Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
It depends on your character too, as some are more item dependent than others. Ultimately money will make your life easier as items aren't including when calculating scenario difficulty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It's pretty rare you have a straight choice between money and experience, though.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Gort posted:

It's pretty rare you have a straight choice between money and experience, though.

Playing a card for some EXP versus grabbing another coin?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
If you're on a spot where a monster is supposed to spawn do they spawn adjacent or not at all?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KingKapalone posted:

If you're on a spot where a monster is supposed to spawn do they spawn adjacent or not at all?

misguided rage posted:

spawned enemies will place themselves as close as they can but basically can't be stopped from appearing. Summoned enemies need an empty space adjacent to the summoner and won't try to place themselves further away.
eg you can stop oozes from splitting by standing on hexes next to them but if the scenario says "at the start of each turn one skeleton spawns near altar" then that skeleton is going to appear regardless.

Also you need to be careful about whether things can act on the turn they appear.

It's pretty inelegant and confusing.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Is it like opening a door? They always get a turn even if their initiative has already passed?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Ancient artillery suck major butt, but this rock monster ain't tripping :toot:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

KingKapalone posted:

Depends.

Spawning: Monster spawned by the scenario effect. This monster will spawn, regardless of if you block the spawn hex. They will spawn at the closest hex

Summoning: Monster summoned by another monster. This monster will not spawn if there is not an empty adjacent hex or there are no standees. Summon monsters never act the round they are summoned, and they do not drop money on death.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Robot Danger posted:

Do you guys find that money makes you more powerful than experience since the levels are always scaling?

I'm trying to decide between a few scenarios that feels like they're offering that choice.

FWIW I am one tick away from prosperity 2 and have no idea what future items to expect, but my gut tells me rocking some bling will be better long term.

Yeah, for sure. Money is also the only way to enhancements, which are sweet, and you need a lot of it for them. Perhaps a bit too much, I think.

KingKapalone posted:

Is it like opening a door? They always get a turn even if their initiative has already passed?

Spawns:

"If a monster is spawned at the end of a round, it will begin to activate on the
following round. If a monster is spawned during a round, it activates as if it had just been revealed (see
Revealing a Room on p. 19 for details)."

Summons:

"Summoned figures never take a turn in the round they
are summoned. Summon kills are credited to the owner of the
summon."

It's good to get the rules in pdf format and just search for stuff like this.

pokie fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 16, 2018

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

pokie posted:

It's good to get the rules in pdf format and just search for stuff like this.

There's a really good rule summary I have printed out too I found on BGG. It's 11 pages, pretty much all the rules on 8 pages. Last three is a glossary.

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/142767/rules-summary

Says this nice and simple

Summon [p31]
✓ Place Summon in empty hex (Pressure Plate ok) adjacent to the summoner and as close as possible to enemy (players decide ties)
• Can’t summon if no empty hex or no available standees
• Summons by monsters not removed if the summoning monster dies [FAQ]
• Monster Summons behave exactly like normal monsters, using the Monster Ability Cards of their type
• Monster Summons from player mind-controlled monsters are not mind-controlled [FAQ]
• Monster Summons do not act (nor gain bonuses from their ability card) on the same round as they were summoned, they will act in the next round during their normal Initiative order

As you can see it even tells you which page to reference.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Do random dungeons count as scenarios? The rulebook doesn't ever use the word "scenario" in describing a random dungeon.

The reason I ask is that someone in my group is asking if they can donate to the church to get blessings for the random dungeon we're running tonight. My guess is that the answer is "no" but you guys know way more than I do. :)

For context, we've never done a random dungeon before.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Do random dungeons count as scenarios? The rulebook doesn't ever use the word "scenario" in describing a random dungeon.

The reason I ask is that someone in my group is asking if they can donate to the church to get blessings for the random dungeon we're running tonight. My guess is that the answer is "no" but you guys know way more than I do. :)

For context, we've never done a random dungeon before.

They do not count. You don't road event before them. You don't go back to Gloomhaven after, so don't do 2 city events between real scenarios.

I don't think you are supposed to. But

You only get to give to temple once per trip to Gloomhaven. If he really wants to house rule it but make it clear he doesn't get to give before the next real level where it's probably more useful.

Think of them thematically as a flashback. You get some xp and remember you have some gold...But they shouldnt effect where the team is now. (Unless you level or retire from killing that last whatsit I guess)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Thanks. We're not house ruling it. He's not worried about it he just wanted to know.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Contrary to a lot of the thread, I've (spoilers for most unlocks) found the Quartermaster to be the most powerful class, outside maybe the Bard, though there are a few we haven't played much with yet. Quartermaster just scales so well with gear - at this point we are at prosperity 7 or 8 and have so many options. All of the items that are free to use just feel like they break the action economy in half if you can recover them.

It also makes the automatic nature of advantage/disadvantage hover between frustrating and hilarious. I had to stop my party from strengthening me once I realized that by far the best cards in the deck are +0 (the recover item ones). I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't shock me if a full deck QM would rather have disadvantage than nothing because the advantage/disadvantage automation considers those the worst cards in the deck other than the miss. It makes me tempted to house rule player advantage to player choice just so it remains a thing you want to have.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are you sure you're playing it right? +0 and do a thing is ambiguous compared with +2. You take whichever one you flipped first.

Ultiville
Jan 14, 2005

The law protects no one unless it binds everyone, binds no one unless it protects everyone.

Jabor posted:

Are you sure you're playing it right? +0 and do a thing is ambiguous compared with +2. You take whichever one you flipped first.

You're right, I was doing it slightly wrong, but I don't think that changes a ton - it still gives a 50% chance to miss an item regain.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
So I'm at a point where we have two options going forward and I really want to do one scenario more than the other, but the other has an ancient technology reward. Are there enough that I'll get the 5 somewhere else for the card or are there only 5?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gejimayu posted:

So I'm at a point where we have two options going forward and I really want to do one scenario more than the other, but the other has an ancient technology reward. Are there enough that I'll get the 5 somewhere else for the card or are there only 5?

You don't have to constantly press forward. You can go back to do missions you passed up previously, so long as you aren't locked out of them due to conflicting achievements. Whenever you unlock missions you unlock all of them except in a couple of situations where the book will be very clear about it.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
So my group got its first retiree last night right at the end. Quick question, do unlock classes start with any equipment? I didn't see any listed on the character card and that's the only place I could think to look.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Losem posted:

So my group got its first retiree last night right at the end. Quick question, do unlock classes start with any equipment? I didn't see any listed on the character card and that's the only place I could think to look.

You get starting gold to spend. The formula is 15 x (L+1) where L is the new character level.

Edit: bottom of page 42 in my 2nd ed rulebook.

plester1 fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 19, 2018

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Losem posted:

The starting class classes don't get starting equipment either, just some recommended ways to spend their starting level+1x15 gold. You probably have a better feel for the game at this point than you did at that point to figure out what to buy, and the game doesn't know what equipment you've unlocked to recommend.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Losem posted:

Characters start with (L+1)x15 gold where L is their starting level (which is the same as the prosperity level of Gloomhaven). This includes starting characters, but the starting characters also have recommended equipment (which all costs 30 gold I think). So they can get whatever items they want with however much gold they have.

I just unlocked my second character, no one else has unlocked one yet. I used casual mode a lot on my last character (saw) cuz I didn't love him, but he was definitely growing on me by the end. I like this current character a lot I think (Angry face, I haven't palyed with him yet). Sadly I think I'm going to play through this character really quickly because my current retirement goal is Watch two other players meet their personal quests. My other two players are really close..

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Started my Sun yesterday and drew the "kill one of each element demon" life goal... right before jumping into the rift and challenging the Primal Demon. That was quick.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
So me and two of my friends are going to play our first game this weekend, and they are going to be playing scoundrel and mind thief. I am turn between cragheart and spellweaver, which do you think would synergize better with the scoundrel and mindthief?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Probably the Cragheart, since that party configuration has no healing and the Cragheart is a much beefier class than the Spellweaver.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

A question, and a bit of a whinge.

Can you poison or otherwise put negative conditions on inanimate objects? Like if the goal is to break something with a lot of hitpoints that is not a monster, can I stick poison on it to make the job go faster?

I just finished up my first personal goal of the game, and all the other players have completed about two and a half of them in that time. By the time I finished, I had levelled from level 1 to level 9, and I had every perk I could possibly earn. I'm gonna spoil the rest 'cause it's a specific whinge about the personal goal:

It was the "witness your party members get exhausted 15 times" one. I picked it first 'cause I figured we were just learning the game and we'd fail a lot, but nope, we've only actually failed a mission one time. I was really close to just deciding that I had met the goal and retiring the character by the end of it, and we cheesed it a bit at the end by having characters wait around to exhaust rather than completing the mission - I didn't want to tell the rest of the party that we should jack up the difficulty just so we can fail. Judging by the other personal goals, I think something like witnessing 6 exhausted party members would be closer in duration to them, and that'd be pretty bad in a smaller-party game.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug

Gort posted:

Can you poison or otherwise put negative conditions on inanimate objects? Like if the goal is to break something with a lot of hitpoints that is not a monster, can I stick poison on it to make the job go faster?

From the faq:

"Are obstacles with hit points considered enemies? Can they poisoned, wounded, etc.?
Obstacles with hit points are technically considered enemies for all ability purposes, but they are immune to all negative conditions."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Gort posted:

I just finished up my first personal goal of the game, and all the other players have completed about two and a half of them in that time. By the time I finished, I had levelled from level 1 to level 9, and I had every perk I could possibly earn. I'm gonna spoil the rest 'cause it's a specific whinge about the personal goal:

It was the "witness your party members get exhausted 15 times" one. I picked it first 'cause I figured we were just learning the game and we'd fail a lot, but nope, we've only actually failed a mission one time. I was really close to just deciding that I had met the goal and retiring the character by the end of it, and we cheesed it a bit at the end by having characters wait around to exhaust rather than completing the mission - I didn't want to tell the rest of the party that we should jack up the difficulty just so we can fail. Judging by the other personal goals, I think something like witnessing 6 exhausted party members would be closer in duration to them, and that'd be pretty bad in a smaller-party game.

That goal sounds absolutely horrible and I think it should not exist.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

On the other hand, very interested to play the dude it unlocked the Sawbones

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah pretty much everyone is saying that goal should at the least be halved especially for 2p.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Personally, I haven't had too much trouble convincing people to up the difficulty in order to get more money, completely aside from retirement goals.

We're still batting 100 on missions, though we've recently had a couple of nailbiters...

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Ultiville posted:

Contrary to a lot of the thread, I've (spoilers for most unlocks) found the Quartermaster to be the most powerful class, outside maybe the Bard, though there are a few we haven't played much with yet. Quartermaster just scales so well with gear - at this point we are at prosperity 7 or 8 and have so many options. All of the items that are free to use just feel like they break the action economy in half if you can recover them.

It also makes the automatic nature of advantage/disadvantage hover between frustrating and hilarious. I had to stop my party from strengthening me once I realized that by far the best cards in the deck are +0 (the recover item ones). I haven't done the math, but it wouldn't shock me if a full deck QM would rather have disadvantage than nothing because the advantage/disadvantage automation considers those the worst cards in the deck other than the miss. It makes me tempted to house rule player advantage to player choice just so it remains a thing you want to have.

We have unlocked most classes and, yeah, this one is the most broken. have you tried the turn one win combo yet?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I just started that goal with my Sun.

Suffice it to say I don't mind it as I'm hoping to play this character for a while. Question tho:

What Exhaustions count? We all 3 of us exhausted, me first, the first time I played the Sun, and I don't know whether to check off 0, 1, 2, or 3 counts. 0 wouldbe mine doesn't count and any after mine don't either. 1 would be mine does, ones after don't. 2 would be mine doesn't, ones after do. 3 would be both do.

loving oozing grove

pokie posted:

We have unlocked most classes and, yeah, this one is the most broken. have you tried the turn one win combo yet?

Elaborate please? that class has a bunch of degenerate (i.e., literally infinite absent outside interference) combos, but nothing I'd class as turn one win, even when comboed with autokill non-losses on allies.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
After playing Gloomhaven for months as a solo game, I brought it over to a friend's house on his birthday and played three-player for the first time. They loved it and now I'm thinking of making a support character for the first time, since now my dude wouldn't be handicapped by the low character count. Among those I've unlocked that I haven't played yet, I've got
1. tinkerer
2. three spears
3. sawbones

Of the three, 1 doesn't look all that interesting to me, 2. is weird and degenerate and probably not what I should be exposing a couple of new people to (also he'd be starting at C.level 1 with 30 gold albeit at prosperity 6). And uh, I don't know about 3, actually, one way or the other.

The other party members a mindthief and a cragheart. They were joined by the Metal Face yesterday, my guy MF Doom, but I can use him any day. This is my chance to play one of these other dudes.

e: Never mind, it's option three.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 20, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You might want to re-read the rules for starting level and stuff. Unless you're suggesting you deliberately want to start the new guy off at a lower level for simplicity's sake.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jabor posted:

You might want to re-read the rules for starting level and stuff. Unless you're suggesting you deliberately want to start the new guy off at a lower level for simplicity's sake.

Yep, we're all keeping it simple at level 1, new party sheet, playing casual mode but still following the story and the scenario unlock path. In a perfect world we'd be playing real-rear end campaign mode with an unmarred copy, but that'd mean buying another one and I'm not made of money. poo poo's creeping up on $200 these days, right? But it's not so hard to simulate a new game. If they're still into it after a few weeks, I'm going to offer to reset the decks and unlocks and such, and then we can just basically do campaign mode from the start, never mind the rules. Nothing I can do about the stickers, but nbd, cragheart is loving his seven-hex curse card.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Mar 20, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

thespaceinvader posted:

I just started that goal with my Sun.
Elaborate please? that class has a bunch of degenerate (i.e., literally infinite absent outside interference) combos, but nothing I'd class as turn one win, even when comboed with autokill non-losses on allies.

Prepare for madness. Spoilers in link below. OP's last strategy describes the BS I was talking about.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1813301/triple-arrow-class-most-hilariously-broken-class-c

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

pokie posted:

Prepare for madness. Spoilers in link below. OP's last strategy describes the BS I was talking about.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1813301/triple-arrow-class-most-hilariously-broken-class-c

And then there's a stun trap in your way and you get murdered. Or a faster monster than you and you get murdered.

It's super dumb and degenerate but it's not an automatic instant win everything.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Does the Spellweaver card that recovers lost cards also work for lost items (like Cloak of Invisibility)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

Does the Spellweaver card that recovers lost cards also work for lost items (like Cloak of Invisibility)?

No, consumed items don't go to the Lost pile. Reviving Ether only picks up...I guess you can call them Skill Cards? The cards you play for your actions.