Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They should give Dragon Ball to an American studio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

My point is more that Super was never going to be anything other than what it is, and comparing it to all those other things is pretty much putting the cart before the horse.

What MAY have been potentially been better executed and actually plausible is them committing to a yearly run instead of having it run endlessly/until it was brought to a close, but that's still a pretty heavy strain on the animators. But then, even the shorter run stuff work their staff pretty drat hard.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Augus posted:

I'm not. Goku Black was pretty inconsistent too and the arc ended with a complete hard left turn into apocalyptic cosmic horror that lasted for about 3 minutes before the reset button had to be pushed. They're good at starting arcs and even building excitement in the middle of the arc, but they limp across the finish line.

Oh I'm never going to bat for their plotting abilities. But Goku Black was never a boring character, in between his perverse hatred/desire for Goku, his bromance with Zamasu, and his disdaina for ningens.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Oh I'm never going to bat for their plotting abilities. But Goku Black was never a boring character, in between his perverse hatred/desire for Goku, his bromance with Zamasu, and his disdaina for ningens.

also his weird powers that come from the fact that he has no loving idea what he's doing

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So three episodes after the new arc starts there's a clipshow recap of the last three episodes huh

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Burkion posted:

So don't think that Toei going the exact opposite route with Super would be ANY loving better

I mean I guess but I don't think that the problems you're referencing with tri actually have anything to do with that and I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion. the problem with either isn't the format

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Black had a personality and had style. The dude was a zealot for a religion that was basically himself and wholeheartedly believed he was doing the right thing and everyone else was the bad guy. His flowery rants about mortals and the perfection of gods never got old because they were just so intense and over the top and weird.

Jiren is, like, sub-Cell levels of interesting. Nothing about him checks out in any way.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Goku Black would have been perfect if he wasn't literally just Zamatsu and never fused with Zamatsu.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
what really chafes on Jiren is there actually are two distinct characterizations, both of which, if they were stuck to, would be interesting.

If he really was just a nice, no kill guy, who refused to eliminate people because he hated the idea of destroying dimensions, who was spending his time meditating because he was watching U11 for threats (Someone mentioned this in the thread as an idea and it was a loving fantastic one), who was only strong but not really looking for strength but had some other goal, then it wouldn't have mattered if he won or lost, because he'd have shown himself to be so different from Goku as to be a good foil to him. If he had won it would have been amazing, and it wouldn't have been surprising to have him wish back all the universes. That guy would have been cool, because it would have been so radically different from a normal DBZ antagonist, or even Goku himself.

If he started out and clearly was a guy who was hung up on being strong, who had this team of dudes who called him 'Friend' and who looked up to him and the truth was he didn't really care about them, they just thought he did and he didn't care enough to correct them, who looked down on everyone and only wanted to get stronger, he's boring and generic, but he's at least consistent. He's a generic bad guy for Goku to beat, so Goku can be the hero, no matter how the arc shaped up, because Jiren himself could be shown to be selfish and a dickbag, only in it for himself. This guy would be fine, because hey, it's a tournament arc and it's ending the series, give Goku a decent victory, let him end as a hero, don't worry too much about it.

Instead they spent like 30 episodes on the first one while acting like there was some big secret while pretty heavily implying that it was gonna be that Jiren finds this all distasteful, then they swerve insanely hard to smash into the second one, and the whole thing catches fire and now it's all terrible. It's clear this whole thing is not consistent and had been changed; even Jiren's backstory seems like it was made for something else originally; it's a standard bad backstory that seems intending to go 'look, he's just like Goku except he didn't have the Dragonballs to revive his friends', and then Android 17 goes 'lol loser stop being so hung up on reviving people from the dead' while everyone from U7 has been revived at least once, and that's it.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

punk rebel ecks posted:

Goku Black would have been perfect if he wasn't literally just Zamatsu and never fused with Zamatsu.

Him fusing was worth it when he revealed his fusion name was Zamasu.

Also this episode is the only time Beerus' you fought well praise feels like it means something.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
I can't loving believe the Tournament of Power is going to end with Goku Blanco vs Jiren

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

Black had a personality and had style. The dude was a zealot for a religion that was basically himself and wholeheartedly believed he was doing the right thing and everyone else was the bad guy. His flowery rants about mortals and the perfection of gods never got old because they were just so intense and over the top and weird.

Jiren is, like, sub-Cell levels of interesting. Nothing about him checks out in any way.

Cell was at least smuglord as gently caress and his evolutions were fun

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

punk rebel ecks posted:

You're like half a step away from suggesting the Goku Black/Zamasu hug shouldn't have happened and buddy, we're about to have some problems.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think having non-stop fighting with little to no downtime for 30+ episodes really hurt this arc.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Momomo posted:

You're like half a step away from suggesting the Goku Black/Zamasu hug shouldn't have happened and buddy, we're about to have some problems.

Since I just recently watched that arc, that specific moment was when I became really good with the whole thing. Just the idea that the only person Zamasu can love and trust and appreciate is himself.

I thought Vegeta's last stand was quite good. I went into the episode expecting him to pull some energy out again like he has repeatedly but he really was running on fumes and trying anyway. The fact that both he and Goku went through that this episode really hammered in the hopelessness so when it came time for Goku to go UI it felt really satisfying, especially with Goku getting that big hit on Jiren.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

what really chafes on Jiren is there actually are two distinct characterizations, both of which, if they were stuck to, would be interesting.

If he really was just a nice, no kill guy, who refused to eliminate people because he hated the idea of destroying dimensions, who was spending his time meditating because he was watching U11 for threats (Someone mentioned this in the thread as an idea and it was a loving fantastic one), who was only strong but not really looking for strength but had some other goal, then it wouldn't have mattered if he won or lost, because he'd have shown himself to be so different from Goku as to be a good foil to him. If he had won it would have been amazing, and it wouldn't have been surprising to have him wish back all the universes. That guy would have been cool, because it would have been so radically different from a normal DBZ antagonist, or even Goku himself.

If he started out and clearly was a guy who was hung up on being strong, who had this team of dudes who called him 'Friend' and who looked up to him and the truth was he didn't really care about them, they just thought he did and he didn't care enough to correct them, who looked down on everyone and only wanted to get stronger, he's boring and generic, but he's at least consistent. He's a generic bad guy for Goku to beat, so Goku can be the hero, no matter how the arc shaped up, because Jiren himself could be shown to be selfish and a dickbag, only in it for himself. This guy would be fine, because hey, it's a tournament arc and it's ending the series, give Goku a decent victory, let him end as a hero, don't worry too much about it.

Instead they spent like 30 episodes on the first one while acting like there was some big secret while pretty heavily implying that it was gonna be that Jiren finds this all distasteful, then they swerve insanely hard to smash into the second one, and the whole thing catches fire and now it's all terrible. It's clear this whole thing is not consistent and had been changed; even Jiren's backstory seems like it was made for something else originally; it's a standard bad backstory that seems intending to go 'look, he's just like Goku except he didn't have the Dragonballs to revive his friends', and then Android 17 goes 'lol loser stop being so hung up on reviving people from the dead' while everyone from U7 has been revived at least once, and that's it.

I agree with all of this.

Momomo posted:

Oh the hug should have still happened, just that Goku Black shouldn't have been Zamasu. I would even accept Goku Black to be "a person who exists because Zamasu wished for a new Goku to be born to have the same ideals as him."

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

why would that be better

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It wouldn't. He's misdiagnosising the flaws of the arc

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Zamasu wanting power so much that he would even steal Goku's body is better than it just being a fake. His final form literally just being his normal self but with Super Saiyan hair is by far the most perfect thing they could have done, since it shows him exactly as the Frank Grimes he is.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I only jumped in at the tail end but I liked Black

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I have some serious problems with Master UI being light bright hair and that's mostly just because I can't stop laughing at it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Reposting it since it was mentioned at it's just so good

Like look at the amount of work they put into simulating a camera pan so that you can see the most evil of hugs in all it's 360º glory.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Oh the hug should have still happened, just that Goku Black shouldn't have been Zamasu. I would even accept Goku Black to be "a person who exists because Zamasu wished for a new Goku to be born to have the same ideals as him."

Zamasu huggin himself is the entire point of why this scene is just so good. Change Goku Black into a generic doombot and the scene just becomes weird

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Feb 18, 2018

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Man I will say UI looks amazing still. Just base form Goku glowing and looking like a badass I super dig it. I think it genuinely is way cooler then his hair being a different color so not exactly looking forward to it turning white, memes aside.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

why would that be better

Because Zamasu is a lovely character.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Man I will say UI looks amazing still. Just base form Goku glowing and looking like a badass I super dig it. I think it genuinely is way cooler then his hair being a different color so not exactly looking forward to it turning white, memes aside.

It looks more like someone on deviant art just playing with light filters and loving up big time on his hair color being some sort of super lenseflare.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

punk rebel ecks posted:

Would some fake golem Goku be a good character?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it looks like Mastered UI also destroys Goku's shirt which is a twist on a tried and true concept

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

punk rebel ecks posted:

Goku Black didn't really have a lot of character before the Zamasu reveal period so I don't get what the beef is here

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Would some fake golem Goku be a good character?

Better than Zamasu yeah

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I just can't believe that Super Saiyan Blanco was canon this whole time!

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Jiren's whole deal being that he's obsessed with strength above everything makes him sort of a mirror to Goku, and could serve as a cautionary tale that helps him develop into less of a self-obsessed fightmonkey and eventually leading him to take on a student.

If that's the case, the shallowness of Jiren's backstory could well be intentional.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Meme magic is the most powerful force in the universe.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
NEXT, NEXT YOU'RE GONNA TELL ME THE MOVIE COMING OUT THIS YEAR IS A SCOOBY DOO/DRAGONBALL CROSSOVER LIKE THE MEET KISS VIDEO AND loving SHAG AND SCOOB POWER UP TO FIGHT WITH GOKU I -- I don't even know what I'm going to do...

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Goku's going to dab and then show Jiren a socially awkward penguin and Jiren's going to jump off the stage as a suicide, gifting U7 the win.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

It's giving him a Kai's hair, aside from the style. "Equal of Heaven" and all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

how would a character that is literally the same as zamasu be better than zamasu

like you're asking for goku black to be literally identical except he has a different name I guess? how does that even make sense

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Hjalmar posted:

Jiren's whole deal being that he's obsessed with strength above everything makes him sort of a mirror to Goku, and could serve as a cautionary tale that helps him develop into less of a self-obsessed fightmonkey and eventually leading him to take on a student.

If that's the case, the shallowness of Jiren's backstory could well be intentional.

we both know it isn't

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hjalmar posted:

I don't think that is remotely the case. Everything sounds like a stretch or a justification when the obvious answer is "they made a bad villain".

Not everything is a masterstroke of storytelling from the people who have already dropped the ball a dozen times in one arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

how would a character that is literally the same as zamasu be better than zamasu

like you're asking for goku black to be literally identical except he has a different name I guess? how does that even make sense

I'm asking to make Goku Black literally anyone but Zamasu. I don't care what backstory you have for him, just insert anything.