Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

nmfree posted:

"scubaed dive", it's like "Attorneys General"

Thank you kindly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you think whales have to teach their young how not to get the bends?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Whales don't breathe pressurised air, so I don't think it'd be a problem?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nah they've found whale bones with the telltale scarring.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I'm reporting all of you to Sea Patrol.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Icon Of Sin posted:

I just want to note that people get away with this while freediving because you didn’t take on any additional air to your lungs; if this happened while scuba diving, you’re going to get one of the more terrible flavors of DCS. I wanted to make that distinction, because that question tends to come up often enough when people ask me about some of the differences between scuba and free diving.

Yeah, the only air that gets increased pressure is in your mask where you exhale through the nose to compensate for the pressure and your inner ear where you equalize. Both these just flow freely out when you ascend, which feels weird and fun. (And why you shouldn't dive if you've got a cold) As mentioned, you can get "lung squeeze", not only at great depths but also if you pack your lungs by trying to get as much air in as possible before the dive.

I didn't go deep, maybe 20 ft or so. Haven't done it since, but will at some point, it's a great activity with less hassle than scuba and easy access to a wide range of tasty foods in the upper 60 feet of the sea. But I guess that belongs in a different thread.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

nmfree posted:

"scubaed dive", it's like "Attorneys General"

Off topic, but I can't even tell if you're kidding. English is such a bastard language with conflicting grammar rules that it's fun to just think up plausible conjugations ("I have scuba diven, you haven't scuba divved, she scuba dove" etc), and an acronym-turned-adjective like "scuba" fucks it up even more. Google is very little help, and seems to suggest "gone scuba diving", "scuba dived", or "scuba dove" depending on whether or not you're an American, and if so, whether or not you live in the midwest.

ObChemistry: Silane is a chemical I'd have assumed was pretty inert, but is apparently quite poisonous and explosive. The wiki page says it can form silicic acid in your eyes, but the page for sicilic acid uses the words "theoretical" and "hypothetical" so often I can't even tell if such a thing exists.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Syd Midnight posted:

Off topic, but I can't even tell if you're kidding. English is such a bastard language with conflicting grammar rules that it's fun to just think up plausible conjugations ("I have scuba diven, you haven't scuba divved, she scuba dove" etc), and an acronym-turned-adjective like "scuba" fucks it up even more. Google is very little help, and seems to suggest "gone scuba diving", "scuba dived", or "scuba dove" depending on whether or not you're an American, and if so, whether or not you live in the midwest.

Everyone I work with just says "went scuba diving" or just "went for a dive" or whatever.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Yo just been out to get my dive on, really dived it 1000%, totally dive.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Scuba duba did.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I learned about something called fulminating gold, apparently one of the first-ever high explosives discovered (in the 16th century) and renowned for being "expensive and explosive." Pretty much every alchemist and chemist until the 1900s has been injured by an exploding chunk of the stuff and it took until the end of the 20th century before anyone even figured out what the formula even is.

How did I find this out? There's a publicly-traded company that wants to process a ton of the stuff a day to strip gold from PCBs in a small Tennessee town. Given recent history it seems like such a plant would be better situated in Texas...

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Scuba chat is cool. I didn't know half of the things that could go horribly wrong there.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kinetica posted:

Scuba chat is cool. I didn't know half of the things that could go horribly wrong there.

Well then have I got a read for you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byford_Dolphin

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Explosive decompression like in the movies isn’t real.

Except that one time...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

When your pressure gradient looks like a cliff, you're gonna need a spatula and a 50 gal bag to recover the bodies.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kinetica posted:

The doc I did the study with a few years back is an anesthesiologist by trade, but got pulled into diving medicine because he started exploring the narcotic effects of various gases at various partial pressures. Things that would kill you at the surface (air with > 15% O2, for example) interact with chemistry in such a way that it's safer to breathe that than the air we breathe now. We had to do some fairly in-depth ( :v: ) diving physiology as part of my divemaster program, but I'm not convinced many of them retain an understanding of that unless they go on to become instructors. I see diving as sitting in this weird intersection of pressure physics, chemistry, biology, and physiology that no single field entirely covers. It's still a really niche activity whose outer bounds haven't really been well explored yet. Jacque Cousteau's grandson (Fabien) was part of a study a few years ago to see if any long-term effects manifested from living under pressure for extended times (among a whole pile of other objectives), so he stayed at FIU's Aquarius lab (formerly NASA"s NEEMO lab, in the Florida Keys) for 31 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_31

quote:

Q:Most people will never get the chance to live underwater. Sounds like the stuff of science-fiction.

A: It was. So many of the small, everyday things differed vastly. For example, you can’t whistle down there. Your hair grows so much faster. And the air was syrupy – it’s very hard to breathe at three atmospheres. But thanks to that underwater research station, the only one in the world like it, we could scuba dive between six and 12 hours every day. The scientists on our team collected three years’ worth of data in those 31 days.

quote:

Q: Were you ever scared?

A: Only of the long-term effects. My sense of taste went dull – so much so that I had to put hot sauce on everything, and I’m not a hot-sauce person. I was afraid I’d lost my taste buds forever. Luckily, they came back.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Mythbusters actually did a decompression experiment and it is loving horrifying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRC5R1jRO58

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Trig Discipline posted:

The Mythbusters actually did a decompression experiment and it is loving horrifying.

:gonk:

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

LostCosmonaut posted:

Except that one time...

vacuum is only 1atm away from normal :v:

also much less corrosive than water

space: probably safer than being 100m underwater

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

The doc I did the study with a few years back is an anesthesiologist by trade, but got pulled into diving medicine because he started exploring the narcotic effects of various gases at various partial pressures. Things that would kill you at the surface (air with > 15% O2, for example) interact with chemistry in such a way that it's safer to breathe that than the air we breathe now. We had to do some fairly in-depth ( :v: ) diving physiology as part of my divemaster program, but I'm not convinced many of them retain an understanding of that unless they go on to become instructors. I see diving as sitting in this weird intersection of pressure physics, chemistry, biology, and physiology that no single field entirely covers. It's still a really niche activity whose outer bounds haven't really been well explored yet. Jacque Cousteau's grandson (Fabien) was part of a study a few years ago to see if any long-term effects manifested from living under pressure for extended times (among a whole pile of other objectives), so he stayed at FIU's Aquarius lab (formerly NASA"s NEEMO lab, in the Florida Keys) for 31 days.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_31

Wait, why does your hair grow faster?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

UberJew posted:

vacuum is only 1atm away from normal :v:

also much less corrosive than water

space: probably safer than being 100m underwater

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4RLOo6bchU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

5000ft= ~151 atmospheres worth of pressure. I love that the writers kept up with the little details like that ☺️

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Phy posted:

Wait, why does your hair grow faster?

It's being squeezed out obviously.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Icon Of Sin posted:

5000ft= ~151 atmospheres worth of pressure. I love that the writers kept up with the little details like that ☺️

If you listen to the commentary tracks on Futurama DVDs they talk a lot about how a bunch of the writing staff are actually math and science Ph.D.s

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Syd Midnight posted:

Scooby-Doo'd?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Trig Discipline posted:

If you listen to the commentary tracks on Futurama DVDs they talk a lot about how a bunch of the writing staff are actually math and science Ph.D.s

Including Ken Keeler, who came up with a new theorem just for one episode.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The History Channel had one of those terrible "Doomsday: How the World Will End" serials where one of the examples they gave of the last humans who'd still be alive would be those in submarines.

I think in the rogue planet and rogue black hole episodes, the sub got sucked into space and the crew were still alive simply because the sub was still suspended in water being siphoned from the surface and for the same point being made - that if a pressure vessel can survive multiple hundreds of atmospheres (the Seawolf's actual test depth is classified but that HY-100 steel is some nifty poo poo), it can survive zero...so long as the oxygen holds out.

They didn't fare well during the GRB episode, though. :rip:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The History Channel had one of those terrible "Doomsday: How the World Will End" serials where one of the examples they gave of the last humans who'd still be alive would be those in submarines.

I think in the rogue planet and rogue black hole episodes, the sub got sucked into space and the crew were still alive simply because the sub was still suspended in water being siphoned from the surface and for the same point being made - that if a pressure vessel can survive multiple hundreds of atmospheres (the Seawolf's actual test depth is classified but that HY-100 steel is some nifty poo poo), it can survive zero...so long as the oxygen holds out.

They didn't fare well during the GRB episode, though. :rip:

It's speculated a GRB was a cause of a mass extinction event at one point! :eng101:

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Decoy Badger posted:

I learned about something called fulminating gold, apparently one of the first-ever high explosives discovered (in the 16th century) and renowned for being "expensive and explosive." Pretty much every alchemist and chemist until the 1900s has been injured by an exploding chunk of the stuff and it took until the end of the 20th century before anyone even figured out what the formula even is.

How did I find this out? There's a publicly-traded company that wants to process a ton of the stuff a day to strip gold from PCBs in a small Tennessee town. Given recent history it seems like such a plant would be better situated in Texas...

gently caress me running, it even blew up part of its wikipedia page

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Syd Midnight posted:

ObChemistry: Silane is a chemical I'd have assumed was pretty inert, but is apparently quite poisonous and explosive. The wiki page says it can form silicic acid in your eyes, but the page for sicilic acid uses the words "theoretical" and "hypothetical" so often I can't even tell if such a thing exists.

Silicic acid is a hydrothermal fluid that has been inferred to have been given off by rapidly-rising granitic plutons as they exsolve fluids due to pressure loss. There are reaction fringes around the Heemskirk Granite in Tasmania where some of the limestone it intruded into has been dissolved and then replaced by quartz, theorised to have crystallised out of silicic acid. As far as theories go it fits all the available data, but it happened ~360 million years ago. It's very hard to piece together things from that far ago with a lot of certainty.

Which brings me to my next quote:

iospace posted:

It's speculated a GRB was a cause of a mass extinction event at one point! :eng101:

While the end-Ordovician EE patterns of dying can be considered to match those theorised as would happen from a proximal GRB, there isn't any actual evidence. Speculation is the right word.

Really, the K-Pg event is the only one we have hard evidence for, and that was only 65 million years ago and left actual positive physical traces. Anything further than that and you're staring down the barrel of at least one supercontinent cycle and the recycling of 90%+ of all of the continental crust on the planet. Hard to pin things down.

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

Memento posted:

Anything further than that and you're staring down the barrel of at least one supercontinent cycle and the recycling of 90%+ of all of the continental crust on the planet. Hard to pin things down.

Surely you mean oceanic crust ...

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Duodecimal posted:

Surely you mean oceanic crust ...

Yeah I do, sorry. recycling oceanic crust, sediment-loading and burying continental crust.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

LostCosmonaut posted:

Except that one time...

In space, you're only going from 1atm to 0. Human bodies don't like it but can withstand it well enough that lack of oxygen is a bigger problem (followed by being roasted by the god drat sun if you're not in shadow). 9 atmospheres to 1 is a much bigger change.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

LostCosmonaut posted:

Except that one time...

Those who didn't see the post / username combo get airlocked.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

To me, the most grimly fascinating part of the Bryford Dolphin incident wasn't the dude who got salsafied, but the other poor bastards who were just chilling out in their bunks reading. Going straight from 9 atm to 1 atm caused the lipids in their body to congeal, basically turning their blood into gelatin in a matter of milliseconds. They didn't even have time to sit up or go "wtf", just died laying there still holding their books, and were already in rigor before the first guy had finished dripping off the ceiling.

There's dying, and then there's dying in some horrifying new way that nobody has ever died before.

Trig Discipline posted:

omfg the sound it makes. That horrible crunching popping noise. If I saw that happen to a person IRL I'd probably have to eat a gun barrel.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Trig Discipline posted:

While that's ghastly and totally accurate, the nature of that diving apparatus is misleading about the dangers of that 'decompression'. Having the breathing pipe sturdily attached to 1atm results in the really unusual scenario of the entire weight of the sea trying to push him back up that pipe until his mush-liquid is level with the top of the sea. With almost any other setup - say, hypothetically, a pressure-equal suit with its own source of canned air - having a small crack will result in a very slow dribble of water coming in. Which is bad no doubt, just not violent.

Anways huge derail, back to talking about OH-NO.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
This BBC doco on saturation divers is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BWSMrgi3I

At 21:20 they go over the lifeboat drill, but you'll really want to have watched all of it up to that point so you know what the hell is going on and why they all sound so weird.
Anyway, these divers are living in a pressurised tube for a month and breathing heliox, so the boat they are on needs a special hyperbaric lifeboat that they can get to via an airlock. "It's basically a metal coffin", say the divers.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Gromit posted:

This BBC doco on saturation divers is interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3BWSMrgi3I

At 21:20 they go over the lifeboat drill, but you'll really want to have watched all of it up to that point so you know what the hell is going on and why they all sound so weird.
Anyway, these divers are living in a pressurised tube for a month and breathing heliox, so the boat they are on needs a special hyperbaric lifeboat that they can get to via an airlock. "It's basically a metal coffin", say the divers.

Ftfy.

How do you go about rescuing people from a hyperbaric lifeboat like that? I assume they'd have to move to another hyperbaric chamber to decompress slowly, but getting them from a lifeboat in the middle of the ocean to another pressure chamber seems awfully difficult.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Serephina posted:

While that's ghastly and totally accurate, the nature of that diving apparatus is misleading about the dangers of that 'decompression'. Having the breathing pipe sturdily attached to 1atm results in the really unusual scenario of the entire weight of the sea trying to push him back up that pipe until his mush-liquid is level with the top of the sea. With almost any other setup - say, hypothetically, a pressure-equal suit with its own source of canned air - having a small crack will result in a very slow dribble of water coming in. Which is bad no doubt, just not violent.

The point of that segment wasn't at all to say that this is a common occurrence or hazard of most diving. It's Mythbusters. There was a story about a guy who was doing surface-supplied hard hat diving just like that when something went wrong, and as the story goes he was basically liquified and sucked up into his own helmet as a result. They were trying to demonstrate whether or not that was even possible, and it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So which is worse? Being crushed to death in a metal tube or having your brain slowly Alzheimer itself months after spilling a couple of drops of dimethylmercury on your glove?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJ7M01jV058

The goggles gloves, they do nothing.