Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I'm really not finding this show particularly funny anymore.
It's a vehicle for VA jokes most of the time and if you're not into that just wait for the surrealist strips to get adapted i guess because those really aren't that common

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm really not finding this show particularly funny anymore.

The Shogi skit was amazing

The interviewer being completely worthless at color commentary was probably my favorite part.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Super Jay Mann posted:

The interviewer being completely worthless at color commentary was probably my favorite part.

That's very true-to-life, they love having complete airheads, clueless people, foreigners, and all sorts of random freaks for the color commentary. in JP. 'Cuz it's funny. Well, perhaps not in Shogi tournaments.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Julias posted:

Nah, they just have shite hearing.

People get so offended over things we don't notice with this 12 minute show that takes itself so not seriously that they literally play the same episode twice every week as a joke

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's a vehicle for VA jokes most of the time and if you're not into that just wait for the surrealist strips to get adapted i guess because those really aren't that common

Also its much more geared towards Japanese pop culture /meme content.
So yeah half of this flies right over my head.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

See here, this is why this show is good. Its 3 loving jokes in one single image. The joke about the "Serious Anime Art vs Bkub Art", the die hard joke and Popuko's undying hatred for Takeshobo

I wonder if the third bluray will go even deeper by having pipimi slowly go bold till the 4th one is just her with a shaved head

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Feb 11, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cao Ni Ma posted:

See here, this is why this show is good. Its 3 loving jokes in one single image. The joke about the "Serious Anime Art vs Bkub Art", the die hard joke and Popuko's undying hatred for Takeshobo

I wonder if the third bluray will go even deeper by having pipimi slowly go bold till the 4th one is just her with a shaved head

This is the main joke though

el_jorge
Jul 7, 2008

I also got a bag of chocolate smooth.
Missed a middle finger to censor.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

el_jorge posted:

Missed a middle finger to censor.

Two, actually

The baseball segment also had a pixel middle finger as the mouse pointer that didn't get censored

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Sindai posted:

The whole shogi sequence was the funniest part yet

I hope this was a topical satirical poke at Google's AlphaZero ripping apart the Go, shogi, and chess worlds recently, because goddamn so good

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
The Kemono Friends reference at the end there was good too.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Episode 4 is out in English. Jad Saxton and Caitlin Glass for the female half and Alejandro Saab and David Wald for the male.

Let's Pop Together is unfortunately undubbed.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Ryaomon posted:

Let's Pop Together is unfortunately undubbed.

Probably a licensing thing like how it isn't subbed either.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I got my girlfriend the Pipimi nendoroid for her birthday. It came with a couple of speech bubbles that are presumably lines from notable entries in the manga, but neither of us can read Japanese and I can't recognize them just from looking at them. Googling around didn't help either. Can anyone tell me what these lines are?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I got my girlfriend the Pipimi nendoroid for her birthday. It came with a couple of speech bubbles that are presumably lines from notable entries in the manga, but neither of us can read Japanese and I can't recognize them just from looking at them. Googling around didn't help either. Can anyone tell me what these lines are?

It's the first two panels from the second comic in this post.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Not sure of the first one which is weird since it's full of katakana, but the second one is from the EAT THE CUTLET BOWL! bit. お前がやったんだろ (Omae ga yattan daro), like "You did it, didn't you!" when Pipimi is pointing a lot

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Aha! Awesome! Thank you very much!

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

Yeah I don't buy the beef or chicken explanation. I thought that it was just obviously Popuko being insulted at even being offered the option of chicken to the much superior choice of beef. If you assume it was the "fight or are you chicken" interpretation, Pipimi's interruption makes no sense.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I think my favorite part about the animated version of that strip is the "charge up" that Popuko's fist does before Pipimi saves that flight attendant from imminent annihilation

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
This is from back when bkub would make edits to individual panels when tweeting links to the comic page when updates went out.

The original can be seen here https://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=46239857 but when bkub linked it, he edited the first panel to say what's in that bubble, which says "Yeah, you! I'm talking 'bout you!" Not sure how that caught on more than the original, but things like the "You got boost power" reference was also first used in one of these official edits.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

drrockso20 posted:

I think my favorite part about the animated version of that strip is the "charge up" that Popuko's fist does before Pipimi saves that flight attendant from imminent annihilation

There needs to be more small details like this.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dork457 posted:

Yeah I don't buy the beef or chicken explanation. I thought that it was just obviously Popuko being insulted at even being offered the option of chicken to the much superior choice of beef. If you assume it was the "fight or are you chicken" interpretation, Pipimi's interruption makes no sense.

It's interesting at least to see people using english meanings to try and understand a joke. Does anyone in Japan use beef or chicken the same way we would?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's interesting at least to see people using english meanings to try and understand a joke. Does anyone in Japan use beef or chicken the same way we would?

Didn’t someone upthread already post the commercial that it’s a joke on.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Mister Olympus posted:

Didn’t someone upthread already post the commercial that it’s a joke on.

They did I'm just saying it's interesting that english speakers are using terms they are familiar with to understand a Japanese reference. Cause I'm sure someone in Japan wouldn't say that have beef with someone or call someone scared chicken.

Granted in the end this all comes down to people being dumb trying to be smart.

Electric Phantasm fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Feb 15, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I will say one thing, it's not completely unreasonable to think that Pop Team Epic would have a joke that only works after it's been translated into another language,

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

https://twitter.com/aicnanime/status/964559094475579392?ref_src=twcamp%5Ecopy%7Ctwsrc%5Eandroid%7Ctwgr%5Ecopy%7Ctwcon%5E7090%7Ctwterm%5E2

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Pop Team Epic – Interview With Producer Kotaro Sudo

quote:

I think AC-bu’s “BOBNEMIMIMMI” is the most incredible out of them all. Normally, you start with scripts and storyboards, and start with roughs before proceeding further, but for AC-bu, the footage that airs for broadcast is the first thing we get from them. That’s their first draft.

lol of course it is

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

I'd buy a few for that price.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 16, 2018

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

quote:

"─ The special audio commentary is by Bkub Okawa and Mafia Kajita. What kind of commentary can we expect?

It was recorded with the full intent of being a commentary for Pop Team Epic."
For reference, the commentary on the first episode is just them talking about watching Kemono Friends for the first time.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Pretty amazing that the Japan Mignon segments are a one-man show.

edit: how long has this shirt been a thing?

Leraika fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 16, 2018

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I’m sure it will be reduced to rubble when everyone wishes for it deep down in their hearts.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Um... I think their budget ran out.

Japon Mignon is also back.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 17, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Okay, I'm sorry.

This week's Popuko part A voice is unbearable, and not in a fun Pop Team Epic way.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Best episode yet.

The Hellshake bit was loving AMAZING.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just noticed they have the lines written on the backs of the sketchpads

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
holy poo poo: the bob team epic guys dubbed over each other for the 2nd half :allears:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

holy poo poo: the bob team epic guys dubbed over each other for the 2nd half :allears:

That was inspired and wonderful.

Also holy poo poo the reference to an old 70's fishing manga who's name I forget.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I haven't laughed so hard at an anime as I did during the Hellshake Yano segment. That was brilliant and completely out of left field.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
That Hellshake Yano bit was absolutely loving incredible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

Oh wow I thought that sounded different the second time and couldn't put my finger on why.

This show is a treasure.