Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

hayek's not that bad. he was in with an intellectually bankrupt crowd but there is considerable intellectual depth to his writing, and an acknowledgment of reality that most libertarian-adjacent thought doesn't have

Hayek posted:

There is no reason why in a society which has reached the general level of wealth which ours has attained [that security against severe physical privation, the certainty of a given minimum of sustenance for all; or more briefly, the security of a minimum income] should not be guaranteed to all without endangering general freedom. There are difficult questions about the precise standard which should thus be assured... but there can be no doubt that some minimum of food, shelter, and clothing, sufficient to preserve health and the capacity to work, can be assured to everybody. Indeed, for a considerable part of the population of England this sort of security has long been achieved.

Nor is there any reason why the state should not assist... individuals in providing for those common hazards of life against which, because of their uncertainty, few individuals can make adequate provision. Where, as in the case of sickness and accident, neither the desire to avoid such calamities nor the efforts to overcome their consequences are as a rule weakened by the provision of assistance – where, in short, we deal with genuinely insurable risks – the case for the state's helping to organize a comprehensive system of social insurance is very strong.... [And] there is no incompatibility in principle between the state's providing greater security in this way and the preservation of individual freedom. Wherever communal action can mitigate disasters against which the individual can neither attempt to guard himself nor make the provision for the consequences, such communal action should undoubtedly be taken.

on the other hand he was part of the enthusiastic libertarian delegation to pinochet

so a bit of a wash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Cingulate posted:

Doesn't Spencer call himself a Nazi? I know next to nothing about Spencer. I don't know.

No, he actually strenuously denies being a Nazi. He thinks there's a conspiracy of Jews controlling the media to weaken the White Race, and that we need a "white homeland" where we can live safely away from nonwhites, but he says he isn't a Nazi. People assign the term to him, and they are correct. Similarly:

Charles Murray feels that it is the government's job to subsidize the Right People having children to improve the nation's genetic stock, and to deny aid to the Wrong People for the same reason. This is literally what eugenics is. Sure, he goes out of his way to rephrase it as a "voluntary" eugenics, just like Richard Spencer will insist he only favors "peaceful" ethnic cleansing. But we know where the path leads, and he knows we know it.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So I guess I'll be the one to point out that IQ is a bullshit method of measuring "intelligence" in the first place?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

There's that, there's the fact that Murray uses "heritable" to mean "genetic" (hint as to the difference: zip codes are heritable), there's all kinds of poo poo. But the main one is that Murray is a eugenicist and Cingulate really really wants to deny that, for reasons known only to himself.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Jazerus posted:

hayek's not that bad. he was in with an intellectually bankrupt crowd but there is considerable intellectual depth to his writing, and an acknowledgment of reality that most libertarian-adjacent thought doesn't have

on the other hand he was part of the enthusiastic libertarian delegation to pinochet

so a bit of a wash

oh, Wikipedia was his fault too!

no really:

Reason posted:

"Hayek's work on price theory is central to my own thinking about how to manage the Wikipedia project," Wales wrote on the blog of the Internet law guru Lawrence Lessig. "One can't understand my ideas about Wikipedia without understanding Hayek."

specifically, The Use of Knowledge In Society

i mean personally as a Wikipedian of many years I think it successfully weaponised "someone is WRONG on the internet" but hey

paragon1 posted:

So I guess I'll be the one to point out that IQ is a bullshit method of measuring "intelligence" in the first place?

this is a Dark Enlightenment Stymie "well actually" bat signal

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.
Probably one of the best explorations of the Bell Curve I've seen (it's over an hour long, the first few minutes are skippable):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgZFGgJlAsk

An accompanying article that examines some of Murray's claims in light of lead poisoning data: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/36569/1/MPRA_paper_36569.pdf

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Probably one of the best explorations of the Bell Curve I've seen (it's over an hour long, the first few minutes are skippable):

An accompanying article that examines some of Murray's claims in light of lead poisoning data: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de/36569/1/MPRA_paper_36569.pdf

AHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This pretty much seals the toxx. A very good listen.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Ohhh, I'd been meaning to check this out, thank you! I had a copy of the book on my desk, you've just saved me a huge amount of time.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Uroboros posted:

You’re way more post heavy on this forum than I so I’ll take your word for it. He seemed sincere, and you guys dog piled him for what seemed like a minor crime of mentioning Murray (and Hayek?) as two examples of people who’s work wasn’t immediately worthy of a trash can. I never got the impression that he actually agreed with their conclusions. Again I’m not as hawkishly catching every single post, does Cingulate even identify as libertarian? This doesn’t strike me as Jrod level posting.

Cingulate always seems to be posting sincerely. He’s exactly like that goon in the chess quote, and you’re the guy walking in when the ref is calling him a retard at the end of hours of arguing from idiocy. gently caress, he might actually been the goon from the chess quote, I can’t remember.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Cingulate always seems to be posting sincerely. He’s exactly like that goon in the chess quote, and you’re the guy walking in when the ref is calling him a retard at the end of hours of arguing from idiocy. gently caress, he might actually been the goon from the chess quote, I can’t remember.

I knew what you were talking about, but I had to go and dig for it and found it and read it again and it's perfect:

quote:

A better analogy would be if someone walks into a championship tournament, says "GEE I THINK I MAY HAVE TRANSCENDED THE UNDERSTANDING OF SOME OF YOU GRANDMASTERS HERE, WANT TO JOIN MY NEW SCHOOL OF CHESS STRATEGY?", then loses by scholar's mate twice in the first round.

This person then refuses to leave his seat, claiming that he needs additional proof that the queen in f7 actually ontologically exists before he will admit defeat, and that the rules of the CHESS ESTABLISHMENT were unfairly biased against him by disallowing the possibility of his king being able to leapfrog pieces.

Then he pulls out an ancient shopping list from 1905 and claims that "1. Eggs" means 'The King', "2. Butter" means 'can', and "3. Milk" means 'leapfrog'. This is admissible evidence for his case because he has lived according to the dictates of this list since he was a teenager, and it has drastically improved his quality of life. When the referees tell him that this makes no loving sense, he drags them into a three hour debate over the precise meaning of the words 'makes', 'no', 'loving', and 'sense'.

When people point out that there is more than enough evidence to suggest his list is just a scrap of paper from some long-dead housewife's purse, he rather proudly points out how close-minded they are in dismissing outright the possibility that the list was in fact a secret coded message on the best way to live life, originally formulated by Atlanteans and passed down through the ages disguised as everyday documents. After all, if one starts with the presupposition that such a document exists, then it would be very fair to argue that it is indeed in the form of his shopping list.

Never mind that his previous interpretations of the list led to three convictions and time served for robbery, hate crimes, and murder. These were just unfortunate misinterpretations on his part of the list's true intentions, he says. The list itself is blameless. In fact, the Atlanteans deliberately obfuscated the true meaning of the list in this way, so that it would require multiple failed misinterpretations before one would happen across its TRUE meaning, and in doing so appreciate it all the more.

In fact, he does have some evidence to back up his claims. Why, just last week during his daily meditation on the list, he felt it telling him that something good was about to happen in his future. And yesterday, wouldn't you know it, he found a twenty dollar note on the sidewalk! Evidence of the list's prophetic powers if I ever saw one. And believe him, he has many more stories where that came from.

By now, the debate has splintered off into innumerable tangents, with the one man against literally every other player and referee present at the tournament. Finally, he graciously accepts the possibility of defeat in some of the myriad topics now being covered. OK, maybe the tallest player doesn't always get to go first. Fine, I will concede that there isn't much evidence to support my third-invisible-knight hypothesis. But that's all irrelevant. What he wants to concentrate on, and what nobody has yet been able to disprove, he adds, is the ability of the king to leapfrog over other pieces.

The argument drags on for weeks. Finally, one afternoon, the beet-faced referee exhausts his last reserves of decency and throws his arms up in frustration and despair. "YOU loving RETARD, HOW CAN YOU LAY CLAIM TO KNOWING ANYTHING ABOUT CHESS STRATEGY WHEN YOU DON'T EVEN GRASP THE MOST BASIC RULES!?" He shouts, just as a new entrant walks through the door. "I'm sorry," replies the man calmly, "I simply cannot discuss the rules of chess with such an 'official' if you insist on using such strong and uncouth language. Please retract your insults or I will be forced to plug my ears whenever you say anything from now on."

Seeing only this last exchange, the new entrant pipes up. "He's right, you know. If he did something wrong, then you as the referee have every right to tell him he is so, but it should be done with a patient and thorough explanation of the details of his error. Hurling ridicule at him solves nothing and won't change anyone's mind."

The lazy eye of the retarded List-following, King-leapfrogging man twitches almost unnoticeably, as he cranes his head towards the source of this new voice. A welcoming smile cracks, inch by beaming inch, across his face. He licks his lips. He clears his throat.

"So glad to know decent people like you still value a polite discussion. Care for a game?"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think we all need to stop and make drat sure Cingulate watches that video. Right now.

Cingulate, you'd better watch it, because your toxx is fulfilled.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WampaLord posted:

If that's literally all he's arguing, he's picking the dumbest possible way to do it.

Like, I don't actually care about Libertarians and their love/hate of Snowden, but I do hate dumbass arguing and doubling down. Plus, like I said, it shows a lack of intellectual rigor that leads one into supporting things like The Bell Curve.

That's why I've been pressing it that way, yes. It's just one little aspect of his bad argument "heuristics" and his inability to defend it is illustrative.

Particularly it's the same sort of "evidence" that he was using to say "well this obviously racist writer and book must not be racist because it wasn't first published explicitly saying it was extremely racist".

Cingulate posted:

I don't know how I can make it any clearer than "disapproval of Snowden is a probabilistic cue towards not being a libertarian". Is that sentence somehow badly phrased? Am I using any of the words in a nonstandard way? I'm literally saying everything four times already.

As I said: I'm curious. I said like 4 times the existence of such people was no danger to the argument.

And this is wrong. Why don't you get this? That someone doesn't like Snowden and how he did leaks has no meaningful connection to whether someone is likely to be libertarian, particularly as time goes on and Snowden becomes even more obviously trapped within Russian grip.

So yeah, the existence of the tons of libertarians who don't like him is a very big danger to your argument of "this guy can't be libertarian because among other things he doesn't like snowden". You might as well say "he can't be libertarian because he doesn't like anchovies on pizza".

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I think the truly bitter irony that is The Bell Curve is how it casts doubt upon the intelligence of non-whites, while fully ignoring that the overwhelming intelligence drain that is the Alt-Right and Libertarians that the book goes out of its way to defend as "Intellectuals"

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'm white and I haven't made a coherent argument in this thread to date, QED.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

WampaLord posted:

I knew what you were talking about, but I had to go and dig for it and found it and read it again and it's perfect:

It is indeed a masterpiece. Did Cefte write that?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Weatherman posted:

It is indeed a masterpiece. Did Cefte write that?

No, though I get why you'd think that. It was written by hurrrr2, about former forums creationism champion Victor.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

No, though I get why you'd think that. It was written by hurrrr2, about former forums creationism champion Victor.

Oh god, I remember Preacher Vic. :allears:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

CommieGIR posted:

Oh god, I remember Preacher Vic. :allears:

"Well I don't know why a merciful God would create parasites that can only exist in the eyeballs of third-world children, but have you considered that I could have been sad about a rainy day once but wasn't? What more proof of benevolent divine creation do you need. Also, not enough time is spent reflecting on the sins that Holocaust victims must have committed for God to abandon them to the Nazis, don't you think? Yes, specifically the Jews."

Captain_Maclaine fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jan 21, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm astonished someone like that could last long enough to acquire a posting career on this forum.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Well I don't know why a merciful God would create parasites that can only exist in the eyeballs of third-world children, but have you considered that I could have been sad about a rainy day once but wasn't? What more proof of benevolent divine creation do you need. Also, not enough time is spent reflecting on the sins that Holocaust victims must have committed for God to abandon them to the Nazis, don't you think? Yes, specifically the Jews."

He used to post like a thread or two every week in D&D that tried to shape a current geopolitical event as some sort of proof for Christianity/Lack of faith in the world.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

OwlFancier posted:

I'm astonished someone like that could last long enough to acquire a posting career on this forum.

It will likely not surprise you to learn he got banned a bunch before finally getting perma'd. He got very skilled at badposting in ways that didn't break any rules written or otherwise, which carried him quite a ways before the mods finally got sick of his bullshit.

CommieGIR posted:

He used to post like a thread or two every week in D&D that tried to shape a current geopolitical event as some sort of proof for Christianity/Lack of faith in the world.

Yeah, religious threads use to be a lot more common back then, perhaps part of how he managed to keep going as long as he did.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC one of his personal proofs for God's existence is it was supposed to rain on a relative's wedding day but in the end IT DIDN'T :aaa:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
I never could tell how much of Victor's posting was real or gimmick. Like I think he claimed to keep a database of posts and use some program to "guide" his posting. And would complain if you didn't quote him the "right" way which would screw it up.

Which couldn't possibly be real.

Right?

Right??? :psyduck:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Goon Danton posted:

No, he actually strenuously denies being a Nazi. He thinks there's a conspiracy of Jews controlling the media to weaken the White Race, and that we need a "white homeland" where we can live safely away from nonwhites, but he says he isn't a Nazi. People assign the term to him, and they are correct. Similarly:

Charles Murray feels that it is the government's job to subsidize the Right People having children to improve the nation's genetic stock, and to deny aid to the Wrong People for the same reason. This is literally what eugenics is. Sure, he goes out of his way to rephrase it as a "voluntary" eugenics, just like Richard Spencer will insist he only favors "peaceful" ethnic cleansing. But we know where the path leads, and he knows we know it.

Eugenics would be fine if it didn't get wrapped up in racist bullshit 100% of the time. It's like hell yes let's figure out what makes the human genetic code tick so we can eliminate genetic diseases and improve our bodies in every way we can thi...

...no dude I'm not saying "forbid all non-white people from breeding" where the gently caress did you even GET that idea?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I wish humans were a bit more like dogs with extreme breeds differences. Let's breed really short people with stumpy legs, huge people, tiny people, people who can't breath properly, people who like to bite babies, people good at smelling things, and so on.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Give me a single claim of Murray's that he has actually made, i.e., a single line from the Bell Curve, and I will see if I can find peer-reviewed backup for it. If not, and if it's actually a major issue, I'll stop defending Murray as a scientist.
There, I've made a falsifiable claim. I claim for (almost!) any empirical claim in the Bell Curve, I will find a peer-reviewed source. If I can't, I'm proved wrong, and Murray is proved unscientific.

We can once again add "how science works" to the list of things you don't understand. Finding a peer reviewed paper claiming something doesn't make it scientific to treat those claims as if they are true. Science is a process, it involves context and conversation over time.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jan 21, 2018

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

JUICY HAMBUGAR posted:

Whoa, that channel has some good stuff.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm actually a bit sad how incredibly bad the arguments people are attempting to attack very simple, basic thoughts with here are.

CommieGIR posted:

gently caress, enjoy your toxx probation.

"Ensuring the RIGHT women should breed"

Man, nothing casually racist there.
You will have to highlight the line explicitly advocating the state actively preventing non-white people from "breeding", I don't see what you mean.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Finding a peer reviewed paper claiming something doesn't make it scientific to treat those claims as if they are true. Science is a process, it involves context and conversation over time.

Discendo Vox posted:

You're missing the point, Cingulate. You're not arguing in a setting where "providing a peer-reviewed source" is adequate, if you don't read the source and evaluate it. Even these dead gay comedy forums routinely operate on a sufficient level where we can independently critically engage with peer-reviewed publications.
I agree with this. I'm not saying the Bell Curve is true. I'm claiming: it is as scientific as anything in the field; it often follow higher standards than those arguing against it (ie., those proposing other explanations for the same phenomena, such as Stereotype Threat, a nurture-only story, or oppression-only explanations of inequality); and people disagree with the wrong parts (entirely made-up claims of e.g. endorsing eugenics or claiming the black/white difference is proved to be genetic), and for the wrong reasons (claiming it doesn't follow established scientific standards).

I'm not arguing in favour of Murray's ultimate conclusions; I claim people here are not, in fact, understanding or reading the source. I'm not arguing against criticism, I'm arguing against very, very bad criticism, and for good criticism. You can't claim people are engaging in substantial criticism here. They're just making up stuff, while completely ignoring the actual source. You know that.

Discendo, you of all people should be able to identify when people are arguing about science badly - naively ascribing scientific status to their own beliefs based on terrible evidence and essentially zero reasoning. Why are you not calling out these misunderstandings? I wasn't the first to bring up peer review. You know perfectly well I am very skeptical of the efficacy of current peer review practices.

Discendo Vox posted:

I would agree with you if Cingulate hasn't repeatedly defended Murray, despite much gentler corrections, in a variety of threads, relevant or not, for years. All while refusing to read his work.
I've begrudgingly come around to reading significant chunks of the book since, which has changed nothing but made me a bit more confident in my claims that it's a perfectly average piece of social science (and bored me a bit). Yes, I've made quite the wager here with the toxx, maybe the 407th chapter is all "dinosaurs had 3 boobs".

Uroboros posted:

Cingulate clearly read your Current Affairs article about Murray, and seems to basically agree with it as far as I can tell
Yes, I'm claiming literally the same thing:

Nathan J Robinson posted:

It is crucial to distinguish between the things Charles Murray actually does argue, and the things he is said to have argued. Murray often gets the better of his opponents because they stretch the case against him beyond its limits, allowing him to correctly point out that they are misrepresenting him. Let us be clear, then: Charles Murray does not conclude that the black-white gap in IQ test scores must entirely be the product of genetic inferiority, nor that black social outcomes are entirely genetic in origin. The Bell Curve is not, strictly speaking, “about” race and IQ. And Murray does not argue in favor of a program of eugenics (though the error is easy to make, as Murray speaks positively of the work of previous eugenists and seeming to lament that the Nazi “perversion of eugenics… effectively wiped the idea from public discourse in the West”). Nor should Murray necessarily be called, as so many label him, a “pseudoscientist.” His writings are above-average in their statistical scrupulousness, and he uses no less logical rigor than many highly qualified social scientists do. The problem is far less in his use of the scientific method than in his normative values and conceptions of the good, which affect the uses to which he puts his science.
That is what I've been trying to say over and over and over again.

Uroboros posted:

Look I’m not here to defend Murray. It’s more that what started this whole thing was Cingulate simply used him as someone who can’t be trivially dismissed
As I said, there's two libertarians whose works I'm somewhat familiar with, and Murray is the second. The other's Nozick.

Uroboros posted:

does Cingulate even identify as libertarian?

Cingulate posted:

I wouldn't be a social democrat if I thought [libertarians] were correct

Cingulate posted:

I think social democracy/liberalism is probably good

Goon Danton posted:

No, he actually strenuously denies being a Nazi. He thinks there's a conspiracy of Jews controlling the media to weaken the White Race, and that we need a "white homeland" where we can live safely away from nonwhites
Yeah that sounds fairly Nazi to me I guess?

Goon Danton posted:

Charles Murray feels that it is the government's job to subsidize the Right People having children to improve the nation's genetic stock
I think you have not yet quite grasped the core idea of libertarianism ..? Murray certainly does not want the government to do any such thing. He may in his heart of vilest hearts secretly pray every day that White Jesus wizards it so that High-IQ Scotts-Irish start boning like mad and every african-american man's penis falls off, but he really does not want the government to subsidize anything, least of all high-IQ people having babies. This resistance to government intervention would be, in case you're wondering, because he's a ... l i b e r t a r i a n

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jan 21, 2018

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Cingulate posted:

I'm actually a bit sad how incredibly bad the arguments people are attempting to attack very simple, basic thoughts with here are.

:ironicat:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cingulate posted:

You will have to highlight the line explicitly advocating the state actively preventing non-white people from "breeding", I don't see what you mean.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

And this is wrong. Why don't you get this? That someone doesn't like Snowden and how he did leaks has no meaningful connection
Do you understand any of these words: probabilistic cue; indicia; circumstantial evidence; statistical proof. Because you seem to be arguing from some perverted idealist stance, like you're trying to prove god to the heathens or something ..?

fishmech posted:

So yeah, the existence of the tons of libertarians who don't like him
And you cannot even name a single one. That is how little you know.

fishmech posted:

is a very big danger to your argument of "this guy can't be libertarian because among other things he doesn't like snowden"
It would refute the argument "it's certain proof he's not a libertarian", it does not affect in the slighest the argument I actually made. Again, I offer to walk you through the (very simple) math.

Are you really claiming a reduction of incentives for X equals actively preventing X? Because there's a massive difference between removing incentives and active prevention. This seems to me not even a borderline case. I explicitly had that line in mind when I wrote the 2nd toxx.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The reason child support exists for low income people is because low income makes it harder to support children, society as it is structured inherently discourages reproduction among the poor because they may not have the funds or the time to raise children, hence why funding and childcare is provided. What the book is advocating is clearly to allow that prevention to take place and stop trying to mitigate it.

So, loving yes. The removal of subsidy from the impoverished amounts to preventing them from being able to do the thing the subsidy is intended to permit them to do and this is blindingly obvious to anybody with two brain cells to bang together, you massive disingenuous loving oval office.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Are you really claiming a reduction of incentives for X equals actively preventing X?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The idiotic pretense that systemic effects don't exist is at the core of libertarian politics and if you buy into that then it's no loving wonder you want to slobber that fucker's white supremacist cock.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Cingulate posted:

Are you really claiming a reduction of incentives for X equals actively preventing X?

A decrease in incentives amounts to an increase in disincentives.

If you say that we're promoting a dysgenic agenda, and we should stop doing that by changing government policy, that's eugenicism.

I strongly suspect that, in your heart of hearts, you're a eugenicist. You're just a coward who won't admit it.

In conclusion, you're an idiot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

OwlFancier posted:

The reason child support exists for low income people is because low income makes it harder to support children, society as it is structured inherently discourages reproduction among the poor because they may not have the funds or the time to raise children, hence why funding and childcare is provided. What the book is advocating is clearly to allow that prevention to take place and stop trying to mitigate it.

So, loving yes. The removal of subsidy from the impoverished amounts to preventing them from being able to do the thing the subsidy is intended to permit them to do and this is blindingly obvious to anybody with two brain cells to bang together, you massive disingenuous loving oval office.
You are, from what I can tell, making the following argument:

If X has consequence A and Y has consequence A, then X is an instance of Y. Thus, as a reduction in incentives results in a reduction in births, and an active prevention (e.g. sterilisation, what actual eugenicists did) results in fewer births, reducing incentives is an instance of active prevention.

This is clearly wrong. Actions are not exclusively characterised by partially overlapping outcomes (and intentions). Raising taxes on smoking is clearly not the same as making smoking illegal. Reducing subsidies is very different from making something illegal. I said, "actively preventing a population from 'breeding', not "do something that would in effect result in somewhat fewer births". (I wonder how Murray would deal with the fact that social safety nets correlate with much fewer births internationally; e.g., Norway and Germany have disastrously low birth rates. On the other hand, I think you guys are tacitly accepting Murray's premise that these strata of the population are having babies because of government incentives, which seems rather dubious to me.)

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

A decrease in incentives amounts to an increase in disincentives.

If you say that we're promoting a dysgenic agenda, and we should stop doing that by changing government policy, that's eugenicism.

I strongly suspect that, in your heart of hearts, you're a eugenicist. You're just a coward who won't admit it.

In conclusion, you're an idiot.
I'm a social democrat who's in favour of a strong welfare net, you're just a liar.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Social democrats in favor of a strong welfare state almost all don't carry water for racist eugenicists, so probabalisticaly no you're not.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
You don't really have to get too deeply into what Murray is saying to refute it- many of his presuppositions don't pass the smell test.

The fact that IQ seems to change in populations far more quickly than biology would indicate basically refutes most of them in and of itself- either the tests are off, it's not really genetic, or it doesn't really measure actual intelligence.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Raising taxes on smoking is clearly not the same as making smoking illegal.

The message government sends when they tax smoking is "people smoking is bad and they shouldn't do it". Likewise, if the government ended cash and services for low-income mothers the message would be "poor people having babies is bad and they shouldn't do it".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cingulate posted:

You are, from what I can tell, making the following argument:

If X has consequence A and Y has consequence A, then X is an instance of Y. Thus, as a reduction in incentives results in a reduction in births, and an active prevention (e.g. sterilisation, what actual eugenicists did) results in fewer births, reducing incentives is an instance of active prevention.

This is clearly wrong. Actions are not exclusively characterised by partially overlapping outcomes (and intentions). Raising taxes on smoking is clearly not the same as making smoking illegal. Reducing subsidies is very different from making something illegal. I said, "actively preventing a population from 'breeding', not "do something that would in effect result in somewhat fewer births". (I wonder how Murray would deal with the fact that social safety nets correlate with much fewer births internationally; e.g., Norway and Germany have disastrously low birth rates. On the other hand, I think you guys are tacitly accepting Murray's premise that these strata of the population are having babies because of government incentives, which seems rather dubious to me.)

What the gently caress are you talking about, did you not loving read what I wrote?

If I follow you around and scream constantly does that count as actively preventing you from being heard or do I have to shoot you for it to count?