Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

baw posted:

you can still do goblet squats :unsmith:

I actually can't . Any and all holding/reaching/existing is bad right now.

Felt okay after 4 weeks off, but week 5 has been poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Have a cold so I can't do gym

Practicing headstand freezes instead

Not necessarily a better idea

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

I actually can't . Any and all holding/reaching/existing is bad right now.

Felt okay after 4 weeks off, but week 5 has been poo poo.

go see a doctor

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
325 on deadlift today bois, it felt good.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Never have I felt so feeble as when trying to do headstand pushups for the first time just now

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's good for the adrenaline rush 'cuz if your arms give out you could break your neck!

Muscles or die.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

On the plus side, after several attempts (and hilarious catastrophic failures) I seem to have got the hang of it and can now do something resembling a set of them.

e: If the arms give out, just tuck and roll, I tell myself

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Same.

Having a bum ankle makes it harder.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Data Graham posted:

On the plus side, after several attempts (and hilarious catastrophic failures) I seem to have got the hang of it and can now do something resembling a set of them.

e: If the arms give out, just tuck and roll, I tell myself

if you break your neck people will just think you were trying to suck your own dick

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Wait can you do that of you break your own neck?
Asking for a friend.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
First day doing Madcow 5x5

Texas Method just wasn’t working out for me

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Well my strongman/PL hybrid first week has been big. Last night i did squat and bench and even trying to get it done as quickly as possible i was still in the gym for 2.5 hours.

The first 4 weeks of the 12 week program is an intensification and volume cycle. 4x12 reps of everything except the big stuff like farmers walks and yoke. Bench is no longer touch and go but paused bench which ive never really done before and 12 reps is pretty gnarly. Ive never really done multiple sets of more than 10 reps abd those extra 2 reps are pretty brutal particularly on the 3 main lifts. So all my main lifts have dropped in weight enormously to focus on form and hypertrophy. Bit of a kick to the ego but it will pay off. Im looking forward to sinking my teeth into log and clean and press i think i will get pretty good at those. Yoke and farmers too. I really wish i got into strongman when i was in my early 20s. Still relatively youthful for a 30 year old so i have some good gains still to be made.

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
eatin' salami slices instead of potato chips rn

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Hurt my ribs in the gym and now everything hurts. Coughing, sneezing, walking. Won’t be getting awoke for a while swoledudes. Pray for my gainz to come back soon...

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

RIP, it was nice knowing you

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Also just bought this new shirt for the gym

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Worrying about youthfulness at 30 is making me feel a lot better about how my six-step and freezes are coming along at 42

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm just bummed because i did actually get pretty good at powerlifting when i was 21-22 then fell into a 6 year ketamine addiction and wasted the better part of my 20s in a k hole. At least its a sport/hobby that you can still be real good at in your 30s and 40s but i missed that peak growth window i think. If i ever have kids im going to force them to do MMA and some sort of weightlifting from a young age in the hours between feeding them when i unchain them from the basement.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Fartbox posted:

RIP, it was nice knowing you

:(

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

Data Graham posted:

Worrying about youthfulness at 30 is making me feel a lot better about how my six-step and freezes are coming along at 42

What do those words mean

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather

Sludge Tank posted:

a 6 year ketamine addiction

i would like to know more about this. i have never heard of a long term ketamine addiction.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Every weightlifter over the age of 30 is an addict or an ex addict

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

satanic splash-back posted:

Every weightlifter over the age of 30 is an addict or an ex addict

:/

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
I'm glad I started lifting at 14 and have taken some longer breaks but never really stopped.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pesmerga posted:

Hurt my ribs in the gym and now everything hurts. Coughing, sneezing, walking. Won’t be getting awoke for a while swoledudes. Pray for my gainz to come back soon...

If you've strained an intercostal it's going to feel like that for most of the week.

Does it spasm every time you try to relax, like you're having a heart attack?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I keep bruising my ribs (usually by falling on them or draping myself over things like while working on cars) or popping them out of place and they can make it impossible to even breathe properly for months.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Start of the 4th week of the new year cut. Lost 7 lbs over the past two weeks, though I'm guessing some of that is water weight fuckery, else my tdee estimate is way off. Still a long way to go to not being a fat load. I feel really good but all my main lifts have stalled, except, surprisingly, for ohp, which used to be the hardest for me to make any progress on. I think I need to space out my heavy lifts better.

Also protein powder has started making me seriously ill, so it's getting harder to get enough protein. I'm already sick of chicken breast.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 22, 2018

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Dum Cumpster posted:

I'm glad I started lifting at 14 and have taken some longer breaks but never really stopped.

I wish I had started as a teen as well. You get so much workng out as a youngin' compared to when you start as an old (me)

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

I never expect to progress any Main lifts when cutting. It's the only real drawback aside from not drinking.

Found out on Friday that since I'm a support role for my team that they're not flying me to Hawaii in March for a customer thing. On one hand im bummed because I'd be hitting the beach every day, but now I don't need to cut early and get in a few more pounds before summer cut time.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Fartbox posted:

I wish I had started as a teen as well. You get so much workng out as a youngin' compared to when you start as an old (me)

Problem was way back then you had no idea what the gently caress you were doing unless you happened to have a relative who did or went to the right high school.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

ham_sanitizer posted:

i would like to know more about this. i have never heard of a long term ketamine addiction.

What would you like to know? I had a 6 figure salary and lots of free time, was deeply unhappy and was emotionally scarred from a breakup at 21. At my peak i was going through an ounce every couple of weeks. I am amazed i dont have any lingering effects. I was an absolute train wreck and over the course of that time I lost most of my friends, put another really nice girl through emotional hell with my addict behaviour (we were together for 3 years) and nearly died through misadventure and suicide more times than i could count. I deliberately tried all the other nasty drugs in my hedonistic rampage but nothing really stuck like ketamine did. Its an introverts heaven. It began bringing on cluster headaches and i was amazingly depressed and unhealthy. Hearing or thinking about ketamine immediately brings on literal salivation like Pavlovs dog. The only real reason i stopped was when they shut down silk road and i had no easy access any more. If i stumbled across a cheap source of really good ket then i would very probably get straight back on it again. Thankfully its hard to come by here, never any good and upwards of $200/g

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 22, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Sludge Tank posted:

What would you like to know? I had a 6 figure salary and lots of free time, was deeply unhappy and was emotionally scarred from a breakup at 21. At my peak i was going through an ounce every couple of weeks. I am amazed i dont have any lingering effects. I was an absolute train wreck and over the course of that time I lost most of my friends, put another really nice girl through emotional hell with my addict behaviour (we were together for 3 years) and nearly died through misadventure and suicide more times than i could count. I deliberately tried all the other nasty drugs in my hedonistic rampage but nothing really stuck like ketamine did. Its an introverts heaven. It began bringing on cluster headaches and i was amazingly depressed and unhealthy. Hearing or thinking about ketamine immediately brings on literal salivation like Pavlovs dog.

I'm an anesthesiologist and I use a lot of this stuff (on other people) in my practice. Do you have any idea the dosages you were using? I've literally never met anyone who has been a recreational user before. To be honest, nobody looks all that much like they're enjoying it when I give it. The typical dose I administer to someone is 50 mg IV.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
A lot of the time i was snorting it. I was injecting for a while but preferred snorting because of the ritual. I once injected 500mg IM. Tolerance buildup for k is insane. It becomes an Olympic event. The most i dosed with was about 1 gram. Youre constantly topping up too. Ketamine definitely isnt for everyone. A lot of people hate it. It took me a while to get used to it and by that time i really found the escapist value in it. 50mg IV would be a real good time for someone with no tolerance. I would do 150-200mg IV.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

are your kidneys okay?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I think so. I'll probably get renal cancer when im older though.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Only hit 180x6 on my 1+ for bench which is a little depressing. But when I started 5/3/1 like 8 cycles ago, I think I had to really struggle just to bench 155 for 5 so it's not all bad. Plus my first 2 cycles were pretty much a waste.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017

Sludge Tank posted:

I think so. I'll probably get renal cancer when im older though.

Don't worry, you don't have to be old to get cancer

You could wake up tomorrow with full blown cancer just waiting to kill you

then finally, you may find the sweet embrace of death we all long for

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Speaking of destroying your kidneys, apparently studies show you should take 5-6 mg/kg of caffeine pre-workout

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgzOrvbYwqc&t=80s

That's loving insane, does anyone actually do this? I'm 210lb, here lemme just take 3 caffeine pills or slam FOUR cans of monster

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Jut lol if you dont open palm slam a pint of espresso before gym

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ham_sanitizer
Jul 12, 2014

professional swine bather
i have done ketamine recreationally once before and really enjoyed myself. i just can’t imagine doing it often. thanks for sharing, sludge.