Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
All heroes of justice have an 90's extreme phase once or twice in their careers.

Toppo's still cool in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Toppo is super cool and fun and goofy and his Destroyer form was legit intimidating to see maul Freiza

He'll reform and use it as a lesson, same as always

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Toppo did nothing wrong.

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Kaioshin Vegeta sounds pretty rad, like he just transcends it all and becomes Prince of Everything

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe if Jiren wasn't such a sadsack and had actually eliminated somebody Toppo wouldn't have fallen to the dark side of the force.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Saomeone called Toppo 'Satsui No Hado Toppo' earlier. Honestly, that pretty much sums it right up. He's gone full Akuma, and what did it get him? Not even the strength to do what he went so deep in it for.

Seeking something beyond strength. Jiren is going full Ryu.

There was a picture much much earlier in here which had a shadow of what seemed like a much smaller Jiren from some sort of game or speculation. Looks like that's about to come true.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jiren turning into some creepy nihilanth thing final form while going full Buddha on Goku would be neat

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Awww
Geets is now a full on shonen protagonist

Super Saiyan Blue Cares? Vegeta does!

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dude has spent 20 goddamn years climbing and this is one hell of a peak to reach

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It was made extremely clear last episode that Toppo abandoned his sense of justice and righteousness. His Beat down on freeza has nothing to do with this. Toppo made it very clear that he had given up on his values, and regardless of who Freeza is the Toppo who cared about justice and righteousness didn’t fight the way he was fighting as a GoD. That’s the point. Toppo has chosen to keep the moral high ground before, and it’s clear from belmod that even as a candidate Toppo was extremely hesitant to abandon his beliefs on justice. Even Vegeta comments how different he is from the fight they had before. Jiren is disgusted and disappointed for this exact reason; Toppo abandoned himself in the pursuit of power, something Jiren very clearly has an issue with.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Stallion Cabana posted:

I guess it depends on how it goes next week. It definitely came off to me as Jiren essentially giving Toppo the standard 'you have failed me for losing' thing rather then being upset at him for giving up on his Justice, which definitely came off as frustrating when combined with how a lot of this tournament has been going so far. I think the whole thing is still bad, but it's possible it's not exactly how it seems with Jiren's reaction.

EDIT: also yeah for all his talk about giving up on Justice, he beat up Space Hitler and that's it. He never even actually punched 17, he just chased him around for awhile.

Jiren says he "expected more" from Toppo before turning to the other fighters and explicitly praising them for not doing what Toppo did. It's pretty overt.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Idk how people can’t follow the very basic message of a Sunday morning cartoon

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kashuno posted:

People are very dumb

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Black August posted:

you just advocated for Kaioshin Vegeta

hasn't vegeta suffered enough

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I'm surprised Goku was able to hold his own against Jiren while Vegeta was off kicking Toppo's rear end. Either that or they both decided to grab some popcorn and watch the show

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I like that goku is like "Whoa thats not a very nice thing to say Jiren" only to get immediately kicked in the head and then congratulated.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I hope after the tournament there's a shot of Jiren and Toppo in a spaceship or something, the both of them sitting ramrod straight, staring at the wall in dead silence.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Kashuno posted:

Well the message is pretty clear but it was also pretty badly told.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man this episode owned. Vegeta owns. Super owns. Also

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I like that goku is like "Whoa thats not a very nice thing to say Jiren" only to get immediately kicked in the head and then congratulated.

and especially

Kashuno posted:

Onmi posted:

People are very dumb

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Toppo gave up on his pride. Vegeta didn't. Jiren was disappointed in the former. Also doesn't give a gently caress about Goku's dream of Punching Really Strong People.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Jiren is a dad with three kids, one gave up on practicing law to become a Wall Street investor, one kept at it and the third one is actually a pretty successful musician but that's not a real job, you slob.

so basically jiren is every late 30s goon in any discussion about youtubers making money

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I want the tournament to end with Goku/Vegeta vs Jiren. Time runs out, and as U11 is being erased Jiren walks up to Vegeta,shakes his hand, and says “well done, warrior” as Goku screams and shouts about not getting any attention from Jiren

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I want Jiren's Final Form to be slimming down and becoming an actual Grey alien.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

So if Freeza is willing and able to use his Paralysis attack, and it apparently works on GoD-tier characters (even if only for a short while)...

Why didn't he use it on Dyspo? The guy who's thing is being hard to catch?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Pureauthor posted:

I want Jiren's Final Form to be slimming down and becoming an actual Grey alien.

He'll become Jaco's long-lost twin brother.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I will say the ToP has thrown some serious loops though. 17 still around, Gohan going out before freeza, Vegeta getting a huge win, main antagonist is more interested in Vegeta than Goku, the power up of the arc not trouncing or even really bothering the antagonist. It has been good

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Gazaar posted:

Vegeta blazing through destruction energy is pretty easily explained by him utilizing particularly powerful god ki of his own.

Except that's not the explanation they give, it's "I'm going to hit you really hard so your barrier that blocks everything doesn't work"

At that point why even bother with the gimmick? That's what really sticks with me about this episode. Nothing about it feels like a good execution of last weeks build up, top to bottom.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Vegeta was surrounding his fists in God Ki before punching Toppo through the GoD aura

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I mean who cares we have seen people not worry about weak hakai since before the tournament, and we already know there are beings above the GoDs in power. Toppo may be a GoD, but he is still brand new to the skill set that comes with it. He has trained some, but we have no idea how long the other gods ha e been training with the angels (seems like millennia)

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

I'm slightly more confused by them thinking that dropping rocks (seriously, rocks) on Toppo was supposed to accomplish anything.

And then when Toppo busts out of the deadly, deadly rocks we get reaction shots of people looking surprised.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Pureauthor posted:

I'm slightly more confused by them thinking that dropping rocks (seriously, rocks) on Toppo was supposed to accomplish anything.

And then when Toppo busts out of the deadly, deadly rocks we get reaction shots of people looking surprised.

Episode probably came up a few minutes short.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

jivjov posted:

Vegeta was surrounding his fists in God Ki before punching Toppo through the GoD aura

This pretty much explained it easily for me. 17 and Freeza are both super powerful but don't actually understand the whole God Ki thing and haven't been personally trained by the teacher of a powerful God of Destruction; they can put all the raw power in the world into their attacks but magical hakai god energy deletes their puny mortal attacks. Meanwhile Vegeta is using god powers at a level beyond an honest to god novice God of Destruction so it's not really a hard sell that he can simply bull through.

Pureauthor posted:

Honestly, I don't blame 17 for trying it because the dude was completely, entirely out of options and is probably just thinking "gently caress I need to buy any amount of time at all" since nothing was working.

The audience going "hell yeah good job that got em" was really, really hilariously silly.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Feb 4, 2018

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Personally this episode was on the lower quality end for me. Not by it's own merits, but by everything that came before it.

Vegeta gets a powerup through his determination, Final Flashes Jiren and accomplishes nothing aside from knocking him and getting a compliment.

Vegeta gets another powerup through his determination, can now atatatatatatata against Jiren next to his good ol buddy Goku and accomplishes nothing

Vegeta gets a THIRD powerup through his determination and finally manages to accomplish something. The exposition says it's a sacrifice cause he is now out of energy, but next episode already show that's a lie.

Frieza oh ho ho hos, tries to stop the Hakai energy ball and is completely owned and presumed out of combat. He isn't.

Frieza in typical Frieza fashion loses his poo poo and throws a tantrum and tries to destroy everything, gets pummeled into thin paste by Toppo and is left out of combat at the edge of the arena. He isn't.

Frieza comes back to his oh ho ho confident and collected self despite the previous ownage, reminds the audience that "Yo, the writer team watched Dragon Ball! Here is my Telekinesis as a callback", gets blasted by a ki ball that was not targeted by him and is presumed out of combat.

Toppo is completely owning the 2 guys that he is fighting with but instead of finishing off decides to go after the guy that Jiren is not even trying against and gets monstered of the week without having accomplished anything.

The last episode ended with "How will 17 manage to fight against this opponent that greatly outclasses him?" they start the episode implying the answer is "By outsmarting him", but then mid episode they decide the answer was "by having Toppo fight someone else entirely for no reason".

The fights were cool as were some interactions, but the whole execution was a complete mess

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Feb 4, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I do appreciate vegeta getting his first straight win against an actually relevant threat since, what, android 19?

there are really long stretches of dbz with one bad guy total and even when there are more, it's often down to stalling until goku gets there. the top has been hit or miss in how its handled the cast but at least they get something and the format means any win is important. tien may have sucked but he did more here than he did against nappa or even king piccolo

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lezard_valeth posted:

The fights were cool as were some interactions, but the whole execution was a complete mess

This sums up my feelings as well. Like the whole deal with Jiren being disappointed with Toppo could have worked really well if they put more time into it, but as it is now its just really lackluster.

Characters get severely injured and drained of all their energy and then are just back up with no consequences, like whats even the point now? Frieza gets brutalized and is up and ready to go not 30 seconds later. Vegeta gives almost everything he has to beat Toppo but will be completely fine when its time to fight Jiren, its all so weird.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I feel an easy way to fix a bunch of problems here would've been to just have Vegeta ringed out after his Final Explosion. Not dead, but he destroyed like half the ring, he could've easily fallen out of it at that point (since logically he can't have any ground below him after that), and then reappear with the other ringed out guys, heavily wounded and KOed or nearly so, body all burnt, but still alive. Everyone can still point out how he survived a suicidal move, Jiren can still praise Vegeta, but then GoD Toppo actually accomplishes something instead of being a "threat" that does less than Dyspo, as well as not having Vegeta suddenly back at full power next episode after using everything on this one.

The execution of all of this would still be lacking, mostly due to Toppo kind of not working in general, but it fixes some of the issues while still giving Vegeta a big, important moment of self-improvement.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
What if jiren goes super whatever race he is and they need to fuse

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005
I keep seeing people say Vegeta is getting too many powerups, but I only really count one.

The Final Flash against Jiren isn't a new thing. 'Powered up' attacks goes all the way back to Raditz when Piccolo kills him and Goku with Makansopotomous. He did it against Cell too.

Then he gets his real powerup with Blue 2 or whatever.

Then it's just more of that aginst Toppo. Because we only ever see him fighting Jiren after he powers up it's hard to say oh he got even stronger than that to fight against Toppo.

I think ya'll just hating on my boy Geets. :colbert:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I thought it was super simple that hakai is only as strong as the person using it and how willing they are to destroy. Toppo didn't want to erase people and so he held back, but even then you can overpower Hakai if you're just too strong for it to break down like any other energy attack that's done nothing in this series. Maybe God Ki in particular has some canceling effect on Destruction Energy and that's why they don't want competent and powerful Supreme Kais fighting with their respective GoDs so they life bind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Ougher posted:

I keep seeing people say Vegeta is getting too many powerups, but I only really count one.

he clearly powered up several times. you don't need a new attack or special form to get stronger. like when he fought beerus, vegeta never got a new form; he just got stronger because he was mad