Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

tbp posted:

goku and vegeta's ROF costumes/gear are the best they have ever looked

vegeta's is cool but goku's eye-searing orange is real bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFFru4q_4H8

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

The Bee posted:

Goku trains Caulifla. Gohan trains Kale. Vegeta trains Cabba.

Hit trains Tao Pai Pai :getin:

I actually really would have loved some kind of interaction between Gohan and Kale given their similar circumstances. Shy, timid, turns into a raging monster due to their natural inborn power? There could have been some fun scenes there.

Caros
May 14, 2008

It'd be nice to have Gohan do loving anything.

On an only vaguely related note, I ended up getting linked to this earlier in the week and thought it was kind of cool. Someone is doing a tongue in cheek writeup of Groundbreaking Science, the book Gohan wrote about Ki usage as a setup to explain Dragonball Online. A bit silly, but the author actually seems to have put a lot of thought into the 'mechanics' behind Dragonball in a way that is remarkably entertaining.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
All the deleted universes so far have taken their deletion in stride right? Except for Quitela and that one first universe's Kai freaking out right?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Calaveron posted:

All the deleted universes so far have taken their deletion in stride right? Except for Quitela and that one first universe's Kai freaking out right?
Pretty much. I mean the Universes are coming back, but they could pretend like this all has a huge, irreversible impact.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Blaze Dragon posted:

This is the best I can get from DB wiki.

So that's Goku's RoF gi with his own emblem and an undershirt right? And Vegeta's has the Capsule logo?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

BizarroAzrael posted:

So that's Goku's RoF gi with his own emblem and an undershirt right? And Vegeta's has the Capsule logo?

Goku also has the Capsule logo

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Pretty much. I mean the Universes are coming back, but they could pretend like this all has a huge, irreversible impact.

if they did that people would complain about why they're acting like that when they're just coming back anyway

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Yinlock posted:

if they did that people would complain about why they're acting like that when they're just coming back anyway
I mean by that logic none of the good guy deaths in the entire series should've tried to have any emotional impact since they all just came back anyway. Except 16, poor guy got screwed over.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean by that logic none of the good guy deaths in the entire series should've tried to have any emotional impact since they all just came back anyway. Except 16, poor guy got screwed over.

tbf they didn't really have any impact after namek since the dragonballs got upgraded, 16 aside

the whole reason chiaotzu and krillin dying were big deals was because they couldn't be revived, tien by comparison just got a "welp guess he's dead now"

i mean there's still tension because the villian is usually going to blow up the planet unless they're stopped immediately so people dying is still a big deal in that sense

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also no one gave a poo poo that Trunks died except for Vegeta and when he lost it they were all '... we have Dragonballs man'

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
The lack of meaning in death is a plot point for the whole Buu saga. So long as Dende is alive nothing matters and they know it, which is why they offer the enitre human race for Buu to slaughter while they train up Goten and Trunks.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Flytrap posted:

The lack of meaning in death is a plot point for the whole Buu saga. So long as Dende is alive nothing matters and they know it, which is why they offer the enitre human race for Buu to slaughter while they train up Goten and Trunks.

in that specific case i think they thought buu would just goof around like fat buu and not immediately kill all normies with an armageddon rain

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Piccolo very specifically felt horrible about suggesting it though, so that's not a great argument

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, Piccolo wanted him to gently caress off to do it or w/e. Fat Buu already tore thru like 80% of the population tho so even if Buu did leave the lookout to do it, he prob wouldn't have been gone long.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

also he blew up a chunk of the earth when fighting goku.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

esperterra posted:

Yeah, Piccolo wanted him to gently caress off to do it or w/e. Fat Buu already tore thru like 80% of the population tho so even if Buu did leave the lookout to do it, he prob wouldn't have been gone long.

i like how the biggest danger in that part of the arc was buu's childishness which was previously kinda endearing and was now terrifying

he's both ruthlessly genocidal and gets bored insanely quickly and it's a big problem

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Fat Buu is like a gag character gone horribly wrong. He's scarier than his other forms imo, just because of how unassuming he seems.

Like when he cures that blind kid's sight and then goes off to get him some milk and brings back a carton he made out of some old dude. Spoopy.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

esperterra posted:

Fat Buu is like a gag character gone horribly wrong. He's scarier than his other forms imo, just because of how unassuming he seems.

Like when he cures that blind kid's sight and then goes off to get him some milk and brings back a carton he made out of some old dude. Spoopy.

fat buu at least had the excuse that he wasn't really purposefully malicious though, like he would do non-destructive things sometimes

evil buu has no chill

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

True. Evil Buu is upfront about it at least. Fat Buu pre-Mr. Satan was just such a wildcard.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Fat Buu (Pre-Mr. Satan) was one of the best villains out there. He was so insanely powerful, yet erratic as all gently caress.

Things were ruined once he became purely evil.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

punk rebel ecks posted:

Fat Buu (Pre-Mr. Satan) was one of the best villains out there. He was so insanely powerful, yet erratic as all gently caress.

Things were ruined once he became purely evil.

eh I think evil buu kinda worked early on when he was wild and impatient which made reasoning with him or predicting his actions impossible since he was erratic as hell

it's Super Buu that was lame

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I always forget Evil Buu even exists until someone else brings him up. He lasted like, one full episode, right?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Nah he's around for a while. Has some gimmicky long rear end fight with Gotenks and later fights Gohan.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

esperterra posted:

Nah he's around for a while. Has some gimmicky long rear end fight with Gotenks and later fights Gohan.

thats super buu baka

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Stairmaster posted:

thats super buu baka

Oh durr. When someone described Evil Buu as wildly erratic and impatient (which is how Super acts) I confused the two. Yeah Evil Buu (sickly lookin one?) is only around for about an episode.

e: too many buus!!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Fat Buu was Kafkaesque as hell.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Was super buu the generic buff one?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

drilldo squirt posted:

Yep.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

drilldo squirt posted:

Depends on how buff you mean. The DB usual build one was Super Buu, yes. The REALLY BUFF one was just Kid Buu (some Kaioshin or other absorbed).

The latter lasted for very little since he only appears during a flashback and then for a moment as Super Buu reverts back to his Pure form.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Early Super Buu, until about when he destroys the lookout, has a great serial killer vibe to him that just gets lost in a really bad Perfect Cell imitation after absorbing Gotenks, Piccolo, and Gohan.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Early Super Buu, until about when he destroys the lookout, has a great serial killer vibe to him that just gets lost in a really bad Perfect Cell imitation after absorbing Gotenks, Piccolo, and Gohan.

I don't entirely mind how childish and petty he is when he's facing off with Vegito (whereas Cell was just petty), but yeah

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I've been digging Super Buu a lot up to his fight with Gohan on my rewatch. I do remember him getting bland as hell tho.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

what do we call this buu though

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

Piccolo very specifically felt horrible about suggesting it though, so that's not a great argument

esperterra posted:

Well yeah but the point is they were consciously aware it was an option. Once your series has reached that point is there any real point in writing death as anything all that major? After a certain point as a writer (or writers in this case) you just kinda gotta shrug and accept that you're not gonna milk any tension out of it since you've already acclimated your audience to not giving a gently caress.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Kelp Plankton posted:

Super Mr.Buu

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Buuff

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Flytrap posted:

Well yeah but the point is they were consciously aware it was an option. Once your series has reached that point is there any real point in writing death as anything all that major? After a certain point as a writer (or writers in this case) you just kinda gotta shrug and accept that you're not gonna milk any tension out of it since you've already acclimated your audience to not giving a gently caress.

Basically everyone but Bulma seems to be super casual about it. Even her parents opt to stay with the pets rather than go to the lookout, because 'well y'all can wish us back later anyway!'.

Piccolo feels terrible offering Buu the rest of humanity to buy time, but he doesn't hesitate to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Voting for this one.