Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RME posted:

FE7 is very well rounded, easy to get into, and has some of the better replayability if they ever decide to return to it if they end up exploring other games

awakening would also be a good entry point because, well, it was honestly a lot of people's entry point and it's fairly low stress with options to turn off permadeath and the option to grind if you feel uncomfortable with your units levels (though i can't exactly recommend or even say its pleasant, but some people are definitely comforted by the option even if they never use it) and has a bunch of interface improvements from being newer too

Also infinite supports and because of the child mechanic everyone gained points quickly.
I really like that kind of stuff so it was nice being able to see more of the cast interact with each other without having to worry about waiting out a bunch of turns on the map just sitting next to each other or how they'd be limited to 5 supports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
See, people say 7, but this is the result of a friend of mine who's never played Fire Emblem, is currently on Cog of Destiny and who is playing 7

When I asked why Oswin wasn't promoted she simply went "You can get his promotion item this early?"

so to be quite honest? Awakening is probably a better starting point, or FE8, because it's easier.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I mean, you can totally clear the game with that party. Really, that just shows the resilience of FE7, it's really hard to get yourself into an unwinnable situation.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Onmi posted:

See, people say 7, but this is the result of a friend of mine who's never played Fire Emblem, is currently on Cog of Destiny and who is playing 7

When I asked why Oswin wasn't promoted she simply went "You can get his promotion item this early?"

so to be quite honest? Awakening is probably a better starting point, or FE8, because it's easier.

That party is rad as gently caress, play 7 all the way.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Onmi posted:

pent? marcus? she'll be fine.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

well people say stuff like that, but it's a catch 22 where yeah you can beat the game with a party like that, if you're good enough at fire emblem to not end up with a party like that to begin with.

7 is still the best rec though.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Endorph posted:

pent? marcus? she'll be fine.

WrightOfWay posted:

I mean, you can totally clear the game with that party. Really, that just shows the resilience of FE7, it's really hard to get yourself into an unwinnable situation.

The Shortest Path posted:

That party is rad as gently caress, play 7 all the way.

Actually, she's giving up and starting over.

ALSO, it's less she "Got everyone killed" and more "Didn't see a need to recruit anyone while getting most of the recruits killed"

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 2, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think when I beat FE7 as a dumb kid my actually usable party wasn't much better than that, though I had most units still alive

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah. I missed out on some people (like Raven) but managed to drag my party to the endgame despite... questionable advice from a friend (just use Lords to guard the tent every chapter, they're a waste of EXP since they never promote! Healers are useless! People double based on gaining experience with weapon types so people from Lyn's story are stuck only being able to double with Iron tier weapons???)

Never could beat the Fire Dragon though. He just murdered all my dudes except Athos and I don't think I ever got past round 2 :(

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Athos with Luna and Elixir can solo the Dragon barring unlucky crits.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I reset on the dragon my first time and:

luna? a) i didn't have it, b) probably didnt understand what it did

elixers? this requires grasping the strategy of only attacking on the enemy phase. athos can't survive two hits? he can't win, to 10 year old me

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Pureauthor posted:

Athos with Luna and Elixir can solo the Dragon barring unlucky crits.

I had neither of those things. I sold all my dark magic tomes since I never recruited Canas and thought they were just meant to be sold. And I used all my consumables because I thought healers were a waste of a party slot.

Also it was my first SRPG and I was a child who didn't understand anything like attack speed etc.

A lot of that poo poo was hella opaque without the internet communities we take for granted today.

Also a final boss thats just a raw stat check that spews 37 unresistable damage and has a weirdly high attack speed is loving garbage.

Zore fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Mar 2, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I figured out what the floating x2 meant in the combat preview in literally the final chapter

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the game gives you renault and you can buy recover staves in battle preparations, and eliwood has a horse and hector can take renault from eliwood. athos stands in front of dragon with forblaze, renault heals him tehn gets taken out of range by eliwood + hector, repeat every turn until dragon dies.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

the game gives you renault and you can buy recover staves in battle preparations, and eliwood has a horse and hector can take renault from eliwood. athos stands in front of dragon with forblaze, renault heals him tehn gets taken out of range by eliwood + hector, repeat every turn until dragon dies.

you need to make it to renault by a certain turn to recruit him.

also the argument is not that there is a true fail state in 7. it is that if you are bad enough at the game to be in real bad shape, you are unlikely to be good enough to think of the strategies that can win under those conditions

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Endorph posted:

Yes, I recognize as an adult there are ways to beat the chapter. I even got this strategy you outlined most of the way there as a kid after bashing my head against it for a while.

I think one of the other enemies ended up getting a crit on really lovely Hector (I think I gained 5 levels with him total) and game overed me on my last attempt tho :( then I just put the game down out of frustration.

I did beat it a few years back after I played 8/9/10 to death and actually like got supports and used healers and stuff. It was way more fun. Canas wrecked the Dragon for me :)

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 2, 2018

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

you need to make it to renault by a certain turn to recruit him.

also the argument is not that there is a true fail state in 7. it is that if you are bad enough at the game to be in real bad shape, you are unlikely to be good enough to think of the strategies that can win under those conditions

you know thats a fair point im not even sure if i realized what rescuing did until i played fe6 and it became a lot more mandatory

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

you know thats a fair point im not even sure if i realized what rescuing did until i played fe6 and it became a lot more mandatory

If you watched iateyourpie's FE6 playthrough you would be loving horrified by his flagrant misuse of Rescue and... generally his intense poor playing skills. It's like being stuck in the backseat behind someone who can't drive, and who just hit a goat, and despite that you're being told you can't even offer pointers.

Surprisingly, his chicken-poo poo playstyle and failure to understand the player/enemy phase meant that NO ONE got Rutger'd as he was too frightened to advance that far and do anything. But his chicken-poo poo playstyle also meant when Clarine rolled around and no one could recruit her, he just rescued her for 2 turns, not letting her recruit herself and getting Wade killed to not-rutger in the ensuing chaos of trying to retreat from Rutty.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

pie's fe streams became more unwatchable the more of them he played, somehow. By 6 he was literally throne abusing so lol. I genuinely like his stream content but at some point id rather just watch his unit death montage.

Cake Attack posted:

it is that if you are bad enough at the game to be in real bad shape, you are unlikely to be good enough to think of the strategies that can win under those conditions

this is definitely a good point that tends to get glossed over. A lot of the time if you get that far in the whole you had plenty of preventable deaths but just didnt know the tools to do anything about it. Even something like rescue tends to take some experimentation to really hammer out some different uses for it, and it's not unlikely someone never touches it because they never use it in the first few maps and dont get why you only get the option sometimes. 7 is still pretty commendable for how well it avoids failure states but you do kind of need to step up when it gives you outs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I don't watch any stream/youtube video where I'm better than the streamer at that game, it saves me a lot of frustration

The only FE stuff I've watched and enjoyed is dondon151's excellent commentated 0% growths videos

RME
Feb 20, 2012

his insight is great but he really needs to stop telling jokes ever, it's okay to just be dry sometimes

anyhow being better than streamers doesnt bother me but theres nothing invigorating about watching throne abuse as it turns out

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

Are you sure the thief was capable of hitting Marth in that formation? You may have stumbled into the same technique in reverse. Off the top of my head, a formation where you put Marth at the edge of Katarina's range, then block off the corridor with three units with at least 1 res (i.e., more res than Marth) should work. Katarina will move first and target Marth because she does the most damage to him. Then the thief can't hit Marth so he has to settle for someone else.

Basically the way to think of it is this. Unless there is a kill on the board right now, the enemy moves in a set order, and uses a greedy algorithm. You can exploit this by placing your lowest-def unit in a spot only the first enemy can attack, but not the second enemy.

Alright. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the help; I think learning to pay attention to the AI attack order is going to help me out a lot.

I enjoyed Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn a lot but New Mystery is really refreshing for both its relative simplicity and high level of challenge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Caeda, who I haven't deployed in 9 chapters and wasn't using heavily even then, promoted at level 13 and reclassed to general compares favorably to the new recruits I'm getting now

why is every unit who joins in the second half of FE12 so incredibly garbage

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Caeda, who I haven't deployed in 9 chapters and wasn't using heavily even then, promoted at level 13 and reclassed to general compares favorably to the new recruits I'm getting now

why is every unit who joins in the second half of FE12 so incredibly garbage

You already know the answer to this.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Onmi posted:

You already know the answer to this.

A bunch of them are new to the remake! There wasn't any precedent for their stats!

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

cheetah7071 posted:

A bunch of them are new to the remake! There wasn't any precedent for their stats!

You can't have the new characters overshadow the old. :pseudo:

Somebody needs to just I dunno, make a hack that adjusts the recruits stats to match the new caps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
For people who haven't played FE12 and don't know just how dire is it, you get Caeda in chapter 5. In lunatic she's kinda bad against most enemies but her wing spear has the same effectiveness as a rapier but higher might, so if you forge it up a bit she can be your best unit against cavaliers and knights, who aren't super common but tend to be annoying. I forged +3 might onto it, enough to OHKO cavaliers, and then over the next three chapters proceeded to use her against enemies she was effective against and basically nothing else. Then you enter first mage land and then dragon land so I ditched her because her strength is real bad so she's basically useless without the wing spear (in retrospect I should have promoted her and used the promotion bonuses as a band-aid on her strength but at the time I wasn't sure how many promotion items I was going to get in a timely manner). In chapter 15 you're back in a map with enemies the wing spear is good against, so after not deploying her since chapter 8 and using her fairly lightly in 5-7, I promoted her and made her a general. Dolph, also pictured here, is a general that joins in that same chapter, and wasn't in the original so he has absolutely no precedent for what his stats should be. Most enemies in this map have 20 speed, for reference.

WHY

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Shout out to my poor bud Roshea who got buffed but not nearly enough to deal with, well, anything. He's been bad in all 4 games he's been in.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

RME posted:

his insight is great but he really needs to stop telling jokes ever, it's okay to just be dry sometimes

anyhow being better than streamers doesnt bother me but theres nothing invigorating about watching throne abuse as it turns out

he quit after his laptop got stolen and like hell he has time to juggle playing FE for the internet with med school residency nowadays so :rip: to that

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Mar 2, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

What all do you miss out on if you choose to skip FE7's tutorial?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the ability to level it's characters up by yourself instead of having them join at defaults (including stat boosters), iirc Lyn gets a gem based on your rating

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Lyn and Florina being usable instead of trash, and Kent and Sain being good instead of just okay

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

And plot!!

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Also there's at least one gaiden chapter in Hector mode gated behind a requirement you need to do Lyn's mode to complete.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the fact that 19xx is an actual thing with those conditions is some real "mew is under the truck near the ss anne" poo poo

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

At some point I think I'll be the only person patient enough to go through FE7 (E and J) and document every line of text in the game. But figuring out a cheat/way to make the game mindlessly easy would come first, and also doing the research for those paralogues. It's a long-term project for me, personally.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Fe7 already has transcriptions in both English and Japanese though unless you mean something else

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Also even if you know literally nothing about rom hacking it would be faster to learn it and then dump the script directly from the file

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also if you want to cheat fe7 you can just open nightmare and set everyone's stats and classes to whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Screenshots are a palatable and easy way for the average layman to digest the information. Plus having the context of how the game actually plays during cutscenes makes things important.

Now, I know about Nightmare, but it seems like it would be easy to screw it up. Is there an easy way to change someone's starting inventory, for instance? The only thing I can see is that each chapter has a selection of units, some of those being yours, and they have their own inventories; but if I change one, will it change all of them in the future, or will it just be for that chapter? It'd be cool to, for example, fill Lyn up with Sol Kattis to start and give them 99 durability or something.