Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
How would you design a piece of furniture to be be taken apart and put back together hundreds of times and remain sturdy?

I want to make a telescope mount. Here is someone else’s for illustration:

Most people glue and or/screw theirs together permanently, but I want something that packs flat. The less time it takes to assemble or disassemble, the better.

My current plan for the joints is to use simple slots, fastened with thread inserts and machine screws. Pack an electric driver.

If you have any better ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Wingnuts instead of regular nuts so you don't need a driver. Make sure there's a washer for every bolt head and nut to seat against.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Wingnuts instead of regular nuts so you don't need a driver. Make sure there's a washer for every bolt head and nut to seat against.

I thought about using big knobs like this, but I’ll have to bring a driver at least to secure the base board to the uprights—there isn’t enough room for handles underneath because that disc rides on another disc.

Little wingnuts might just be thin enough if I space the bearing right.

Anyway, at that point I thought “why not use the driver for all of them?”

Knobs do have certain advantages like being harder to lose, easier to work in the dark, and allowing multiple hands to work on the project simultaneously, so you might be right.

e: Crazy idea: use draw latches. This does make the packing a little less flat, and they provide little resistance to the sides sliding vertically.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Mar 4, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
After months of crazy work and an injured finger, I can finally call the project I've been working on done! A seed chest for my mother; not perfect, but mom loves it so thats all that matters. :v:

Mahogany and maple, finished with food safe mineral oil.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
That is very nice, and the latch is beautiful. It's that salvaged or you got it online?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Huxley posted:

That is very nice, and the latch is beautiful. It's that salvaged or you got it online?

Found it at Woodcraft :v:

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Super Waffle posted:

After months of crazy work and an injured finger, I can finally call the project I've been working on done! A seed chest for my mother; not perfect, but mom loves it so thats all that matters. :v:

Mahogany and maple, finished with food safe mineral oil.

This looks great!

I'm so stealing this idea. My wifes grandma passed a while ago and she had some old mahogany in her basement I inherited. Supposedly her husband had bought it to make something 20 years ago and never got around to it before he passed. I

I've been trying to find something nice to make my wife as a keepsake out of it. This is perfect as she loves to garden. Thanks for the idea.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

keep it down up there! posted:

This looks great!

I'm so stealing this idea. My wifes grandma passed a while ago and she had some old mahogany in her basement I inherited. Supposedly her husband had bought it to make something 20 years ago and never got around to it before he passed. I

I've been trying to find something nice to make my wife as a keepsake out of it. This is perfect as she loves to garden. Thanks for the idea.

My biggest issue was mixing up the different sizes of seed packets. The one in the picture is the largest one my mom has; I had the width right but I wrote down the height of a smaller type of packet, so by the time I was ready for finish, I realized the box was 1.5" too short :negative:. Thats the reason for the maple band around the circumference; I cut the whole box in half, made up a 1.5" maple rise, cut off the tip of my finger, waited two months for it to heal, then glued all the pieces back together. Turned out okay, considering.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Pro tip if you glue your finger back on straight away it's more likely to heal than if you leave it 2 months. :v:

(Looks great by the way)

keep it down up there!
Jun 22, 2006

How's it goin' eh?

Yeah still looks great. The banding looks like an intentional design choice too.

My wife has a drawer of seed packs. I'll have to raid it and do test fits as I go.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

Let the liquor do the thinkin'
Does anyone have any good garage workbench plans? My place now has an outdoor garage that I've cleaned out and have a blank slate to build a workbench. I was thinking something in the vein of the family handyman version. The space I have is larger so I would probably modify the size to make it a little longer. I basically want to build a large, sturdy, flat bench with storage underneath and a tool wall above it. Probably start with pegboard but may eventually do a french cleat wall. The garage has exposed studs so I could use that to my advantage with securing the bench and making storage above the bench. I just want to make sure if I modify any plans to increase size I account for that to make sure it ends up being sturdy.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What sort of work do you want to do on it, and what tools do you have to work with? That bench doesn't look very good for woodworking, but maybe that's not what you're into. As for strength over large areas, look into torsion box designs.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

ColdPie posted:

What sort of work do you want to do on it, and what tools do you have to work with? That bench doesn't look very good for woodworking, but maybe that's not what you're into. As for strength over large areas, look into torsion box designs.

Yea that's just a general idea of the shape I want, a flat bench with tool storage. I would be using it for woodworking, and would plan to attach a cheapish vise to one end. I would need to be able to clamp to it and glue up things on it, sand, chisel, hammer, file etc. So a more solid frame would probably be what I need. Not trying to spend hundreds of dollars and would use lumber and plywood.

bred
Oct 24, 2008
I have a table in that style. It's my wife's gardening table now. It is stiff but lightweight so I added mass by screwing it to the house. They're cheap and easy to make so you can scrap and rebuild as your learn more about your perfect bench. Mine is in the backyard because I wanted a thicker, flatter top but then I found the surface was too high. I wanted a lower work surface so I changed the frame and now I have an extra table.

I like mounting to the studs but I try to do it as subassemblies that I can remove in big pieces. Like instead of mounting four shelves individually, I'd make a four shelf cabinet and mount that to the wall.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Borrowed GEMorris' belt sander to make some progress and give myself a respiratory problem (I was wearing a small paper mask, I need to find where I put the half mask, though).

it's ruined... (defect in the wood, thought about resin or don't caring, don't caring wins)

Tomorrow is ROS (belt was 120, ROS is going 180 -> 220 -> 320) and cleaning up any minor stuff. There's a bit of blow out on a few of the outer purple heart chunks, but I'm going to insist that it gives it character as a way to not lose my mind trying to clean it up. It's not perfectly flat and you can feel that it's a bit wavy if you run your hand over it, but it doesn't rock soooooooo don't care!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nosleep posted:

Yea that's just a general idea of the shape I want, a flat bench with tool storage. I would be using it for woodworking, and would plan to attach a cheapish vise to one end. I would need to be able to clamp to it and glue up things on it, sand, chisel, hammer, file etc. So a more solid frame would probably be what I need. Not trying to spend hundreds of dollars and would use lumber and plywood.

Start reading any blog entries by Christopher Schwarz about workbenches. He's not the only source of good info, but there are a lot of bad sources and he won't steer you wrong.

What you are describing that you want to build will be a waste of time and resources, it will not be effective at anything other than maybe being a flat surface.

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

GEMorris posted:

Start reading any blog entries by Christopher Schwarz about workbenches. He's not the only source of good info, but there are a lot of bad sources and he won't steer you wrong.

What you are describing that you want to build will be a waste of time and resources, it will not be effective at anything other than maybe being a flat surface.

So anything outside a roubo style workbench with multiple types of vices is a waste of time. Got it.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

He likes those roman benches too though.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Tres Burritos posted:

He likes those roman benches too though.

drat this is a cool video http://www.pbs.org/video/woodwrights-shop-roman-work-bench/

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

nosleep posted:

So anything outside a roubo style workbench with multiple types of vices is a waste of time. Got it.

Schwartz's two books on workbenches go into a lot of detail about why he likes or dislikes certain things and what certain designers are good or not good at. He ends with a few designs that he likes, but so much of it really comes down to the work you do, and it's a pretty solid reference work; I built the paul sellers workbench from his book without reading Schwartz's and now I see many problems I could have avoided with better design and planning.

On the other hand, if you have space to have multiple workbenches (and let's be fair, if you do have room another flat surface around the shop isn't a bad thing), you can just build the one you want and then use it to build a second once you understand what you like or dislike about the first. It's all just wood and time, you're not locked into anything.

For reference here's the first and second books.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

nosleep posted:

The bench you linked is pretty bad for woodworking. How do you plan to secure work pieces to it? The top is too thin to use holdfasts, the aprons prevent using F clamps to the top, it can't have a tail vise, a face vise will let you secure small pieces but not anything large (though, what do you attach the vise to?). It's made of small amounts of lightweight material, so it'll go scooting and racking all over the place.

There are options other than massive slab benches. Torsion boxes are a good one (English style woodworking benches, for example). This is actually what I have.

But if you just want an assembly table, none of that matters. This is why I asked what you want to use it for. In any case, if you ask for advice, don't balk when you get it.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

nosleep posted:

You sound like an idiot. Enjoy your failure and disappointment. The revolving door of morons who come in here and act like they know better, who "ask for advice" but never really wanted it, is very tiresome.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I will say that the Matthias Wandel workbench is sturdy and simple to make. The dado joinery of the stretchers and legs provide a lot of stability. Definitely holds up to planing on like an old timey workbench.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I used my sweet non-roubu workbench to get my chest of drawers to the point where I'm ready to finish. Still need to turn some knobs, but I figure I'll do that while I finish and attach em after. I've got a piece of blackwood that should suffice for all the knobs if it behaves.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I used my sweet non-roubu workbench to get my chest of drawers to the point where I'm ready to finish. Still need to turn some knobs, but I figure I'll do that while I finish and attach em after. I've got a piece of blackwood that should suffice for all the knobs if it behaves.

Oolala very good work. Would put stuff in fur sure

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Gat dang that's an heirloom and you're a treasure. Is the birdseye veneer or solid? It's veneer isn't it, and that's ok. Do tell about that beading work?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Meow Meow Meow posted:

Wow. Very nice.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

beautiful. Plans?

nosleep
Jan 20, 2004

ColdPie posted:

The bench you linked is pretty bad for woodworking. How do you plan to secure work pieces to it? The top is too thin to use holdfasts, the aprons prevent using F clamps to the top, it can't have a tail vise, a face vise will let you secure small pieces but not anything large (though, what do you attach the vise to?). It's made of small amounts of lightweight material, so it'll go scooting and racking all over the place.

There are options other than massive slab benches. Torsion boxes are a good one (English style woodworking benches, for example). This is actually what I have.

But if you just want an assembly table, none of that matters. This is why I asked what you want to use it for. In any case, if you ask for advice, don't balk when you get it.

Alright well there may be some miscommunication. I'm not looking to make the family handyman bench, maybe I shouldn't have linked it as an example. I want an against the garage wall, flat, sturdy work surface. Maybe you would consider it more of an "assembly table". I'm completely fine using an overengineered design that has a ton of support and no chance of racking. My immediate project needs aren't anything extravagant. I need to build some simple herb planters for our yard this spring. I need to make a couple of picture frames. A couple small projects. I would like to be able to clamp stuff down to the edge of the bench. For a vise I would just be using it for small tasks where I need to secure a work piece. Also possibly for small dovetail boxes etc.

Maybe none of that is considered "woodworking". I've made what I consider a pretty decent solid walnut whiskey cabinet and other projects that look nice on just flat wooden surfaces. I also rent, and want a cheap lumber/plywood setup that won't be a big deal if I leave it behind if I move at some point, and that's another reason I guess why I'm not looking to make a proper Schwarz style workbench at the moment. This may be a better question for the DIY thread.

I can wing something of course but I've not been building things long enough to feel confident that I''m structuring things in the most efficient and supportive manner. I'm used to starting with a set of plans and learning from there. I'll figure something out.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
There's no "Schwarz style" bench. I suggested you read his work because it's the most reliably quality content and reasoning on the subject. You're at the stage where you don't know enough to evaluate what is good or not, or even what you will need out of a bench to accomplish your goals. That's fine, not knowing, we are just pointing you to someone who does know and your initial response was some shrieking about not wanting to build a thing no one told you to build. Your initial plan is poo poo, were basically trying to save you from your own bad decisions because I guess we hate ourselves? We've all made bad decisions and wasted time materials and effort on I'll advised projects instead of just bothering to learn first and then spend the necessary time to make something that's actually useful. Learn from the mistakes of others.

I'd build the knockdown Nicholson in your situation. Phone built one with some of my help in my garage and he's a pretty big fan.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Mar 8, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's drinking the Schwarz Kool-Aid, but a knockdown Nicholson and the dutch tool chest seem to be a really good combo for a compact and somewhat portable setup. I haven't built the dutch tool chest yet; however, if you search through ColdPie's (I think?) post, you can see what he did.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

nosleep posted:

Alright well there may be some miscommunication. I'm not looking to make the family handyman bench, maybe I shouldn't have linked it as an example. I want an against the garage wall, flat, sturdy work surface. Maybe you would consider it more of an "assembly table". I'm completely fine using an overengineered design that has a ton of support and no chance of racking. My immediate project needs aren't anything extravagant. I need to build some simple herb planters for our yard this spring. I need to make a couple of picture frames. A couple small projects. I would like to be able to clamp stuff down to the edge of the bench. For a vise I would just be using it for small tasks where I need to secure a work piece. Also possibly for small dovetail boxes etc.

Maybe none of that is considered "woodworking". I've made what I consider a pretty decent solid walnut whiskey cabinet and other projects that look nice on just flat wooden surfaces. I also rent, and want a cheap lumber/plywood setup that won't be a big deal if I leave it behind if I move at some point, and that's another reason I guess why I'm not looking to make a proper Schwarz style workbench at the moment. This may be a better question for the DIY thread.

I can wing something of course but I've not been building things long enough to feel confident that I''m structuring things in the most efficient and supportive manner. I'm used to starting with a set of plans and learning from there. I'll figure something out.

As mentioned, the Knockdown Nicholson breaks down and is portable, so its a good fit for your use case.
I also think the Moravian Workbench looks cool from a space saving and portability standpoint, but I can't speak from experience. It also seems less labor/skill/cost intensive than a Nicholson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKI4aQtIRlg

Something cheaper that might be more what you were looking for is this torsion box workbench. If you just want something with no frills fixed to the studs, do a torsion box top and then use 2x4's for some leg supports.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Holdfasts work just fine in standard 2-by lumber as well. You'll eventually beat your dog holes to death, but it's not such a big deal when your top is two 6-foot 2x10s.

I bought a blacksmithed pair on Etsy for like, $40, and put two holes in the top of my knee-high saw bench and they've done a lot of good work.

Huxley fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Mar 8, 2018

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
GEMorris, you might like this.

I recently bought Joinery from Lost Art Press (off Amazon) for like 14 bucks.

The copy I received has Schwarz' autograph. :3:

I'm working through it now. I had no idea what I was getting, but it turns out the text was originally by Moxon, a 17th century printer. Very intriguing.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Hah, neat that you've got a signed copy. I have a copy of that book as well, it's pretty good. That's the first book they published, before he left popwood.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

GEMorris posted:

Hah, neat that you've got a signed copy. I have a copy of that book as well, it's pretty good. That's the first book they published, before he left popwood.

Stayed up last night reading it. I'm starting to enjoy reading about woodworking more than actually doing it.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

Mr. Mambold posted:

Gat dang that's an heirloom and you're a treasure. Is the birdseye veneer or solid? It's veneer isn't it, and that's ok. Do tell about that beading work?

Thanks man, it's maple burl veneer. Don't know how well (and expensive) using solid burl would be. It's all bookmatched, really hard to tell because it's sanded, but once the finish is on it'll really pop.

The beading was done with a scratch stock on a sizable piece of wood, then I sawed the bead off. I applied the beads after I glued up and fit the drawer, because you can't really do any fitting once the bead is on. Once the drawer was fit I used a router to route a rabbet on all four sides of the front, then mitred the bead pieces in place using a mitre shooting board to sneak up on a prefect fit. They're held on with glue and a couple pin nails. I picked up one of the Ryobi battery powered nailers and it works very well, I would totally recommend for someone that only uses a nailer occasionally.

ilkhan posted:

beautiful. Plans?

No real plans, just a couple of sketches I did if you're interested.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Is there a better place than Craigslist to try and score an old vise? Trying to get something better than the current Home Depot offerings and haven't had any luck yet, figured ya'll might have some hidden knowledge on the topic.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

No real plans, just a couple of sketches I did if you're interested.
Absolutely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

tangy yet delightful posted:

Is there a better place than Craigslist to try and score an old vise? Trying to get something better than the current Home Depot offerings and haven't had any luck yet, figured ya'll might have some hidden knowledge on the topic.

Craigslist, OfferUp and Facebook Marketplace are all good options. I find FB Marketplace is slower to turnover and has usually older stuff, but that makes it easier to snag stuff without setting up alerts or watching like a hawk.

Garage Journal has some great posts on older vises.