Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I'll still be reasonably satisfied with the TOP overall as long as the final fight is well-choreographed enough to be entertaining, but yeah Jiren has definitely been a disappointment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
It would be hilarious if Freeza saving the universe cleared his karmic debt and Yemma had no choice but to let him into heaven.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It would be hilarious if Freeza saving the universe cleared his karmic debt and Yemma had no choice but to let him into heaven.

He better end up like Dabura did, then.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TrilliontonNixon posted:

The Awesomesaurus posted:

He better end up like Dabura did, then.

He'll truly be happy and satisfied for the first time in ever, only for Goku to ruin it all by wishing him back.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More quality comics from that talented anon

Linked due possible spoilers.

https://imgur.com/LynNXTe

:allears:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I wouldn't call that possible spoilers

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

Primarily because the alternative was the anime had no idea what to do with the character and that seemed too stupid to be real.

Joke's on us.

To be fair the manga one isn’t that much more fleshed out then his anime counterpart.

Unless there has been some massive change since I last checked.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

CharlestheHammer posted:

To be fair the manga one isn’t that much more fleshed out then his anime counterpart.

Unless there has been some massive change since I last checked.

We actully see stuff of him and got a grasp of his personalty. That is not "STRONG"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Manga Jiren is introduced as caring about the wellbeing of Universe 11 almost above all else, refusing to kill others and initially declining to join the tournament of power because he doesn't want to merk a bunch of other universes just so his can keep existing.

This is not the type of guy who would be giving Anime Jiren's loving bottom-of-the-barrel "trust is stupid you're stupid" speeches.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'd just like to point out that the strongest being in the DBZ multiverse can't follow the movements of two (admittedly very powerful) mortals.

Toriyama, Toriyama..

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd just like to point out that the strongest being in the DBZ multiverse can't follow the movements of two (admittedly very powerful) mortals.

Toriyama, Toriyama..

He couldn't see the cabbit either. He's in charge because he can erase anyone that mouths off to him, not because he's skilled or talented.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
https://twitter.com/Herms98/status/972038504992587776

this explains a lot

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Interesting that Buu was planned to be a fakeout and Frieza was always on the cards

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

UI was never planned and neither was the sayian girls. Jesus christ. Jiren was made to have no personality.

Dragon Ball Thread: "80 dudes in a jumble"

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

toriyama making cauli out of nowhere after having kale suggested is amazing

like sure i'll just create some rad characters out of dumb broly fanservice, toriyama out bitches *peels off on dirtbike made entirely of money*

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
He pulled the same trick with Whis. Beerus was originally supposed to be a solo act, a lizard man with a name that was a pun on Virus. Tori read at as 'oh like beer? okay i'mma make some whiskey to pair with it'

'also beerus is my cat now he just survived double cancer and made my vet shriek in horror that it has to be some kinda demon thing to do it and that's fukken rad'

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

End of 131 is gonna be Goku staring into the camera for thirty seconds before saying "GT is canon," and then dropping his pants and doing goatse

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Toriyama: Piccolo is going to forget he can hear really well and be KO'd by a tiny bug man who can only be detected by hearing

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
For all I can say about DBS its always hilarious the way it turns out that the most controversial elements always seem to come from Toriyama himself. It kind of shows why you need him involved since otherwise things get really dull like they did with GT.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

It really does. Both the good and the bad.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
some observations from the most recent ep:

again, jiren's VA is simply incredible. the way he delivers the the "owari da" (sorry if i'm spelling that wrong, but i mean the thing where he says like "It's over now!") is simply great

for the first time in super i feel that the anime has gotten across the absolutely cosmic feeling of the fighters strength. like i could TELL that they were at new tiers w/ god and blue but really there wasn't a ton differentiating it, and if they had replaced those fights with the sayains as simply ssj it'd function kinda similarly. at this point the feel is really that they're on some sort of absolutely new level

jiren - from my pov - has been entirely consistent. he believes strength is justice and despises two types: 1) specific evil doers (hit, maji kayo) and 2) people who attempt to be heroes but aren't strong enough to do it. these both tie into his backstory perfectly - he hates the guy who killed his family and master and hates himself for not being strong enough to stop them. he's still a "good" guy but his views on what is good are a bit warped.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm glad "WOW YOUR HUSBAND IS UGLY" wasn't something Toriyama came up with

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

So most of the bad parts of the top are things that toriyama came up with...

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I love the fact that the anime crew was like "Let's make Broly, but a girl!" and Toriyama's response was basically "Okay but she needs a girlfriend to hang out with."

And we all know that final scene is going to be Raditz revealing he was resurrected decades ago and trained in secret to become a Super Saiyan God Super Duper Saiyan Mastered Rage Form Complete 3. OR SSGSDSMRFC3 for short.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My biggest takeaway from all this is that we're almost definitely getting a new series before the dub of super runs out of episodes :getin:

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
Raditz has actually been alive this whole time, he took over that guys farm.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

IcePhoenix posted:

My biggest takeaway from all this is that we're almost definitely getting a new series before the dub of super runs out of episodes :getin:

We knew that though?

After Super ends we’re getting a movie then another series

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm glad that the anime guys wanted to exploit broly's popularity again, because that gave us Caulifla.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

A Fancy Hat posted:

And we all know that final scene is going to be Raditz revealing he was resurrected decades ago and trained in secret to become a Super Saiyan God Super Duper Saiyan Mastered Rage Form Complete 3. OR SSGSDSMRFC3 for short.

The funny thing is that when Episode Bardock was released, Toriyama was asked about the possibility of using the Dragon Balls to bring Bardock back and Toriyama's answer back then was that it would be pointless because Bardock's power was too small compared to the main cast.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The funny thing is that when Episode Bardock was released, Toriyama was asked about the possibility of using the Dragon Balls to bring Bardock back and Toriyama's answer back then was that it would be pointless because Bardock's power was too small compared to the main cast.

Yeah the really sad truth is, Bardock just isn't that strong a dude.

Great character, great stories, great last stand

But even if he DID get SSJ, he couldn't have beaten First Form Freeza.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah the writers seemed to have forgotten that Bardock got curb stomped by Dodoria, you know, the big pink guy that vegeta effortlessly destroys when he first arrives on namek.

But gotta make him super sayian and really tough to get those fanboy dollars.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol everyone blaming Toei for Jiren when it was all Toryiama.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i think everything has been pretty good honestly, but im just a simple man who likes watching a punchman

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

In-context, Bardock is monstrously strong and completely shatters the Saiyan caste system, being nearly twice as powerful as Nappa yet categorised as a low-class Saiyan.

The problem is that this is Dragon Ball, so that kind of power is absolutely minimal when you leave Planet Vegeta. Or when Freeza's bigger goons enter it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

CharlestheHammer posted:

Lol everyone blaming Toei for Jiren when it was all Toryiama.

I mean, if the complaint was that Jiren isn't consistent, that definitely implies that Toriyama also didn't give enough of a gently caress to hammer down a personality beforehand. Which, as it turns out, he didn't. Because 'stoic' is not really a lot to go on.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I mean, if the complaint was that Jiren isn't consistent, that definitely implies that Toriyama also didn't give enough of a gently caress to hammer down a personality beforehand. Which, as it turns out, he didn't. Because 'stoic' is not really a lot to go on.

I mean outside that one dude I don’t think anyone calls him inconsistent just bland.

Which was apparently how he was designed to be.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Yeah having your antagonist have no personality from the get go is incredibly dumb. Having him be this strong stoic guy doesn't really do much.

The Goku black arc had flaws, but at least Zamasu had personality.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Blaze Dragon posted:

In-context, Bardock is monstrously strong and completely shatters the Saiyan caste system, being nearly twice as powerful as Nappa yet categorised as a low-class Saiyan.

The problem is that this is Dragon Ball, so that kind of power is absolutely minimal when you leave Planet Vegeta. Or when Freeza's bigger goons enter it.

I mean that is kind of the schtick with Saiyans, somehow managing to become stronger just by fighting and training a lot.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Zamasu was extremely one note. "KILL ALL MORTALS" over and over and over

I like Jiren. I like that he's mostly quiet and defined by how overwhelming his power is. What I don't like is his design. They literally just took a grey alien and roided it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Zamasu was anything but one note, he was haughty and extremely self absorbed. He has literally the most personality of any DB villian.