Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

TheKingofSprings posted:

:psyduck:

Quit trolling the anime thread

Goons have this weird idea that free advertising is some grand thing that are always worth it but they never seem to want to prove.

So if you have some evidence show it or stop trolling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Goons have this weird idea that free advertising is some grand thing that are always worth it but they never seem to want to prove.

So if you have some evidence show it or stop trolling.
The question is, why do YOU want Goku's spirit bomb to be weaker? Are you posting from U11?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Nessus posted:

The question is, why do YOU want Goku's spirit bomb to be weaker? Are you posting from U11?

Real fans give their energy without needing to see it.

They just know he needs them

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Seriously, Toei is kind of legally required to be like "please don't break our copyright, thanks". Doesn't matter how much it would be nice if they didn't, they still do.

Now, that doesn't mean Toei isn't absolutely loving terrible about the whole "don't gently caress over your fan base for liking your product" thing. Toei could give their blessing to Crunchroll LA to try to work legally to broadcast it. They could take it over and foot the bill themselves, they can certainly afford it. They could say "we have heard, and are exploring options to make everyone happy" and let it go as-is. There ARE options.

Toei, however, is notoriously conservative and lovely to work with, and thus the future they want is a Frieza foot stomping on the face of joy, forever.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

deadly_pudding posted:

Bear with me now, because it's a bit of departure:

Gilbert Gottfried as King Kai

My book #YouCanTuneAPiano was just released on Planet Vegeta. It's exploded in popularity!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Freakazoid_ posted:

My book #YouCanTuneAPiano was just released on Planet Vegeta. It's exploded in popularity!

I can't imagine a world where King Kai is mean spirited, and yet Gilbert Gottfried.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am having a hard time seeing how this is breaking contracts or how is different than a bunch of buddies getting together at a bar to see a football match or something like that.

Bars have to pay out the ear to show football matches. You can't just use someone's personal Sky password.

Toei are just being responsible, there will be riots when Goku gets his head kicked in and starts crying for Chi-chi to come save him. Stadiums full of people will topple nations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Freeza goes back in time to eliminate all the saiyans, hunts baby Goku first and gets killed when he masters UI retroactively

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Of course Toei was going to say that, but I wonder if they are going to listen to them.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Adnor posted:

Of course Toei was going to say that, but I wonder if they are going to listen to them.

Probably not as there isn’t much Toei can do

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Spicy take: Toei is doing the right thing

Slightly Absurd
Mar 22, 2004

Yeah, can't blame Toei for this one.

If dbz is as crazy popular in South/Latin America as it seems, Toei doesn't really need any "free advertising." It sounds like when someone tries to get artists to do free work by promising them "exposure," and you can't pay the bills or put food on the table with "exposure."

I suppose it could legally work if a venue contacted Toei and promised them X amount of dollars [likely quite a lot,] plus X% of ticket sales or whatever revenue is generated [and thus, charge people admission.]

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Toei probably is not going to be able to enforce much and I doubt the people involved will be happy about this local event suddenly having a pricetag if it didn't already.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Dudes. It's a public airing of a TV series in Latin America. It's popular, but people watching fit in one of two groups: either they've watched the whole thing without paying for it anyway OR they pay for an anime streaming service regardless. It's popular, but there'll be at most a thousand dudes watching throughout Mexico that way plus Crunchyroll doesn't make money thru ads on livestreams.

At most you can defend Toei by saying OTHER people are free advertising via their product.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You can defend Toei by saying “they didn’t give these places the rights to do it so they really should do what they’re doing.” It probably won’t stop things and they aren’t going half as hard as they could, but it needs to be done otherwise what’s to stop somewhere streaming the movie when t comes out

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

TheKingofSprings posted:

And gaining a shitload of free advertising for their show in return because people who aren't directly watching it might show up and become interested and the people who are already entrenched will be talking about it the next day.

"look dude, we're paying you in exposure, you should be grateful that we're letting you do this for us"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I am having a hard time seeing how this is breaking contracts or how is different than a bunch of buddies getting together at a bar to see a football match or something like that.

Bars pay for a license to show that match. Same with UFC/Boxing. Or did you think that when you hop over to the bar to watch the big fight they they just paid $60 for it like everyone else?

e: a quick example that I remembered reading and was able to find - It was thousands of dollars to broadcast the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight at a bar

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Mar 13, 2018

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

This is also probably the first, and potentially only, time something like this is happening on anything outside of a "local anime club" level, which I imagine Toei would quietly overlook if it wasn't being done with ticket sales. So Toei/Funi/whoever may legit have never thought about things like "selling licenses for the finale."

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also to get a little back on track, reckless speculation for the movie: Goku and Vegeta get their tour of the U6 Sadala and then Freeza does Freeza things but Vegeta won't let Goku help so that the U6 Saiyans can do Saiyan things on their own and learn about pride or something.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, after like half Latin American mobilized to watch the ToP finale, it would be plain rude on Toei's part not to have it end with Grande Padre's Angel Revolution reveal.

You took Gohan Blanco from them, at least give them Grande Padre.

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
Meet Toei halfway: Cancel the live showings, use the Dragon Balls to wish back Orson Welles and have him deliver the events of the fight between Goku and Jiren via radio in the same vein as the War of the Worlds incident.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iujy1lodPgM
:lol:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I read downthread from that tweet that a lot of the screenings are being organized by Crunchyroll Latin America, which... is one of the legal platforms

Is Toei saying Crunchyroll isn't allowed to do that and everyone has to go home and watch it on their computer, or is Toei saying screenings not organized by Crunchyroll are bad and illegal?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Does anyone know a way I can show my support for the people of South America and Mexico and tell them to stick it to the man and fuckin party super hard at their DBS mega party cause I'm hella jealous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

graham cracker posted:

Does anyone know a way I can show my support for the people of South America and Mexico and tell them to stick it to the man and fuckin party super hard at their DBS mega party cause I'm hella jealous.

unironically probably the best way is to host your own DBS party

the more DBS parties there are, the more of a motherfucker it'll be for Toei to can them all. Streisand Effect this poo poo.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I read downthread from that tweet that a lot of the screenings are being organized by Crunchyroll Latin America, which... is one of the legal platforms

Is Toei saying Crunchyroll isn't allowed to do that and everyone has to go home and watch it on their computer, or is Toei saying screenings not organized by Crunchyroll are bad and illegal?
I dunno if the deal with Crunchyroll lets them do screenings like that. They're certainly saying the latter; I imagine they're more thinking of "random town's mayor hosts a screening in the town square against the side of a convenient building."

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Nessus posted:

I dunno if the deal with Crunchyroll lets them do screenings like that. They're certainly saying the latter; I imagine they're more thinking of "random town's mayor hosts a screening in the town square against the side of a convenient building."

i guess it depends on how much leeway Crunchyroll has to do promotional stuff, because this is very clearly a promotional tactic

like, here's the thing: yeah, everyone who's watching Dragon Ball Super is going to go to these parties and watch it for free, but there's presumably a lot of people in these countries who haven't been following Super at all (even if they love DBZ- keep in mind how big the gap between end of Z and beginning of Super was). and if they see the last two episodes on a building, and they're dope as hell, there's solid odds they're going to go "oh poo poo i've been missing out" and binge the whole thing legit, which means money to Toei. with the series going on hiatus (which i think we can pretty definitively call this, since the movie's post-Super, the manga's continuing possibly in its own direction, and Toyotaro mentioned new anime) this is honestly probably one of the better ways to get money out of the existing material for them.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i hope all the latin countries do it anyway

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Can Maduro nationalize Goku?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

So, Toei have also confirmed Super is on hiatus and is not finished, so I guess we can look forward to Goku definitely, absolutely, for reals this time opposing the gods in 2019.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

multijoe posted:

So, Toei have also confirmed Super is on hiatus and is not finished, so I guess we can look forward to Goku definitely, absolutely, for reals this time opposing the gods in 2019.

Where dis?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

a neat cape posted:

He started doing a What If series on "what if Radditz turned good" like a year ago and has basically outlined the entirety of Z and Super with Radditz now.
So I watched part 1 of that, and I'll admit it's kinda fun in a fanfic way. But at the same time I am partially embarrassed for him and also charmed by how into it he gets. :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Where dis?

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/03/12/dragon-ball-super-continuing-anime-movie/

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

IcePhoenix posted:

Also to get a little back on track, reckless speculation for the movie: Goku and Vegeta get their tour of the U6 Sadala and then Freeza does Freeza things but Vegeta won't let Goku help so that the U6 Saiyans can do Saiyan things on their own and learn about pride or something.

Universe 6 is gone, bro.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Not for long, obviously

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i know im in the minority but i really love this ending so far, esp everything from the start of u11 v u7. i find jiren really, really great from a design perspective, his combat animation and even his personality. it may be headcanon but the way i see him is someone who sees strength as a means to keep justice - he's like a benevolent dictator who doesn't like to kill BUT believes that his strength is the only thing that keeps this option in place.

i like seeing him slowly change through the fight, going from really wanting to break gokus spirit to respecting him more after the first UI omen (you can tell this, i think, by him initially attempting to blast goku off the stage to later going "i'm not needed for this guy anymore"). similarly he did the same thing with vegeta, he did that blast that almost knocked him off but then after the final flash tank he respected him more when he understood vegeta wasn't as arrogant as he thought, and he specifically didn't knock him off at the edge of the stage. i think these things are important.

jirens also slowly beginning to enjoy the fight, he's gaining the goku infection, esp w/ the recent line "i'll have to respond". his view of strength and power is so different to gokus but its not evil or even really arrogant from what i can see - goku enjoys strength for strengths sake, its a very zen idea. jiren wants to be strong to enforce his endless justice which is also why he was angry at toppo for giving up his ideals but STILL being a loser (and, also, why he respected vegeta for that win more).

the "lament your weakness" line didn't read to me like a villainous, rear end in a top hat line but instead him saying "this is what happens when heroes arent strong enough" - he's pissed off at goku and vegeta for wanting to be heroes but being too weak to protect their universe, just like he was in his backstory.

also last note but if they characterized toppo a LITTLE less obviously-justice obsessed it would have been incredible if he was the Evil Doer from the backstory. it would parallel vegeta and goku's relationship - i bet a lot of fans would write off the idea but it's kinda easy to forget that like, just a few years ago vegeta was blowing up stadiums of people and threatening to blow up the earth and now he's a loving father lol.

all things said i love DB, i love DBZ, i love DB super and it was such a blessing for me to have my favorite show from my childhood brought back in a way that really felt good to me. i'm glad it'll keep going

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hi Broly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBXQlpvPa54

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Did not see his one cool spinkick where he puts his arm on the ground, 0/10 trash garbage DLC.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
He’s laughing and having a good time

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
https://www.facebook.com/ArmandoCabadaOficial/posts/1649957205112096

to tired to translate, but the Ciudad Juarez event is kinda backpedaling. They're going forward with doing an event that'll have everything needed, and even include a cosplay contest, but the governor is saying that proper documentation will need to be submitted and implies that lies on someone else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Can't wait for the mod on the pc for Kale.