Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Arcsquad12 posted:

So apparently the GNX is based off a ten year old kit? I was thinking of picking it up, but now I'm leery.

Which version? The 00 line seems to have seen a big jump in kit quality somewhere, with the Flag and Exia being a bit iffy up to the 00Q being superb.

Having made a ALAWS GNX III back then and an original GNX a few weeks back, I'd say they are still great, but the ALAWS one has some big stickers to get the colours right as an alternative to redoing the frames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The battlelogue version with the extra armor

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Looks ace, if you're not concerned about slightly limited elbows it should be great.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

EVGA Longoria posted:

I looked these up and they look interesting. Was curious, and couldn't find anything googling - how does dual action work with a pistol trigger? It looks a lot more comfortable to hold, but I don't know if I understand how it would work.

The first part of the trigger pull will start the air only, and then pulling the trigger back further will start to move the needle back. Technically speaking it's not the same thing as a dual action, since the airflow and paint flow are not completely independent, but it's rare that you'd want to start the air with the needle already pulled back, since that usually ends up with spattering or flooding.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Re: airbrushes, double action gravity fed Paasche Talons run around $75ish, $85 with a hose, and can take different size needles/nozzles. They have ironclad customer service - got an issue, just email them and they'll help you troubleshoot. Can't resolve it? Send it in, they'll either fix it or just send you a whole new airbrush.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Paasche Talon is at the top of my list for my replacement. I'm still looking for easy cleaning (ie, take it apart and stick it in a jeweler's bath) above pretty much all else though for a basic coat bush.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So before I finish up the astray I decided to do a quick HG and built the HG Kampfer and I really like it. I want to go and do some detailing on it's vents and thrusters and make them the yellow/orange that it's supposed to be. What are some tips for doing small detailing like that. I've got tamiya red/yellow/orange to get the right color, but should I prime for small detailing like that, sand the areas first, other poo poo im not thinking of. Not really sure on what to do to make them come out well.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

EthanSteele posted:

Paasche Talon is at the top of my list for my replacement. I'm still looking for easy cleaning (ie, take it apart and stick it in a jeweler's bath) above pretty much all else though for a basic coat bush.

It's quite easy to disassemble for cleaning. The needle guide and trigger flange are one piece, and the aircap has just one o-ring to leave off. I put mine in a shot glass, fill the glass and cup with lacquer thinner, put it in the ultrasonic tank, and fill the tank with water. A cycle through and it's golden.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anyone have some suggestions for Strike Rouge colors in acrylic paints? Vallejo would be especially awesome, but anything acrylic works. I've got an RG Build Strike slated to be the Build Strike Rouge, and I'm thinking I might be expanding that out to include a Freedom and/or Strike Freedom Rouge.

EthanSteele posted:

I've been reading up, and someone pointed out that airbrushes require lube on the trigger assembly (and maybe more?) to actually be usable. Makes sense, but also means a full bath is probably a bad idea.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

EVGA Longoria posted:

I've got an RG Build Strike slated to be the Build Strike Rouge, and I'm thinking I might be expanding that out to include a Freedom and/or Strike Freedom Rouge.

I like the cut of this one's jib.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EVGA Longoria posted:

Anyone have some suggestions for Strike Rouge colors in acrylic paints? Vallejo would be especially awesome, but anything acrylic works. I've got an RG Build Strike slated to be the Build Strike Rouge, and I'm thinking I might be expanding that out to include a Freedom and/or Strike Freedom Rouge.

I've been reading up, and someone pointed out that airbrushes require lube on the trigger assembly (and maybe more?) to actually be usable. Makes sense, but also means a full bath is probably a bad idea.

Mech9 does translations of manuals and also includes paint charts for different brands, including Vallejo. They don't have the RG but have the PG instead:

http://www.mech9.com/2015/01/pg-160-strike-rouge-color-guide.html

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

MJP posted:

It's quite easy to disassemble for cleaning. The needle guide and trigger flange are one piece, and the aircap has just one o-ring to leave off. I put mine in a shot glass, fill the glass and cup with lacquer thinner, put it in the ultrasonic tank, and fill the tank with water. A cycle through and it's golden.

Nice nice nice, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

EVGA Longoria posted:

Yeah I'll have to make sure to give it some lube!

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
For the love of god don't buy an expensive airbrush if this is your first time airbrushing. Start with something simple and easy to mantain, like a Paasche model H. If it works for you good, keep it. If you want something fancier try single action gravity fed cup style airbrush, or a spraygun style from Mr. Hobby. But don't go around looking to buy a loving Harder-Steenbeck instrument of fine precision.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Ka0 posted:

For the love of god don't buy an expensive airbrush if this is your first time airbrushing. Start with something simple and easy to mantain, like a Paasche model H. If it works for you good, keep it. If you want something fancier try single action gravity fed cup style airbrush, or a spraygun style from Mr. Hobby. But don't go around looking to buy a loving Harder-Steenbeck instrument of fine precision.

I'm not sure if I'd recommend a model H over a Master airbrush HP-C clone. The H is legendary, sure, but there's no reason a beginner should pick a single action external feed airbrush over a cheap double action internal mix.

Also, any of Mr Hobby's dual actions are solid. Even for the crazy precision stuff. Not sure I'd recommend their spraygun, since the fan pattern on the .5mm requires a higher cfm.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

New on P-Bandai today, the HG Heavy Gundam

Another oddball from the Origin MSD series. Some of which I like and are interesting takes on the original MSG designs, some of which are just weird and don't make much sense. This one I'm a little torn on though, as while I kind of like the idea, the execution is a little goofy. I mean that arm cannon is almost the size of the entire kit and the shoulder cannon looks rather kitbashy for an official release.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Symetrique posted:

I'm not sure if I'd recommend a model H over a Master airbrush HP-C clone. The H is legendary, sure, but there's no reason a beginner should pick a single action external feed airbrush over a cheap double action internal mix.

If you go for the Master Airbrush clones, be extremely careful if you're disassembling the airbrush and removing the nozzle. It is made of INCREDIBLY soft and cheap metal of some sort and over-tightening will snap the nozzle right off the threads, leaving you with a useless airbrush.

I was always curious if the real deal Iwatas were the same but I couldn't quite find any reviews or info on that level of detail so I'll probably just stick with Paasche for now. I had some cup-bubbling issues that I couldn't quite fix even after a total teardown and bath, so I went from the default nozzle/aircap to the .58mm one. It's taking some getting used to but it's just as effective, although I find I need to up the pressure to get a cleaner atomization of the paint.

RillAkBea posted:

Another oddball from the Origin MSD series. Some of which I like and are interesting takes on the original MSG designs, some of which are just weird and don't make much sense. This one I'm a little torn on though, as while I kind of like the idea, the execution is a little goofy. I mean that arm cannon is almost the size of the entire kit and the shoulder cannon looks rather kitbashy for an official release.

gently caress MY LIFE, I have the MG that I de-nubbed and cleaned up for future assembly. Now that I'm downgrading to HGs/RGs if no MG is available, now I gotta buy this beauty ;_;

Does it still have the 80s villain sunglasses eyepiece? It kinda looks like it does, and if it does I am totally candy-coating it red over chrome. :getin:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Looks like the North American Ground Gundam with some extra bits, which I'm all for since that color scheme is real good.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
If the heavy has the same head as the North American Local, you can indeed look forward to slick robot Oakleys

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

RillAkBea posted:

that arm cannon rules.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
Is this the first p-bandai origins kit that adds extra stuff? I've only seen a few exclusives in the line but all of them just seem like recolors of conventional origins kits

also an airbrush+future is an absolute game changer, i'm running dullcote through it tomorrow, and I got the hose/exhaust fan on my spray booth working. pray i don't asphyxiate myself goons :v:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

Fffuck that cannon arm is sexy.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Neurolimal posted:

Fffuck that cannon arm is sexy.

Yeah, that arm cannon is amazing. The color scheme is meh to me, but that arm cannon.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

MJP posted:

I was always curious if the real deal Iwatas were the same but I couldn't quite find any reviews or info on that level of detail so I'll probably just stick with Paasche for now. I had some cup-bubbling issues that I couldn't quite fix even after a total teardown and bath, so I went from the default nozzle/aircap to the .58mm one. It's taking some getting used to but it's just as effective, although I find I need to up the pressure to get a cleaner atomization of the paint.

There is a pretty big difference between the two. Iwata nozzles are still fragile, but they're machined to a much higher tolerance. Pretty sure that all of the Chinese clones use o rings on the nozzle to get an airtight seal, but the iwata/Mr hobby nozzles don't. I personally use a bit of chapstick on the threads of the nozzle and simply tighten it with my fingers. I only use the little wrench if I'm trying to remove the nozzle.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

tenderjerk posted:

Is this the first p-bandai origins kit that adds extra stuff? I've only seen a few exclusives in the line but all of them just seem like recolors of conventional origins kits

also an airbrush+future is an absolute game changer, i'm running dullcote through it tomorrow, and I got the hose/exhaust fan on my spray booth working. pray i don't asphyxiate myself goons :v:

No, a lot of P. BANDAI stuff has extra bits, even when they're just a recolor. The recent Gelgoog I got, for example, also comes with some kind of four pronged missile launcher.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does simple green melt polycaps? I have a part I want to to strip but it has polycaps in it, will soaking it in simple green for 24 hours melt the soft rubber?

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 20, 2018

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Green stuff or Simple Green? I'm pretty sure Simple Green is supposed to be soft-plastic friendly

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

Green stuff or Simple Green? I'm pretty sure Simple Green is supposed to be soft-plastic friendly

yeah, simple green, whoops. thanks

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
For a second I thought you were going to try and strip paint with sculpting putty and I got confused.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

After being so sick for a week to the point where I couldn't do lights without suffering from an extreme headache...I'm finally well enough to work on my kit.

:toot:

He stands on his own two feet for now! I need to finish up the backpack and weapons, and the stand I ordered needs to arrive, but my first MG is all but finished and I'm really proud of it. The markering really makes him pop, too!

I did manage to break a piece and have to glue it on, but it looks fine and doesn't impact the rest of the kit, so phew.

All in all I am very happy and cannot wait to give him some wings and put him on a stand. :D

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I'm watching Stardust Memories again and I wonder if anyone is looking at those designs for a MG 2.0. I'd love for their to be a Physalis kit where painting isn't a requirement.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't think they're gonna do another Physalis until they've figured out how to make it strong enough to hold up it's own shield.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't think they're gonna do another Physalis until they've figured out how to make it strong enough to hold up it's own shield.

They should probably do the same thing they do with the 00 quan[t] kits and just have a separate stand for it.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

They should probably do the same thing they do with the 00 quan[t] kits and just have a separate stand for it.

Probably, but the big swords they do stands for are usually gonna be in some kind of cool active pose. like 99% of the time the bottom of the GP02's shield is gonna be like, half an inch above the shelf. Having to include a stand for that seems like a waste

Also, I guess we're getting SDs with internal frames?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I hope they're universal or semi-universal, sounds like it could make for some really good kitbashes.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Yawgmoft posted:

I'm watching Stardust Memories again and I wonder if anyone is looking at those designs for a MG 2.0. I'd love for their to be a Physalis kit where painting isn't a requirement.

i would dust off the old hobby cutter for a zaku f2 mg that doesnt look like a pudgy mess :(

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I finished snapping the PB RG Matsunaga Zaku today and overall it was pretty good. I liked how they gave each iteration of the 06R slightly different leg armor and the Matsunaga version even comes with a weapon the others don't have, though it is ostensibly just the giant baz with a different rear end. On the downside the backpacks feel somewhat simpler than they should be for an RG. While much better than an HG, there is one part that needs the marking stickers for color. (The Matsunaga version also has two yellow bits on the shoulder that have to be recreated with stickers.) And finally, even on the bloody RG they couldn't quite figure out how to do the Shin Matsunaga shoulder stripe without it becoming a wrinkly mess, in this case I think the HG actually did it better as it did at least give you two different ways to stick it on.

Other than the legs and backpack though, it's still the exact same RG Zaku as RG02 but being a more recent release it does come with some nice fixed hands with proper chubby zeonic fingers.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was bad enough that the MG Hazel was P-Bandai, but now they're doing a P-Bandai MG Hrududu.

So there's going to be a MG Hazel-Rah, and I won't be able to buy it

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I know why you folks wanted me to get a stand for the MG Dark Exia: this fellow is tippy as hell. And his wing assembly falls off if you look at it funny.

It looks rad, but oh maaan I can't wait for my stand to get here.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Some details about the SDSC stuff https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2018/02/sd-cross-sihouette-revealed-in-hobby.html

Looks like there's 2 distinct frames? "Common frame" and "Cross silhouette", which is taller? Looks like the parts are swappable otherwise,, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Seems like Xsil uses the proportions that kitbashers have been favoring for a while now, which is pretty cool.