Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Americanah, it's assigned reading, I think it's good but I also feel like I will have forgotten it all in a week.

I recommend reading Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole afterwards because it makes a very interesting companion piece

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I'm reading Americanah, it's assigned reading, I think it's good but I also feel like I will have forgotten it all in a week.

I felt that way about Half of a Yellow Sun, which was also semi-assigned reading. I remember it being very powerful, but I couldn't tell you anything else about it without looking it up.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

I'm reading through History of Seven Killings, but for a break I switched to Marlon James first novel, John Crow's Devil, which is straight up horror! What the heck! I'm really digging both of them.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CelestialCookie posted:

So I just finished Knut Hamsun’s Hunger and I am looking for more of his works. Any recommendations?

mysteries and wayfarers

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

pospysyl posted:

I'm reading through History of Seven Killings, but for a break I switched to Marlon James first novel, John Crow's Devil, which is straight up horror! What the heck! I'm really digging both of them.

That's rad, going to have to check that out.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, but his next novel is the first of a fantasy series that he is writing because he got in an argument with a friend who said there were no such thing as black hobbits lol

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I saw this at the bookstore today and I thought the more observant and well read of you might get a kick out of it

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

A human heart posted:

I follow like 40 people and some of them don't even update anymore, but these two guys both have generally good taste or read cool things, and if you dig through their friend lists you'll find more people: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4784332.Nate_Dorr, https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/531153-jonathan. There's also a guy who has like 10000 books listed and they're all insane out of print esoteric crap that no one else has read but i don't really look for recommendations there per se, he's just kind of cool to look at every once in a while.

Oh cool, a 1001 Books contributor.

Does anyone have an opinion on 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die? I own all four editions of it (which list 1,305 books total) and used it as my primary source of Real Literature recommendations before I found this thread.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I recommend reading Every Day is for the Thief by Teju Cole afterwards because it makes a very interesting companion piece

pospysyl posted:

I felt that way about Half of a Yellow Sun, which was also semi-assigned reading. I remember it being very powerful, but I couldn't tell you anything else about it without looking it up.

I read it a lot today and I like how a lot of the middle chapters are just a laundry list of "crazy poo poo americans say and do", which is amusing. American white culture always seems fundamentally alien to me. Nigerian culture as it's described in the book, although I don't really know anything about it, at least seems like I could understand it if I lived there and read about it, as I probably could do with most other cultures on this planet. American culture is the odd one out with people who say "AWESOME!!" to strangers and so on.

It also reminds me of some strongly America-oriented Japanese I've met, all the weird insecurity and horseshit about American accents.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's disappointing that the author apparently gave a TED talk though.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

After 28 years of avoiding it, I've learned that poetry is good as hell

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

blue squares posted:

After 28 years of avoiding it, I've learned that poetry is good as hell

what changed your mind?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Tree Goat posted:

what changed your mind?

You'll laugh but Rupi Kaur. I read one thing by her that made me cry. I've never had that reaction before. Then I realized most of her stuff is crap and bought Bloom's poetry anthology. I'm up to Milton now and just having my mind blown regularly.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

blue squares posted:

You'll laugh but Rupi Kaur. I read one thing by her that made me cry.

You are morally obligated to post the poem now

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

This is embarrassing:

how is it so easy for you
To be kind to people
he asked

milk and honey dripped
from my lips as I answered

cause people have not
been kind to me

Yeah I dunno, but it hit me in the feels at the book store so I bought it. I didn't finish the book

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
are you okay man

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

poo poo, anything can hit you in the gut if youre in the right/wrong headspace at the moment. no shame imo

but thats a really lovely poem though, and my tastes are at best pedestrian

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Well I'm reading Milton now so I have stepped up my game marginally

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

First poem I remember reading was by this 1960s guy who went by Soya. It's called a love story:

quote:

Hand in hand
Hand in it
It in hand
It in it

Blew my mind but it's basically just a silly-clever word game & not very ~poetic~ at all

Second one is by Henrik Nordbrandt, The Year has 16 Months:

quote:

November, December
January, February, March
April, May, June
July, August, September,
October, November, November, November, November

Again, super simplistic & word-gameish.

Now I'm an adult and I only read ww1 poetry

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
the first poem i remember reading was "august ice cream cone" by paul janeczko:

quote:

Lick
Quick

we had an orange tabby cat, and my mother would recite william blake's the tyger whenever she was mad at the cat

thus began my life-long love of poetry

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I have extremely strong memories of my dad reading The Jumblies by Edward Lear and me just walking around the house shouting far and few far and few are the lands where the jumblies live their heads are green their hands are blue and they went to see in a sieve.

blue squares posted:

Well I'm reading Milton now so I have stepped up my game marginally

Welcome, blue squares

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/transitorykris/status/809588921671684096

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

We had to memorise poetry at school and I used to memorise nonsense poetry instead of normal poems

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

J_RBG posted:

We had to memorise poetry at school and I used to memorise nonsense poetry instead of normal poems

Somewhere I have a piece of paper with a Danish poem in my own handwriting that reads like kinda lovely 80s poetry but I don't remember writing it and anyway it's way too diverse in vocabulary and references that I could have written it. Google hasn't helped me ever (like zero hits for phrases or partials).

I mean I should remember having written that, right? I must have copied it from someone else..?

Also Nael's tiger poem owns

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Between the in-joke
And the reference
Between the shitpost
And the ban
Falls the Shadow

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

“To poetize or not to (the same)?”
Who begged
that lovely question, what
the gently caress this is
the worst I hate
this poem.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I saw this at the bookstore today and I thought the more observant and well read of you might get a kick out of it

Story of Zhao Yun and Liu Bei is my favourite gay love story in classical literature

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Chazani posted:

Story of Zhao Yun and Liu Bei is my favourite gay love story in classical literature

Zhuge Liang and Zhou Yu's love-hate thing is pretty good too, IMO

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

After The War posted:

Between the in-joke
And the reference
Between the shitpost
And the ban
Falls the Shadow

nice.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
Ernst Jandl's 1944/1945:

markierung
einer wende
1944 1945
krieg krieg
krieg krieg
krieg krieg
krieg krieg
krieg mai
krieg
krieg
krieg
krieg
krieg
krieg
krieg

blue squares posted:

This is embarrassing:

I kind of respect you for owning up.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

First poem I remember reading was by this 1960s guy who went by Soya. It's called a love story:

Blew my mind but it's basically just a silly-clever word game & not very ~poetic~ at all

I like it

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune without the words,
And never stops at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I’ve heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

this is the poem that got me interested again blue squares

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

De mensen worden uit het landschap weggenomen:
wat een rust! vooreerst
nog geen puinhopen, het licht
is het licht dat er is
op huizen als dingen naamloze bomen
een klagende waakhond een jagende vos

later
naarmate het donker nadert
steeds meer kraaien –

People are taken from the landscape:
what rest! at first
not yet any rubble, the light
is the light that there is
on houses as things nameless trees
a whining guard dog a hunting fox

later
as darkness approaches
more and more crows -

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun
Dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dundun dun dundundun dun dun dun dun dun dun dundun dundun
BOOM
Dundun dundun dundun
BEEP
Dun dun dun dun dun
Dun dun
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BOOM
Daddaddadadsadadadadadadadadadaddadadadadadaddadadaddadadadadadadadadadadadaddadddadaddadadadd dadadadaddaddada
D
Dadadddaddadaddadadadddadadada
Nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nnyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu
Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
Nnn nn nn nn nn nn n nn nnn nn nn nnn nnn nnnnnnnn
Dddddddd ddadadadadaddadadadadadaadadadadadad
BOOM
Nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu
BOOM
BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM
BOOM
Nyunyunyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu nyu
BOOM BOOM
BEEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP
Dadadadadada
Ddadad
BOOM BOOM
BBEP BEEP
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP
BOOM
(Unintelligible)
Ddudndundun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dun dund
Dododododododododododododododododododododododododododododoodo
DRUM DRUM DRUM
Ddodododododoododododododododoodododododododo
Chi chichi chi chi chih
BOOOM
Chcihcihfkdhfdisjfkla
Dodododododododododododododododododododododododododododododododododoo
SCHEW
Dododododododoodododododododododododododo
Dadadadddudndundundudnudndundundunddunfudnundudnudnudndund
BOOM
FADE

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

De mensen worden uit het landschap weggenomen:
wat een rust! vooreerst
nog geen puinhopen, het licht
is het licht dat er is
op huizen als dingen naamloze bomen
een klagende waakhond een jagende vos

later
naarmate het donker nadert
steeds meer kraaien –

People are taken from the landscape:
what rest! at first
not yet any rubble, the light
is the light that there is
on houses as things nameless trees
a whining guard dog a hunting fox

later
as darkness approaches
more and more crows -

Kouwenaar! Excuse me for making it about translation again, but whose is this?

To combine the recent topics of short stories and poetry, here's a piece I love: "Green, Mud, Gold" by Sara Baume

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 17, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lex Neville posted:

Kouwenaar! Excuse me for making it about translation again, but whose is this?

To combine the recent topics of short stories and poetry, here's a piece I love: "Green, Mud, Gold" by Sara Baume

It's by this guy called shibawanko from the something awful forums

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Alright, cool! You do this more often? There's one or two things I think I'd do differently, but I don't want to be obnoxious and offer unsolicited feedback - or derail the thread any further - so if you enjoy discussing these things, feel free to pm me. No worries if not, of course!

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
He is making fun of sound/concrete poetry.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
speaking of poems, this is insanely good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Lex Neville posted:

Alright, cool! You do this more often? There's one or two things I think I'd do differently, but I don't want to be obnoxious and offer unsolicited feedback - or derail the thread any further - so if you enjoy discussing these things, feel free to pm me. No worries if not, of course!

I don't have plat and no I don't translate, I just translated this one really quickly because I like it and I wanted to show what it meant (it's about a world without humans). What should be different?

The second half of Americanah stinks honestly. Obinze's chapter is by far the best, a pretty believable portrayal of being an immigrant in Europe, everything after that is painful to read.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

I don't have plat and no I don't translate, I just translated this one really quickly because I like it and I wanted to show what it meant (it's about a world without humans). What should be different?

This is all personal, of course, but I think 'rest' for rust is probably a bit of a false friend because, while 'to rest' is a straightforward translation of the verb rusten, it doesn't evoke the same sense of tranquility as a noun, which is important exactly because of what it's about. Secondly, vooreerst is a marked manner of phrasing, which emphasises the idea that for now ('vooralsnog'), this is the way it is. Vooreerst in the sense of 'at first' or 'in the beginning' is more common in Flemish-Dutch, which I don't think is what we're dealing with, but more importantly it doesn't bear the ominous implication that humans will arrive and make puinhopen. In that sense, I think 'For now, / no rubble yet' might be more fitting (although 'for now' is less marked than vooreerst, which is a shame). Lastly, 'rubble' for puinhopen is less abstract than the source text; puinhopen also implies disarray as a result of human efforts or failure, rather than simply clutter like rubble does, but I'm not sure if I have another English phrase that I think suits it better readily available.

Anyway, none of these things should be different and, really, they're all a bit nitpicky considering you translated it simply to quickly show what it meant. I understood them to be more deliberate choices and was curious about the reasoning behind them. Also, I should add that I don't actually translate into English myself; I translate into Dutch.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Feb 17, 2018