Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Koskinator posted:

but once you do beat it you can’t play it casually anymore.

That should say non-casually, no? My understanding is that you can go back and replay it as much as you want after beating it in scenario mode, but you don't get any unlocks or bonus xp etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ragnar34 posted:

Yall weren't kidding about Black Barrow being hard. I got rocked. Is it generally recommended to replay it in casual until you're good enough to win, or is it better to just go to scenario 2? I'm leaning toward the former, because I'd rather get better immediately and I want to at least reach that chest in the back, but I could see an argument for powering through.

Regardless, I'm terrible with the cragheart. I need to reread those Imgur guides. Maybe I shouldn't be tanking with it in a two-player setup, but the spellweaver is just so fragile.

Just reduce the difficulty level by 1 for the first scenario. You'll already be getting rules wrong and it's hard enough to learn all the class cards. The damage to your ego by playing on easy is inconsequential compared to how important it is to get off to a good start. Just look at all the BGG threads complaining the game is broken after one incorrect play and house ruling it into oblivion.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jan 27, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is the kickstarter 10-part campaign a good way to learn the game before diving into the real campaign worldbook?

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

ShaneB posted:

Is the kickstarter 10-part campaign a good way to learn the game before diving into the real campaign worldbook?

Most threads on BGG and reddit say that the mini campaign is a bit harder cause the ramp up is much more steep cause there are only 10 scenarios. Much more special rules and stuff in a shorter time frame. Unfortunately I haven't played it myself but I definitly want to.

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck
Where can you even find the mini campaign?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Cauldron Moose posted:

The first one is the Kickstarter Expedition in https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_Kg48xnAmsoaDZMN1owNnZ2N2M ; there'll be a second one in a couple months.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Cauldron Moose posted:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1765807/mini-scenario-links-summary

Cauldron Moose
Dec 25, 2010

Actually a duck

Max Peck posted:

The first one is the Kickstarter Expedition in https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_Kg48xnAmsoaDZMN1owNnZ2N2M ; there'll be a second one in a couple months.

Thanks!

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I beat scenario #1 on the second try, and unlocked scenario 2 AND #67, and found #81 upon walking into town, and it looks like I'll be adding another two to the board after I beat #2. The range of options is already outrageous. I think I'll check out one of those side scenarios after I beat #2. Or maybe not! Or maybe not. We'll see how I feel.

For this first try of scenario #2, (strategy talk) I donated to the church with both characters because the two blesses might help alleviate the effect of those three curse cards. 10 gold seems steep for a one-run boost for most missions, but I also want to see what's in envelope B, so it's an investment anyway.

It's page 50, so most people aren't saying this kind of thing at this point, but: Gloomhaven rules and I'm glad I bought it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'll be retiring my Mindthief after our next mission. Just hit level 5, so I get one run with a level 5 card. Ironically, if I wasn't retiring I'd consider backfilling another card from a previous level instead, because neither of the level 5 cards look that interesting to me! The mass muddle seems the most generically useful, but we have a cragheart so... I think I'll take it anyway, but for this mission I'll pick a totally different card suite to usual and try things out stacking both the +damage and muddle+poison augments.

For those interested in the earlier discussion, I ended up putting Strengthen (instead of Bless) on the Move/Heal. Then I saved up the 105 to put +1 move on it too, and it feels really awesome. (We're still at prosperity 1, so I won't be enhancing any other cards - just buffing the top half of that one as a going-away present I guess.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Donating to the church is well worth it, particularly if you routinely have ways to get Advantage. The crits are fantastic.

We unlocked Moon last night, that guy's fun. And our Spellweaver finally retired.

I now have to (Triforce spoilers) support my Elementalist all on my own. THis is a LOT harder than when the Spellweaver chucks out all 6 elements twice a mod and routinely feeds me. And the Moon keeps nicking them

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I just unlocked Triforce and I’d like some advice. The mainstays of my party are a Tinkerer and a Spellweaver with a Mindthief who will be around a bit. If I commit to Triforce, is our team going to get wrecked?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

I just unlocked Triforce and I’d like some advice. The mainstays of my party are a Tinkerer and a Spellweaver with a Mindthief who will be around a bit. If I commit to Triforce, is our team going to get wrecked?

As long as you coordinate well on elements you'll be fine.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
City Event 10 spoilers:From the bottom option: "In combat, what matters most is planning and tactics, which are far more interesting than some random roll of the dice." RIP the fourth wall

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Is there a quest or something which tells you to track how many times you've donated? I don't recall seeing any mention of it in the rulebook.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mikey Purp posted:

Is there a quest or something which tells you to track how many times you've donated? I don't recall seeing any mention of it in the rulebook.

It's towards the back of the rulebook. There are tickboxes for a bunch of stuff and Sanctuary donations are one of the things.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Doing it online is honestly way easier though. It's useful to do even without the extra blesses, as it contributes to prosperity.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

If you're considering an early sprint to the donation goal, you should consider reading this spoiler: One of the retirement goal quests is donating 120g to the temple, so you might want to spend your money elsewhere until you draw that.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Finally got my copy in and played yesterday. It was fun as heck and I'm looking forward to continuing.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Played two scenarios yesterday. Honestly both came super close to losing but we were able to squeeze it out. In one of them we started really disadvantaged bc of a road event then won on the scoundrel and tinkerers last turn while the brute was already exhausted ( toooo much tanking). Hella fun.
I think we're tackling the Brutes retirement mission next to unlock Cthulhu symbol!!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainRightful posted:

If you're considering an early sprint to the donation goal, you should consider reading this spoiler: One of the retirement goal quests is donating 120g to the temple, so you might want to spend your money elsewhere until you draw that.

but you can still donate after you reach that goal

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Doorknob Slobber posted:

but you can still donate after you reach that goal

Sure. I just wanted to mention that for anyone who wants to optimize efficiency or is skipping out on other stuff they want just to grab the donation goal ASAP.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

My group is Spellweaver (me) + Brute + Tinkerer most of the time. We're only four scenarios in and I have exhausted myself on the last or second to last turn in every game so far. My spellweaver likes naps.

Also our very first road even in the very first game was you see a bunch of animals running away! Follow them or no? And we chose no. Which made us walk into a forest fire and start the game with like 3 damage each and all poisoned. I think it was a good way to make us suspicious of all road events forever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

NmareBfly posted:

My group is Spellweaver (me) + Brute + Tinkerer most of the time. We're only four scenarios in and I have exhausted myself on the last or second to last turn in every game so far. My spellweaver likes naps.

Also our very first road even in the very first game was you see a bunch of animals running away! Follow them or no? And we chose no. Which made us walk into a forest fire and start the game with like 3 damage each and all poisoned. I think it was a good way to make us suspicious of all road events forever.

A good suspicion to have, imo.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Do you do road events when you travel from Gloomhaven to a scenario, like, say, Black Barrow? I've been going to Gloomhaven after every scenario, whether I succeeded or failed, and drew a city event followed by a road event once it's time to go. Is that correct?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ragnar34 posted:

Do you do road events when you travel from Gloomhaven to a scenario, like, say, Black Barrow? I've been going to Gloomhaven after every scenario, whether I succeeded or failed, and drew a city event followed by a road event once it's time to go. Is that correct?

Not quite.

If you fail a scenario, you can just try it again - you don't need to go back to Gloomhaven. You only need to do another road event if you do decide to go back to Gloomhaven first (for example, if you want to level up). Similarly, after successfully completing a scenario, you can go straight on and do a linked scenario without having to do a road event first.

Also, if the scenario is in Gloomhaven itself, you don't draw a road event (you're already there!)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Amazon sold out of the YASS storage boxes, lol. https://www.amazon.com/Plano-23600-01-Stowaway-Adjustable-Dividers/dp/B011ZXH43Q

For people who went with the Broken Token solution - do the pieces fall out in transit? It doesn't look there's anything to keep everything from spilling if it gets tipped over or held sideways.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 28, 2018

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I like to go to Gloomhaven after failures because it means I get another city card, and I've been enjoying those. But I'll remember that.

I also want to draw as many cards as possible because my cragheart's quest is to do side missions, after which I unlock the moon/eclipse class, which looks loving radical.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

silvergoose posted:

A good suspicion to have, imo.

Very good, yeah. I've lost so many loving ticks to road events.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

I like to go to Gloomhaven after failures because it means I get another city card, and I've been enjoying those. But I'll remember that.

I also want to draw as many cards as possible because my cragheart's quest is to do side missions, after which I unlock the moon/eclipse class, which looks loving radical.

I just drew the same personal goal for my new Triforce class!

Which I unlocked by retiring a Cragheart.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Some Numbers posted:

I just drew the same personal goal for my new Triforce class!

Which I unlocked by retiring a Cragheart.

My cragheart had a choice between the eclipse personal quest and the triforce quest. This game is rigged.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Triforce quests are super in flavor for the Cragheart.

Which retroactively makes a ton of sense when you unlock Triforce.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Does anyone know if you can use a retired character for Solo Scenarios?

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Some Numbers posted:

Does anyone know if you can use a retired character for Solo Scenarios?

You cannot, but we might anyway since the official option is to remake a character and spend another 25 hours leveling up just to do one scenario.

Edit: oh well actually the new one would just start out at level 5 if have enough prosperity and have plenty of gold and perks, so I guess it wouldn't be a big deal either way.

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jan 29, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, my Cragheart leveled up to 5 just before retiring and since we're only at 3 Prosperity, it would take a while to get a new one up to level 5.

Oh well, we still need to retire a new character before we can access said scenarios anyway.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Jabor posted:

Also, if the scenario is in Gloomhaven itself, you don't draw a road event (you're already there!)

More generally, you don't draw a road event if the scenario you're about to play is linked to your current location, and all the scenarios in Gloomhaven are linked to Gloomhaven.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Can you make a new character when you want? If you unlock a class, play it once, don't like it. Can you just make a new guy?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

KingKapalone posted:

Can you make a new character when you want? If you unlock a class, play it once, don't like it. Can you just make a new guy?

I think the only restriction on new characters is your party has to be in gloomhaven to make them

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
Friends dog ate an item card. How hard is it to get replacement parts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

tekz posted:

Friends dog ate an item card. How hard is it to get replacement parts?

Is it one there's 2 of, or do you know what it is? Shouldn't be too hard to proxy a replacement.