Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Ah but his friend is actually an immigrant from syria, so we must respect his culture, plus it's probably white people's fault anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
:chloe:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/963804261267181568

safe to say too much thinking is hardly a problem for the times

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A person like Quinn Norton could only happen due to the incredible levels of privilege that middle class white people have heaped upon them, to the point that even despite palling around with Nazis and dropping N-bombs on your social media accounts, you can still be hired on by the most prestigious newspaper in the country because you're also a performatively woke lib.

To see the New York Times eat so much poo poo over this is extremely satisfying.

I feel like there's a huge difference between the sort of middle class that involves growing up with parents who make at least several times median wage (or ending up making that kind of money yourself just due to luck/connections) and the sort of middle class that involves actually making around median wage. I'm not sure if it really makes sense to refer to the sort of people who have parents making six figures as "middle class," at least as long as the term is still used to refer to people making around median wage. They should at least be referred to as "upper-middle class."

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

everyone is middle class in america

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

an actual dog posted:

everyone is middle class in america

this

it's a useless term that starts at "when we had to load up the car with our most valuable possessions and move on, we had 8 hours to make round trips to the self-storage" and ends at "trust fund ran out by 40, inheritance didn't come until 50, had to work that middle decade"
it exists to tell workers that policies designed for the actual middle class, the class that sits between them and old money, are actually for them so stop complaining

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Norton's beat was Silicon Valley, not the white-power movement. And it was via her connections through that to the New York media world that helped land her the job, I think.

The way the Times described her beat was on "the influence of the tech companies" and how to deal with it. She knows a lot of these VCers and lives in the Bay Area. Like I was saying, there are these two blobs. But I don't think either knows how to deal with the landscape anymore. (She wrote that Weev article in 2014.)

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
still laughing at being 40 years old and logging on to call channers fags

then getting hired by the nytimes

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

Making a massive jerk off motion at people questioning if a tech beat reporter is really middle class.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Norton's beat was Silicon Valley, not the white-power movement. And it was via her connections through that to the New York media world that helped land her the job, I think.

The way the Times described her beat was on "the influence of the tech companies" and how to deal with it. She knows a lot of these VCers and lives in the Bay Area. Like I was saying, there are these two blobs. But I don't think either knows how to deal with the landscape anymore. (She wrote that Weev article in 2014.)

I was somewhat disappointed that it came up that she worked at Wired and not the insanely cliquey PandoDaily

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A person like Quinn Norton could only happen due to the incredible levels of privilege that middle class white people have heaped upon them, to the point that even despite palling around with Nazis and dropping N-bombs on your social media accounts, you can still be hired on by the most prestigious newspaper in the country because you're also a performatively woke lib.

To see the New York Times eat so much poo poo over this is extremely satisfying.
Oh definitely. Truth be told, to be an effective reporter on the far right, you actually do need to be friendly with a lot of these guys. But there's a difference between being friendly so they trust you and being chums with them.

Anyways this is pretty appalling too, from the Daily Caller trying to exploit this by rushing to Norton's defense:

quote:

But her words aren’t enough. In terms of her habit of hanging out with supposed neo-Nazis, we’re really just talking about one instance: her relationship with controversial hacker Andrew Auernheimer — better known by his online alias “weev.”

It’s clear at this point that weev isn’t exactly someone you’d want at your nephew’s bar mitzvah, but let’s put this relationship in context:
No, really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deYpV85D30g&t=605s

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like there's a huge difference between the sort of middle class that involves growing up with parents who make at least several times median wage (or ending up making that kind of money yourself just due to luck/connections) and the sort of middle class that involves actually making around median wage. I'm not sure if it really makes sense to refer to the sort of people who have parents making six figures as "middle class," at least as long as the term is still used to refer to people making around median wage. They should at least be referred to as "upper-middle class."

median wage is not middle class

there is no such thing as "upper middle class" that's just middle class - if you're below that you're actually working class

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

There's a few ways to evaluate middle class in the United States: as a relative measure of wealth & consumption, as a field of work which relies on mental labor, and as a position within a social hierarchy that serves the interests of capital. In every way, tech reporter fits the bill.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

it’s insane how salty people who work at a newspaper are getting about leaks because of that Ashley feinberg story

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

i love how he tries to fill up the frame to appear normally sized, but the angle of the camera makes it look like he has been squeezed into a corner.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Badger of Basra posted:

it’s insane how salty people who work at a newspaper are getting about leaks because of that Ashley feinberg story

the what now

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Ah but his friend is actually an immigrant from syria, so we must respect his culture, plus it's probably white people's fault anyway.

Amazing posts as always

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/963832071025283073

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Amazing posts as always

:tipshat:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
nyt political correspondent waded into the debate, and he brought his hottest takes

https://mobile.twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/963856028692606976
https://mobile.twitter.com/nickconfessore/status/963857647899422720

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isnt that breaking the nyt's social media policy for reporters

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

wasn't Bret Stephens hired to do exactly this

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

wasn't Bret Stephens hired to do exactly this

no he was hired to also write op-eds questioning whether arabs and palestinians were people

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

uh, so when they post nice stories about nazis and nothing about communists he is actually contradicting himself?

can I become a NYT opinion writer? :stare:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

uh, so when they post nice stories about nazis and nothing about communists he is actually contradicting himself?

Are you friends with the current ones?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Goa Tse-tung posted:

Do you like middle east wars, Israel, and centrist corporate friendly economic policy?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What The West Gets Wrong About The Lion Assad

You could start off just doing a parody of the NYT Op-ED page and it'd be better than Jacobin.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/dwdavison9318/status/963887499549519873

https://twitter.com/jkirchick/status/963874498553569286

https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/963873658816036864

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

now if you want to really break your brain, put that tweet next to this one and try to reconcile the two

https://mobile.twitter.com/jkirchick/status/963888119379582985
https://mobile.twitter.com/CygnusA81/status/963886281628536843

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Goa Tse-tung posted:

I'm gonna say this here to keep me honest: I promised on Twitter to buy and frame s copy of the nyt if they run an op Ed on the differences in various leftist ideologies, and to wipe my rear end with a paper of that nick guys choice

So I'm making it a toxx, someone here remind me, I'll eat a ban if I don't

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I'm gonna say this here to keep me honest: I promised on Twitter to buy and frame s copy of the nyt if they run an op Ed on the differences in various leftist ideologies, and to wipe my rear end with a paper of that nick guys choice

So I'm making it a toxx, someone here remind me, I'll eat a ban if I don't

Will it count if they do a story on the only two leftist ideologies that exist, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Will it count if they do a story on the only two leftist ideologies that exist, Bernie Sanders and Hillary Clinton

No

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/964150556808925184

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Rally Against Foreign Self-Determination

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Rally To Restore Order

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/964154124651630592

"these previous causes, which history has shown to be noble and correct, are completely different from this modern cause, which is full of poop for babies"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bret Stephens should be tied to the hood of a jeep so Palestiinian kids can throw rocks at him.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

this newspaper is going to kill me. that isn't a metaphor lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

an actual dog posted:

this newspaper is going to kill me. that isn't a metaphor lol

:same:

This thread broke me around the time they let kids write the opinion section and it was, in every way, more intellectual and thought provoking

Like in theory, if you wanted to give someone an op-ed column, you'd want them to be really smart and interesting, and a good entertaining writer

It's like the NYT does literally the opposite: "I will only take the very WORST garbage people to write this column!"