Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

iospace posted:

Which makes me wonder.

Can C6N20 be used as a rocket fuel?

Anyone know any grad students? Let's find out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Mustached Demon posted:

Preferably ones named Timmy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Mustached Demon posted:

I know a bunch of tech school students.

Does that work?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

If there was ever a time that I was glad to have chosen geospatial science over chemistry/biochemistry, this seals it :)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

iospace posted:

I know a bunch of tech school students.

Does that work?

Yeah definitely.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

CellBlock posted:

so yeah, we're just throwing all the terrible poo poo we can find into a big pot.

Another possible thread title candidate here

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

StandardVC10 posted:

Another possible thread title candidate here

I sometimes see what I call the "I don't know what the gently caress bath" come through my area. It's basically all the common mineral acids, besides perchloric thankfully, dumped into a tub.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

C6N20 looks like a computational chemist came up with it because there's no data on Pubchem except for structure and some calculated stuff.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Zil posted:

Preferably ones named Timmy.

...is that, is that a Dinosaurs reference? :swoon:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Arglebargle III posted:

C6N20 looks like a computational chemist came up with it because there's no data on Pubchem except for structure and some calculated stuff.

Is Hangzhou Sage Chemical Company still a thing?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Marcade posted:

...is that, is that a Dinosaurs reference? :swoon:

Indeed. Timmy's just seem more than willing to sacrifice themselves for science.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Found in the Spaceflight thread, for your viewing pleasure:

shame on an IGA posted:

A 1966 NASA safety training film wherein a mad scientist smashes a vial of nitrogen tetroxide on his lab bench and then squirts a syringe of hydrazine at it

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bDRKeM9kKxs

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

iospace posted:

Which makes me wonder.

Can C6N20 be used as a rocket fuel?

If ignition! has taught me anything, it's that drat near anything can technically be used as a rocket fuel.

Now, being able to successfully propel the rocket in one direction reliably is another story.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Memento posted:

Is Hangzhou Sage Chemical Company still a thing?
IANAC but I when searched the name, the first 12 results were "about" pages for them, either their domains or chem supply sites. The 13th result was a blogspot stub about FOOF that included a short recipe/suicide method:

quote:

(Note: Never try this, for reasons which will become obvious in a moment.)

Fill the cooker with oxygen up to 5 PSI, then pump in fluorine until it starts escaping through the safety valve. Put the vessel over an open flame until it reaches 700°C (That’s °C, not °F. Yes, this will probably set off the smoke alarm.) Now, pump the hot gas over a liquid-oxygen-cooled stainless steel surface.

The procedure here is a little tricky, but if you do things right, the gas will condense into dioxygen difluoride (O2F2).

And that stuff is awful.
The next 16 results are more "about" pages, with the exception of the wikipedia page for FOOF, and an "I need to dissolve a body in a barrel" discussion on some forum.

So apparently they still exist, still sell FOOF, and are still infamous for that. (this all just seemed thread-appropriate, tbqh I only looked because I figured they'd been shut down and I wanted to make a "liquidated" or "after a period of rapid expansion" etc. joke)

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 16:02 on Feb 13, 2018

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Syd Midnight posted:

IANAC but I when searched the name, the first 12 results were "about" pages for them, either their domains or chem supply sites. The 13th result was a blogspot stub about FOOF that included a short recipe/suicide method:

The next 16 results are more "about" pages, with the exception of the wikipedia page for FOOF, and an "I need to dissolve a body in a barrel" discussion on some forum.

So apparently they still exist, still sell FOOF, and are still infamous for that. (this all just seemed thread-appropriate, tbqh I only looked because I figured they'd been shut down and I wanted to make a "liquidated" or "after a period of rapid expansion" etc. joke)

That excerpt is from an XKCD What-If that was something like "What's the most dangerous thing I can do with a pressure cooker?"

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

CellBlock posted:

That excerpt is from an XKCD What-If that was something like "What's the most dangerous thing I can do with a pressure cooker?"

Yep, and it gets worse after producing FOOF.

quote:

If your house is heated by natural gas, and it happens to contain hydrogen sulfide, you could pipe some of it into your container of O2F2. In addition to a massive explosion, this will also produce a cloud of hydrogen fluoride gas. Hydrogen fluoride can dissolve human tissue on contact, starting with your lungs and corneas.

As Lowe points out, the chemistry of this kind of reaction (O2F2 and sulfides) is largely unexplored.

Which gives us an answer to our question. What’s the worst thing that can happen in a pressure cooker?

Science.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/877176033585311746

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

So that's what exploding runes look like

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

cursed image

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

So you end up with...bubbles and paper airplanes?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

It's funny that, even as a non-chemist, I see a frowny face when I look at the diagrams. They seem upset. Like they want to be let free...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I now have questions.

Ok, only one question.

How big of a boom?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

iospace posted:

I now have questions.

Ok, only one question.

How big of a boom?
BoomN

Just count the 'N's

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Why would you do this? Why would anybody do this? :stonklol:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Ratoslov posted:

the thrill of danger discovery!

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

StandardVC10 posted:

the thrill of danger discovery!

The thrill of discovering where your fingers and other squishy bits went after they were liberated from your primary carapace?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

The thrill of discovering where your fingers and other squishy bits went after they were liberated from your primary carapace?

This work was done by some hungry grad students, someone had to be far enough away to record where everything landed!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Ratoslov posted:

BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

iospace posted:

I now have questions.

Ok, only one question.

How big of a boom?

Whenever you see that many "N"s, it's always/never a good sign, depending on your predilections.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/whitequark/status/877176800748687360

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Sounds like the odds are not great

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ratoslov posted:

To discover new ways of unplanned dis-assembly of equipment and personal.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Elmnt80 posted:

If you're talking about an automotive 02 sensor, they need to hit a minimum of 300°F to work. I'm not sure having a heat source that can possibly spark in an o2 line is a good idea. :v:

Zirconia sensors are a thing, but they aren't the only tech. A better option would be fuel cell sensors, these use a chemical reaction cell which generates a voltage in the presence of oxygen.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

"That's a hell of an act," the chem professor says, "What do you call it?"

The remaining grad students all bow and say "Klapötke!"

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

rndmnmbr posted:

The bourgeois!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Apparently element 118 has some weird as gently caress orbitals, since it's finally big enough for relativity to notice it exists

Above: classical mechanics. Below: special relativity.

By "weird as gently caress", I of course mean "basically nonexistent".

If any of it was stable the chemistry would be insane.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

It's literally the 50s atomic symbol of a giant nucleus and the electrons in a cloud around it.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

rndmnmbr posted:

Whenever I hear about Klapötke-esque compounds, I think of this Looney Tunes bit:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtain_Razor

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

rndmnmbr posted:

:science::perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

Apparently element 118 has some weird as gently caress orbitals, since it's finally big enough for relativity to notice it exists

Isn't gold already big enough for that? I thought gold was gold in sheen and not silvery because of relativistic effects.