Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I’d definitely be interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
:same:

Also, what is better for flying? Cartridges or a converter?

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Kessel posted:

I need to gauge interest, so post here if you’re potentially interested in getting one. That way I’ll know how many samples to set aside for you.

I'm always interested in pen sleeves, especially 2-pen ones, since that's what I normally take with me.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:yossame:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Kessel posted:

We did up the final design for Musubi’s thing that isn’t a book today. It’s in the sample room undergoing refinement now and the final prototype will probably be ready in about two weeks’ time. Some of you saw it at the LA show, but - it’s a 1-or-2 pen sleeve. It’s a genuinely unique design with some very unusual traits that you would never expect of a fabric sleeve, and is done up in the quality you’d expect from us.

I value the honest input of you folks in the thread, so I’ll be offering up a few pieces or so in here around mid-ish April for anyone here who wants to buy a prototype and tell me what they think. There’ll be a goon discount, of course.

Part of the profit from this second project is going towards providing shelter and skills training for women from abusive family backgrounds in Indonesia. We’ll be using this funding to first get them out of their abusers’ hands and then second to help fund modern skills training so that they can seek gainful employment and financial independence.

I need to gauge interest, so post here if you’re potentially interested in getting one. That way I’ll know how many samples to set aside for you.

I'm in!

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
I'm extremely interested. I could really use a pen sleeve!

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Down. What's the approx price range?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

MoraleHazard posted:

:same:

Also, what is better for flying? Cartridges or a converter?

No joke put them in a plastic bottle with the lid on tight. It'll protect them physically and also avoid leakage due to pressure changes regardless of whether you've got a converter or a cart in there.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm poor, so I can't really justify saying I'm down without knowing a price. But then again what do I need a sleeve for if my only pens are a Metropolitan and a Safari. :v:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'm also provisionally interested, depending on rough price range. I'd have a hard time saying yes if one would cost more than my two most expensive pens combined :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
also interested, if it’s not like $200

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

We did up the final design for Musubi’s thing that isn’t a book today. It’s in the sample room undergoing refinement now and the final prototype will probably be ready in about two weeks’ time. Some of you saw it at the LA show, but - it’s a 1-or-2 pen sleeve. It’s a genuinely unique design with some very unusual traits that you would never expect of a fabric sleeve, and is done up in the quality you’d expect from us.

I value the honest input of you folks in the thread, so I’ll be offering up a few pieces or so in here around mid-ish April for anyone here who wants to buy a prototype and tell me what they think. There’ll be a goon discount, of course.

Part of the profit from this second project is going towards providing shelter and skills training for women from abusive family backgrounds in Indonesia. We’ll be using this funding to first get them out of their abusers’ hands and then second to help fund modern skills training so that they can seek gainful employment and financial independence.

I'm down on a single or dualie sleeve. Btw saw this post mentioning your journals last night: https://www.wellappointeddesk.com/2018/02/la-pen-show-recap/

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

umalt posted:

I'm poor, so I can't really justify saying I'm down without knowing a price. But then again what do I need a sleeve for if my only pens are a Metropolitan and a Safari. :v:

Obviously you need a sleeve to hold your metro and safari

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Kessel posted:

Sounds good, I'm in!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm interested too! But I am also poor and not sure I'll be able to get one depending on the price

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

That's a lot more interest than I was expecting.

I've always felt that 99% of the fabric pen rolls, wraps and kimonos out there are passable - they protect your pens from abrasion while it sits in your bag, but are too soft to protect against anything else. I wanted to use our expertise with materials to bring something unique to the table.

So, to keep it succinct - we've designed an impact-resistant fabric pen sleeve, with a flexible internal frame made by bonding a number of materials together. The internal design allows the frame to absorb and distribute a frankly disturbing amount of force. In our testing, you can put a Nakaya in the sleeve and drop it from about five feet, or hurl it against a wall, without damage to the pen. Yet the case is still fabric, and soft to the touch, with the kind of obsessive detailing you'd expect from us. I'll be able to post some pictures soon.

Lowness 72 posted:

Down. What's the approx price range?

I'm trying to keep the price on this down. We're currently shooting for 50. May creep up a little depending on the fabric.

Kessel fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 11, 2018

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Works for me! I've got a nice silk pen wrap from Ryan Krusac, and a sturdy leather sleeve from Allegory. I'm always on the lookout for something that looks nice and protects well!

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
I'd love one too.

I think your website's broken at the moment, Kessel - when you go to the payment page it redirects to an Atelier Musubi page that then says your shopping basket is empty. If you then click the continue shopping button it goes to a Shopify page saying that you don't have a website yet.

edit: ignore that, it's the Ghostery browser extension that's causing the problem; the site works fine when Ghostery is disabled.

kim jong-illin fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 12, 2018

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, we’ve been having problems with some blocker systems, especially those that are overly aggressive and/or those that restrict off-site linking. The reason is that Musubi uses its own website as a shopfront instead of hosting on Shopify (which gives us a lot more freedom to make things beautiful without getting locked into their dumb markup language) and only the actual purchase mechanisms are handled by Shopify. Your blocker etc. sees the leap from our website to a number of offsite systems during the checkout process and doesn’t like that.

You’ve discovered it already, but adding an exception usually solves the issue.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Yes, the new brand obsession is coming along nicely.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

You're a better man than I. I hope whoever stole it chokes to death on it.

I ended up sending in a complaint to the Ombudsman after I heard back from the investigator assigned to my case today.

She told me again to have the sender contact USPS, even though I've explained to her 3 times that was a no-go because USPS changed their laws re: Small Packet International a couple years ago, so that was frustrating. She also basically told me that she had done nothing but refresh the tracking screen and told me that there was no way she could look up what driver had been given my package the day it disappeared. That could be true, but overall the investigation didn't seem to do much investigating.

I outlined my frustrations in my complaint and suggested Canada Post update their policies, since I never would have achieved anything if I hadn't literally harassed their Customer Service, phoning multiple times a day in some cases, and visiting several post offices to do my own leg work.

I'm hoping if nothing else that having a complaint put through will avoid any possible problems in the future, assuming this was a "sticky fingers" issue.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

Yes, the new brand obsession is coming along nicely.

Which model is that third in from the right, the rainbow awesome demonstrator?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

MJP posted:

Which model is that third in from the right, the rainbow awesome demonstrator?

One eBay seller listed a few piston fill 309s in the "Fall Gradient" color a few weeks back and I managed to snag one. The real name is actually Autumn Day.

The piston fill ones are gone, but the finish is still available in the 267 model. https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Hot-Penbbs-...3lmvGkm41LesB2g

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kessel posted:

Yeah, we’ve been having problems with some blocker systems, especially those that are overly aggressive and/or those that restrict off-site linking. The reason is that Musubi uses its own website as a shopfront instead of hosting on Shopify (which gives us a lot more freedom to make things beautiful without getting locked into their dumb markup language) and only the actual purchase mechanisms are handled by Shopify. Your blocker etc. sees the leap from our website to a number of offsite systems during the checkout process and doesn’t like that.

You’ve discovered it already, but adding an exception usually solves the issue.

I've disabled uBlock origin in a private browsing session on Chrome, is there anyway to see bigger images of the fabric? High resolution screen makes for tiny image.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I really wanted that Autumn finish but everybody was completely out of them by the time I jumped on the bandwagon. Very sad.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Are PenBBS pens done in single runs where once they’re gone, they’re gone for good?

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

I've disabled uBlock origin in a private browsing session on Chrome, is there anyway to see bigger images of the fabric? High resolution screen makes for tiny image.

We have a zoom feature in dev now. In the meantime what patterns do you want to see blown up a bit?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Platystemon posted:

Are PenBBS pens done in single runs where once they’re gone, they’re gone for good?

I got that impression from sellers--or at least the 308s are like that.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Is $126 a good price for the Pilot Falcon? It's the black/gold one with a 'soft medium nib' if that matters.

I've only been doing this about 2 years (and really only got into it about 8 months ago) and I've started eyeing some of the more expensive pens, and this one in particular is really tempting me. It's the cheapest I've seen it, though admittedly I've not really looked too far, but I also wonder if maybe it's just a shittier old model they're trying to offload or something.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00063NUW6

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Mar 14, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Professor Shark posted:

I ended up sending in a complaint to the Ombudsman after I heard back from the investigator assigned to my case today.

She told me again to have the sender contact USPS, even though I've explained to her 3 times that was a no-go because USPS changed their laws re: Small Packet International a couple years ago, so that was frustrating. She also basically told me that she had done nothing but refresh the tracking screen and told me that there was no way she could look up what driver had been given my package the day it disappeared. That could be true, but overall the investigation didn't seem to do much investigating.

Welcome to bureaucracy my friend! Nobody is ever going to inconvenience themselves with doing any actual work to help you.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

There are multiple types of body for the Falcon - resin and metal. I assume you know that but check which you’re getting

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Professor Shark posted:

I outlined my frustrations in my complaint and suggested Canada Post update their policies, since I never would have achieved anything if I hadn't literally harassed their Customer Service, phoning multiple times a day in some cases, and visiting several post offices to do my own leg work.

I'm hoping if nothing else that having a complaint put through will avoid any possible problems in the future, assuming this was a "sticky fingers" issue.

The bureaucracy is growing to meet the needs of the growing bureaucracy. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble. Don't know about Canada, but in the USA, getting a government bureaucrat to care is a lost cause.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The tell that the Canada Post people are not going to lift a finger to help him is their continued insistence that policy requires him to go through USPS first, knowing full well that USPS's policy is that Canadians aren't their problem.

The bureaucrats on both sides know what they're doing. It's a slick little mutual agreement to help one another avoid doing any work.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Kessel posted:

There are multiple types of body for the Falcon - resin and metal. I assume you know that but check which you’re getting

Yeah, this is the resin one. The metal body appears to be almost double the price.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Is it possible to replace a Levenger nib just with another nib rather than the section? There's an Aero-D on Ebay in M but I'd prefer F, and Levenger's own nibs only come in entire nib + section. A bit overpriced at $25-$30ish. Not sure if they have a standard friction-fit feed or not.

MJP fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Mar 15, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sankis posted:

Is $126 a good price for the Pilot Falcon? It's the black/gold one with a 'soft medium nib' if that matters.

It's a fair price for a falcon. I had one for a few days before selling it as the soft nib felt odd.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

MJP posted:

Is it possible to replace a Levenger nib just with another nib rather than the section? There's an Aero-D on Ebay in M but I'd prefer F, and Levenger's own nibs only come in entire nib + section. A bit overpriced at $25-$30ish. Not sure if they have a standard friction-fit feed or not.

Their nibs are actually a threaded nib assembly, not a nib + section, assuming you're looking at something like this: https://www.levenger.com/true-writer-nib-core-6879.aspx

The black plastic piece is just a shell covering the feed, that whole assembly threads into the section of Levenger pens. You should be able to replace the Aero-D nib assembly with any other Levenger nib assembly. For what it's worth, the internet says Levenger pens (or at least the L-Tech) will also take TWSBI nib assemblies with no modification, and those Jowo nibs are generally better regarded than Levenger's offerings.

My Levenger M doesn't seem to have the problems that seem to be common to Levenger nibs but it's more scratchy than I like. (unrelated, but holy hell is the L-Tech ever a chunky, heavy pen and I love it)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for all the kind words about bureaucracy, guys! I’m still hopeful that my pen might show up, otherwise I’m waiting for TWSBI to release a good color

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Levenger nibs are friction fit and can be removed without replacing the entire nib unit.

edit: A pair of Parker 45s I don't actually remember buying showed up in the mail today.

grack fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Grimey Drawer

grack posted:

Levenger nibs are friction fit and can be removed without replacing the entire nib unit.

MockingQuantum posted:

Their nibs are actually a threaded nib assembly, not a nib + section, assuming you're looking at something like this: https://www.levenger.com/true-writer-nib-core-6879.aspx

The black plastic piece is just a shell covering the feed, that whole assembly threads into the section of Levenger pens. You should be able to replace the Aero-D nib assembly with any other Levenger nib assembly. For what it's worth, the internet says Levenger pens (or at least the L-Tech) will also take TWSBI nib assemblies with no modification, and those Jowo nibs are generally better regarded than Levenger's offerings.

My Levenger M doesn't seem to have the problems that seem to be common to Levenger nibs but it's more scratchy than I like. (unrelated, but holy hell is the L-Tech ever a chunky, heavy pen and I love it)

Is it at all possible to get a replacement nib alone that isn't $25ish? Seems like it's either pay $25 for a Jowo F or $30 for a Levenger F. I was hoping I'd be able to do something like get just a nib rather than the whole assembly, if it's a friction fit feed. (Meanwhile "friction fit feed" is now my new favorite tongue twister)

Edit: oh, cool, this one has an all-black nib... so now the question gets added: is there a replacement all-black F or EF nib? :getin:

Edit 2: Looks like Levenger's a #5 nib, per http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/301868-levenger-true-writer-looking-for-extra-fine-nib/ - does that seem correct?

MJP fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 16, 2018