Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

effika posted:

My HVAC dude just took a Sharpie and wrote the correct amperage on the fuse. It was pretty funny and the code enforcement guy took a picture of it for their Wall of Shame. (I regret using the lowest bidder on that replacement so much.)

That's fantastic.

My house is only 25 years old so it doesn't have a lot of problems. A couple of cosmetic things like a ceiling bit needing to be replaced (I learned about Teflon tape from that!) and other fairly minor things that came from me being a first time homeowner.

Our inspector was good and he definitely did not pull permits. I'm not even sure if he'd have been able to get them in the month or so between offer acceptance and closing. How long does that usually take?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

shortspecialbus posted:

Our inspector was good and he definitely did not pull permits. I'm not even sure if he'd have been able to get them in the month or so between offer acceptance and closing. How long does that usually take?

Around me, you just go to the local Code Enforcement Office, ask for the file on a particular property, and look through it. If you see anything interesting, ask the office to make a copy for you.

Most of the municipalities around me are pretty small (20-50k), so it may be more complicated in larger places.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Nothing wrong with that, the switch is on and there's power?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes

:byoscience:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Don't doxx me tia

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Oh god

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
Ah, the old spicy switch-plate trick...

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
I tasked my husband to remove or replace the garbage disposal (it was leaking out the electrical cord exit) because he had time to do it this week and I don't think I should have let him, as he hired some random guy from Thumbtack.

Gravity isn't a thing and pipes don't need to connect apparently. (Yes that is a drop getting ready to fall from the pipe gap.)

This is how the guy left it and my husband paid him for this.

I am a scary regulatory authority person (health and food) who sometimes crosses paths with other construction-y inspectors and I figured you all would get a kick out of this. My husband is a bookish library worker so confrontation isn't really his thing.

I would fix it myself but husband needs to learn to stand up for himself and that plumber needs to lose money tomorrow on appointments he can't keep to fix this.

effika fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Mar 19, 2018

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

effika posted:

I tasked my husband to remove or replace the garbage disposal (it was leaking out the electrical cord exit) because he had time to do it this week and I don't think I should have let him, as he hired some random guy from Thumbtack.

Gravity isn't a thing and pipes don't need to connect apparently. (Yes that is a drop getting ready to fall from the pipe gap.)

I am a scary regulatory authority person (health and food) who sometimes crosses paths with other construction-y inspectors and I figured you all would get a kick out of this. My husband is a bookish library worker so confrontation isn't really his thing.

I would fix it myself but husband needs to learn to stand up for himself and that plumber needs to lose money tomorrow on appointments he can't keep to fix this.

Yes, berate your bookish librarian into standing up for himself. For his own good. :psyduck:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

effika posted:

Wow. Let's see...

1. uphill drain
2. no coupling on the uphill drain
3. no slip washer on the uphill drain
4. no slip nut on the uphill drain
5. not a baffle tee
6. clamping the poo poo out of a disposal connector instead of installing more drain hose
7. no air gap (but it looks like that was a problem beforehand and that might not be required where you live)

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 20, 2018

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My favorite part is that a new disposal would have likely been a drop-in replacement. Removing it was literally more work.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

kid sinister posted:

Wow. Let's see...

1. uphill drain
2. no coupling on the uphill drain
3. no slip washer on the uphill drain
4. no slip nut on the uphill drain
5. not a baffle tee
6. clamping the poo poo out of a disposal connector instead of installing more drain hose
7. no air gap (but it looks like that was a problem beforehand and that might not be required where you live)

You forgot:

8. Uphill drain has been almost totally severed a couple inches away from the tee

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
It’s just an inefficient and poorly installed trap guys!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Garbage disposals always seem to me like far more trouble than they're worth.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I've never heard of one in any context other than it breaking.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Javid posted:

I've never heard of one in any context other than it breaking.

I mean people probably don't talk about their trash cans, either, because who cares unless there's something dumb that happened to it

I've had garbage disposals in every house/apartment I've lived in since I was like 12 and never had an issue with them clogging or breaking because my parents taught us all what you could and couldn't do with them :shrug:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Pretty much. I've had a bunch and only one gave me trouble because I let a brass 3D printer nozzle fall into it one time and didn't fish it out for a week because :effort:.

Even the cheapest one is a godsend for old food and cooking garbage. The fact that they create pressure at their outlet has also helped clear a few clogs in rentals. Clogged P-trap? Fill both sides with water, put a plug or toilet plunger (most of which are actually sink plungers because people are terrible) on the non-disposal side, run the disposal. POOF clog cleared.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'd rather spend the money on a disposal than have to have one of those mesh traps in the sink drain that you constantly have to clear out when washing dishes.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Garbage disposals definitely get hosed up because people put things through them that they shouldn't.

Besides the obvious (bones, etc.) you should avoid, as much as possible:

- Eggshells
- Flour (what happens when you mix flour and water?)
- Coffee grounds
- Basically anything else you shouldn't be putting down the drain anyway. I've had to deal with a lot of aquarium gravel, and even a drywall screw or two.

And a lot of people don't think to leave the water running for a bit to flush things through after you shut off the disposal.

e:A lot of people are also unaware that quite a few have built-in breakers and a reset button on the bottom of the unit, or the fact that most of them can be turned manually from the bottom with a 1/4" allen key to clear light jams/rust seizing (I think all In-Sink-Erators have this. They come with a tool from the factory that always gets lost.)

Farmdizzle fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 20, 2018

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Farmdizzle posted:

Garbage disposals definitely get hosed up because people put things through them that they shouldn't.

My garbage disposal specifically said that it can grind most bones. I have yet to test this assertion.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'd rather spend the money on a disposal than have to have one of those mesh traps in the sink drain that you constantly have to clear out when washing dishes.

You change it once a day (or once every two days) after doing the dishes, they cost 100 yen for a pack of like 50, and there are no moving parts to break or get gummed up :psyduck:

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

kid sinister posted:

Even if local code doesn't call for an air gap, there should at least be a high loop, which there obviously isn't.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

My garbage disposal specifically said that it can grind most bones. I have yet to test this assertion.

Yeah, some of the newer, heavier-duty models are probably ok with it i suppose. But for people with your run of the mill 1/3hp construction grade unit, I'd probably avoid it.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Farmdizzle posted:

- Eggshells
- Flour (what happens when you mix flour and water?)
- Coffee grounds
- Basically anything else you shouldn't be putting down the drain anyway. I've had to deal with a lot of aquarium gravel, and even a drywall screw or two.

And a lot of people don't think to leave the water running for a bit to flush things through after you shut off the disposal.

Also potato peels or anything else that's extremely starchy/fibrous, but yeah

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Weatherman posted:

You change it once a day (or once every two days) after doing the dishes, they cost 100 yen for a pack of like 50, and there are no moving parts to break or get gummed up :psyduck:

That and it takes all of 5 seconds to tap it out in the trash.

They're awesome for lav/tub drains for keeping hair out, too.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

dobbymoodge posted:

You forgot:

8. Uphill drain has been almost totally severed a couple inches away from the tee

See #2

Farmdizzle posted:

Yeah, some of the newer, heavier-duty models are probably ok with it i suppose. But for people with your run of the mill 1/3hp construction grade unit, I'd probably avoid it.

The Will It Blend? people need to make a garbage disposal.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 20, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

A what now? I'm about 100% certain most of the world manages just fine without either.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Doesn't garbage disposals create a huge rat problem in the city due to all the foodscraps being flushed down?
Never had one, and dumping food into the sink drain here is frowned upon because of said rats then getting food. Norway if it matters.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Using your disposal for anything beyond small bits is uncivilized and I won’t hear of it.

Compost your scraps you heathens.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Dunno-Lars posted:

Doesn't garbage disposals create a huge rat problem in the city due to all the foodscraps being flushed down?
Never had one, and dumping food into the sink drain here is frowned upon because of said rats then getting food. Norway if it matters.

I haven't heard of rats, but I've definitely heard of a lot of cities having 'fatberg' issues with drains getting clogged because people run enough grease down them to build up and block them.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Never had one of those either and don't really like the sound of it...

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Never had one of those either and don't really like the sound of it...

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london/whats-on/exhibitions/fatberg

:britain:

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

kid sinister posted:

See #2

The Will It Blend? people need to make a garbage disposal.

Have you met the muffin monster?

https://youtu.be/1HwiLUVblAs

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guess I shoulda quoted but I meant the garbage disposal, sounds like a bad idea to put all that stuff down the drain, and I get horror visions of the kids sticking their fingers in.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Guess I shoulda quoted but I meant the garbage disposal, sounds like a bad idea to put all that stuff down the drain, and I get horror visions of the kids sticking their fingers in.

A few years back when I worked for an importer someone ordered one of those garbage disposals and after looking we found one place in Finland that sort of allowed their use

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

It's not a blender. There is a spinning disc on the bottom with some impellers that throw the food against a grinding ring that is along the side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGhdHzjn9R8

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I had to replace my garbage disposal a bit back. I ended up getting one that's supposedly better for septic tanks, as it has some additive or other for it. We don't stuff enough down it for it to really matter much, probably, but I would MUCH rather have a garbage disposal than not have one. Just for small bits of crud or whatever I don't have to empty out the drain screen, and stuff that may pass through or around the mesh is going to get chopped up rather than run through the pipes, potentially causing a clog further along the line somewhere.

It's not the end of the world not to have one, but they're definitely convenient to have. Just don't treat them like a garbage can - they're for little extra food bits, not dumping half a plate of food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Liquid Communism posted:

I haven't heard of rats, but I've definitely heard of a lot of cities having 'fatberg' issues with drains getting clogged because people run enough grease down them to build up and block them.

Yea, but that's not really a garbage disposal problem since you can dump grease down any old drain.

I've had a disposal in my house practically my whole life. I actually get really annoyed not having one because then you have to scrape off bits into the garbage. I have learned not to go hog wild with it though and dump big stuff down the disposal. I've also gotten a lot better at composting, which takes care of a huge amount of my food waste anyway, but if you don't have a garden, then composting is pretty pointless.