Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LSI and MegaRaid can gently caress off forever.

Why did 3ware have to sell out. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

EDI provider: "the customer sent us over some test orders, we're ready to go live!"

Day of go-live:
1. Customer lookup fails
2. Part # lookup fails
3. Purchase order # is 0-padded
4. No items have any prices on them

So they basically meant "The test order made it into our mailbox"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Hungry Computer posted:

Last week I posted about Dell being uncooperative with resetting a BIOS password. We weren't able to get Dell to reset it, but luckily this site still works on newer Dell laptops: https://bios-pw.org/. I have a few misgivings about putting a laptops full serial number on a random website, although I'm not sure what they could do with it.

Thanks for the link, that could be tremendously handy

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dick Trauma posted:

An interesting development: the CEO has yet another iPhone X (because he keeps smashing them in a fit of rage) and he asked Bill to set it up, but refused to give Bill his Apple ID password! In the past he hasn't hesitated to give Bill passwords for any and all of his services.

Now Bill is stuck in a Catch-22 because he can't complete the transfer from the broken phone to the new one without the password, but he also knows that the CEO is too impatient to stand by during the process to provide his password.

A DILEMMA!

This has dragged out into today, and wound up becoming my problem because the CEO is an idiot. I had to put a piece of plastic wrap over the screen of his old phone because it's so shattered there's no way to touch it without getting cut. I have to wonder how long this lovely new iPhone X is going to last before it too falls to the CEO's rage.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Apple should really sell a version of the iPhone that has a durable screen like the Moto X Force.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

As an Apple stock holder, please tell him I said "thanks".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

<sound of CEO smashing X before it finishes being set up>

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hungry Computer posted:

I have a few misgivings about putting a laptops full serial number on a random website, although I'm not sure what they could do with it.

I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't actually submit anything, it's just javascript. The source code is linked at the top: https://github.com/bacher09/pwgen-for-bios

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Dick Trauma posted:

This has dragged out into today, and wound up becoming my problem because the CEO is an idiot. I had to put a piece of plastic wrap over the screen of his old phone because it's so shattered there's no way to touch it without getting cut. I have to wonder how long this lovely new iPhone X is going to last before it too falls to the CEO's rage.

I know the answer is going to be "because he doesn't want to" but has the option of something like an OtterBox been put forward? Frame it as a convenience thing, "hey, drop it, run over it with your car, whatever, it's good."

I'm suggesting this for my own sanity.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I know the answer is going to be "because he doesn't want to" but has the option of something like an OtterBox been put forward? Frame it as a convenience thing, "hey, drop it, run over it with your car, whatever, it's good."

I'm suggesting this for my own sanity.

He does not want to use a case of any kind. I expect it drains away some of the satisfaction of reinforcing one's sense of wealth by repeatedly destroying expensive equipment.

EDIT: Had a lovely moment with the COO. During my iPhone odyssey the CEO, COO and CFO are all in the conference room next to my office. The CEO made clear I only have until 1pm to finish the phone transfer. At the very end of the process I need his Apple ID password. I bring the phone to the conference room, knock on the glass door (the walls are also glass) and step in. I hand him the phone and he puts his info in, goes through the verification and then asks me a couple of questions.

The COO looks at me and say "Is it okay if we finish what we were doing?"

Due to months of practicing not giving a poo poo I was easily able to restrain my urge to say "Go right ahead you lizard-lipped jug-eared goat-fucker." Instead I said "The CEO gave me until 1pm to finish this, so I'm obliged to interrupt in order to get him what he requires."

He didn't have a response to that. I expect that getting that pissy little comment out there was enough to make him feel like a big man for a while.

Dick Trauma fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 2, 2018

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Hungry Computer posted:

Last week I posted about Dell being uncooperative with resetting a BIOS password. We weren't able to get Dell to reset it, but luckily this site still works on newer Dell laptops: https://bios-pw.org/. I have a few misgivings about putting a laptops full serial number on a random website, although I'm not sure what they could do with it.

Somehow the security implications of this didn't hit me until my lunch break. There's no way of stopping people from seeing the code that is needed to plug into that site for Dell machines - It's displayed on the admin and boot password prompts. Even if you could block that the code is literally just the service tag + one of 6 suffixes, so an attacker could just go down the list of suffixes until they get a code that works.

Dell models released in the last year or so have a Master Password Lockout option in the UEFI that will protect you against this at the cost of giving up your only admin password recovery option. For older models you're just hosed.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

As far as I can tell if you're using secure boot and have bitlocker enabled then being able to remove the UEFI password still doesn't let you get at the data.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
on DickTrauma's boss

How the hell do people with that level of anger problems make it into that level of power? Also like... people really do rage smash poo poo? Like... adults rage smash poo poo?

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

As far as I can tell if you're using secure boot and have bitlocker enabled then being able to remove the UEFI password still doesn't let you get at the data.

True, but it would still let you boot from USB. Also we don't have either of those enabled. We're forced to keep everything in legacy/BIOS mode because of our ancient imaging software, and people above me are inexplicably hostile to bitlocker.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

silicone thrills posted:

on DickTrauma's boss

How the hell do people with that level of anger problems make it into that level of power? Also like... people really do rage smash poo poo? Like... adults rage smash poo poo?

My boss at $AWFUL_JOB once:

1) punched a hole in the office wall because he was so mad that we made a mistake at a client, it was a pretty decent error, but the truth was it was something we messed up that we were unqualified to do, so what did he expect?
2) threw a sandwich at the wall because it had the wrong roast beef on it

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Hungry Computer posted:

Somehow the security implications of this didn't hit me until my lunch break. There's no way of stopping people from seeing the code that is needed to plug into that site for Dell machines - It's displayed on the admin and boot password prompts. Even if you could block that the code is literally just the service tag + one of 6 suffixes, so an attacker could just go down the list of suffixes until they get a code that works.

Dell models released in the last year or so have a Master Password Lockout option in the UEFI that will protect you against this at the cost of giving up your only admin password recovery option. For older models you're just hosed.

Ye olde 'remove CMOS battery and reboot' doesn't work to completely reset it? It's been way too long since I've had to do anything like this.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

silicone thrills posted:

on DickTrauma's boss

People born into wealth are used to getting whatever they want, when they want it. It means that when something goes wrong, they absolutely cannot handle it, and it also means they get to stroll into positions of power (because they or their parent owns the company or the parent company). Finally, because they have effectively limitless resources, they do not face consequences for anything outside of public felony.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I guess I always figured that horrible c levels got away with poo poo like sexual harassment but purposely destroying company property was always a thing that landed under immediate termination in my head.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I would like to hear more about the roast beef options. :allears:

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

silicone thrills posted:

on DickTrauma's boss

Most people who make it into that level of power have that kind of anger problems. It's a requirement for the job. If you don't have these problems, you're missing out.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/ceos-often-have-psychopathic-traits-2017-7
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/21/apparently-psychopaths-make-good-ceos.html

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Hungry Computer posted:

True, but it would still let you boot from USB. Also we don't have either of those enabled. We're forced to keep everything in legacy/BIOS mode because of our ancient imaging software, and people above me are inexplicably hostile to bitlocker.

At a certain point anyone who has physical access to a machine almost certainly has the data within it, regardless of how well it's protected.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

All roast beef is the correct roast beef.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Peachfart posted:

:hai:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Peachfart posted:

Not Ray, Not Pat.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Iron Rose posted:

At a certain point anyone who has physical access to a machine almost certainly has the data within it, regardless of how well it's protected.

At least with fde that “certain point” becomes “when a practical exploit for the encryption method exists” instead of “how long does it take to boot a flash drive”

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Wrong roast beef? Like, :argh:This is BOAR'S HEAD and I EXPLICITLY asked for HILLSHIRE FARM!

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Aunt Beth posted:

Wrong roast beef? Like, :argh:This is BOAR'S HEAD and I EXPLICITLY asked for HILLSHIRE FARM!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4UWdlfH86s

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

setting up relying party trusts is a thing that constantly makes me angry

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

xzzy posted:

LSI and MegaRaid can gently caress off forever.

Why did 3ware have to sell out. :smith:

Doing anything with a LSI-based card other than flashing it into -IT mode (without boot rom) and using it as a straight passthrough HBA is the suck.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GROOVE

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Agrikk posted:

Doing anything with a LSI-based card other than flashing it into -IT mode (without boot rom) and using it as a straight passthrough HBA is the suck.

On the other hand, they work really well in IT mode. For the most part :v:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Aunt Beth posted:

It was actually that he is wanted Boar's Head but I got him store brand.

I'm 100% not fooling.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Hungry Computer posted:

It can be awfully handy. I got given an old Compaq laptop (one those "If you can get it working, you can have it") things. BIOS-locked, of course. Posted the serial and reference code on the forums, and had a perfectly good unlock code inside an hour. Pity it is a slowass piece of crap.

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 3, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My computer is slow.

High severity ticket at 12:30am on a Saturday. :jerkbag:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not Ray, Not Pat.

man why you even have to go and do a thing

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

skooma512 posted:

My computer is slow.

Way back when I did support, it was such a good feeling to move them from "1" to a "3", which was basically "when we get to it". The fact the user would get an update on that change in status was the cherry on top.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skooma512 posted:

My computer is slow.

The butt version of this is a “my instance rebooted unexpectedly. Please provide RCA ASAP.” support case coming at 2am with critical severity.

I cannot NOPE the gently caress out of these cases hard enough.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do you get them when someone manages to get a VM instance compromised where it's got SSH open to the world and a simple password, as though security is AWS's problem?

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

Proteus Jones posted:

Way back when I did support, it was such a good feeling to move them from "1" to a "3", which was basically "when we get to it". The fact the user would get an update on that change in status was the cherry on top.

We do our prioritization a different way. The user can select the priority (High, Medium, or Low) if they submit their Incident via a form. However, that priority is mapped to a useless field called "User Defined Priority." The support guy decides what the real priority is using the bog standard ITIL impact and urgency, but it's completely hidden from the end user. No notifications informing them it has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
We have a software vendor that consistently fails to meet their SLAs. They're owned by a multi-billion dollar company. The low-tier SLAs (priority 3 or 4) have a two-week SLA (again, that is pretty frequently missed). And that's not two-week resolution, that's two-week response. Tier 2 has a 24-hour SLA, and tier 1 has a 4-hour SLA. Tier 1 is only the entire system being down. Tier 2 is an issue impacting many customers (I've never gotten a solid number, but somewhere from tens to hundreds). This is literally the most important software in our company, and there is no penalty for them failing to meet their SLA.

Is this fairly typical?