Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

There's also a caffeine one, but it's just a 1-0-0-_.

Caffeine should be listed as 'safety gear' for how many murders have been prevented by that wonderful little molecule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

2-0-0 SA is this very common molecule

CO2

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Yes?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Your posts are only a 2.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:downsrim:

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
And you're common.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cartoon posted:

And you're common.

At least they're not basic

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

At least they're not basic

Not, but they need to be sequestered before they poison the conversation. Tired of toxic toxicity. First thing, it feels like the fit right in, then you're all short of breath and BAM! You're unconscious.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Samizdata posted:

Not, but they need to be sequestered before they poison the conversation. Tired of toxic toxicity. First thing, it feels like the fit right in, then you're all short of breath and BAM! You're unconscious.

Look, at least he gives a warning unlike his little brother, CO.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Intoluene posted:

Look, at least he gives a warning unlike his little brother, CO.

CO is just a clingy little bastard, loves that drat hemoglobin too much.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
A friend of mine had to go to the hospital recently to get a nasty cut stitched, only they didn't stitch it instead used some cyanoacrylate glue. I was curious as to the difference between the stuff used for he would and he crazy/super glue from Office Depot.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The medical kind has octyl or butyl side chains instead of methyl or ethyl side chains to reduce irritation. The difference between butyl and ethyl cyanoacrylate glues is probably not large.

Arglebargle III has a new favorite as of 05:00 on Feb 28, 2018

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

funmanguy posted:

A friend of mine had to go to the hospital recently to get a nasty cut stitched, only they didn't stitch it instead used some cyanoacrylate glue. I was curious as to the difference between the stuff used for he would and he crazy/super glue from Office Depot.

Same stuff, it was used in Vietnam as a spray adhesive to close wounds.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The stuff found in a store generally has something to warm it up to set faster in it that can irritate skin and the medical stuff does not. Generally you don't want to use store bought stuff to stitch up a wound since there is a risk of infection or a nasty contaminant in the glue.

However I've used nail glue to do just that after slicing my palm open to the point I had fatty tissue poking through. I was broke as poo poo, had no insurance or job (I got hired like 3 days later :v:) and didn't relish sitting and bleeding all over a hospital waiting room for 3 hours just to get minimal care and add to my medical debt for the privilege. That said, I keep a tube in my first aid kit because its handy to have when its an emergency.

Elmnt80 has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Feb 28, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Is the hospital stuff any different than the nu-skin/liquid bandage stuff sold at pharmacys?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zil posted:

Is the hospital stuff any different than the nu-skin/liquid bandage stuff sold at pharmacys?

The stuff I use is nitrocellulose, but Wikipedia says that a variety of polymers are used in different products.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Elmnt80 posted:

The stuff found in a store generally has something to warm it up to set faster in it that can irritate skin and the medical stuff does not. Generally you don't want to use store bought stuff to stitch up a wound since there is a risk of infection or a nasty contaminant in the glue.

However I've used nail glue to do just that after slicing my palm open to the point I had fatty tissue poking through. I was broke as poo poo, had no insurance or job (I got hired like 3 days later :v:) and didn't relish sitting and bleeding all over a hospital waiting room for 3 hours just to get minimal care and add to my medical debt for the privilege. That said, I keep a tube in my first aid kit because its handy to have when its an emergency.

I think the ER used that stuff (whatever they use in the ER) on my ear plus a few stiches when I got my earring caught on my car door getting in and ripped the lobe in half. Not to worry though because I had insurance, but it was billed as 'elective cosmetic surgury out of network' so my HSA got hit for like 3k anyways.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Elmnt80 posted:

I've done the same thing myself. Sliced my finger open; although it wasn't quite that deep (about 1/4",) it was bleeding all over the place. Pressure to close the slice, alcohol wipe to clean it up, superglue to close it, and it was good as new. Reapplied daily for a couple of weeks until it actually mended.

Well, my fingerprint is misaligned on that finger now, but almost good as new. :v:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Zil posted:

Liquid bandages are meant for abrasion wounds not lacerations

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

I've done the same thing myself. Sliced my finger open; although it wasn't quite that deep (about 1/4",) it was bleeding all over the place. Pressure to close the slice, alcohol wipe to clean it up, superglue to close it, and it was good as new. Reapplied daily for a couple of weeks until it actually mended.

Well, my fingerprint is misaligned on that finger now, but almost good as new. :v:

Your finger's not hosed up, you have a provably unique biometric identifier.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So evidently the nerve agent used in the attack on the former agent in the UK was "rare." Only thing I can think of is something new or they decided to crack the seal on some Novichok 5 or 7.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So evidently the nerve agent used in the attack on the former agent in the UK was "rare." Only thing I can think of is something new or they decided to crack the seal on some Novichok 5 or 7.

That surprises me. Why not just use one of the classics instead of showing off?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Nerve agents are a special kind of terrible for me. Acetycholinesterase inhibitors in particular are the pinnacle of :stonklol: Take the entire disease progression of tetanus (2-3 weeks), condense it down to ~10 horrible minutes, and voila! You've got a real party cooking at that point.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They probably know exactly what it is but don't want to name it because "security".

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

That surprises me. Why not just use one of the classics instead of showing off?

Because its a political murder. Plausibly deniable in public, very clear to anyone else who might want to make similar decisions.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

They probably know exactly what it is but don't want to name it because "security".

Normally I'd agree, except the assassination of Kim Jong Nam with binary VX didn't really faze people, so if it was Sarin, Cyclosarin, or R-VX, you'd think they'd be a bit more forthright.

Plus, given the fact that a large number of people have been treated for mild exposure makes me think that this was meant as a statement. Unless it's something brand new, which makes publicizing it problematic politically.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Welp, May just confirmed the Russians used Novichok: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/novichok-nerve-agent-what-is-it-russian-spy-poisoning-sergei-skripal-a8252426.html

I guess the North Koreans made VX all "old news" and Putin felt like showing off.

BIG HEADLINE has a new favorite as of 22:25 on Mar 12, 2018

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

if anyone wants some free radioactive material signs with trefoil, I can hook you up. We've closed 4 sites and the radiopharmacy loves sending them over and over as stocking stuffers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Welp, May just confirmed the Russians used Novichok: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/novichok-nerve-agent-what-is-it-russian-spy-poisoning-sergei-skripal-a8252426.html

I guess the North Koreans made VX all "old news" and Putin felt like showing off.

CWC schedules gonna get updated pronto.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

BIG HEADLINE posted:

poo poo makes the stuff I work with look like loving glucose.

shalafi4
Feb 20, 2011

another medical bills avatar

Asproigerosis posted:

if anyone wants some free radioactive material signs with trefoil, I can hook you up. We've closed 4 sites and the radiopharmacy loves sending them over and over as stocking stuffers.

I can haz sign(s)?

shoot me a PM or username @ gmail.com

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Asproigerosis posted:

shalafi4 posted:

I can haz sign(s)?

shoot me a PM or username @ gmail.com
Same. How big are we talking? Palm-sized stickers, or something I need to nail up?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Asproigerosis posted:

Can you send me one too? I'll PM you an address if so.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Asproigerosis posted:

I'm interested!

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Asproigerosis posted:

I'd love one. That sounds like an awesome thing to stick on my desk at work.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Asproigerosis posted:

I'll take one for my uranium glass collection.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Asproigerosis posted:

Any chance of getting one to Europe? PM or henrikstevn at the Google mail dot com.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Asproigerosis posted:

Would like one as well, PM with details.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to have one too, but I suppose shipping it to Europe would be :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I am also interested, but I also want to know how big the signs are.