Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

KPC_Mammon posted:

What kind of glue should I use for split cardboard? One of my bandit archers lost the top printed layer.

I am using a craft spray adhesive for all my poo poo that splits.

...I've had a lot of things split.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Played a test game with my wife. Spellweaver and Cragheart. In the end we left 2/3 of the loot coins on the floor and barely managed to loot the chest. Is that typical? It felt wrong to my oldschool loot anything not nailed down gaming sensibilities. (It's not nailed down if you can pry it up or take the hinges off or hire someone to cart it away).

We were playing where you picked up any loot you ended your turn on and loot x cards took effect at the end of your turn.

two_step
Sep 2, 2011

LLSix posted:

Played a test game with my wife. Spellweaver and Cragheart. In the end we left 2/3 of the loot coins on the floor and barely managed to loot the chest. Is that typical? It felt wrong to my oldschool loot anything not nailed down gaming sensibilities. (It's not nailed down if you can pry it up or take the hinges off or hire someone to cart it away).

We were playing where you picked up any loot you ended your turn on and loot x cards took effect at the end of your turn.

Loot X takes effect right when you play the card (just like move or attack). That means you can sometimes play a loot then do a move on your other card and move over yet more loot.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
It's pretty rare that we end up getting all of the coins (with an exception when a certain class is present...) and if we do we normally take it as an indication that we need to bump up the difficulty.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

LLSix posted:

Played a test game with my wife. Spellweaver and Cragheart. In the end we left 2/3 of the loot coins on the floor and barely managed to loot the chest. Is that typical?

Yeah. Chests are usually in rough places to get to, and in the middle of a map you'll often have to make a deliberate choice between harvesting gold and progressing with your objective.

One thing to note is that the game ends at the end of the round in which you fulfill your objective, so if you do that early in the round, slower characters have some leeway to just bolt for gold.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

misguided rage posted:

It's pretty rare that we end up getting all of the coins (with an exception when a certain class is present...) and if we do we normally take it as an indication that we need to bump up the difficulty.

Pretty much our approach. If we can loot everything then we're playing on too easy of a difficulty setting. That said, if you want to loot everything and don't care as much about the challenge...then do it big, both are legit.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

KPC_Mammon posted:

What kind of glue should I use for split cardboard? One of my bandit archers lost the top printed layer.

CA glue should work fine, but you should be able to request a replacement board - a lot of people have had one of the boards just have a completely loose printed layer on one side, us included.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

LLSix posted:

Funny, this was our experience today too, down to the T. I was Cragheart and found it awkward that the loot action you have is on the move bit of the card. My last action was a jump that damages adjacent enemies, killing the last guard that was somehow still alive from the previous room, activating my +2 move boots and jumping all the way to the treasure chest. No way I'll leave that unclaimed, even if the reward was a little disappointing. The SW was down to her last set of actions too, I think.

What was the houserule someone mentioned, where you can turn leftover cards into looting coins, because theoretically you could have min-maxed these actions?

I found the first turns to be agonizing when you don't have a good handle on cards yet, don't know what your good combos are and how to make things die fast. And then you have to watch friendly fire as a Cragheart because enemies focus on the fast acting Spellweaver and you move last and suddenly after the first turn the Spellweaver was already almost dead and I didn't dare use my boulder toss anymore.

Good game.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Feb 21, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Found out recently that my campus has a 3D printer studio that you can use for relatively cheap. I ordered four player dashboards (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2773751) to be printed. It'll cost me about $25. Then I'm going to build bases for them out of wood and foam board. Our coffee table isn't huge (and we don't have a large kitchen table or gaming table) so this should free up a great deal of space.

I'll post updates when they're completed. Should be next week.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So two things about the Cragheart. First, you should be in front of the Spellweaver, which will let you pull aggro away, since the monsters go for the closest target before focusing on initiative. Second, unless the Spellweaver is literally surrounded, there should often be a target you can throw your Boulder at such that the Spellweaver isn't splashed.

Also, tell your Spellweaver not to jump into the middle of the group of monsters and they should be fine.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

Found out recently that my campus has a 3D printer studio that you can use for relatively cheap. I ordered four player dashboards (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2773751) to be printed. It'll cost me about $25. Then I'm going to build bases for them out of wood and foam board. Our coffee table isn't huge (and we don't have a large kitchen table or gaming table) so this should free up a great deal of space.

I'll post updates when they're completed. Should be next week.

This is pretty cool and I might look into this, if I can find a 3D printer for cheap in my area.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Some Numbers posted:

This is pretty cool and I might look into this, if I can find a 3D printer for cheap in my area.

Yeah. My problem with the original design is just that while it is saving some space, it doesn’t save enough. Hence my improvement ideas.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

My issue with the design, which was echoed by one of my compatriots, is that the cards are at an angle.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Oenis posted:

Funny, this was our experience today too, down to the T. I was Cragheart and found it awkward that the loot action you have is on the move bit of the card. My last action was a jump that damages adjacent enemies, killing the last guard that was somehow still alive from the previous room, activating my +2 move boots and jumping all the way to the treasure chest.
Good game.

Just a note, the boots add to a movement card they don't move you on their own.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I haven't had any components split but a lot of them popped out of the boards really uncleanly and I had to take some scissors to clean the edges. The real problem for me has been the stand holders - some of them are really tight and love to chew up the bottom of pieces.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
I must have gotten lucky; only problem I've had so far is the die cut for the sticker sheets went all the way through. Getting the stickers off the backing is hard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Stelas posted:

I haven't had any components split but a lot of them popped out of the boards really uncleanly and I had to take some scissors to clean the edges. The real problem for me has been the stand holders - some of them are really tight and love to chew up the bottom of pieces.

Yeah that's a small part of why I got 3D printed standee bases

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I got the 3D printed stands because after three sessions of trying to keep track of HP on the monster cards, I'd had enough.

Putting the HP numbers on the actual monsters is sooooo much nicer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you get exhausted in a scenario, you keep all experience and gold you got, but - what about treasure chests?

My wife and I have been playing with just the two of us and we unlocked 66. This scenario looks like a total fucker. It involves a lot of pressure plates to open doors. Looks like it is going to be very difficult with just two people. But, we want to get the treasure chests. We figure we'll probably end up exhausted once or twice while playing the scenario, so we're wondering if we'll keep the treasure should we collect it and end up exhausted.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mordiceius posted:

If you get exhausted in a scenario, you keep all experience and gold you got, but - what about treasure chests?
You should be resolving chests immediately, and you get to keep the contents.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

You should be resolving chests immediately, and you get to keep the contents.

Ah. Dope.

Still intimidated by scenario 66

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

LLSix posted:

In general you'll be leaving a fair amount of coins at the end of the scenario.
Certain classes are better at looting though, having loot actions on the top of the card, or in the scoundrel, built-in in one of their move actions.
The Cragheart and Spellweaver in particular aren't great at looting, though their exp gain is better than certain other classes.

Mordiceius posted:

You basically keep everything (gold, exp, treasure chests, personal quest progress, etc...) except the usual end of scenario reward and scenario specific rewards.
It wasn't uncommon for my group to just beeline it to treasure chests/coins whenever we noticed we probably weren't going to beat a scenario.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

MikeCrotch posted:

Eclipse spoilers: The first class I rushed to retire because they were so overpowered as to make the game boring. Once you achieve level 6 and get access to both a normal non-loss enemy kill card and an elite non-loss enemy kill card, the game just becomes a matter of drinking potions in order to murder things the second they get into range. Played scenario 82 and got attacked twice in the entire scenario.

Maybe with more players it's different but with 2 players Nightshroud is just completely absurd.

It gets better / worse; at L7 or L8 you get a non loss move 6 jump. No need to wait for them to get into range anymore.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

BioTech posted:

It gets better / worse; at L7 or L8 you get a non loss move 6 jump. No need to wait for them to get into range anymore.
We were playing triple spears/eclipse and we were clearing scenarios on level 7, which was +3 difficulty at the time, without breaking even the slightest sweat. It was fun for a brief time but I'm glad we both retired.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Welp, as a brute/spellweaver, we got wrecked in scenario 2.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!

Mordiceius posted:

That scenario can be tough depending on the boss specials. Try to nuke the boss asap with your strongest abilities when possible. And if you're not level 2 yet, don't feel bad about reducing the scenario difficulty to level 0.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Mordiceius posted:

In my three person group (Mindthief, Cragheart, Spellweaver) last week we won it by the skin of our teeth through a mixture of good fortune and very coordinated blocking/terrain manipulation from the Cragheart. It did lead to this impassioned exchange between my co-players at the end:

"HE'S STUCK ON HIS OWN SKELETONS"

"BEAT HIM INTO THE DIRT"

"WHERE'S YOUR ZOMBIE DOOR NOW rear end in a top hat"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Our group finally got to continue Scenario 1 last night after having it on pause for 2 weeks!

Aaaaaaaaand we party wiped!

Basically I'm an idiot and wasn't paying attention to the fact that loss cards are the most dangerous thing towards getting exhausted and burned tons of them in our first session where we only managed to get through the first room. After reading the rules I just did not put 2 and 2 together to figure out that your hand is your stamina and loss cards are lost forever. For some reason I thought you could get them back. Probably because the Spellweaver in our party has a card that can. It also didn't help that our first road event caused us to start the scenario with 2 damage on each character and each character muddled so I basically panicked. I didn't make it too far into the 2nd room. Anyway, lesson learned.

Next, our Spellweaver got wrecked in the 2nd room because he tried to maximize the value of the card that gets all the loss cards back by waiting to play everything before using it. I don't blame him since I went down way earlier than expected and the others had to do the 3rd room with only 3 characters. He also tried to hide behind a summoned decoy in order to advance on the retreating archers. The archers ended up killing the decoy and then shooting at him... while his last 2 cards were down in front of him. They got +1 attack cards and took him down. Womp womp womp.

The other 2 players basically gave up after that. They looked at the Living Bones stats and the 3rd room layout and said "lolnope".

So anyway, we declared the whole experience a tutorial (which it was because we did a ton of things wrong rules-wise and strategy-wise and learned a lot) and restarted the whole campaign. We decided to stick with our characters and the same items but just do a new city and road event. We also decided to try to incorporate X cards into our starting hands but we'll be doing that next session since everyone was tired (and drunk).

Bottom line: I've never had so much fun during a party wipe. We learned so much and will definitely do a lot better on our runback. This game is seriously awesome and we're all extremely hype to see what the rest of the game has to offer.

I'm not even bummed that I missed out on a checkmark if the others would have completed the scenario.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Feb 22, 2018

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!
Our team played through Scenario 9.

Is it just me, or is this scenario easy? Or is this just what happens when I decide I'm not tanking this fight?

Our Tinkerer got mauled in the first room, but we ended up having like 8 extra turns after clearing everything except the chest. It does help that the Mindthief bitchslapped the boss into the corner with all the loot and he nor the scouts didn't draw any moves for a while, so he was attempting to summon when there was no space. Did we just get super lucky?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
My group did the burning mountain scenario recently and it was hilarious.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
How do you avoid analysis paralysis on a CH? I feel overwhelmed in the first 2 turns because all the cards do different things and I might need them still in the upcoming turns. I probably want to setup backup ammunition ASAP, because last time I didn't get around to it before the scenario was almost over, but then how do I fend off the enemies in the first room? Anyone have any good, safe opening card combinations for the first turns? Combos you can pretty likely just throw down and chain into each other with the element generation and consumption?

Some Numbers posted:

So two things about the Cragheart. First, you should be in front of the Spellweaver, which will let you pull aggro away, since the monsters go for the closest target before focusing on initiative. Second, unless the Spellweaver is literally surrounded, there should often be a target you can throw your Boulder at such that the Spellweaver isn't splashed.

Also, tell your Spellweaver not to jump into the middle of the group of monsters and they should be fine.

I know that I should be in front, but on that first turn of the scenario the SW stormed ahead on initiative 07 or something to toast the first bandits with some fireballs, and the bandits all acted before me, piling onto (and surrounding, so no targets not adjacent to) the SW. I find it hard to deal with the usually slow initiative of the CH, and anticipating how the board will probably look like when my turn comes around, yet keeping your options flexible is difficult. Do you develop a feel for that later on?

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 22, 2018

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

Oenis posted:

How do you avoid analysis paralysis on a CH? I feel overwhelmed in the first 2 turns because all the cards do different things and I might need them still. I probably want to setup backup ammunition ASAP, because last time I didn't get around to it before the scenario was almost over, but then how do I fend off the enemies in the first room? Anyone have any good, safe opening card combinations for the first turns?

I think I used rumbling advance on the first turn about 90% of the time. What you pair it with depends on how the first room is looking; the very first scenario, where there are all melee opponents and you should have a turn free before they reach you? Maybe you can afford to put down backup ammunition, and use an earth-empowered attack next turn to keep them off you. Are there a few nasty ranged enemies in the back who are gonna chew through your hp in short order? It's probably a better idea to throw a rock at them and try to burn them down before they get a chance to do too much damage. You can take the time to set up your ammunition as you're moving to the next room.

quote:

I know that I should be in front, but on that first turn of the scenario the SW stormed ahead on initiative 07 or something to toast the first bandits with some fireballs, and the bandits all acted before me, piling onto (and surrounding, so no targets not adjacent to) the SW. I find it hard to deal with the usually slow initiative of the CH, and anticipating how the board will probably look like when my turn comes around, yet keeping your options flexible is difficult. Do you develop a feel for that later on?
That's entirely your spellweaver's fault, nothing you can do about it. You'll figure out the tempo of the game as you play it more, and it's usually preferable to go faster than the enemy so that you can finish them off before they even get a turn, but in that situation it's better to go slow and let them advance on you. Heck, I've had many turns where we've flipped cards, seen what the enemy is gonna do, and when it's clear that doing my planned turn would result in me getting punched a few times I would end up doing something, anything else. Up to and including sitting there doing nothing, completely wasting the turn.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Oenis posted:

Do you develop a feel for that later on?

Absolutely. All of the classes will get easier with practice. Cragheart plays very differently from most RPG tropes, so it takes a little bit longer to get a grasp on how to play them.

Spellweaver moving in front of you and getting ganked isn't on you though, they hosed that up. There is no reason to go fast round one with a spellweaver unless you are playing crowd control cards or you are sure to kill something, which isn't happening at level 1.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oenis posted:

I know that I should be in front

Not strictly true, depending on group. Cragheart's cards swing around melee and ranged, and I think you're likely to build in one direction or another. Our CH tends to hang back and huck rocks at things until he's more sure about committing to a big attack, but that's partially because we've got a Brute and a Scoundrel to hold the front line. If you've got a Spellweaver then yeah you're the guy who needs to take hits, but there's nothing to stop both of you focusing on range. (Also, your first perk should probably be the 'no negatives from items' just so you can get yourself some armor.)

Note that if your group is constantly going ahead of you even in situations where they ideally shouldn't, you should bring that up! You're not allowed to name specific numbers but you can absolutely go 'hey guys I've got a big play coming up, can you go slow this turn'

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

MacheteZombie posted:

My group did the burning mountain scenario recently and it was hilarious.

I loved that scenario.

I kept telling my GF that even though it wasn't explicitly stated, that this was a moral choice and she finally relented and sacrificed one of the items.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, my group was Tinkerer/Spellweaver/Cragheart until I retired, so I was definitely the "tank," but that just meant that I would charge in and the Tinkerer would heal me. I still got good use out of my Ranged attacks.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big McHuge posted:

I loved that scenario.

I kept telling my GF that even though it wasn't explicitly stated, that this was a moral choice and she finally relented and sacrificed one of the items.

We all glossed over the context clue in the story text, of putting an item back. So we kept both and blew up the mountain by mistake

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

Yeah, my group was Tinkerer/Spellweaver/Cragheart until I retired, so I was definitely the "tank," but that just meant that I would charge in and the Tinkerer would heal me. I still got good use out of my Ranged attacks.

I imagine a CH/Spellweaver would probably have fun screwing around with an obstacle ranged build. You're not allowed to block a map off entirely but you could definitely turn the game into a twisty maze / tower defence.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Stelas posted:

I imagine a CH/Spellweaver would probably have fun screwing around with an obstacle ranged build. You're not allowed to block a map off entirely but you could definitely turn the game into a twisty maze / tower defence.

That's how I beat Scenario 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?
Mission 71 kicked our asses (brute 2/spellweaver 3). Though the spellweaver made a lot of progress on his personal quest because he exhausted a lot.