Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Going to be moving soon and I'll finally have a dedicated workshop space. It's not too small, but I'll still have to be space-conscious.
I've got most of the big stuff already, but I need a planer and probably a jointer.

Is it worthwhile to look into a jointer-planer combo? Otherwise I'll be getting that dewalt planer everyone likes. Is it worthwhile to bother with benchtop jointers or should I only really be thinking about a big, floor standing jointer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

deep web creep posted:

Going to be moving soon and I'll finally have a dedicated workshop space. It's not too small, but I'll still have to be space-conscious.
I've got most of the big stuff already, but I need a planer and probably a jointer.

Is it worthwhile to look into a jointer-planer combo? Otherwise I'll be getting that dewalt planer everyone likes. Is it worthwhile to bother with benchtop jointers or should I only really be thinking about a big, floor standing jointer?

That dewalt planer can double as a jointer with a simple sled setup, It's not ideal but it works. If the money's burning a hole in your pocked I'd say go with a jointer-planer, they're all really wide, and most standalone jointers are pretty narrow. But honestly flattening a board by hand isn't too hard once you get the hang of it. Planing a board to thickness by hand however is basically torture.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Installing some laminate this weekend using a 10" hitachi miter saw. What's a good blade (on Amazon) to use?
When I did an install some years ago with a circular saw it ate through the cheap Irwin blades very, very quickly.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

canyoneer posted:

Installing some laminate this weekend using a 10" hitachi miter saw. What's a good blade (on Amazon) to use?
When I did an install some years ago with a circular saw it ate through the cheap Irwin blades very, very quickly.

this blade in a 7 1/4" or 10 in

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7-1-4-in-x-8-Tooth-PCD-Tipped-Flooring-Blade-D0708LF/205785763
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10-in-x-12-Tooth-Polycrystalline-Diamond-PCD-Tipped-Ultimate-Flooring-Blade-D1012LF/205040139

your miter should be able to use the 7 1/4 blade but you need to figure out if using that size will work with the plank size you have chosen. just an option to save 16-20 bucks on the blade.

i've also used the 80/84 tooth 10" one they sell for laminate as well but i think this style worked a bit better.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

this blade in a 7 1/4" or 10 in

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-7-1-4-in-x-8-Tooth-PCD-Tipped-Flooring-Blade-D0708LF/205785763
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-10-in-x-12-Tooth-Polycrystalline-Diamond-PCD-Tipped-Ultimate-Flooring-Blade-D1012LF/205040139

your miter should be able to use the 7 1/4 blade but you need to figure out if using that size will work with the plank size you have chosen. just an option to save 16-20 bucks on the blade.

i've also used the 80/84 tooth 10" one they sell for laminate as well but i think this style worked a bit better.

I'm only doing 150 sq ft (should have probably called that out first), so the 84 tooth 10" one sounds like the right one for me. Thanks!

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Does anyone have strong opinions they'd like to share about laser levels?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

DreadLlama posted:

I've used one, a self leveling bosch and it made tiling several bathrooms and kitchens extremely easy. If you're good you don't need it but it helps. What are you thinking of using it for?

Actually I've also used one of the bigger head lasers with a handheld device so you could find the level somewhere else and that was alright but no better than being good with a string, at least for our application

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
What does $60 get me that $30 doesn't?

https://www.lowes.ca/laser-levels/bosch-30-ft-laser-chalkline-cross-line-laser-level_g2751682.html

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/ZH-SL202-La...rIAAOSw4Ehabu5u

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 4, 2018

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

I don’t have any experience with those particular ones but my dad gave me a laser level maybe 5 years ago, some off brand thing. Started dim and got dimmer, sometimes needs “encouragement” to lase, etc. The Bosch I bought is bright af, and comes with some handy attachment that lets me hang it somewhere and fine tune the height with a little gear wheel thing. Also magnet hanger and stuff, pretty handy, but didn’t look at your specific linked one.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Yea I would second getting the Bosch. Without some sort of remote system like the higher end lasers have to locate the laser it can be hard to see it. If you're trying to use it in direct sunlight you might have a hard time.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

DreadLlama posted:

As a mostly self taught DIYer it's probably one of my most used items. My wife bought me Black and Decker one that also has a stud finder in it about 11 years ago when we bought our first house and it's still going strong

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

My Rockwell oscillating tool bit the dust last night during a project (first by disabling it's power switch and not allowing itself to turn off, and second through having power cut in and out)

Is there are recommended replacement? I use it often for the things it's good for, but if the cheap harbor freight one will work for a few years and not catch on fire that'll be fine too i think.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
The variable speed HF is really good. Like, nearly Fein-good. Quiet, smooth, and powerful. Takes most other manufacturers blades, too. The Bosch carbide blades are awesome for cutting, in case you didn't know.

The case is junk, though.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

canyoneer posted:

My Rockwell oscillating tool bit the dust last night during a project (first by disabling it's power switch and not allowing itself to turn off, and second through having power cut in and out)

Is there are recommended replacement? I use it often for the things it's good for, but if the cheap harbor freight one will work for a few years and not catch on fire that'll be fine too i think.

That honestly sounds like you just need to repair the power switch.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Someone give me a bunch of money, space, and three phase power. https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/tls/d/cabinet-shop-machinery/6486449019.html

That three head shaper looks dope.

Klaus Hergesheimer
Aug 6, 2010
Any opinions on the Mafell KSS 300 and 400 saws? I am sorely tempted.

I work for a GC doing (mostly) kitchens and while it wouldn't replace any of my tools it would probably make my job a little easier sometimes. It would be great for shelves, the relatively small amount of framing I do, cutting LVL, blocking, sheet goods, door bottoms, built-in tops, and a bunch of other stuff. I never ever cut inside of clients' homes so it would pretty much replace my cordless circular saw, but it wouldn't replace a miter or table saw. I think the philosophical compromise of something between a track saw (which I use occasionally at best) and a cordless circular saw (shits dust everywhere and stays in the garage anyway but I still use for most framing tasks) is palatable to me given the work I do.

My major misgivings are that it's blade right (doesn't matter so much on a track saw, but I hate to use a sidewinder), blades are expensive as gently caress and not available at a store, and whether it's really that much better than the HK saws from Festool. I don't really care so much about the price differential between the Mafell and Festool saws - I am willing to drop that kind of money if it makes my life easier/better/cleaner. Marks against the Festool are that I hate their battery platform and really need to rid myself of it, it's really not that much cheaper, and Mafell rails are supposed to be much better for connecting on those occasions when I have to make long rips.

If I did more soffit/fascia/exterior trim/decks/shiplap/production, I'd already goddamn own one.

aioli is just mayo
Aug 14, 2003

He has only forbidden to you dead animals, blood, the flesh of swine, and that which has been dedicated to other than Allah . But whoever is forced by necessity, neither desiring it nor transgressing its limit, there is no sin upon him. Indeed, Allah is Forgiving and Merciful
To make a long story short, I feel committed to the Milwaukee ecology because I have a M12 drill and two batteries, and acquired a Fuel impact/bought a 5.0AH m18 battery and charger from the lovely "mrsadiabatic".

My wife keeps complaining about not being able to see poo poo in the woods.

https://www.amazon.com/MILWAUKEE-EL...kee+seach+light

Anyone have experience with these? Reviews generally are good. Could I do better waterproofing by adding silicone caulk and electric tape to the seams?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
What's she doing in the woods? Imo you could get a veeeery nice headlamp and above compact pen flashlight for way less than 100.

Everybody has bought into the AAA battery economy.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Forget AAA, usb rechargeable is where it's at.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Meh, imo headlamps are fantastic for backpacking and loving around with rechargeable anything is not an option.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

BraveUlysses posted:

Meh, imo headlamps are fantastic for backpacking and loving around with rechargeable anything is not an option.

Rechargeable AAA's is the way to go

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Astonishing Wang posted:

Rechargeable AAA's is the way to go

EnLoops are a excellent rechargeable battery.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
AAAs are bullshit. 1/3rd the capacity of AAs and take up just about as much space when stacked.

AAs or 18650s for life

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

AAAs are bullshit. 1/3rd the capacity of AAs and take up just about as much space when stacked.

AAs or 18650s for life

I always wondered why I couldn't get NiMH D cells for my maglite back when that was a thing, logically the capacity would have been hilarious.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.

aioli is just mayo posted:

To make a long story short, I feel committed to the Milwaukee ecology because I have a M12 drill and two batteries, and acquired a Fuel impact/bought a 5.0AH m18 battery and charger from the lovely "mrsadiabatic".

My wife keeps complaining about not being able to see poo poo in the woods.

https://www.amazon.com/MILWAUKEE-EL...kee+seach+light

Anyone have experience with these? Reviews generally are good. Could I do better waterproofing by adding silicone caulk and electric tape to the seams?

My co-workers give me poo poo because almost all my tools and Milwaukee. They say I'm sponsored by them. Great tools, little bit more than DeWalt though.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I always wondered why I couldn't get NiMH D cells for my maglite back when that was a thing, logically the capacity would have been hilarious.

True.

Now, what I've done is made a 3D printed adapter that lets me use one 18650 in the place of 2 D cells. So my LED-retrofitted maglites and army "L" flashlights now have real batteries and don't weigh five pounds each, and have awesome battery life. You can stack two of them for the four D-cell flashlights, too.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Now, what I've done is made a 3D printed adapter that lets me use one 18650 in the place of 2 D cells.

That's pretty drat awesome. I have a few 4D maglights (a.k.a. billy clubs) lying around that would be fun to use again without $7 in batteries.

You should make these things as a business.*

*Until some Chinese company rips off your idea and sells them for $.25 on AliExpress.

coathat
May 21, 2007

What use is a 4 dcell maglite without the weight of the batteries?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Using 18650s in a three or four D-cell mag light loses a bit of the "beat someone over the head" ability though.

Could always include a cavity in the 3d printed adapter to fill with lead shot through...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
genuinely mystified that anyone still likes those vietnam era flashlights

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

headlamps 4 life

I am very rarely doing anything with a flashlight where I don't want to have both hands free. Plus you look like a dork wearing one, so that's a plus

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Haha, yeah, just one headlamp, that's all a person would wear at one time, six at once would be way too weird haha :shepface:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My 4D maglite needs the remains of a bad battery drilling out of it before I do anything with it, but 2 18650s would leave about a 100x60mm cavity, I'd want to make a tiny tool kit of some sort to store in there, no good reason it's just be fun.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Speaking of batteries can anyone recommend a rechargeable 1.5V AA cell? My trail camera does not like the lower voltage of regular rechargeables. It takes 6, which means it gets only 7.2V and wants 9V.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last
Alright, maybe I'm just being dense, but the capcity of one 18650 is only around 2250mAh compared to a single D cell battery of 12-18000mAH. Sure they are recharchable, which is super nice, but wouldn't your run time on a 4 D maglight be significantly less than using the standard alkaline D cell?

DreadLlama posted:

Speaking of batteries can anyone recommend a rechargeable 1.5V AA cell? My trail camera does not like the lower voltage of regular rechargeables. It takes 6, which means it gets only 7.2V and wants 9V.

Have you tried Eneloop batteries? They get recommendations on here all of the time. I bought a couple of sets years ago from Costco, and they are still going strong in most of our devices in our house.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

DreadLlama posted:

I'm no battery expert but I don't know that any rechargeable (usually NiMH / NiCD) AA does 1.5v, I think they are all 1.2v, which is a difference in alkaline vs NiMH / NiCD. Alkaline usually come 1.5 +/- .1v but they degrade slowly over time and use. NiMH / NiCD batteries don't fall off nearly as bad. I've really bought into rechargeable batteries but there are some things that just need/require alkaline. I figure that if nearly every other battery driven device I own has been converted to rechargeables, one or two devices aren't a big deal if they use disposables especially if their performance relies on it.

http://www.rechargebatteryguide.com/batteries/i-require-1-5v-battery-but-rechargeable-batteries-are-1-2v

Falco posted:

Have you tried Eneloop batteries? They get recommendations on here all of the time. I bought a couple of sets years ago from Costco, and they are still going strong in most of our devices in our house.

This. Eneloop batteries are great. Amazon basics batteries are next on my list. They have outperformed so many other rechargeables in my personal experience (including duracell and energizer) that they are the only batteries I buy. Eneloops are made by Panasonic and they make great batteries of all kinds. I wish I could buy a panasonic car battery to replace the one that came stock on my 4runner. It lasted 8 years before it started giving me issues. I've never had car batteries last half that long.

Verman fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Feb 14, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

DreadLlama posted:

Attack the problem with electronics rather than chemistry.

If you’re comfortable stringing together some wire, maybe modifying the case, you could splice in a DC–DC step-up converter.

It would be great if someone made a slot-in solution, but the only one I’m aware of is by scammers (Batteroo Reboost).

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Falco posted:

Alright, maybe I'm just being dense, but the capcity of one 18650 is only around 2250mAh compared to a single D cell battery of 12-18000mAH. Sure they are recharchable, which is super nice, but wouldn't your run time on a 4 D maglight be significantly less than using the standard alkaline D cell?

To be fair, quality, high-cap 18650s are around 3400mAh. Your point still stands, however, that it's hard to beat the capacity of those fat D cells.

I'd probably put a led bulb in there instead of the standard incandescent, which would probably help quite a bit. I never seem to remember the runtime of the maglights being an issue for me. It was usually an issue of the battery failing over time due to leakage or accidental drain down due to leaving it on.

I guess Frankensteining the old mag lights probably isn't worth it when you can get decent rechargeable, LED flashlights for cheap from China.

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

B-Nasty posted:

To be fair, quality, high-cap 18650s are around 3400mAh. Your point still stands, however, that it's hard to beat the capacity of those fat D cells.

I'd probably put a led bulb in there instead of the standard incandescent, which would probably help quite a bit. I never seem to remember the runtime of the maglights being an issue for me. It was usually an issue of the battery failing over time due to leakage or accidental drain down due to leaving it on.

I guess Frankensteining the old mag lights probably isn't worth it when you can get decent rechargeable, LED flashlights for cheap from China.

It's still a fun project though, and for those that love to tinker it stings a bit to snag the cheapy and easy alternative when you've got this perfectly quality flashlight that could be tweaked to be badass. I hate being practical, but still want to play with things and check out how to make it work a different way.

18650's are new to me, or at least knowing that they are in a ton of battery systems, so I didn't realize that there were higher capacity versions out there.

I bet a D cell maglight would feel pretty strange being super lightweight instead of the club that it had always been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Falco posted:

It's still a fun project though, and for those that love to tinker it stings a bit to snag the cheapy and easy alternative when you've got this perfectly quality flashlight that could be tweaked to be badass. I hate being practical, but still want to play with things and check out how to make it work a different way.

18650's are new to me, or at least knowing that they are in a ton of battery systems, so I didn't realize that there were higher capacity versions out there.

I bet a D cell maglight would feel pretty strange being super lightweight instead of the club that it had always been.

With a D-cell battery system, you could use 26650s and get 6Ah per battery, and fill out a bit more of the diameter.