Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I feel like the tournament probably would have been better as individual matchups.

I could imagine a league of sorts where each universe has 9 participants who each fight once with one reserve. They face every other universe once, 3 points for a win, 1 points for a draw, 0 for a loss.

Contrive it so that U7 does well, needs a win in their last match to draw on points and have it be Vegeta vs. a top fighter. Vegeta goes all out, wins but absolutely exhausts himself doing so.

Tiebreak is Goku vs. top fighter from whatever universe.

A lot of the problem the ToP has from a mechanical perspective is that Goku and Vegeta could probably have OHKO'd most of the tournament on their own. So ultimately even though Roshi's moment is cool, Roshi vs. some jobber has no real affect on the tournament itself.

Comparatively if Roshi's your 9th chair but absolutely needs the win for you to stay live in the tournament, even though he's against some jobber, the fight still has stakes.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If you do that we lose the best moments of this tournament, including the Roshi moment

Really the issue with this tournament is, as neat as he is, Jiren. He is so incredibly overpowered that realistically it doesn’t matter who made it this far, because other than a Goku/Vegeta combo maybe no one can come even close to matching Jiren. No universe has put up anyone that is even close to top tier other than 7/11, and that’s the lame part. If they got rid of freeza or 17 and put some fighter from another universe in that was comparable in power to Goku/Vegeta/Jiren it would take care of itself mostly

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Kefla would have given Jiren a good fight imo

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

multijoe posted:

Kefla would have given Jiren a good fight imo
Yeah my impression is that Kefla's power is maximum and Goku only won because he was able to Ultra Instinct around her attacks, which were not fully controlled and strategic. He beat her in the tournament's terms but he didn't necessarily end the fight on a permanent basis.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

he broke their potara which is pretty permanent for kefla :v:

they do explicitly state that goku's not as strong as her tho

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They said Kefla was probably stronger than Goku was when he first went UI, so she could have at least done something against Jiren. Just you wait until tomorrow, when she unlocks super Saiyan 5.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Caulifla and Kale actually aren't erased, Hit trapped them in an alternate dimensional bubble and they will reappear with 1 minute left as Kefla with no Potara.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kashuno posted:

Caulifla and Kale actually aren't erased, Hit trapped them in an alternate dimensional bubble and they will reappear with 1 minute left as Kefla with no Potara.

Please don’t spoil excerpts from Kale’s dream diary

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Cran posted:

Yeah, the pacing of the arc isn't the best as is, but every episode being one in-universe minute of a tournament with a time limit exacerbates just about every issue I have.

Whether or not you think Toppo's character moment was effective, it's real dumb that it took less than two minutes for it to happen. Namek Time is only funny before you have to watch all 70+ eliminations happen one by one.

They've been doing stuff super fast ever since the first DB tournament or when newbie Gohan was told to follow ki instead of with eyes because they did stuff too fast to naturally see. Krillin and Roshi had a long back and forth nonsensical thing in like a second, it was already established that they've been working at super fast speeds forever.

And talking is a free action in anime.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This tournament has had so many callbacks that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Yajirobe shows up at the last second to save everybody from certain death.

Or Gohan's tail grows back again and Vegeta uses the last of this strength to throw a moon ball, causing him to transform in the stands and throwing the whole tournament into chaos because that's way too cool for Xeno to disqualify him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I'm still mad we didn't have a kaiju fight between the u3 fusion and some great apes

how have none of the giant monsters in dragon ball ever fought each other wtf

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

amigolupus posted:

That, and the scene of Frost being on the run and vowing to make it up in the tournament lead to absolutely nowhere. He could've gone on a redemption arc to differentiate him more from Frieza.

It's also dumb he never interacted with Hit even once in the tournament when Hit was the one who thought they needed him.

Cabba too, which seems even more glaring when he held a grudge against Vegeta of all people.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Frost was lovely Freeza. Like he existed just to be a weaker, cowardly Freeza who tries to trick people all the time and then he gets chumped.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
If he was good Freiza, he'd be interesting. As it is, Freiza himself was way more interesting.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I hope Toyotaro doesn't just make Manga Frost turn out like he is in the anime, he's a lot more interesting there.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 6, 2018

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Black August posted:

Please don’t spoil excerpts from Kale’s dream diary

No, the dream diary is the stuff about Kale and Caulifla's wedding

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Spiritus Nox posted:

what do you think the fusion was they are married now

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm still mad we didn't have a kaiju fight between the u3 fusion and some great apes

how have none of the giant monsters in dragon ball ever fought each other wtf

Now I'm sad that there wasn't a 3-way fight between Giant Piccolo, Giant Bergamo and U3 Fusion. :sigh:

deadly_pudding posted:

This tournament has had so many callbacks that I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Yajirobe shows up at the last second to save everybody from certain death.

Or the ultimate Dragon Ball callback: asking someone math questions.

EDIT:

Hunt11 posted:

Aren't they sisters?

https://twitter.com/WeebSimpsons/status/920444143280836609

amigolupus fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Feb 6, 2018

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spiritus Nox posted:

Aren't they sisters?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hunt11 posted:

Aren't they sisters?

No. Its Japanese gang vernacular, like calling someone 'bro' when they aren't your brother.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

No. Its Japanese gang vernacular, like calling someone 'bro' when they aren't your brother.

Huh. I just checked the wiki and it looks like you are right.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I can't wait for 17 to pull out a win, with the finale before the hiatus being a huge party on his boat.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Zore posted:

Yeah it's the girl gang version of calling your gang leader "Aniki", or "Big Bro"

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Hunt11 posted:

Aren't they sisters?

Kale and Cauli are about as close to a woman's couple as a mainstream anime will dare to tread and I hope Goku gets invited to the wedding and the bouquet-toss is actually them putting on the earrings to fuse and kick Goku into the crowd like a deflated soccer ball

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Black August posted:

Kale and Cauli are about as close to a woman's couple as a mainstream anime will dare to tread and I hope Goku gets invited to the wedding and the bouquet-toss is actually them putting on the earrings to fuse and kick Goku into the crowd like a deflated soccer ball

Suddenly, Vegeta is all too excited to renew his vows with Bulma and join some competitive clown tossing.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

The Bee posted:

Suddenly, Vegeta is all too excited to renew his vows with Bulma and join some competitive clown tossing.

Tell me with a straight face, looking unblinking into my eyes, that you would not sever a pound of flesh to see an episode of their wedding where Vegeta gets trashed as hell and completely melts down over how happy he is to be back with Saiyan culture, and one that isn't self-terminating.

Then he annihilates half the estate brawling Goku when Cauli eggs him on.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Mordaedil posted:

If he was good Freiza, he'd be interesting. As it is, Freiza himself was way more interesting.

Extremely this. If Frost turned out to actually be a good version of Fr(ie/ei/ee)za it would have been more fun.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Good Frost would’ve been as bland as Cabba

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Squallege posted:

And Cabba was still more than Frost.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The problem with Frost is that if from the get-go you're setting him up to be 'Freeza except X' then you either end up with a dude lugging around a single main character trait or you actually need to devote screen time to exploring the 'except X' which the show isn't interested in.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Mordaedil posted:

And Cabba was still more than Frost.
Nah, Frost is at least someone you love to hate. Cabba is as interesting or entertaining as plain toast.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Squallege posted:

Nah. It could've been super good, especially with how Frost was written. Freeza is basically the pinnacle of evil in the show, so Frost was the exact opposite, so nice and lovable that people who cared the most about Goku literally turned against him because Frost was impossible to not root for.

Making Frost just the most pure-hearted person ever would've been hilarious. Especially if the series still went as it did and Frost and Freeza met in the ToP, and both were just so incredibly disgusted at the other.

Then again, literally anything would've been better than Lamer Freeza. Cooler already did that, and better at that!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Cabba is a very good boy who looks up to his master

he owns

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cabba's not the worst character but his design is just dull puke. All of the new Saiyans are.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Steve2911 posted:

Cabba's not the worst character but his design is just dull puke. All of the new Saiyans are.

I wonder if they were trying to do a thing like they're all skinny and compact because they stayed on their homeworld, and U7 Saiyans are all loving huge and jacked because their adopted world's gravity was different.

That might be too clever to attribute to being on purpose.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I figure they just wanted to make them teenagers but they had no idea how to draw a teenager so instead they came across as weird bean people.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

which is weird since the buu saga didn't have any problems with teenagers

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Considering Kale gets buff even in her normal Super Saiyan form and the other two don't, it really seems to just be a weird design decision. I put it with blue haired Trunks in that the show decided to just run with it regardless of what we would expect.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I was really hoping they made his hair blue because he was going to stick around :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the solution of having trunks and mai go live in another timeline was weird imo and they should have just kept him around if they were gonna bring him back anyway