Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Carth Dookie posted:

I'm trying really hard to sell my bandit so I can get an SV like that but all the potential buyers in my city are jerks and don't know a good deal if it walked up and bit them in the face. <:mad:>

Try adding this to your ad:

NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As can be seen from Harley's sales numbers, they're all dying off now and all the new people are getting Rebel 500s and Ninja 300s. So it'll change. Even BMW is making a 300 now, they haven't made one that small since like 1967. Not Harley though, their "entry level" bike is still $7000 and 500lb.

Well, they tried the Buell Blast once. I guess they forgot they should also make an 'entry level' bike actually good.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Dutymode posted:

Really I just want Kawasaki to make a Z400RS

Why can't they make a Z650RS? there is no sane reason other than "lol kawasaki". In the case of the 400, a stylish, beautiful learner bike to get women, millennials and other attractive demos to them just makes too much sense.

Basically I want them to RS everything.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
H2 RS

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

RS cafe in US - when? :bahgawd:

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me

Slim Pickens posted:

Try adding this to your ad:

NO LOWBALLERS I KNOW WHAT I GOT

Just like every Bandit ad in Texas...

dema
Aug 13, 2006

New headlights, more aggressive handlebar and new seat. Very pleased.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That looks really good. That is probably the second striple I've ever been into. Those lights really transform everything, and the seat looks comfortable and fast.

Wait do your bars go straight across no bend?!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

From earlier in the week. 101 to 199 into Oregon then I5 back to the bay area.
Crossed off 46 states now.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

dema posted:

New headlights, more aggressive handlebar and new seat. Very pleased.

I put a similar bar on my FZ; it was a Rizoma drag bar. I like the position better when you're hunched forward a bit.

Clutch cable routing was kind of a pain in the dick tho.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yup, that’s exactly what I got. More aggressive but still handles the slow stuff well and is comfortable to me. Honestly, still pretty relaxed compared to my CBR.

Coydog posted:

Wait do your bars go straight across no bend?!
Thanks.

No rise, a bit of sweep though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

That is how the striple should look from the factory. Very nice.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

From earlier in the week. 101 to 199 into Oregon then I5 back to the bay area.
Crossed off 46 states now.

Hey so I just got a first go on an adventure 990 a little while ago. Is your engine also completely useless under 5,000 or is that just an efi thing? Seemed like it was only happy when you were raping the poo poo out of it and super grumpy when lugging which seemed really at odds with the purpose of the bike. It was like the smallest, weediest feeling ~1000cc twin I've ever felt.

Awesome chassis though, never backed it in on an ADV before :getin:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Hey so I just got a first go on an adventure 990 a little while ago. Is your engine also completely useless under 5,000 or is that just an efi thing? Seemed like it was only happy when you were raping the poo poo out of it and super grumpy when lugging which seemed really at odds with the purpose of the bike. It was like the smallest, weediest feeling ~1000cc twin I've ever felt.

Awesome chassis though, never backed it in on an ADV before :getin:

I've yet to ride a 990a to compare. EFI on them sucks out of the box and they're on different cams. some guys can fix throttle snatch problems but not fueling, or vise versa, others put 950 carbs/cams on them. Using SD cams in the adv will absolutely neuter the midrange in favor of top end as well. my 950 can lug similar to a thumper and not give a poo poo. 'raping it' is more fun though.

it backs in surprisingly well loaded too...

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Must be an efi thing cause it honestly felt like I was gonna damage it if I wanted to do anything at low revs. Heaps of bucking and surging and horrible grindy noises. Seemed like a sportbike engine in an ADV.

Good to know it wasn't broken though. Literally nobody here including the dealer knows anything about lc8's and if the average Ducati is any indication, most owners aren't discerning enough to care about fuelling maps and poo poo or even notice the engine running abnormally.

It's amazing how big a difference cams can make to the character of an engine. I know one guy with a 1340 Harley with a ludicrous cam + some other minor stuff and it absolutely refuses to Harley. Nothing under 2-3,000rpm and a huge bellowing hit up top right before it throws the crankpin down the road.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

[...]completely useless under 5,000 [...] Seemed like it was only happy when you were raping the poo poo out of it

I thought that was just KTM things in general?

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
back in action...one month early~

went above 70F in MA yesterday so I had it reinsured and went out for a very careful afternoon ride until I called it a day right before rush hour for obvious reasons.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

It was 80 in the mid atlantic. I rode 380ish miles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Man what the gently caress. 80 degrees in February on the east coast, and last night it was 38 degrees here in SF

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

M42 posted:

hellyeah... <3 it

hope next few weeks aren't slow torture as ofc it will be snow and icing in a few hours...

i think i ended year 1 w/ 7700mi

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

The angle of all these pics makes your V look like some kind of weird thumper. Where's the downpipe for the rear cylinder?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Behind the piece of the frame that runs down behind the motor on an angle. All SV’s are like that.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
PX'd the vstrom and picked this up
2007 Honda Hornet/599, 10K on the clock.

Isolationist
Oct 18, 2005

The implication.
How goddamn huge are number plates where you are?!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Oh, about that big I'd say

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

They need them big for all the annoying gatsos...

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Liking that Hornet!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
A couple weeks back I had to get out and took my grom up to the mountains for some twisties and off roading. 45 minutes of highway each way, no less. Did fantastic at everything except the mountain twisties, for which it was too anemic.

The trails were the muddiest I've ever seen them.

Sometimes I'd have to check depth with a stick and then just power through the puddles.

It got really gnarly for most of it, especially on something so small. This is one of the easy sections where I could stop.

Bonus waterfall. Riding through this cleaned some mud off.

Then, a week after, I went back up there on my DR with my buddy. He had just purchased my old WR250x from the guy who I sold it to, and had never been in the mountains, or off road. I gave him the grand tour, and he did fantastic.

The parabellum rally screen really stays out of your way off road. I loved it, and was glad to have it given how cold and windy it was.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You're a goddamn hero.

Or an idiot.

Or both?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Groming right IMO.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Found a nice pine forest with my dentist-bike riding friends after a couple hours riding

lilbeefer fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 24, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Me and my brother went for probably the last winter brappo this weekend. We had -5c weather, but finally the siberian cold front we've had here for the last 3 weeks got weakened. +5c and melting today.

Mine is the black one.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

-A n i m 8-
Feb 5, 2009

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Sorry for crappy pic was at the dealer but I bought this yesterday. Ninja ex400

I only went in to sit on one, which turned into a test drive, which made me fall in love. Then all the other pieces I was sure to stop an immediate sale fell in place. I even got 0% APR financing lol - something thats never happened to me in my life. It was just meant to be. All during a workday too lol.

Exhaust has got to go, ordered something else, and plate arm delete thing.

Also will be selling a SV650S with handlebar conversion in Dallas soon

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Wow two SHARRRPPPP grey bikes in a row. I love how muscular, yet compact the FZ07 looks. Gotta ride one one of these days.

1gnoirents- That's a beautiful bike, congrats!!! Since you are going from the SV to the EX400, I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare. Seems like a step down, or laterally, power to weight wise. What drew you to it? What's it like?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I only went in to sit on one, which turned into a test drive, which made me fall in love. Then all the other pieces I was sure to stop an immediate sale fell in place. I even got 0% APR financing lol - something thats never happened to me in my life. It was just meant to be. All during a workday too lol.

Niiice. I'm desperate to have a go one one; the wheelbase is something retarded like 35mm shorter than a 300 and it's lighter. The last few pieces that the 300 was missing look like they've fallen into place with these, might finally be a worthy contender for the RC390.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

1gnoirents posted:

I assume with financing you probably have to have full coverage and collision on it, no? Would you mind sharing what your premium is? As a 30s male in Texas it feels like just getting liability and uninsured driver insurance is pretty high for my SV650S relative to what my super Moto was.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

MetaJew posted:

I assume with financing you probably have to have full coverage and collision on it, no? Would you mind sharing what your premium is? As a 30s male in Texas it feels like just getting liability and uninsured driver insurance is pretty high for my SV650S relative to what my super Moto was.

$450 a year for full coverage, with a DWI on record (Progressive). I do plan on paying it off within 6-12 months anyway and dropping down to liability, which was $77 a year.

edit: I should note I picked a plan with $1000 deductibles. $500 and $250 effectively doubled twice iirc.

Coydog posted:

Wow two SHARRRPPPP grey bikes in a row. I love how muscular, yet compact the FZ07 looks. Gotta ride one one of these days.

1gnoirents- That's a beautiful bike, congrats!!! Since you are going from the SV to the EX400, I'm really curious to hear your thoughts on how they compare. Seems like a step down, or laterally, power to weight wise. What drew you to it? What's it like?

I wanted something a little lighter and nimble without having to go to chintzy on the rest of it, while reasonably accommodating 6'2" 220lbs. This fit the bill and I knew within minutes on the bike. I typically commute just 5 miles with no highway and the SV was getting a little annoying maneuvering the area. But mainly I wanted to rework the SV suspension for my weight, get new tires and a new chain, and I also wanted to rebuild the rear caliper. I thought about all that and decided to go look for a new bike instead to see if anything would compel me. Something did - haha.

The SV is fine though. It sounds great and has ... a wholly different class of torque compared to the 400, while no surprise it is a jarring difference. The SV (at least this one) feels very raw under WOT. I dont think anything could make this 400 feel like that. I'd keep it even but its much smarter for me to sell it and put that towards my new principal. Unfortunately it was originally wrecked and rebuilt with a salvage title so I'll get to see just how fun that is to sell.

One major standout is how much the 400 wants to lean in. Its literally like an extension of my brain going around corners. The SV doesnt even get close to behaving the same way for me.

edit:

Just a pic of me pulling in tonight. Big brother little brother? Grumpy uncle and peppy nephew? Yeah I like that one.

So long SV, you did me well.

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
The FZ3 and the EX400 are both sharp looking bikes. As a current FZ8 owner and former EX500 owner, I'd probably be happy riding either one of those.

Congrats!