Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Maybe Crossbows can be truly fixed damage, by bypassing defense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

making luna into a weapon type sounds scary as hell

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The true value of crossbows in 10 was in taking Nolan to 4-5 with an inventory full of them, Beastfoe and Dragonfoe equipped, and an A with Zihark and watching him destroy the map with an effective 72-114 attack against everything but Izuka. Maybe not the most practical niche for a weapon type, but goddamn was it a fun one.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

making luna into a weapon type sounds scary as hell
Luna would be less scary if you couldn't apply Magic to it

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Well for MoD they have a few things going for them

1. They're the ONLY 1-2 weapon that can double. Javelin's and Short Spear equivalents can't double. And the Spear/Tomahawk can but they're 2-2 weapons
2. They give the archery classes access to 1-2 weaponry (The only other bow that sorta does this is Range 1 only... And then there's the Divine Bow which you don't get until 33x Which gives you little time to abuse its power)
3. They, of course, have the "gently caress your wings" clause all bows have, which ya know... is the best game they could be in for that, what with Bern and Ilia's flyer-spam even until the end-game. Even a lowly Bowgun can put in work with 2x damage at 1-2 range vs screaming lizards.

The main thing we have to worry about is stopping Wolt and Bartre from being too broken. Like... people suggesting that you lower there Mt to 0 and doing fixed damage? Well Wolt still has D&D Cleave/Attack Only Galeforce. So even using the Bowgun, the weakest of crossbows, doing a fixed 10 damage, then we go to flyers, so that's 20 damage straight up easily able to steal a kill with the weakest Crossbow in the game, and then follow up with an attack from any other bow he has. Then look at Bartre who comes with Life or Death, +5 to the Damage of any attack he initiates, so again, take the weakest Bowgun in the game, 30 Damage to Flyers, 15 damage guaranteed, And if he doubles that becomes 60/30

And if they're going to ignore their skills, then that'd entirely defeat the point of Bartre having his skill (It was entirely based around having the bonus on the Mt of Crossbows)

Then you gotta consider Lilina's "Power of Gold" ability to Aura-Buff of +4 so long as you have 40,000 Gold. Clarine's "Charisma?" That gives +2 to damage and a negligible drop to hit. Wade has Bloodthirst which raises his damage by 3 so long as his HP is higher than the enemy,

So you can, with Aura-stacking and skills get +6/+9/+11 damage on top of the LOWEST BOWGUN.

And that's disregarding slapping on a Skill Badge like Luna, Aether, etc. Which are Skill% So I don't count them (And you have to complete Supports for badges)

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Have you thought about dropping #3? Maybe crossbows don't hit fliers especially hard

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nihilarian posted:

Have you thought about dropping #3? Maybe crossbows don't hit fliers especially hard

They don't. Regular bows hit at x3.

EDIT: And all that number crunching doesn't consider the power of boosting supports. Even if the highest tier of Crossbow did only 10 fixed damage, let's analyze the Bartre

10+5 (Life or Death)+4 (Power of Gold)+2 (Charisma?)=21 +Fir's A support taking it to... +22.5, if we theorycraft Endgame that's 24 Damage hitting for each shot. If he doubles, that's 48 each shot. Against anyone and anything, the Final Boss? that's half her health. And it's not even asking for much investment since Bartre comes packing B or A in bows I have to look it up again. Sure, Igrene is only doing 10 damage, but Igrene has the Shining Bow and a Magic Stat, She doesn't care about Crossbows.

And that'd be a poor decision anyway, as it'd invalidate all other crossbows the player could gain access to basically, What is the humble Bowgun going to do if not 10? 5? And then scale it up a point to S? Why would you drop money on them in that case? There is a fine line of balance.

Like... to clarify, I'm not angry or like "HOW COULD YOU NOT KNOW THIS DUH?!" just explaining why the numbers don't line up.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 21, 2018

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

This sounds a lot more like "stacking half a dozen buffs is really powerful" and not "crossbows would be overpowered if they didn't have fixed might"

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

This sounds a lot more like "stacking half a dozen buffs is really powerful" and not "crossbows would be overpowered if they didn't have fixed might"

These can both be true statements. It's more that I have to consider corner cases like. "How OP can you make Bartre for how much effort?" Like take it all away and he's still doubling for X most likely, which I mean... In a way that's fine, Bartre's entire Niche is "Can Crossbow Well" but Like the Wolt thing, or the Idunn thing are all important considerations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Nihilarian posted:

Luna would be less scary if you couldn't apply Magic to it

how do you figure that. defense is usually higher than res as it is so ignoring that instead would be better and you're not losing any range with a crossbow

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
So I'm replaying FE12 and why was it necessary for cavaliers to have 9 movement

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

So I'm replaying FE12 and why was it necessary for cavaliers to have 9 movement

Because they did in FE1/3

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

About to do Elincia's Gambit with my deployed units being Heather, Neph, Calill, Lethe, and Leanne. Sounds like fun. I'm sure I could just turtle my way through the map even with these people and Allied units but where's the fun if you don't kill the boss, eh?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's sort of impressive how aggressively archers suck in this game

Normal infantry movement is 6, archers have 5. On top of being outclassed by hunters in every single base stat except defense

Like, if they weren't in separate class sets, literally every archer in the game would almost strictly improve by reclassing to hunter

I'm playing on lunatic though so I'm starved for ranged attacks and have to have an answer to insanely beefy dracoknights so I guess the jokes on me

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s cool though because snipers get really good promotion gains and horsemen get nearly nothing...but a horse, which is good enough by itself when even Hard mode enemies are beefy and hit hard so ranged combat not from mages is good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Plus snipers have base C bows so anyone can dip into it, pick up a killer bow, and do okay. It's just archers that are aggressively lovely, snipers are fine.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

It's sort of impressive how aggressively archers suck in this game

Normal infantry movement is 6, archers have 5. On top of being outclassed by hunters in every single base stat except defense

Like, if they weren't in separate class sets, literally every archer in the game would almost strictly improve by reclassing to hunter

I'm playing on lunatic though so I'm starved for ranged attacks and have to have an answer to insanely beefy dracoknights so I guess the jokes on me

Well Archers are fine since they are very tanky, but remember, back in FE1 (At least, forget if it's FE3 too) Hunters couldn't promote Also the stat cap was 20 and the Falchion made Marth immortal. In fact if you want to understand why some of your units are... kinda loving poo poo, it's because FE12 decided it was going to keep the same bases as the game it was based on, FE3. The problem with this concept is that in FE3 the stat cap was 20. So Sheema who comes with 17 defense in a game where the defense cap is 30... is pretty loving poo poo, but when the Cap is 20, then she's a tanky goddess. The weird thing is, they did update the enemies to take advantage of the new stat caps, but not the player units.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Yeah I've played FE1 and 3. I'm just mocking the slavish devotion to following design decisions that were made when they didn't know any better

And archers only have one more HP+def than hunters. They really, really suck and only the class split causes them to see any use

e: hunters could promote in FE3, it was just FE1 where they couldn't. Armors also couldn't promote in FE1, even though generals existed. They were just two unrelated classes.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I've played FE1 and 3. I'm just mocking the slavish devotion to following design decisions that were made when they didn't know any better

And archers only have one more HP+def than hunters. They really, really suck and only the class split causes them to see any use

e: hunters could promote in FE3, it was just FE1 where they couldn't. Armors also couldn't promote in FE1, even though generals existed. They were just two unrelated classes.

The weird part of FE12 is what they're willing to change and what they keep the same. That's always the strange part with FE remakes. I mean I'm guilty of the same, but the things I've left alone are things that I think were really good design Like the Desert. But even I changed stuff like Sophia not coming at level 1 and Cecilia able to move unrestricted on desert tiles with the Magic Triangle available.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Onmi posted:

Well Archers are fine since they are very tanky, but remember, back in FE1 (At least, forget if it's FE3 too) Hunters couldn't promote Also the stat cap was 20 and the Falchion made Marth immortal. In fact if you want to understand why some of your units are... kinda loving poo poo, it's because FE12 decided it was going to keep the same bases as the game it was based on, FE3. The problem with this concept is that in FE3 the stat cap was 20. So Sheema who comes with 17 defense in a game where the defense cap is 30... is pretty loving poo poo, but when the Cap is 20, then she's a tanky goddess. The weird thing is, they did update the enemies to take advantage of the new stat caps, but not the player units.

My absolute favorite part of this was the one kid mage (Yubello?) who starts with negative base magic and his 50% growth from FE3...even though Linde and Merric had 20% growths there compared to 40% in NM and Linde had 2 magic in FE3.

Either that how unit bases seem to mostly balanced around the old 20 cap, so everyone after Minerva is basically has terrible bases for their level relative to your starting crew.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The last time I went through FE12 lunatic it was just the Kris/Palla/Catria/Sirius show with special guest star anyone with a staff rank but Luke is turning out real well so I'm gonna try to make him work

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s cool though because snipers get really good promotion gains and horsemen get nearly nothing...but a horse, which is good enough by itself when even Hard mode enemies are beefy and hit hard so ranged combat not from mages is good.

Horseman has the best stat caps in the only game in the series where that is actually relevant, access to arguably the two best late game weapon types and 9 movement. They are incredibly good, just held back by the fact that all the best horseman candidates (Luke, Ryan, Rody and even Sirius all do well) are class set A, so your best options without mixed class sets are Draug and Ogma, who are useable but not fantastic.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

WrightOfWay posted:

Horseman has the best stat caps in the only game in the series where that is actually relevant, access to arguably the two best late game weapon types and 9 movement. They are incredibly good, just held back by the fact that all the best horseman candidates (Luke, Ryan, Rody and even Sirius all do well) are class set A, so your best options without mixed class sets are Draug and Ogma, who are useable but not fantastic.

Stat caps are also extremely relevant in FE10 and Fates.

Also FE5 but lol.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I just got Lyre, and considering I don't even have enough female units to fill all my deployment slots (and I don't think the GMs get any more?) I think I'm going to actually try to get some use out of her. I'll come back to you with how that went.

While we're talking about Laguz, Lethe sucks major rear end too, just not quite as much as Lyre. Her bases are absolutely pathetic compared to Ranulf, who seems to be the only competent cat laguz in the game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

I just got Lyre, and considering I don't even have enough female units to fill all my deployment slots (and I don't think the GMs get any more?) I think I'm going to actually try to get some use out of her. I'll come back to you with how that went.

While we're talking about Laguz, Lethe sucks major rear end too, just not quite as much as Lyre. Her bases are absolutely pathetic compared to Ranulf, who seems to be the only competent cat laguz in the game.

I mean I took Lyre to FINAL for $15

https://clips.twitch.tv/PopularPatientWatermelonHumbleLife
https://clips.twitch.tv/ResoluteTalentedBurritoWutFace
https://clips.twitch.tv/CallousBoldPidgeonSoonerLater

It wasn't that ba- Okay it was.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

How did you do this

Was it like an entire run dedicated to making Lyre good where she got all the stat boosters?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Amppelix posted:

How did you do this

Was it like an entire run dedicated to making Lyre good where she got all the stat boosters?

I did give her almost all the stat boosters, Blossom, and, hey, I'll use anyone I'm paid to use. Pay me to use Meg and give her Alondite? Done. Pay me to bring Nealuchi with no levels to Endgame? Sure, I'll dump BEXP into him and tear him Tear. Want me to kill Lekain with Reyson?

https://clips.twitch.tv/AmazingThirstyStingrayUWot

I was so disappointed when it turned out Mantle didn't just set your displayed damage to 0 and gave me false hope.

https://clips.twitch.tv/MuddyDarkPoultryTwitchRaid

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
the best strategy in chapter 3 involves trekking up the halfway point, luring half the dracoknights, then turning around, going back to the beginning, luring the other half, then going all the way back around to the end and I think I'm losing my mind

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

like thirty of those turns were just walking whyyyy

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

That map owns because it tests exactly how far out of your way you’re willing to go to recruit the worst character in the game

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
On the subject of New Mystery of the Emblem, I'm curious about something for when I play it soon - which difficulty is closest to the original FE3: Hard or Maniac?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The worst thing about that chapter is there's so many small changes that could make it halfway decent even if they were unwilling to change it too much from the original. Make Matthis not attack you. Make the dracoknights aggro like normal enemies instead of aggroing in weird, scattered groups. Hell, put a map save point at the halfway mark instead of three tiles from the loving boss

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

On the subject of New Mystery of the Emblem, I'm curious about something for when I play it soon - which difficulty is closest to the original FE3: Hard or Maniac?

normal, the original wasn't remotely hard

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty sure the dracoknight aggro is specifically a Maniac/Lunatic gently caress you at least, they aggro perfectly normally on Hard and I remember wondering how the gently caress their aggro is even supposed to work on Maniac.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The dracoknights are sorted into two groups basically at random. Each group has a predefined aggro range which is basically haphazard. In practice, the safe way to pull one group is on the left side of the map and the safe way to pull the other is at the starring area but if you do the sane thing and pull the starting area first some of them will split off and go for Palla

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Is there any reason to wait on using a master seal in FE Warriors?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Don't think so

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013

chumbler posted:

I mean, if you want to Seal one of the future warriors to use immediately and don't care at all about one of the current ones you could hold on to the seal intended for that warrior, but that's a sorta fringe case scenario.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

normal, the original wasn't remotely hard

So in terms of how strong enemies are relative to you, normal is actually the closest to the original game? I was mainly asking because of how much easier Shadow Dragon's normal mode was than the first game and Fire Emblem's propensity for making "normal" mode actually a kind of easy mode.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

chumbler posted:

Yeah, just if you want to save a seal for someone you haven't gotten yet. Promotion is just a straight stat increase, it doesn't reset your level or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Does anyone have any idea how enemies that are aggroed but can't attack anyone choose to move in FE12? I'm on chapter 5 and the draconknights keep chasing after Sirius on his thief killing mission up north instead of going after my squishies down south like I want them to

e: well I'm not sure what the general principle is but I found a positioning that got them to do what I want

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 24, 2018