Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The DVD's out there for the show itself do still look pretty good at least, but drat EoE could really use an official release that isn't terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

In Training posted:

Rebuild 4 is definitely coming out any day now.
I'm excited for it, and I'm excited for Barkley Shut Up And Jam Gaiden 2.

Raxivace posted:

The DVD's out there for the show itself do still look pretty good at least, but drat EoE could really use an official release that isn't terrible.
What's wrong with the blu ray?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The JP blu Ray's look incredible though, they really deserve a official distribution.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Big Word posted:

What's wrong with the blu ray?
I mean, in the US at least EoE only got a DVD release back in like 2002 that was rear end even at the time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Is there a western release for the TV series blurays yet?

Nope. Funi hasn't said anything about them; one of the ADV remnants probably still has the rights.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
EoE's US release in 2002 was spectacularly dogshit terrible. I enjoy dubs regularly, and it was awful to me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They changed the audio design. It's horrific

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

In Training posted:

Splorch.

Hit em again.
AAAAAAAAAA

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Oh god the flashbacks

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

Nope. Funi hasn't said anything about them; one of the ADV remnants probably still has the rights.

The most likely scenario I've heard is that the rights have expired. ADV transferred their rights to Sentai Filmworks and they've probably expired by now because they have not renewed them or done anything.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
from what i recall from something i read on animenewsnetwork, no one has it because gainax, which is basically dead, wants an absurd amount of money for it

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm just sad they couldn't get Tristan MacAvery to do Gendo for Rebuild.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Relin posted:

from what i recall from something i read on animenewsnetwork, no one has it because gainax, which is basically dead, wants an absurd amount of money for it

This is probably very true because back when the license was originally bought, Evangelion wasn't as popular or financially successful as it is now.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

In Training posted:

The thing that really enraged me was the commentary track where I think the dub director was like “lol we put splat noise because it funny lmao”

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
In Death, there's a transition from Kaji's final scene before he's shot to Asuka slapping Shinji when he tries to tell her she isn't there. Kaji delivers the line, cuts to black accompanied by the slap sound effect, Asuka's lines. It's a nice, classy transition.

Commentary track: "We replaced the sound effect with a louder, more beefier gunshot. I mean, the original one sounded like a slap!"

Do not watch the dub or wish for these people to retain the live action rights, they're loving idiots. (Greenwood/Grant specifically)

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If the dub is such poo poo and it has a reputation for being awful why would you willingly choose to watch the commentary track on top of that. You don't need to be a martyr for the sake of anime dub arguments.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Because background noise and I thought it’d be interesting. Plus I like the dub it’s just those awful decisions that I hated

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

It was impressive how they took a well loved VA cast from the ADV release and managed to have them put out one of the worst dubs of its era. They almost should get credit for it.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I thought the dub was good
Though since first watching the dub on VHS no less, I've never gone back to it.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
I grew up with the Eva dub and its voices will always have a special place in my heart, but it's a real mess. They manage to nail some parts really effectively, but it's unfortunately offset elsewhere by some ludicrously corny line readings and outright mistranslations. Watching with the Japanese audio is a far better experience.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My best memory is Spike Spencer at ACen one year doing "WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORE" for a good minute.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I’m fine with the dub and honestly never noticed the weird sound effects until they were pointed out to me, and even then I just shrug it off and watch the one that’s better for being lazy and not reading subtitles the whole time. For the most part the voice acting is well done and gives the emotions well so that’s good enough for me.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, honestly the official release of EoE is a shitpile but the dub is really not the problem. It's bad because the transfer might literally be one of the worst ever used for a commercial DVD.

e: honestly, aside from the weird sound effects I never really noticed a huge gap in quality between the series dub and the EoE dub, they're both pretty much Fine in my estimation.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, honestly the official release of EoE is a shitpile but the dub is really not the problem. It's bad because the transfer might literally be one of the worst ever used for a commercial DVD.

e: honestly, aside from the weird sound effects I never really noticed a huge gap in quality between the series dub and the EoE dub, they're both pretty much Fine in my estimation.

The drastic change in the annunciation of key and well established devices was really jarring. Their voice direction in my opinion feels kinda flat compared to how the cast had rounded into shape by the end of the TV dub.

It isn't helped by the god awful video quality which is true, but I think the dub has issues it didn't need to have given they got the entire cast to do it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

A lot of the English audio issues can be laid at the feet of Rei's voice actor, who was also the script writer, ADR director, and producer of the dub track. There's probably a reason she hasn't voiced Rei since.

TheObserver
Nov 7, 2012

Midjack posted:

A lot of the English audio issues can be laid at the feet of Rei's voice actor, who was also the script writer, ADR director, and producer of the dub track. There's probably a reason she hasn't voiced Rei since.

“If I’m fired, I can be replaced.”

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I've been watching through sailor moon and

Sorry if it's kinda strobe-y

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
:rip: Luna

Famine Poodle
Jul 16, 2011

I have seen all, I have heard all, I have forgotten all.
Whoa nice catch!

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It needs a companion shot of Rei looking on imperiously from the background.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Quick Q: Does anyone know if the original Usenet boards for EVA are still up? Some of them are available after the Google purchase, but some old Usenet boards are apparently gone forever. I'm trying to find the earliest discussion online about the show and figure that's a good place to start.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Unmature posted:

Quick Q: Does anyone know if the original Usenet boards for EVA are still up? Some of them are available after the Google purchase, but some old Usenet boards are apparently gone forever. I'm trying to find the earliest discussion online about the show and figure that's a good place to start.
I have no idea if they are but it would be interesting to know what they said.

If nobody here knows you might try those guys at Eva Geeks Forums, they might have some idea.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Raxivace posted:

I have no idea if they are but it would be interesting to know what they said.

If nobody here knows you might try those guys at Eva Geeks Forums, they might have some idea.

I'm afraid to go there, but I will if I must.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Yeah I don't blame you if you're hesitant. Those people can be a bit...much.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
H-Hey...:smith:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Memes. Memes never change.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

actually memes change all the time

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Stairmaster posted:

Case in point, Eva 3.0

"Maybe we shouldn't get in the robot?"
"I'MA GET IN THE ROBOT!"
"No wait this doesn't feel right"
"ROBOOOOOOOOOT!"
"Shinji wait no wait!"
"AAAAAAAAHHHHH"

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Stairmaster posted:

(warning, this video will probably make anyone watching it angry)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihx0XWhkvmQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda liked it. :blush: