Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

speaking of anime adaptions, the chimera ant arc of hunter x hunter kinda turns into a slideshow presentation once they infiltrate the palace. been a while since I read the manga so I assume it's just being faithful to the source material, but it kinda feels like they ran out of money with all this narration over still images

still good tho. episode 116 is some top tier poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Netero vs Meruem is my favourite animated fight

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

EmmyOk posted:

Netero vs Meruem is my favourite animated fight

The animation in the Chimera ant arc is great I don’t know what he is talking about to the Narrator mostly exists to explain what is going on which hurts the pacing a bit but doesn’t actually replace anything.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I never said the animation was bad? like yea it looks great when things move but if you think there isn't a stretch of episodes that's 70% or more just still shots with narration then you're wrong

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

I never said the animation was bad? like yea it looks great when things move but if you think there isn't a stretch of episodes that's 70% or more just still shots with narration then you're wrong

I don’t think that happens no.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

speaking of anime adaptions, the chimera ant arc of hunter x hunter kinda turns into a slideshow presentation once they infiltrate the palace. been a while since I read the manga so I assume it's just being faithful to the source material, but it kinda feels like they ran out of money with all this narration over still images

That actually happened in the comics, though? Like there was this extended sequence, perhaps a chapter or two long or so, where the palace infiltration scene was just narrated over without any dialogue from the characters, and it actually comes across amazingly well in the manga.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

DrSunshine posted:

That actually happened in the comics, though? Like there was this extended sequence, perhaps a chapter or two long or so, where the palace infiltration scene was just narrated over without any dialogue from the characters, and it actually comes across amazingly well in the manga.

I already said that in my first post about it

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don’t think that happens no.

then you're wrong, sorry. go watch the chimera ant arc when they infiltrate the palace

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

y'all should maybe calm down on assuming I don't like this or don't know what I'm talking about because I already said it's good!!!

Manatee Cannon posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I literally just did.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ok then it's probably impossible for me to have any kind of real discussion with you about it because I just don't believe you, sorry

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

ok then it's probably impossible for me to have any kind of real discussion with you about it because I just don't believe you, sorry

I mean same or maybe you just were actually reading the manga and got confused

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's fair :shrug:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Okay I feel bad so my point is Not that think it doesn’t happen but I don’t think it goes on long enough to be a slideshow. It’s a couple minutes at most.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

that's also fair

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres a few panning shots as stuff gets explained but it kind of has to be like that, it's not that they 'ran out of budget' (which isnt how anime production works lol) but that the chimera ant infiltration places a huge amount of emphasis on the relative time of certain actions. it's what characters base decisions on, it's what drives a lot of the tension. in a manga, they can literally just pause the action to explain someone's powers or strategy midfight. shoot stands on his cage, pop up a text bubble explaining it. the reader reads the text, but they don't take the text as any amount of time passing, because it's in the same panel as the single action of shoot on his cage.

in an anime, the relative amount of time for the explanation, in-universe, has to be the same - zero - but an explanation actually takes physical time in real life. so the only way to bridge that disparity is to have a complete freezeframe, in order to make sure the viewer knows that they aren't just staring at each other while time passes, but rather time isn't passing at all.

a good example of this is the entire sequence with killua and ikulgo passing each other in the hall, if you've gotten to that yet. the entire sequence is built on the tension of an action that only takes two seconds, but explaining why these actions are important takes several minutes in an anime, while it just takes a few walls of text accompanying the illustrations in a manga.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Mar 18, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah that is why 90% of the time the narrator comes out time freezes, unless the scene has a lot of down time to fill

Like a scene were a character is falling.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the budget thing was a joke endorph. clearly I could have explained myself better but this whole explanation is a little condescending :v:

I get why it happens and I get that it happened in the manga because I read that, which I said. my only point was that the pausing happens a lot over the course of a few episodes; that's literally it. I'm sorry that it came out badly. I'll try to think my posts through more in the future so we can all avoid this

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
I think it's only really bad/noticeable if you binge watched it like I did, I still loved it overall.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

New We Never Learn! (That's the official name on the merch, god drat it Jaminisbox stop using 'We Can't Study.')

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/we-can-t-study/en/0/55/

Fantastic chapter, so many cute faces. Say it.

Also, in case anyone finds the featured game to be a bit far-fetched, I can confirm it's a real thing! My old third year students were playing it at lunch shortly before they graduated, although they played to laughter rather than blushing. I lost too, so I feel you Nariyuki.

I love this manga. :allears:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

One of my favorite aspects of the Chimera Ant arc is how the King is ultimately "defeated" by the lingering radiation from a pseudo-nuclear bomb. Like, he comes back to life and it seems like a typical shounen "the enemy survives a super strong attack!" situation, but then he just gets sick and dies. At the end of the day, the protagonist's giant power up accomplishes almost nothing.

In general there are so many great and unique thing about HxH compared with not just other shounen manga, but a lot of other manga period. There are so many ways Togashi could have taken an easier route with the plot/characters and still had a very successful manga, but even now he continues to take the plot in unpredictable directions. New characters are constantly introduced in every arc, old characters leave, and the setting is constantly transforming. To take the current arc as an example, there was no need for him to come up with such a complex and involved scenario; HxH is already massively popular, and he could have just gone directly to the Dark Continent or something. But he still came up with this really interesting scenario and a giant new cast of characters.

I guess the best way to describe it is just "creative." It feels like a shounen that gives minimal consideration to the tropes and commercial demands of the genre, and has massively success despite (or perhaps because of) it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if pitou had been able to return to the king she would have just died the same as the other royal guards. gon taking pitou out of play probably saved the lives of quite a few people, but it would have been the same result for the ants regardless.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The Viz Translation of Ziga's first chapter is out.

Conclusion: Kinda grim, kinda interesting, not what I thought it'd be.

Hachigane, the protagonist- is a high schooler (naturally) that keeps having extremely vivid nightmares about dying during a massive kaiju attack. He's nice/self-deprecating, has a neighbor girl who is the typical girl-bestie that everyone else clearly sees as his not-official girlfriend, and is mysteriously very good at just about everything.

He's approached at school one day by a strange man claiming to represent and organization that deals with anomalous events and beings. He makes two things clear:

1. Hachigane has what he thinks is supernatrual abilities- namely spidey-sense that borders on clairvoyance and above average physical abilities- so he wants to hire him as a 'soldier'.

and

2. The Kaiju he keeps incessantly having nightmares about is very real and just destroyed a small island that had a hidden US naval base. He knows about Hachigane's nightmares because he found sketches of the kaiju he had made before and they match it perfectly. He warns him the monster will show up on the mainland soon according to their projections.

He gives him his business card and lets him know that he'll seek him out sooner or later. There's a scene where the girls in his class give him gifts (Valentine's Chocolates I think, but not specified). He gives a gift to his neighbor girl and asks if they can hang out somewhere on their day off. He goes to meet her the next day, and after seeing a ~mysterious girl~ who seems to know who he is he suddenly has a vision of the Kaiju attacking where they are. Of course, this happens. The Kaiju shows up and starts wrecking poo poo, and pretty nastily kills a bunch of people (like you literally see a dude's head explode and some civvies get exploded into paste). The Kaiju marches back into the sea and Hachigane tries to work his way out of the wreckage. He finds the brutally crushed body and severed arm of his neighbor girl still clutching the present he got her and screams- possibly implying a transformation or something. That's the end of the chapter.

I'm kinda meh on the "magically talented protagonist" and secret organization stuff since I was kinda thinking it was a disaster survival story but the disaster is a Kaiju and that sounded way more interesting but there's some definite edge factor. The on-screen deaths in just the first chapter are pretty nasty for WSJ.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
First-chapter fridging, excellent

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Captain Invictus posted:

First-chapter fridging, excellent
Unless it's a headfake. The severed arm definitely seems to belong to her, and there's a shot implying he's looking at her utterly crushed corpse under some rubble. She's in the freaking promo image though which is odd.

Jorenko
Jun 6, 2004

I think you're just mad 'cause you're single.

Fabricated posted:

Unless it's a headfake. The severed arm definitely seems to belong to her, and there's a shot implying he's looking at her utterly crushed corpse under some rubble. She's in the freaking promo image though which is odd.

Smells like a setup for time rewinding powers to me.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Jorenko posted:

Smells like a setup for time rewinding powers to me.

I feel like I've read a comic with a premise like this. Maybe a manhwa webtoon? I think it involved a world where everyone has a spirit animal and his childhood friend girl is killed by a monster and he rewinds time somehow? I can't remember many details, other than the fact I thought it was better than I expected it to be.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like I've read a comic with a premise like this. Maybe a manhwa webtoon? I think it involved a world where everyone has a spirit animal and his childhood friend girl is killed by a monster and he rewinds time somehow? I can't remember many details, other than the fact I thought it was better than I expected it to be.

I doubt it's one of these, but just off the top of my head there's Saike Mata Shite mo and Girls Go Around.

It's a fairly common premise, I think.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Autonomous Monster posted:

I doubt it's one of these, but just off the top of my head there's Saike Mata Shite mo and Girls Go Around.

It's a fairly common premise, I think.

I had forgotten about "Saike Mata Shite mo," but yeah I was thinking of something different. After googling I found it - http://www.webtoons.com/en/fantasy/flow/list?title_no=101&page=1

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
oh, i thought flow was kind of underwhelming but since it is complete i might give it another shot. webtoons that come to a proper end are rather rare.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

oh, i thought flow was kind of underwhelming but since it is complete i might give it another shot. webtoons that come to a proper end are rather rare.

I remember not being blown away by it but still being kind of pleasantly surprised by some things and generally finding it pretty solid. I seem to remember it having a kind of nice romance that isn't with the more predictable/"obvious" character.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

This manga about crane games just popped up on Jamini and it's weird as gently caress, but I love the art so I'm very much down with it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

This manga about crane games just popped up on Jamini and it's weird as gently caress, but I love the art so I'm very much down with it.

It's the uratarou artist who has a neat distinct style but uratarou got axed hard and the ending was real bad because of it. I'm surprised but happy they got a new series pretty fast, it's a funny and weird concept and the revolt scene was really good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Ziga feels like an All you need is kill kinda setup.

I'm pretty sure time travel or dream premonitions or something are in play here.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

kidcoelacanth posted:

that seems like a one-shot

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

kidcoelacanth posted:

his last work Uratarou was cancelled and had a rushed ending (but was so good before you could tell the editors had stepped in on earlier chapters and told him to make it more compelling), and nejimaki kagyu translations have ceased

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Don't know if it's been mentioned or not but of the recent anime adaptations being revealed; an adaptation of Kazuhiro Fujita's "Karakuri Circus" has been announced. It's going to be handled by Studio Voln (who adapted Ushio & Tora). As of now all we have is a PV consisting of manga panels and the voice actors have not been announced although there are auditions for the role of Masaru Saiga going on.

Here's hoping for a good adaptation, and maybe someone will pick up the manga translations either on an official capacity, or picking up where the previous scanlator dropped off.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
God loving hell yes I loved the manga, it ended on such a high note.

gently caress yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
too bad about the circus arc, though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ushio & Tora was pretty loving good so adaptation quality should be a non-issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Ahahahah holy poo poo, Noah's Notes added an antagonist organization which I was annoyed by for precisely the 2-3 pages it took to reveal what it is.

Since the "notes" are basically from the not-future, they've been known of for hundreds of years apparently. The organization that Noah is part of isn't the only person hunting them because they can be used to predict the future or create advanced technology.

The organization that is the main antagonist to Noah's is The loving Knight's Templar. Also, they possess one of the most enigmatic notes- the HOLY GRAIL.

-

For Ziga: it got less interesting IMO.

The MC can't confirm that his friend-girl's body is there because there's so many crushed bodies under the wreckage he pulled her arm from that he can't find a recognizable body. He buries her arm and starts trying to help survivors when remnants of Ziga apparently left behind in the attack start trying to eat people. The mysterious organization shows up and starts fighting them, the stone-cold-bitch stereotype soldier girl drops her weapon (which is apparently special) and in a fit of anger the MC fires it at the monster. The stupid "Flash Waves" power he has activates the weapon and obliterates it.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 27, 2018