Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I feel like a proper ToP is something that can only really happen in the manga, especially with the animation budget Super was saddled with. I'm trying to imagine that depicted in the anime and all I can imagine is everyone in that scene either flipping between the same two frames or Gmod flailing at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

They should just call it Super Saiyan 4.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

The Bee posted:

I feel like a proper ToP is something that can only really happen in the manga, especially with the animation budget Super was saddled with. I'm trying to imagine that depicted in the anime and all I can imagine is everyone in that scene either flipping between the same two frames or Gmod flailing at each other.

Considering how XV2 improved upon the anime's arcs a bit when adapting it (U6 vs U7 had Piccolo beat Bomato, the rest of the Tournament became a tag team thing; Black's Time Ring was the cause of the weirdass hole he ripped in the sky, ultimately proved their undoing when Trunks could use it to get extra Spirit Bomb Sword support), I'd wager the games could likewise improve upon it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Bee posted:

It's almost like they should've given a bigger animation budget to the flagship show with a massive arc centred around huge group fights that's making them millions upon millions of cash money.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

It's almost like they should've given a bigger animation budget to the flagship show with a massive arc centred around huge group fights that's making them millions upon millions of cash money.

It’s not so much the budget, Toei is stretched really thin for their animators and it shows.

Plus it’s poo poo and you’re still watching anyway, so what do they care? Their budget and animation time goes to Pretty Cure because people will actually stop watching it if it starts to look bad.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

TheKingofSprings posted:

It’s not so much the budget, Toei is stretched really thin for their animators and it shows.

Plus it’s poo poo and you’re still watching anyway, so what do they care? Their budget and animation time goes to Pretty Cure because people will actually stop watching it if it starts to look bad.

This is actually probably the best counterargument.

Toei doesn't care if the show is garbage because people still tune in every week to either watch it while ignoring the flaws (Which is fine to do; ignoring them is different from saying they don't exist), or to hatewatch it for being bad, and either way they get paid.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Is it normal for magazines in Japan to spoil the poo poo out of ongoing stories? Or is it like those poo poo soap opera rags who advertise themselves on ruining the plot?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Is it normal for magazines in Japan to spoil the poo poo out of ongoing stories? Or is it like those poo poo soap opera rags who advertise themselves on ruining the plot?

Japan doesn't give a poo poo about spoilers.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I don't know about Japan's attitude to spoilers, but Dragon Ball in particular is basically a children's toys commercial, so I'm not surprised they play it fast and loose with spoilers in magazines.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Okay, I laughed.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Chi-chi's overbearing and joyless to the point of suffocation but there's no argument to be made that she's a bad parent at all.

She's just someone you wouldn't ever want to interact with if she were a real person.

i'm pretty sure that's the exact argument that she's a bad parent

though in her defense "i don't want my literal small child son to go into space and fight kung-fu spacemen for magic orbs" is a perfectly valid complaint

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 17, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

what?? no what hosed up translation is that from

she calls him a delinquent because chi chi can't not associate super saiyan hair with delinquents dyeing their hair blonde

oh that makes more sense

i think it was from one of the original dubs, i remember it pretty clearly because it was so jarring and even as a kid i was like "wow what the gently caress chichi"

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I remember her using the word thug and thinking it was really weird, I thought she was just saying he would be someone else that spent their whole life fighting like Goku. It's something that doesn't translate to English very well, cause there's no way I'd ever associate blond hair with delinquency otherwise.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Steve2911 posted:

Being utterly terrified of having mundane things spoiled is a total westerner thing and its gotten really unbearable of late.

I tag out of courtesy but I pity spoiler culture.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Yinlock posted:

i'm pretty sure that's the exact argument that she's a bad parent

though in her defense "i don't want my literal small child son to go into space and fight kung-fu spacemen for magic orbs" is a perfectly valid complaint

DBZA jokes aside, yeah, I never really read Chi-Chi as particularly overbearing or unreasonable. She's a huge stick-in-the-mud about letting Gohan go off and do punchman things, but I wouldn't want my tiny child participating in battles to the death with space aliens and androids either. Remember that Gohan is a kid who got kidnapped by an evil alien, rescued, then kidnapped by another used-to-be-evil alien and forced to survive out in the wilderness alone when he was loving four. After that I'm surprised Chi-Chi didn't turn him into Bubble Boy.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Steve2911 posted:

Dragon Ball Heroes spoiled Goku and freeza being the final two vs Jiren literally months ago and here we are. Japan doesn’t care about spoilers

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Being utterly terrified of having mundane things spoiled is a total westerner thing and its gotten really unbearable of late.

I tag out of courtesy but I pity spoiler culture.

eh i can kind of understand it, i've had some huge poo poo spoiled for me in games before because i looked up something insignificant

some people just loving love spoiling poo poo at all times

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

DBZA jokes aside, yeah, I never really read Chi-Chi as particularly overbearing or unreasonable. She's a huge stick-in-the-mud about letting Gohan go off and do punchman things, but I wouldn't want my tiny child participating in battles to the death with space aliens and androids either. Remember that Gohan is a kid who got kidnapped by an evil alien, rescued, then kidnapped by another used-to-be-evil alien and forced to survive out in the wilderness alone when he was loving four. After that I'm surprised Chi-Chi didn't turn him into Bubble Boy.

Plus, every single time poo poo REALLY hit the fan, Chi-chi relented and allowed Gohan to train and fight, and in less stressful situations even let Goku abandon his family for a while to go train.

If anything, Chi-chi is surprisingly lax. Sure, she works hard to make sure Gohan becomes an actually productive member of society and not a complete sociopath who exterminates entire universes because he wants cool fights, but I can't exactly blame her for that, you know? And she even was more lax and accepting with Goten's fight passion, even though Goten is the least passionate kid ever.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
All I gotta say is

Este es el fin tio jiren

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kashuno posted:

Dragon Ball Heroes spoiled Goku and freeza being the final two vs Jiren literally months ago and here we are. Japan doesn’t care about spoilers

Ehh it's poo poo like that which makes it clear that they don't give two shits about storytelling.

People complaining about people not wanting the plot and contents of their entertainment known in advance suck toes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stories are better when you don't know what's going to happen next imo.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The thing that dragonball is trying to do isn't really impacted much by spoilers

Like, we all know that there are absolutely 0 major permanent risks. The end of Z is in universe years away, and everyone is perfectly fine there. We all know where things will end up, so the cool stuff is the characters and action along the way, which spoilers don't really effect.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Saagonsa posted:

The thing that dragonball is trying to do isn't really impacted much by spoilers

Like, we all know that there are absolutely 0 major permanent risks. The end of Z is in universe years away, and everyone is perfectly fine there. We all know where things will end up, so the cool stuff is the characters and action along the way, which spoilers don't really effect.

also "the main characters win" is not exactly a stunning plot twist

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Life's a journey, not a destination.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Esto es el fin, señor Jiren

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yinlock posted:

also "the main characters win" is not exactly a stunning plot twist

Even for a kids cartoon I'd have thought a new form would be the sort of "oh poo poo" moment that'd be better as a surprise.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Steve2911 posted:

Even for a kids cartoon I'd have thought a new form would be the sort of "oh poo poo" moment that'd be better as a surprise.

I remember knowing about Super Saiyan form like a really long time before the show got there in Mexico and it was still an oh poo poo moment that was the talk of the playground the next day when it finally happened

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

American and Canadian kids knew Goku and Vegeta were going to go Super Saiyan 60 episodes before the concept was even vaguely introduced and we didn’t give a poo poo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

American and Canadian kids knew Goku and Vegeta were going to go Super Saiyan 60 episodes before the concept was even vaguely introduced and we didn’t give a poo poo

mostly because how it happened and what it even was wasn't apparent from just the opening

dude just had a cool hairdo all of a sudden

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Yinlock posted:

mostly because how it happened and what it even was wasn't apparent from just the opening

dude just had a cool hairdo all of a sudden

Vegeta roared and his hair turned yellow, and people roar in DBZ to get stronger

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I knew SSJ only because of Mexico. They were on the Buu saga and I didn’t know who the hell Vegito was for the longest meanwhile here in America we were on a endless loop hole of Namek to Raditz

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really remember much about where I first saw Super Saiyan, but the first episode I saw after a long while of not having cable was Trunks killing Frieza, so the iconic first time has never been one of the defining scenes for me personally.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had heard of Dragon Ball Z before it aired on Toonami in 1998. I never saw it, but I only knew about it on some Geocities Mega Man fan site I read when I was in fifth grade.

And like any information I knew about other anime such as Sailor Moon, Internet access at home was where I learned about anything ahead of time.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Trunks was my favorite character like as soon as I went on the internet and found out he existed and as the Frieda saga went I was more and more excited thinking that Namek was gonna wrap up any day now and Vegeta’s kid with a sword was gonna maybe show up and one time I threw a half-tantrum because I had to go grocery shopping with my mom when DBZ was on and it was like, the third episode of Goku being super saiyan BUT TRUNKS MIGHT SHOW UP IN TODAYS EPISODE
E: whoops hit post before I was done

Sockser fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Feb 18, 2018

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I watched dbz with my dad when it came out, but I was too young to really understand it so that came later with budokai and the internet

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I played Dragon Ball Final Bout while we were still in the middle of the Namek saga.

Ougher
Jan 16, 2005

Rhonne posted:

I played Dragon Ball Final Bout while we were still in the middle of the Namek saga.

I am also guilty of playing this terrible game. I didn't give a poo poo then because I loved anything Dragonball.

turnways
Jun 22, 2004

I came into DBZ halfway through the Saiyan arc on Cartoon Network and I remember when they looped back to the first episode from the Namek stuff and thinking, well, this is a pretty weird side-story about a farmer meeting another Saiyan but okay I guess if we get Super Saiyan in an episode or two that'll be fine.

I'd also had a bunch of DBZ stuff from the local anime store at the mall and I couldn't understand why Goku kept reverting from his SSJ transformation because I thought it was permanent.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Rhonne posted:

I loved the hell out of this amazing, terrible game. It was so cool to see all these characters we wouldn't have any context for until like five years in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Final bout is where my hatred of Super Baby (Great Ape Form) was formed. Cheap rear end boss. And then the series came out. Yup still hated Baby.