Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The more I think about this episode the less I like it

I think if they were so married to Gohan getting knocked out they should have at least let him get eliminated by Toppo so he could accomplish something instead of yet another double elimination sacrifice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I kinda hope toppo is popular enough to make it into some games because I like his design a lot

MonsterEnvy posted:

Twas a fun episode though I don't get how Vegeta just suddenly powered up enough.

powering up out of nowhere is like the defining trait of saiyans

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I need a gif of that smug Jiren smile

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Frieza's reappearance was equally pointless.

I'm pretty sure it's James Marsters, there were quotes/reports going around a while ago that he was doing it as a mea culpa for Evolution.

Whoever's doing him in the show is the same person who did his voice in Xenoverse 2, anyhow (but hopefully with much better direction).

Well that owns

Vegeta vs Toppo was great, had those Yu Yu Hakusho vibes going strong and Jiren rolling his eyes over the result was fantastic

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Blockhouse posted:

I think if they were so married to Gohan getting knocked out they should have at least let him get eliminated by Toppo so he could accomplish something instead of yet another double elimination sacrifice

Someone at Toei likes Android 17 a lot.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

He accomplished something, he brutalized Frieza.

He didn’t knock him out I guess but who cares

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Star Man posted:

Someone at Toei likes Android 17 a lot.

it's pretty funny how he's by far the smartest fighter after all the hype they gave gohan for his intelligence

maybe if anyone but his sister knew anything about him, they'd have made 17 the team leader instead of gohan

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Manatee Cannon posted:

it's pretty funny how he's by far the smartest fighter after all the hype they gave gohan for his intelligence

maybe if anyone but his sister knew anything about him, they'd have made 17 the team leader instead of gohan

And someone at Toei really hates Gohan.

It just sucks. The greatest sin that Krillin and Tien et al. have is that they're just human. 17 and 18 are only able to compete because they're genetically enhanced to have unlimited ki. Gohan, a character foreshadowed to overcome his father, chose a life of academia instead of fighting. Piccolo's strength is that he didn't make the mistake of being human, but being a Namekian isn't as much of an edge as it turns out. If a character wasn't born a full-blooded Saiyan or a grey alien or you didn't get the right artificial enhancements as a kid, then your only hope is that a show writer likes your character a lot.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor in there that the Saiyans are the noble Japanese samurai with no master and everyone else is a savage from another land or a weakling.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Star Man posted:

I'm sure there's some kind of metaphor in there that the Saiyans are the noble Japanese samurai with no master and everyone else is a savage from another land or a weakling.

I don't think there is.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

technically the saiyans are savages from another land

e: also toriyama specifically doesn't like the portrayal of goku as a heroic figure

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't think there is.

Never underestimate the power of Japanese imperialism.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

no you're pretty incredibly wrong here

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

At the beginning of the episode, I thought to myself "Man, Goku gets all kinds of hosed up all the time and then we get these badass shirtless Goku fights where he has tatter of his gi all hanging around his waist and Vegita never gets his outfits torn up all cool like that"

And then the episode loving delivered

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Toriyama especially is not a fan of that kind of thing.

His generation, by and large, are super against that bullshit and a lot of things that he idolized and respected and was inspired by went against it too.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I will withdraw from my statement.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

technically the saiyans are savages from another land

e: also toriyama specifically doesn't like the portrayal of goku as a heroic figure

Maybe he shouldn't write him as one.

I dunno.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Burkion posted:

Toriyama especially is not a fan of that kind of thing.

His generation, by and large, are super against that bullshit and a lot of things that he idolized and respected and was inspired by went against it too.

things toriyama is extremely for: off-shore tax shelters

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i love vegeta

hes my favorite and he will always be my favorite

good vegetaing this episode, looking forward to more vegetas

also now that hes used the self-destruct explosion while non-majin and without dying its going to be in every fighting game, which will rule

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

vegeta lost his shirt so i think hes gonna be the one to defeat jiren

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also jiren keeps complimenting him and goku never wins a fight in super soooo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Goku beat the Bear thing, and the evil goo!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

thats like pointing out vegeta killed android 19.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

my prediction for the end of this arc: Vegeta and jiren are going to punch eachother really hard and vegetas gonna fall to the ground and then jiren says something all stoic and badass like well done before falling off the ring.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

thats like pointing out vegeta killed android 19.

Killing 19 is literally his biggest accomplishment in Z.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

frieza is still gonna be the last one standing. vegeta will get chumped to kick goku into full UI mode to beat Jiren and then frieza will smack a very tired goku out of the ring at the last second so hes the only one left to get the wish

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Pretty sure at this point Vegeta will just straight up refuse to ever be a god of destruction after seeing what it turns you into. Beerus keeps his job, everyone's happy.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Vegeta now has full control over "THATS MY BULMA." he is now stronger than goku, even ultra instinct goku.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
hey he beat pui pui

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Actually his biggest accomplishment is cheapshotting Cell for Gohan as winning fights in itself isn't important.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Pureauthor posted:

hey he beat pui pui

yeah but that was mid life crisis vegeta. Look at him now

FooF
Mar 26, 2010
17 is toast next episode so that leaves Vegeta and Goku (and Frieza off-screen) against Jiren. Think we'll get Gogeta or will Vegeta get punked before Goku hits UI again?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Oh Snapple! posted:

I enjoyed Jiren throwing shade at Toppo for throwing his ideals away for nothing.

also people being like “wow they beat a GoD” it has been pretty clearly stated he is still below Belmod and any of the GoDs hanging around. Even Beerus makes a point of how he clearly cant properly use hakai

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fargin Icehole posted:

Pretty sure at this point Vegeta will just straight up refuse to ever be a god of destruction after seeing what it turns you into. Beerus keeps his job, everyone's happy.

Vegeta's going to refuse to throw away anything and then get the job anyway.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

CharlestheHammer posted:

Killing 19 is literally his biggest accomplishment in Z.

Eh I'd argue his best was waking up from recovering and devised a plan in mere seconds to get 5 dragon balls under Frieza and Zarbon's watch was quite an accomplishment. And destroying that punching machine and made everyone gasp in horror.

e:

CharlestheHammer posted:

Actually his biggest accomplishment is cheapshotting Cell for Gohan as winning fights in itself isn't important.

This one too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

vegeta gets promoted from prince of all saiyans to god of all sparkles

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Kashuno posted:

also people being like “wow they beat a GoD” it has been pretty clearly stated he is still below Belmod and any of the GoDs hanging around. Even Beerus makes a point of how he clearly cant properly use hakai

Frieza did the same thing when he reached his gold level and Vegeta makes fun of him for not learning how to maintain that power level before booking it right to Earth as soon as he achieved it.

Then again Goku was able to beat Frieza with a brand new transformation, but maybe the raw power was enough to overcome that lack of experience with it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So what Jiren said (which had Goku respond "How could you say that!?"), was he referring to Toppo or Goku?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

So what Jiren said (which had Goku respond "How could you say that!?"), was he referring to Toppo or Goku?

jiren was talking to toppo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

eonwe posted:

jiren was talking to toppo

How could he say that!?