Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm kinda not the biggest fan of the last few long sketches barring Hellshake Yano being just basic, kinda dull genre pastiches coasting on the fact that Popuko and Pipimi are here, they don't belong here, that's funny! It doesn't feel like it's playing to the strength of the source material.

This isn't to say that I'm not still enjoying the show, and I'm aware of this episode's being a VA joke, but it feels like it's lost something. Maybe it's just that it's 10 episodes in and the element of surprise is gone.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Caithness posted:

Isn't it a direct reference to Jojo's Bizarre Adventure OPs?

Directly so, Also Kamikaze Douga are the creators of the Jojo OPs so there's another tie in there.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Madtrixr posted:

Directly so, Also Kamikaze Douga are the creators of the Jojo OPs so there's another tie in there.

expected a lot more of this to bleed over than did

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
I liked how the victim left a dying message, fingering the culprit, but everyone completely ignored it.

The mafia skit was fantastic.

And I like the intro animation of Lord Takeshobo.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blattdorf posted:

I liked how the victim left a dying message, fingering the culprit, but everyone completely ignored it.

To be fair, there was a possibility the murderer could have just written somebody else's name using the victim's finger, but i chuckled.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Blattdorf posted:

Nobody was named Okami.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

CannonFodder posted:

Nobody was named Okami.

Okami is a landlady or a woman running an establishment.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Lurking Haro posted:

Okami is a landlady or a woman running an establishment.
Ahh, all I knew of Okami was it's the name of a vidya game with a good dog. I just compared Okami to the list of names right before Pipimi catches the culprit. Thanks.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
https://twitter.com/solitaire_jand/status/972763892974694401

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Still has better animation than the original.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The title of the mystery skit is also “Ginza Hostess Detective ep. 10: Mystery at the Hot Spring - The Crime and Punishment of the Young Inn Madam”, just in case you couldn’t figure out who did it before the detectives did.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm kinda not the biggest fan of the last few long sketches barring Hellshake Yano being just basic, kinda dull genre pastiches coasting on the fact that Popuko and Pipimi are here, they don't belong here, that's funny! It doesn't feel like it's playing to the strength of the source material.

This isn't to say that I'm not still enjoying the show, and I'm aware of this episode's being a VA joke, but it feels like it's lost something. Maybe it's just that it's 10 episodes in and the element of surprise is gone.

I think side B worked much better for this episode than side A

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I want more of this.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Probably my least favourite episode so far, but the SFX intro on the second half definitely makes it still worth it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If I knew who that was, that would probably still be unimpressive.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Please post better in this forum, thank you.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

the battle without honor or humanity segment was comedy gold

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean, yeah, they still have really good moments. I think the show is just kinda becoming formulaic.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the formula is They Do A Joke and I Laugh.

Gets results every time

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

If I knew who that was, that would probably still be unimpressive.

Speaking ill of anime VOs is truly the greatest of crimes.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Don't post in this forum only to complain about probations, thanks, who what now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i legit thought they were sincere posting and hell i agreed

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I think side B worked much better for this episode than side A

absolutely, i was actually kind of eh about the episode, and then the adlibbing about the detective pulled me back in.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

I loved that the murderer confessed not because of the guilt of taking a human life, but because she ruined someone else's vacation. That saved the bit for me.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

hoobajoo posted:

I loved that the murderer confessed not because of the guilt of taking a human life, but because she ruined someone else's vacation. That saved the bit for me.
Nah I think the best part is where Pipimi offered her a beer once she gets out of her sentence

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Still thinking about hellshake yano

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I could not stop freaking out at young Joseph’s english, it constantly blew my mind

the va tried really hard but ... the cadance(?) was really off

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
It's kinda funny how some skits turn out great in the dub(male version of the Thunder skit for example), and some just don't work(the Marilyn Monroe skit)

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

drrockso20 posted:

It's kinda funny how some skits turn out great in the dub(male version of the Thunder skit for example), and some just don't work(the Marilyn Monroe skit)

Marylin Monroe was just 2 VAs adlibbing wasn't it? Translating ad libbing directly feels like it misses the point

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The simuldub was a bad decision.
Theres just no time to put in a good localization effort. There are some skits that absolutely wont translate over well due to being very japanese pop culture, but a lot of things could be adapted or changed.

Like "Machu pichu of japan" could have just been "Machu Pichu".

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 15, 2018

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wait what the gently caress

I'm not complaining, it's a good av and I was gonna change it to a Pop Team one anyway.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
https://twitter.com/Cosmikaizer/status/964863089630834688

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
SCIENCE

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The song at the start is familiar I just can't remember the source.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

AC-bu gets it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

The song at the start is familiar I just can't remember the source.

It's part of the OP song they didn't use in the normal OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bl1ZI-J6hM

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wow, this week's sketch was the real fuckin' nadir of what I was talking about. It was basically played completely straight and Popuko and Pipimi had like two spit second appearances.

E: What. Okay, I see now.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Mar 17, 2018

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Sosogu :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yeah what the gently caress happened in Girldrop?