Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Guy in thumbnail is a powerlifter. SHAME!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Sorry for the switcheroo, it's more of a gym fail supercut.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

High-heels powerliftress rules though

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Data Graham posted:

:stonklol:
(I can't even imagine walking in heels like that, let alone lifting)

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Data Graham posted:

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Data Graham posted:

Yeah not really seeing the problem there, expected her ankles to give or something but she seems to easily handle the weight and has great form 😏

RIP to all the vertebrae and knees in that video though

Feeling pumped now for tonight’s gym session

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I don't do Oly. Are those people loving up just clueless and doing unsafe poo poo. Or is it normal to regularly bash the poo poo out of your skull with the bar?

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

bamhand posted:

I don't do Oly. Are those people loving up just clueless and doing unsafe poo poo. Or is it normal to regularly bash the poo poo out of your skull with the bar?

I think they're just trying to pull off lifts there's no chance they could make or when they're way too tired.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
1:56 is not even a fail. Nailed it.

The woman in heels isn't failing either.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

bamhand posted:

I don't do oly, either, but I get the impression knowing how to safely bail out of lifts is much more important in Oly than in other lifting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW1IHQzua6k

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah that looks awful and scary.

Anyone OHP with a belt? Not sure if it's placebo but it feels like it helps a lot.

bamhand fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Mar 9, 2018

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Yeah it helps

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
everyone should do oly lifts, if they can

baw
Nov 5, 2008

holy poo poo pistol squats with a barbell in heels

baw fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Mar 9, 2018

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I bought 17 lbs of whey last night for 73 bux which comes out to around 9 dollars per 2.2lb.

If anyone is interested go to myprotein, add 3 5.5 lb bags, and then add a single .55lb bag(you may have to search for this separately, I didn't see it in the drop down box where you select size) and put the code MARCHWHEY in. I think it only works for US store.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

bamhand posted:

Yeah that looks awful and scary.

Anyone OHP with a belt? Not sure if it's placebo but it feels like it helps a lot.

It definitely helps because bracing your abs is crucial to keeping the weight from arcing your back which robs some of your power. I don't like to use it though for anything more than a single because OHP is a lift where I have to get my breathing just right and the belt fucks that up.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I've been using it for my last set. Cranked out 5 reps of 170 last night and I don't think I could have done it without the belt.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Been cutting for the past eight weeks and have dropped 10lbs. Lifts have all stayed pretty constant until now, when my bench stalled pretty heavily and I had to drop from 187lb (85kg) to 165lb to finish the set. Gone from 158lb to 148lb, I think maybe I’ll stop for a while...

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Belt is cheating

Sorry fellas

Get stronger core = no need belt

Don't take it from me, take it from the strongest fucker in the world, Eddie Hall

quote:

"Don’t wear it. I train all year round without a belt or any supportive gear. That’s the best way to build all-round strength, and the only way to hit your stabilising muscles,” says Hall.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Y4o_BqC0A

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Or just do whatever you want and don't parrot top athletes because they are 1) not built like mere mortals, so what works for them might not work for you 2) don't necessarily know what they're talking about

For example, Arnold thought that certain exercises could emphasize inner vs outer pecs

baw
Nov 5, 2008

another example is top athlete Donald Trump who thinks that your body has a limited amount of energy and exercising diminishes it

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

"he immediately collapsed afterwards and revealed that he had burst blood vessels in his head."

:fireman: but world records are

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

feelix posted:

Or just do whatever you want and don't parrot top athletes because they are 1) not built like mere mortals, so what works for them might not work for you 2) don't necessarily know what they're talking about

For example, Arnold thought that certain exercises could emphasize inner vs outer pecs

Yeah, I take my advice from comedy forums on the internet instead, works for me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Yeah, I take my advice from comedy forums on the internet instead, works for me

Because you're a clown.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Speaking of olympic lifts, I have to get used to wearing a belt during deadlifts mainly because a) I want to for safety's sake as the weight increases and b) it feels awkward as gently caress in the starting position and I'm still trying to acclimate. It's a big old Inzer Forever belt and it is not flexible in the least so the edges end up poking either my lower ribcage or the iliac crests of my pelvis.

Also on the topic of oly: my shoulders pop and crack (not audibly, just the feeling) when I'm doing OHP and it sucks because I know I could possibly squeeze out another 5-10 lbs but it's uncomfortable and my rotator cuff occasionally "sticks" in the middle of a heavy press. What could help this? Shoulder mobility drills?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

ElectricSheep posted:

Speaking of olympic lifts, I have to get used to wearing a belt during deadlifts mainly because a) I want to for safety's sake as the weight increases

This is nonsense. You're at the same if not more risk when maxing out with a belt.

The weight will be higher and pushing out into the belt is its own special thing (hernias? idk).

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

sassassin posted:

This is nonsense. You're at the same if not more risk when maxing out with a belt.

The weight will be higher and pushing out into the belt is its own special thing (hernias? idk).

I do always feel more awkward with it on during DLs. I'm not sold on the concept so I'm definitely just pitching it out there with my own observations after a couple pulls to see what you all feel.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ElectricSheep posted:

Also on the topic of oly: my shoulders pop and crack (not audibly, just the feeling) when I'm doing OHP and it sucks because I know I could possibly squeeze out another 5-10 lbs but it's uncomfortable and my rotator cuff occasionally "sticks" in the middle of a heavy press. What could help this? Shoulder mobility drills?

see a doctor

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

sassassin posted:

Because you're a clown.

:captainpop:

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

ElectricSheep posted:

Speaking of olympic lifts, I have to get used to wearing a belt during deadlifts mainly because a) I want to for safety's sake as the weight increases and b) it feels awkward as gently caress in the starting position and I'm still trying to acclimate. It's a big old Inzer Forever belt and it is not flexible in the least so the edges end up poking either my lower ribcage or the iliac crests of my pelvis.

I stopped using a belt 7 years ago and feel much more stable now. I could lift a little more if I relearned how to use a belt but I don't think it's worth it.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Yeah, I've trained beltless for years and I've beaten all my previous maxes beltless now. I'll probably throw it back on a month or two before I do another meet, but why gently caress up a good thing now?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

ElectricSheep posted:

Sounds like you're on the way to injury 💯

This used to happen to me before I hosed up my shoulder, turns out I was doing shoulder lifts throwing them back too much, easily corrected by having my lifts go slightly more forward but it still screwed me for 6 months and still hurts in certain positions. Now my shoulders crack audibly too 👌

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
Cool. I'll get it looked at by a sports ortho at some point and reevaluate my form in the meantime. I hadn't planned on increasing the weight any more anyway and I'll drop to something more manageable.

FWIW my shoulders have always sucked, to the degree that I hosed up my right rotator cuff for months after I waxed my car. :sad:

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
I haven't used a belt for a couple of years either. I've tried to a few times recently while squatting/dling and it has completely ruined the lift, because it feels so limiting (breathing and movement). Beltless is so much more comfortable.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Pulled 5 reps of 405. Now I'm 40/50 reps through squatting 215. I feel sooo bad.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
:hfive: I pulled 5x405 for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Then I tested my 1RM a week after that and it was 485 which is even higher than the calculators would suggest

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I saw a guy pull 405x5 tonight but he didn't squat afterwards.

Eerie stuff.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

sassassin posted:

I saw a guy pull 405x5 tonight but he didn't squat afterwards.

Eerie stuff.
I do front squats on the day I deadlift now, but otherwise why would you do both on the same day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
One is for volume so it doesn't matter so much.