Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Ulio posted:

Nice to see people enjoying this series. Didn't really have much fanfare here for that series. Did you like the sequels? I think the first one was by far the best. The 2nd one is interesting but a slog and the third was kinda of a mixed bag also.

I did very much actually. I didn't just want to copypaste my goodreads short review but I found each book very different stylistically but still strong, if not the power punch of the first. I think if anything I preferred the third to the second, which served more as set up for the final installment.

Just wish somebody had thought to try talking on the cellphone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Use of Weapons is my go to recommended starting point for the Culture. It might not be as straight forward as the first two (or anything), but I think the writing and the concepts are so amazing that it will make you more tolerant towards anything else Banks wrote.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Bilirubin posted:

Just finished the Area X trilogy by Vandermeer. Was good stuff! And just in time for the movie

I really liked the first one and third. I read all three during a resort vacation and I actually had nightmares, which never happens for me.

If that does it for you, I’d recommend Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

tuyop posted:

I really liked the first one and third. I read all three during a resort vacation and I actually had nightmares, which never happens for me.

If that does it for you, I’d recommend Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff and The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle.

Awesome thanks for the recommendations!

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari

An outstanding book that consistently made me reevaluate the way I thought about history and humanity. He makes a strong case for how empires, market forces, and science all worked together to form the modern world. If anyone is aware of a good rebuttal or criticism to the book that is worth reading, do let me know.

North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

I read this one because of the acclaim it got in this thread, actually. A collection of short stories that uses supernatural elements to explore the horrors of human nature. As with any short story collection it can be hit or miss but even the poorer stories are so well written that you'll remain enthralled.

scootsmagoo
Jan 18, 2011
Creation by Gore Vidal

This was a fascinating historical fiction work which covered a vast breadth of history I've had yet to read about in detail. The main character isn't all that strong and doesn't possess many poignant characteristics, but this is intentional, to allow the main character to fade into the background of the dense history at play. I found it to be an interesting foray into Persian/Indian/Chinese history, however skewed some of the narrative may have been from its interpretation of history.

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison

I voraciously read this over the span of week based upon how captivating I found the narrative immediately upon picking the book up. Its nuanced depiction of how the nameless narrator experiences 1950s America as a black man is unlike anything I've read, although I'm new to black literature in general. The descriptions of the settings were in numerous instances entirely unique to me, with the author's attention to the minutiae of life uncannily similar to the arbitrary intricacies I see, which was spooky to me. This is the best book I've read in a while.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

cult member at airport posted:

North American Lake Monsters by Nathan Ballingrud

welcome, brother

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Streams of Gold Rivers of Blood by Anthony Kaldellis

To summarize, narrative history of the Byzantine Empire from the mid 900's till the First Crusade. Breaks down the reigns of the Emperors of this period, including the notable Basil II "The Bulgar Slayer" who was the longest reigning Roman Emperor. He gives evidence of how this period of Imperial Power and sudden collapse in the 1070's wasn't due too the traditional narrative of powerful land owners taking control of the state, instead it was simply the decline of the Macedonian Dynasty, stripped away Imperial Legitimacy as Emperors tried to insulate themselves with way to many bribes and questionably competent loyalists as new powers like the Seljuks, Normans and Pechenegs encroached. Also that the First Crusade was really a Byzantine Military Operation until the Siege of Antioch and everything went off the rails for the Empire.

Overall a pretty interesting book that sort of set the stage for a lot of the important events of the Middle Ages.

Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson

Been I assume reviewed/recommended to death on this site, was engaging kept me reading. Had an excellent set of "I wonder who is doing what" all the way up until the end with some big reveals/drama in the climax and even more so in the epilogue. The sequel I think is aptly titled, because by the end of the book despite her supposed intentions... yeah I kinda came away thinking on that you stare too much into the abyss you become it with Baru ending up a Monster. Also as an accountant it was amusing to see the number cruncher be the lead character even if it was all quite abstracted.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Pocket Billiards posted:

Don't Let's Go to the Dogs Tonight - Alexandra Fuller

Autobiography of a white girl growing up in Rhodesia, Malawi and Zambia. I couldn't put this one down. It's a bit of everything, the historical and political background, coming of ages stories, life in the bush, family struggles and tragedy and very well written as well.

Picked this one up after seeing it mentioned here. Great story and enjoyable read. Amazing what those people dealt with

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Animal Farm.

It was good, but the ending, while completing the allegory, was a big anti-climax. I wanted another emotional hit as big as Boxer dying. Pigs playing poker and becoming indistinguishable from humans is a cool scene, but I wanted another horrific act from Napoleon to sell the transformation.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

BananaNutkins posted:

Animal Farm.

It was good, but the ending, while completing the allegory, was a big anti-climax. I wanted another emotional hit as big as Boxer dying. Pigs playing poker and becoming indistinguishable from humans is a cool scene, but I wanted another horrific act from Napoleon to sell the transformation.

Napoleon tweets MAFGA?

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

BananaNutkins posted:

Animal Farm.

The CIA didn't like the ending either. Animated film version they helped fund ends with the farm animals overthrowing the pigs.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The last two books I finished were The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club by Dorothy L. Sayers and Thunderball by Ian Fleming.

I am currently reading The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout (one of the ones that was made into an episode of the Nero Wolfe tv show about 16 years ago, but one which I haven't read).

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012
Last night I finished Ron Chernow's Grant. It's really one of the best biographies I've read in a while, and has put me solidly in the camp of Grant being an under-appreciated figure in US history. I would have finished it sooner, but to be honest, the contrast between the biography's central figure and today's leadership made for such a hard and painful contrast that I had to take a break.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I am currently reading The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout (one of the ones that was made into an episode of the Nero Wolfe tv show about 16 years ago, but one which I haven't read).

One of my favorite Nero Wolfes.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Bridge of Birds based off Book Barn recommendations. A delightful fantasy, I enjoyed it a lot. The main characters were fun, the plot had nice twists, and the ending was great.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The Girl Who Played With Fire by Stieg Larson. It's been years since I read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo but I think I enjoyed this one more. Any scene with Lisbeth Salander was the highlight for me, making up for Larson's teeth clenching focus on the minutiae of Swedish criminal investigations.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BananaNutkins posted:

Animal Farm.

You know a book is good when authorian governments ban it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ulio posted:

You know a book is good when authorian governments ban it.

Authorian governments happen when there's a dictatorship of authors

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Laws of Survival by Kristine Smith, book three of her Jani Killian series. This book is simultaneously the weakest of the series and one of the strongest - the plotting is tighter, the plate-spinning of intrigue is easier to follow, and the character development is subtle but wonderful - but at the same time I got really fed up with Jani at times, and the stakes weren't as... high? I mean, they were, but in a more subtle way that didn't feel as impactful.

High-points: the more in-depth look at the idomeni, Pierce's everything, Dolly, the way Smith writes all of these characters and keeps them distinct.

Low-points: Steve and Ange felt like they were tacked on, a random cameo from book one - little more than plot devices. Lucien. (And how frustrated I get with Jani and how she is not kind.) How dumb the main villain was/how foolish the protags were for not realizing who it was. But then I'm the reader and I saw it a mile away, so... ah well.

Anyways, book four arrives soon and I cannot wait to continue this series - it's honestly one of the best I've read this year, up there with my love for Cherryh's work.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
Lightbringer by Brent Weeks, books 1 through 4. Books 1 and 2 were the standouts overall, with book 1 in particular managing to both introduce and really go into the intricate and dirty relationships between the characters. I'm still not at the point yet where I've read enough genre fiction to feel qualified to move on to the proper classics, so the main standout in this series for me was the realistically messy relationships between people in power and the ones they lord over. It's also nice to see a main character who is genuinely fat and kind of vile in the beginning.

The end of Book 2 has a strange problem where all of a sudden you're off a rollercoaster of plot and now you're just kind of trundling along the tracks till you hit the end. Where things used to unfold in unexpected ways (or very unfortunate expected ones), everything just starts happening along a very logical train of events until the book's over. Book 3 managed to avoid this for the most part, had a really great conclusion, but in Book 4 that problem came back in full force. I don't even remember much of what happened in it because all of the little things that made me love these characters started to disappear bit by bit as they developed.

I like stories where young people grow up into strong but twisted versions of what they believed they'd become as children. In this case, the kid just kinda grows up the exact way he'd like to grow up, and aside from a few moments, becomes exactly who he wanted to be. I'll still read Book 5, but from what I hear Weeks has a real hard time finishing stories strongly. I hope he breaks the streak this time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just finished The Hangmans Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch. I thought it was pretty good. Nothing amazing but the characters and the mystery kept me reading and I powered through it in a few days. I'd gladly read more like it.

e: apparently it's the first of a series. Well, I know what I'm reading next.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 16, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Forests of the Night by S Andrew Swann. Not a bad read, not a great read, but fun: it's about a private detective getting drawn into a conspiracy thriller in a cyberpunk world, and the private dick also happens to be a tiger. There's a bunch of gunfights, convoluted political links, and a little light romance.

Not sure if I'd rec it, but hell - I enjoyed it as a fast break from this other series I'm reading.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just finished Myths for the Modern Age: Philip José Farmer's Wold Newton Universe. My thoughts are repeated from the chat thread:

quote:

I really enjoy that whole idea of shared universes like that; I like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Anno Dracula a lot. But the Wold Newton one is by far my least favourite of the three. I have a sort of nerdy appreciation for how the guys who have written on it have put a huge amount of work into these pseudo-academic articles explaining how Hannibal Smith from The A-Team is actually a distant relative of Sherlock Holmes, but at the same time, it ends up feeling even more contrived than a lot of that stuff usually is. Maybe it just ties everything together too neatly.

I think I will read an actual story next. My options are another Nero Wolfe, another James Bond, or Knots and Crosses by Iain Rankin.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Just finished A Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers and reread The Magicians by Lev Grossman. One is full of characters who are ideal friends, and the other's cast could not be less ideal.

With Long Way, I first read the sequel, which I liked because of the focus on interpersonal relationships, especially the amount of support the characters offered each other. This book has the same quality to it, but in an episodic structure with an ensemble cast instead of two alternating stories. I think I prefer A Closed and Common Orbit overall, as that had a greater capacity for emotional catharsis and sustaining tension, but I like the focus on interspecies cohabitation and non-human perspectives (especially Sissix's) that Long Way focuses on more. I'll keep an eye out for the next one.

The Magicians is a story about somebody I could relate to a lot when I first read it, but I forgot how petty and self-centered Quentin and all of his friends are. The amount of bad decisions Quentin makes vastly outweighs the good, and it's hard for me to see how he learned anything from his ordeal. It also has some action scenes near the end that I might revisit later, because I always wanted to learn how to write action scenes and they convey a very specific feeling of panic and joylessness that I've yet to see anywhere else. I found it compelling over all, but if other readers get impatient with Quentin I can't blame them.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

The Magicians is rarely recommended in the suggest me a book threads, which is a little baffling, because it is one of the best written modern fantasy series. People say they want something different and fresh, but then they get upset that the characters are not your typical farmboy chosen one characters. The first book is about the fruitlessness of escapism.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

BananaNutkins posted:

The Magicians is rarely recommended in the suggest me a book threads, which is a little baffling, because it is one of the best written modern fantasy series. People say they want something different and fresh, but then they get upset that the characters are not your typical farmboy chosen one characters. The first book is about the fruitlessness of escapism.

I think most people avoid recommending it because the series dives right into Furrydom and Rape fantasies and poo poo. And also the author is a tool.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
also it sucks, and it's bad

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just (earlier this morning) finished Knots and Crosses by Ian Rankin, the first Inspector Rebus novel. It was fine; decent enough noir detective stuff. At the same time, it was very obviously (as Rankin admits in the introduction) the author's first novel and he was in (again, as he admits in the introduction) "yes, I own a thesaurus" mode. :v:

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

cult member at airport posted:

Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge was a chore to finish. I picked it up because I like the augmented reality concept and I do appreciate some of the concepts the book came up with for tech that would exist in a world where AR was ubiquitous. Unfortunately there isn't a single likable character and the writing leaves a lot to be desired. I'm sort of baffled at the acclaim and awards this book got.

Like a lot of SF, it hasn't aged well and (I dare say) wasn't very good in the first place. Looking back at old award winners, you'll mostly find very pedestrian works. And the SF fan community is a big force in promoting works, which means that all sorts of things get profile because the creator is a fan or fan favourite. I'll still credit Vinge's "A Fire Upon the Deep" as an entertaining and clever work.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Bricoleur posted:

Whip Hand by Dick Francis

Crime novel about a man, Sid Halley, who used to be a successful horse jockey until an accident cost him the use of his hand, and his ability to ride. He turned into a private eye after people in the horse racing world kept getting him to investigate stuff that they either didn't want the regular police to know about, or the regular police just didn't have enough horse-related knowledge to be efficient. In this book he's sent to investigate why horses at a certain racing stable are suddenly failing to thrive as young adults.

I really enjoyed it. A lot of private detective novels feature characters who are ex-cops or ex-military, but an ex-jockey isn't just refreshing but it provides a lot of insight to horse racing in general (at least concerning 20th century English racing) as well as proves settings not normally seen in crime stories. I mean, who else uses horse racing? But it's executed very well. The author himself used to be a jockey. This book is part of a series so I'll have to read the others.

I read a tonne of those back in the days. They're hardly high literature but but tell a good story with getting ridiculous. And, as you say, the protagonist is quite different.

Content: I just finished The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin. For those not in the loop, this is the big hitter of Chinese science fiction and with a very positive reception.

Having said that, I had somewhat mixed feelings. The setting and culture is different and interesting (China in the Cultural Revolution and today) although the translation is a little stiff. The book nonetheless is very readable and more-ish. There's a lot of intriguing hooks to pull you into the story. But, the story does end mid-stream (sequels ahoy), there are lots of largely indistinguishable uptight Chinese academics as characters, a blatant deus ex machina, an absurdly powerful bit of alien technology that by all rights should end the story right there, a lengthy and goofy computer game section ... I'll probably look at the sequels but when I'm good and ready.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 22, 2018

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Bricoleur posted:

The author himself used to be a jockey. This book is part of a series so I'll have to read the others.

The novels are only loosely connected; Sid Halley shows up in 4 books and Kit Fielding in 2, but the rest are independent. All of them are "Horses Plus X" novels though. Unfortunately since they were written 1962-2010 some of the plots could now be easily defeated by email and cellphones, but I enjoyed them a lot back in the day.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

outlier posted:

I just finished The Three Body Problem by Liu Cixin.

... I'll probably look at the sequels but when I'm good and ready.

If you enjoyed TBP at all then you should definitely read the sequels. Each one expands on the "scope" of the previous by several orders of magnitude.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I disliked the second one for its treatment of female characters, but the third was very upsetting to me in the same way as Seveneves, if you read that. I’d recommend sticking through the series.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finished The Spy Who Loved Me by Ian Fleming and Three Witnesses and Not Quite Dead Enough, both by Rex Stout, in the past few days. They're all quite short books.

I will probably go on to On Her Majesty's Secret Service next.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

100 pages of kick-rear end characters and world-building followed by 200 pages of non-stop twists and action. A great book.

Symphony for the City of the Dead: Dimitri Shostakovich and the Seige of Leningrad - M.T. Anderson

A social and political history of Hitler trying to starve out Leningrad, and how a popular composer rallied the starving city with his 7th Symphony. An excellent book that mixes art-theory with historical examination. A complete and total recommend.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
Thanks for the recommends on TBP sequels - I'll push them up the stack.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Captain Hotbutt posted:

A Darker Shade of Magic - V.E. Schwab

100 pages of kick-rear end characters and world-building followed by 200 pages of non-stop twists and action. A great book.

I was recommended that series by a colleague and I thought it was just full of clumsy prose and Mary Sue-isms. I was embarrassed to be reading it.

I haven’t actually encountered any palatable fantasy apart from ASOIAF and Uprooted by Naomi Novik, even scouring the Nebula and Locus award lists. I guess All the Birds in the Sky qualifies as fantasy? Even that was a bit cringe-inducing at points. I’ve just given up on the genre at this point but It’d be great to see some quality writing there.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

tuyop posted:

I was recommended that series by a colleague and I thought it was just full of clumsy prose and Mary Sue-isms. I was embarrassed to be reading it.

I haven’t actually encountered any palatable fantasy apart from ASOIAF and Uprooted by Naomi Novik, even scouring the Nebula and Locus award lists. I guess All the Birds in the Sky qualifies as fantasy? Even that was a bit cringe-inducing at points. I’ve just given up on the genre at this point but It’d be great to see some quality writing there.

I enjoyed the concept/world enough to get through the first book, but hated the second and stopped halfway through. My lady finished it and confirmed that I both called the ending and was right to not bother with it. She did not read the third.

tuyop, have you read any Gene Wolfe or Ursula K LeGuin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

tuyop, have you read any Gene Wolfe or Ursula K LeGuin?

Oh yeah I love Ursula K. LeGuin, I just thought that was Sci Fi rather than fantasy. Gene Wolfe does sound more up my alley, I’ll add him to the queue.

Also, are there any normal looking fantasy authors? Between Gene Wolfe and Patrick Rothfuss I’m just :stare: at the whole persona.