Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

What in the gently caress.

I couldn't even process what I was looking at for a couple of minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hmm... for some reason I thought Sturgis was a larger town than that.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

GotLag posted:

I found something that I think belongs in this thread: https://imgur.com/gallery/tci6C

Facebook Aunt posted:

The good news is that if the toilet overflows it will wash the filthy carpet!

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I'm amazed that there's so much finished space and only four bedrooms. Not every gently caress party has to finish with everyone in the same room-sized bed and that's way too high class for people to be waking up passed out on couches and floors.

The 8-track across from the can is perfect.

Why do you guys keep posting pictures of Graceland?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

GotLag posted:

I found something that I think belongs in this thread: https://imgur.com/gallery/tci6C

The rest of that gallery is a pro click. The '80s multiline phone and 8-track audio system in the bathroom are what got me. Or maybe the mirrored bed frame.

Facebook Aunt posted:

The good news is that if the toilet overflows it will wash the filthy carpet!
Imagine having to climb those stairs while holding back a monster dump. Or diarrhea.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Darchangel posted:

Imagine having to climb those stairs while holding back a monster dump. Or diarrhea.

Looking at the state of that carpet, I don't think they ever bothered to hold anything in.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I want to be
Up in the trees
In an illegal tree house rental
With you

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7z1i0e/the_tree_house_i_was_renting_ended_up_being_an/

The tree house I was renting ended up being an illegal structure. Landlord won't give us back security deposit. (Oregon)

(self.legaladvice)
submitted 16 hours ago * by Jinjoz

quote:

Wife and I were looking for a place to rent, a good friend of ours told us her parents have a small house they could rent to us. While the parents own the building their son-in-law is the landlord. The house was a one bedroom one bath tree house, as it was suspended in the air and anchored by four trees. We did a walk through with the landlord and saw that there was no smoke detectors, fire extinguisher, or carbon monoxide detectors and asked those be placed in and and the stairs leading to the bedroom were very steep and there was no railing. Landlord said that would be taken care of and we signed a one year lease.

As the months go on we noticed that the porch outside had a few weak spots and even one board that had rotted to the point where it broke through. Being that the porch was about 20-30 feet in the air, this worried us as we had a one year old son who loved playing outside with his toys on the porch. We informed the owner about it and while he agreed to fix it, it was never fixed. Also at this point the issues with the stairs was not addressed as well.

About October of 2017 the owner comes to visit, were good friends and go to the same church, and tells us they are planning on selling the house soon which includes the tree house. He didn't give us an exact time when that would happen but implied that we should start looking for a new place. We do some generally looking but aren't too concerned. next month he tells us that they aren't selling, than the month after they say they are. We decided to start looking for a home, as the owners hinting at us wanting the leave plus some of the unsafe conditions of the house led to this decision. We found a home and applied and informed the owner and said that is great and was very happy for us.

We informed our landlord at the beginning of January 2018, he simply said all right, this will be the thirty day notice today. Also of note we would be breaking our lease early, but since we got so much encouragement from the owner it felt as if it was a mutual decision (An understandable oversight and bad move on our part).

We move out, clean the place up quite thoroughly, and leave them the keys. During out final inspection there was a small dent in one of the walls, and a rather large scratch on the wood floor. We talk to our landlord and he said that we will need to pay , the break lease fee and some other cleaning fees and such. We were under the impression that all was well between us and the owner, which was why we felt comfortable to move out. We asked about our security deposit, didn't get an answer, but we are assuming he is taking our deposit and using it to pay for the fees

I decided to call the county and ask them about building permits and zoning in terms of the property we live on. Turns out the house we were in was built without permits, there is no certificate of occupancy, and isn't even known about according to the county. We asked our landlord if he could send us a certificate of occupancy to which he replied that there isn't one. This was over text message

What are my best actions here to get our security deposit back? Do I issue an ultimatum basically saying 'Give us the security deposit back or the county will find out?' Along with the building be illegal, the plumbing is basically set where our waste went into a field near the house. The stench was so bad in the summer.

This is a whole new are of life for me so i'm not one hundred percent sure what to do next.

TLDR: Signed a lease and rented a small home. We we felt urged to break our lease early from the owners. We moved out, they want us to pay break lease fees and they want to use our security deposit to pay for wear and tear and other fees. Found out the place we were renting was an illegal structure and not permitted.

https://imgur.com/gallery/8qUC7

The pictures are AMAZING.
How can anyone look at that and think, hmm, yes that looks like a normal and safe structure for humans to live in?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Because Portland has almost toxically embraced the alternative lifestyle hippy poo poo I grew up with in Austin.

There's still an appreciable difference between "non traditional home," and "illegal two story treehouse of horror" but the price could also influence people's decision. Portland's values are insane.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

canyoneer posted:

I want to be
Up in the trees
With you

https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/7z1i0e/the_tree_house_i_was_renting_ended_up_being_an/

The tree house I was renting ended up being an illegal structure. Landlord won't give us back security deposit. (Oregon)

(self.legaladvice)

How can anyone look at that and think, hmm, yes that looks like a normal and safe structure for humans to live in?
Grove house

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

canyoneer posted:

I want to be
Up in the trees
With you

(self.legaladvice)

How, in America, land of the suing culture, are they not suing for the deposit, any fees charged for credit checks/letting, and all their rent back too? And lawyer fees?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Guy keeps posting fun nuggets in the comments:

quote:

So originally they had a septic tank, but eventually it filled up or cracked and it started seeping out. Than they unattached it and just let it flow into a field. Than they shut that off and put it one of those compost toilets that you have to personally empty every two weeks or so

When someone asked why they agreed to live in a place without smoke detectors and appeared to be an obvious deathtrap:

quote:

Gotta do what ya gotta do. Luckily they did give us a decent rate on rent and it's what we could afford at the time

quote:

Best part is the house is slanted as well. The two trees on one side grew faster than the other ones. So as your walking into the kitchen you can feel the slight down hill

quote:

My wife's father is a builder and he lost his poo poo when all this went down. The most frustrating part is our landlord is treating us like we're idiots and will just roll and just accept this. I even have a text message from him admitting that the building didn't have a certificate of occupancy and he knew that before we moved in
Hmm why would the landlord treat someone who was paying to live in a slanted deathtrap where you have to empty out your own camp toilet every couple of weeks like an idiot?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'm glad someone realized they might need to call three electricians at once.
Considering the look of the installation you might need it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

canyoneer posted:

quote:

Best part is the house is slanted as well. The two trees on one side grew faster than the other ones. So as your walking into the kitchen you can feel the slight down hill

That's not how trees grow, the place was either always off level, or is sagging because of poor construction/rot/etc.

Or both, I mean, obviously.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What are you talking about, this is totally a sane place to live.

https://imgur.com/a/s6BhQ

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Feb 21, 2018

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

When I was in a waiting room recently, there was a tv show about professionally built tree houses. I was wondering how many would end up being rented out illegally.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

100%

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Tunicate posted:

What are you talking about, this is totally a sane place to live.

https://imgur.com/a/s6BhQ

Oh drat, I missed this the first time I skimmed through them:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Holy hell.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why is there what looks like a propane tank wedged behind the washer drier?

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Baronjutter posted:

Why is there what looks like a propane tank wedged behind the washer drier?

Gas powered dryer most like and the local utility wouldn't run a line to a tree.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’m going to guess the drier runs off the propane bottle. Otherwise, the electrical service to the shack would have to be way bigger than it is. How do I know how big the electrical service is? Because there is a 1000% chance that the extension cord draped along the bridge is it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
The stove in the kitchen also runs on gas, so there's probably a second propane tank in the kitchen somewhere (probably under the cabinets.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Budgie posted:

How, in America, land of the suing culture, are they not suing for the deposit, any fees charged for credit checks/letting, and all their rent back too? And lawyer fees?

How were they damaged? They paid to live in a lovely place, they lived in the lovely place, they moved out of the lovely place. The fact that the lovely place was also an illegal place for them to be living doesn't mean they were damaged and are made whole by having all the money they spent living there refunded. Could they get their security deposit back? Probably. But the rent? Hell no. If they were living there and a tree fell down and their house slid into a ditch, then that'd be something. But nothing happened, and "The place could have burned up and killed us all, but it didn't" isn't being damaged. They lived there, paid the rent they said they'd pay, and then moved out when they realized how lovely it was.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Phanatic posted:

How were they damaged? They paid to live in a lovely place, they lived in the lovely place, they moved out of the lovely place. The fact that the lovely place was also an illegal place for them to be living doesn't mean they were damaged and are made whole by having all the money they spent living there refunded. Could they get their security deposit back? Probably. But the rent? Hell no. If they were living there and a tree fell down and their house slid into a ditch, then that'd be something. But nothing happened, and "The place could have burned up and killed us all, but it didn't" isn't being damaged. They lived there, paid the rent they said they'd pay, and then moved out when they realized how lovely it was.

Landlords have obligations that these landlords were not fulfilling.

It's the same as suing a company that makes exploding flammable fire extinguishers, even if you haven't used the fire extinguishers you bought from them.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?
I knew some folks that lived in the middle of nowhere. Electricity was provided by a wind turbine, solar panels, and a back-up generator, along with an enormous bank of lead-acid batteries for storage. All of their major appliances other than the washer, were powered by propane, including the refrigerator. I think it was also self-built out of hay bales. The kids room was up a super steep ladder to a loft that had no railings.

God I wish I had pictures.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

A guy I know's dad and friends built a totally off the grid "cabin" almost entirely on their own out in the woods, only getting some help with the electric and plumbing. It was the opposite quality for this thread though. Had a really nice solar/wind electric setup, correctly installed propane appliances, and every single wall was covered in amazingly built built-ins that could often somehow slide or open up to reveal little capsule-hotel like sleeping nooks or murphy beds or entire secret mini bedrooms. The whole site was along a lake that used to be the areas reservoir and they had a whole pump and filter system too for the plumbing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

It really is a throne!

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Oh god, cleaning all of that grout when someone misses.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It'll blend in.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

kid sinister posted:

It really is a throne!

Looks like you could secure a motor vehicle to it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tunicate posted:

Landlords have obligations that these landlords were not fulfilling.

It's the same as suing a company that makes exploding flammable fire extinguishers, even if you haven't used the fire extinguishers you bought from them.

In that case, you bought a fire extinguisher and got something useless in exchange. If something caught fire and burned down because you couldn't put it out with the extinguisher, you could sue for damages. If the fire extinguisher exploded and hurt you, you could sue for damages. If you found out it was useless and wanted the working fire extinguisher you paid for but didn't get, you could sue for damages.

If you just kept the fire extinguisher under your kitchen sink for years until the company did a recall and sent you a new working fire extinguisher, there are no damages to recover. "Thought I had a working fire extinguisher but didn't, and absolutely nothing bad happened" is not an injury.

The failure of the landlord to meet his legal obligations did not result in any injury to those people. If he's a dick and doesn't give their security deposit back, they can sue and probably get it. If they were somehow injured as a result of his not meeting his legal obligations (like if the deck collapsed while they were standing on it, or someone suffered CO poisoning and was hospitalized), they could definitely sue for damages.

But "paid to live in a place, did live in that place, nothing bad happened to them, then they moved out" isn't something you can recover damages for.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

duz posted:

When I was in a waiting room recently, there was a tv show about professionally built tree houses. I was wondering how many would end up being rented out illegally.

"Tree House Masters" is the show, my wife loves it; and

Nah. The majority of the tree houses featured on that show cost $100K+ and are situated on the private property of wealthy people. They're status objects, just the same as a mcmansion. Occasionally someone would rent one as like an AirBnB or something, but for the most part they're either upscale romantic fuckrooms for rich people, or they're absurdly expensive playrooms for rich people's kids.

The guy who does them is actually super fun, though, his enthusiasm is infectious and he's such a happy-go-lucky, warm guy, you can't hate him. His work is pretty beautiful, too.

e. I'm sure the 10x as many tree houses his company builds that aren't televised are more likely to be rentals, though. The $30k ones that are boring and ordinary that they undoubtedly churn out on the regular but aren't worthy of a half-hour show.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Phanatic posted:

But "paid to live in a place, did live in that place, nothing bad happened to them, then they moved out" isn't something you can recover damages for.

http://greensteinmcdonald.com/frequently-asked-questions/illegal-units/

There are special laws specifically for illegal units in many jurisdictions which explicitly include recovery of rent.

Essentially, the lease was an illegal contract, and that means the tenant was damaged because he was ostensibly paying for a legal unit, but what he got instead was an illegal unit. When you pay for something and don't get what you paid for, that is a legal basis for recovering what you paid.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

kid sinister posted:

It really is a throne!

I won't lie, I'd poo poo my brains out in that toilet. While dressed as a pimp. Get some hoes to wipe my rear end. Just needs a cup holder for my jewel encrusted pimp chalice.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
That's Portland for you.

I definitely put up with some horrible poo poo to maintain $500/month rent. Some day, maybe I'll stop having nightmares about the smell of dog blood!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

kid sinister posted:

It really is a throne!

It looks like a giant rear end to me.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

hailthefish posted:

Well now that's all I can see.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

hailthefish posted:

Just swap out those lion heads for some bright red 8" spike heel shoes and the image is complete.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Wait a minute. How do you flush that thing?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Why would you want to flush when you poo poo solid gold?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Something that fancy probably has motion sensors or a servant.