Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syka
Mar 24, 2007
sum n00b or wut?

Mjolnerd posted:

How the hell am i supposed to yank that piece of plastic out of that plano anyway?

With a knife. That's how I did it anyway. It's a pain in the rear end and looks ugly, but you mostly never see it afterwards anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Now that I've embararsed myself I'll just remember the little baggie.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

It doesn't help that the scenario book outlines every hex individually so you don't actually realize to use the two or three hex terrain.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kiranamos posted:

It doesn't help that the scenario book outlines every hex individually so you don't actually realize to use the two or three hex terrain.

This isn't actually true for floor overlays, at least. If you check scenario 3 there are different-sized overlays in the middle of the map, with white lines marking them out into singles and sets of 2 hexes. They're not incredibly easy to see, but they are there.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky

CaptainRightful posted:

1. A crit does 2x damage. Then each point of shield negates 1 point of damage received.

2. Traps are not obstacles.

So we got the first bit right and the second bit wrong. Would have slowed us down at least.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I'm still freaking out looking at scenario 66. We unlocked that after scenario 1 and I don't know how you would do it with only two people.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Our party is called The Rowdy Ones

Tinkerer (me): Gonzo Gonzalez (retired)
Cragheart: Kingdom Hearts (retired)
Scoundrel: Domino (retired) Player has yet to make a new character
Mindthief: I forgot, but it was something butt related
Lightning Bolts (me): Sonya (retired)
Eclipse: Darknesssss
2 mini: Rexxar & Misha (retired)
Three Spears (me): Watcha Buyin'

Not the most imaginative names, but it works for my groups' dumb sense of humour :downs:

Last scenario we played my lightning bolts and the scoundrel retired. I unlocked the Three Spears and the scoundrel unlocked Saw.
The scoundrel player was kinda moping around how his personal quest took so long to complete, watch allies exhaust 15 times, but this sped up dramatically once I got to play the Lightning Bolts class. My personal quest was to have 200 gold in posession. This was actually pretty easy to do due to a level 4 card and enhancing the move 4 + up to 3 movement for each damage you inflict on yourself card. Just run into rooms, grab the treasure and deal with all the baddies there, maybe..
Lightning Bolts is probably my favourite class so far and I probably would've played the class again if it weren't for the fact that the Three Spears seems overpowered. At a cursory glance it seems you can just keep reusing stamina potions due to a card which refreshes a consumed item, so you can reuse your best cards and never really have to rest. I can't see myself exhaust due to a lack of cards with this class.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

We are the party "What have you gotten us into?" Named by my wife when she saw the size of the Gloomhaven box.

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
I will say we absolutely shredded the last room of the first scenario. It all just clicked.

Spellweaver used Ether and short rested before opening the door. I played Backup Ammo (which seems very good to me). Then we kicked the door in and unleashed hell.

The last turn involved the Spellweaver using Fire Orbs and Goggles to burn everything and my Cragheart rock tunnelling through the room to the treasure chest and finishing off the survivors with Earthen Clod backup ammo. Wrecked.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

MG42 posted:

it seems you can just keep reusing stamina potions due to a card which refreshes a consumed item, so you can reuse your best cards and never really have to rest. I can't see myself exhaust due to a lack of cards with this class.

3 spears: Yup, 3 spears has several ways of having inifinite turns. Mostly they're not terribly useful because you either need a very lucky combination of allies and ally actions available, or the monsters to be very forgiving. But there are some occasions where he can just wander gently through the scenario looting everything before finally triggering the end condtion. 3 spears is fun.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Question about leveling up: the book says repeatedly that your max hand size never changes so I got that part. However the very first thing it says in the level up rules is that you only get one card from your new level to add to your hand.

Does that mean you can only pick that one card and you never get access to the others? Or is it just worded poorly and you can add any one single card from any level you have access to and you can swap them out between scenarios?

So like when my Mindthief hits level 2 I can pick one L2 card and add it to my hand, swapping out any other card, then after the next scenario I can swap out my single L2 card for a different L2 card?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

Question about leveling up: the book says repeatedly that your max hand size never changes so I got that part. However the very first thing it says in the level up rules is that you only get one card from your new level to add to your hand.

Does that mean you can only pick that one card and you never get access to the others? Or is it just worded poorly and you can add any one single card from any level you have access to and you can swap them out between scenarios?

So like when my Mindthief hits level 2 I can pick one L2 card and add it to my hand, swapping out any other card, then after the next scenario I can swap out my single L2 card for a different L2 card?

No.

When you level, you choose one of the cards available to you (the two from your new level and the rest of the ones you've not yet chosen from previous levels) to add to the 1s and xs which make up the pool of cards from which you can pick your hand at the start of each scenario.

When you choose your level 2 card, you don't get the other one ever. Unless you decide to take it instead of a level 3 or etc.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Elephant Ambush posted:

Nope. Every level up you choose one card from that level (or below) to add to your available cards. Cards you have not chosen are not available to that character.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Thanks. Seems rough but I guess there are only 2 cards at each higher level so I'm not missing out on a lot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

After one session with my new character and getting a better sense of how it works I might re-do my first two level-ups, moving one checkmark and changing one of the two cards I selected.

I'm a monster :v:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The way we're doing it, we use sleeves to track what ability cards are in your pool.

Start by sleeving up all the level 1 and X ability cards. Every time you level up, sleeve up a card of that level or below. For every mission, pick your hand size worth of cards out of the ones you've sleeved.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Jabor posted:

The way we're doing it, we use sleeves to track what ability cards are in your pool.

Start by sleeving up all the level 1 and X ability cards. Every time you level up, sleeve up a card of that level or below. For every mission, pick your hand size worth of cards out of the ones you've sleeved.

This is also what we're doing, sorta. We also just transferred a character's kit to a plastic baggie, since we don't need the rest of the cards or character pad for any given character as of right now.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CommonShore posted:

After one session with my new character and getting a better sense of how it works I might re-do my first two level-ups, moving one checkmark and changing one of the two cards I selected.

I'm a monster :v:

I did exactly the same thing. There are always hitches getting used to a game like this.

But yes you're a monster :P

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I think my party just uses the right selection of cards for their level (EG: A level 3 character can have all the 1 and X cards plus one level 3 and one level 2 card, or all the 1 and X cards and two level 2 cards) but doesn't lock you into your choices at each level.

I'm only going to play a class once, I might as well see as much of its powers as possible.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Had a hell of a scenario 3 last night. The guards managed to draw the card where they just stand still and block 3 times in like 5 turns, so we didn't spawn any reinforcements for a bunch of those (because the tile they come in on was filled already.) Then we maybe went for the chest too early and stopped the spawns entirely, which led us to a situation where we had to drop 2 more bodies to win the scenario but we were all too tired to crawl over and kick down the last side door we needed. :doh:

At least we're all level 2 now though! :woop:

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

We missed this rule as well, but if a spawn tile has something on it then the monster spawns in the nearest empty tile instead of not at all.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Aston posted:

We missed this rule as well, but if a spawn tile has something on it then the monster spawns in the nearest empty tile instead of not at all.

I'm so glad there's so much content. I'm screwing up rules a lot.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

OmegaGoo posted:

I'm so glad there's so much content. I'm screwing up rules a lot.

Note that monsters summoning/spawning other monsters does *not* work like that; it's "any adjacent space with absolutely nothing on it, preferring closer to enemies, if no spaces exist nothing comes out".

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Note that monsters summoning/spawning other monsters does *not* work like that; it's "any adjacent space with absolutely nothing on it, preferring closer to enemies, if no spaces exist nothing comes out".

Yup. We did that right in Scenario 2 , but not in the scenario mentioned. We only lost 2 monsters that way, though. I think we'd have been fine either way: we finished with plenty of time to spare on that one, and those enemies weren't much of a threat.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Oozes feel like loving terrible monster design. We kept drawing one of the two cards in their deck where they spawn duplicates at the cost of 2 HP over and over. Their numbers ballooned and we used an absolute crapload of damage markers on their damage card. Completely lost track of which ones were originals and which were summons, too.

It wasn't a threatening fight, but it was a slog to chop through all those hitpoints and track things accurately. I hope I don't fight oozes again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

silvergoose posted:

I can't remember which scenario it was, but we had one where the map had lettered hexes and a condition spawned night demons on those hexes. Our cragheart tossed obstacles on those spots and we looked at the rules and shrugged and figured that nothing could spawn.

Was that right or wrong? It probably didn't affect the success or failure of our attempt, as it would have blocked exactly one spawn from acting.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Oozes only spawn on completely empty spaces, which means no terrain, no coins, no nothing.

They're still a pain in the rear end, but less insanely bad.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
That's wrong, spawned enemies will place themselves as close as they can but basically can't be stopped from appearing. Summoned enemies need an empty space adjacent to the summoner and won't try to place themselves further away.

quote:

It wasn't a threatening fight, but it was a slog to chop through all those hitpoints and track things accurately. I hope I don't fight oozes again.
Buy some dice. It makes it a lot less annoying, although still a little annoying.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Figures we got that rule wrong! Eh, now we know for when we re-do.

misguided rage posted:

Buy some dice. It makes it a lot less annoying, although still a little annoying.

:yeah: I went ahead and got the 3d printed bases and they're great in terms of reducing admin, but honestly the main problem was just the wound tokens being incredibly fiddly and hard to judge at a glance. You could use a pile of d10's or 20's on the monster sheets and it'd be more readable even without the new bases. Count them DOWN instead of up, too.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Gort posted:

Oozes feel like loving terrible monster design. We kept drawing one of the two cards in their deck where they spawn duplicates at the cost of 2 HP over and over. Their numbers ballooned and we used an absolute crapload of damage markers on their damage card. Completely lost track of which ones were originals and which were summons, too.

One thing we found that helped us keep track of original vs. summon is to put a coin on the HP box of every monster that's placed in the scenario, and move it to the board when the monster is killed. Summons/spawns don't get that coin, so you don't have to remember if they were OG or not.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Tendales posted:

One thing we found that helped us keep track of original vs. summon is to put a coin on the HP box of every monster that's placed in the scenario, and move it to the board when the monster is killed. Summons/spawns don't get that coin, so you don't have to remember if they were OG or not.

....That is so simple and obvious. Thanks for this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I add a summon token or something like that for the summons, just so I can tell which numbers are currently used if they don't have any damage on them, for what it's worth.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Question about ability cards.

1 - When you start out, it's recommended to only use the level 1 cards and not the X cards. When you're comfortable enough to use the X cards, can you use all of them (taking out the equivalent number of level 1 cards from your deck) or do you only get like one of them?

2 - Is this choice permanent? Can you swap around the cards in your hand before scenarios?

3 - When leveling up, you are given a choice of two cards, correct? I can't pick both level 2 cards, only one. Is this choice permanent?

I was considering playing it that when it comes to level X cards, you can use as many of them as you want in place of level 1 cards. When it comes to leveling up, you can only pick one card (or neither card if you don't like it). For the cards you don't choose, you can swap to them later at Gloomhaven if you wish, but beyond level 1, you can only have one card for each level in your hand. This way, you don't get locked with a character going one direction and then you level up, realizing you want to take your character a different direction.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

1. You can use all of them.

2. They are all counted as being in your pool of available cards, so you can always swap to them. They're just 'level 1 cards but maybe harder to use'.

3. The choice is permanent for that character - that card goes into your pool of available cards. (with the caveat that if switching works for your group, go wild)

Honestly, my group returns to Gloomhaven after every scenario. Road and City cards are fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I would suggest using all 1's and no X's for a maximum of one scenario, then swap in the ones that seem good for the cards you thought were utter poo poo.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Mordiceius posted:

Question about ability cards.

1 - When you start out, it's recommended to only use the level 1 cards and not the X cards. When you're comfortable enough to use the X cards, can you use all of them (taking out the equivalent number of level 1 cards from your deck) or do you only get like one of them?

2 - Is this choice permanent? Can you swap around the cards in your hand before scenarios?

3 - When leveling up, you are given a choice of two cards, correct? I can't pick both level 2 cards, only one. Is this choice permanent?

I was considering playing it that when it comes to level X cards, you can use as many of them as you want in place of level 1 cards. When it comes to leveling up, you can only pick one card (or neither card if you don't like it). For the cards you don't choose, you can swap to them later at Gloomhaven if you wish, but beyond level 1, you can only have one card for each level in your hand. This way, you don't get locked with a character going one direction and then you level up, realizing you want to take your character a different direction.

Each class has enough level 1 cards to fill their entire hand. The Xs are additional level 1 cards that you have access to, but you will swap them for level 1s per scenario, so you can pick what combination of 8-12 cards you want to take.

When you level, you gain 1 additional card from your new level or any prior level and add that card to your pool of available cards. Then, when you start a new scenario, you can choose to replace one level 1/X card with the new card for that scenario.

So you can take both level 2 cards, but you need to be level 3 to do that and then you miss out on your level 3 card. The game has no provisions for respeccing, but that's definitely something you can do through houserules if you want to.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Yeah. I think I may house rule the ability to respec but add the caveat that you can only have one card of each level beyond level 1. That way if players get stuck with a personal quest that is going to take them a great deal of time, they can mix up their class a bit as they play to keep things fresh.

Another question - assume this scenario:

code:
| .. .. |
| .. M2 |
| T1 T2 |
| M1 T3 |     M - Monster
| P1 T4 |     T - Trap
| .. .. |     P - Player
Where does Monster 2 move if they have 4 movement.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 16, 2018

hoiyes
May 17, 2007
It would move through T2 and onto T3, and if it were still alive do its attack.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Assuming T3 is adjacent to P1 in this case, then yeah T3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I think I may house rule the ability to respec but add the caveat that you can only have one card of each level beyond level 1.

You can have two cards of a given level as per the base rules - you just have to give up one of your higher level picks. So if you decide both of your level 7 cards suck, you can add the other level 5 card you didn't take before to your pool.