Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

And Yuzuki would rather not do something like that to her friends, lest she lose them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Also, they're all big dummies in the best way. :kimchi:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
This is still the best show with the best girls.

That "Raccoon Eyes" tan is a real thing and it's just as hilarious in real life, but because sun protection quickly becomes a health and safety issue places like McMurdo have suntan dispensers the same way that a hospital has hand sanitizer dispensers. But they also have the hand sanitizers too right next to them.

And for a bit of theorycrafting: Since there hasn't been an EP with the girls ending up in a major storm yet, and considering they're clearly going to go to where Shirase's mom died, I think next EP is going to involve a similar situation. Bad storm, someone goes out, is feared to be dead, but comes back for the happy ending.

Also an excuse to share these videos of a Condition 2 storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nP44yX21rQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Ivp4NWBDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUES1UC2NS8

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Requesting status update for characters in OP :kiddo:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

StandardVC10 posted:

Requesting status update for characters in OP :kiddo:

Ugh, fine.

I'll warm up my print screen button.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Crain posted:

Ugh, fine.

I'll warm up my print screen button.

Thank you. :neckbeard:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Crain posted:

That "Raccoon Eyes" tan is a real thing and it's just as hilarious in real life, but because sun protection quickly becomes a health and safety issue places like McMurdo have suntan dispensers the same way that a hospital has hand sanitizer dispensers. But they also have the hand sanitizers too right next to them.

And for a bit of theorycrafting: Since there hasn't been an EP with the girls ending up in a major storm yet, and considering they're clearly going to go to where Shirase's mom died, I think next EP is going to involve a similar situation. Bad storm, someone goes out, is feared to be dead, but comes back for the happy ending.

Also an excuse to share these videos of a Condition 2 storm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nP44yX21rQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Ivp4NWBDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUES1UC2NS8

My theory:

Solar storm.

They foreshadowed this by talking about the aurora, and regretting that they won't see it because of being there in summer. But what would make things bright enough to see an aurora? A solar storm.

I don't know how much trouble this would cause for them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Crain posted:

Meh. The girls are alright.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

I couldn’t help but note how Shirase was just casually referred to as Takako and Gin’s daughter. Guess they decided to say it outright, then.
Mahjong lesbians strike again.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Hmm, checks out.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Look, I understand you want to show the MCs' faces, but please have them wear sunglasses because HOLY gently caress DOES SNOW HURT YOUR EYES EVEN WHEN OVERCAST.

e: I shoveled for a few minutes once on an overcast day and when I came in after there were spots in my vision because snow is that bad. A bright winter day way outclasses any bright summer day.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 20, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

also

I'M NOT CRYING YOU'RE CRYING :cry:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I keep saying variations of this but: that was so good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

That counter...Wow. You could see it finally hit her as the number climbed higher. Hopefully this can give her some closure in her life.

edit: Oh gently caress. I think we just learned why she tried to go back to the station.

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Mar 20, 2018

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
TEARS.

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.
Onions so powerful they affect us through the screen.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

gmq posted:

I keep saying variations of this but: that was so good.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

That was some perfect payoff.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Having this episode in the same 7-day timeframe as the last episode of Violet Evergarden is some cruel poo poo, I tell you what :qq:

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!
That was painful :saddowns:

Also That's a sturdy drat laptop not only able to charge the battery but power on after sitting for 3 years in Antarctic temperatures!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Shuffle posted:

That was painful :saddowns:

Also That's a sturdy drat laptop not only able to charge the battery but power on after sitting for 3 years in Antarctic temperatures!

If there was no condensation in the electronics, and it was carefully warmed back to normal-ish operating temperature, it might be believable. Batteries drain faster at lower temperatures, but they should also degrade less I think?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress. gently caress. I ain't crying. I. AIN'T. CRYING.

We knew. We knew, and it still loving hurts. Goddammit. :cry:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nielsm posted:

If there was no condensation in the electronics, and it was carefully warmed back to normal-ish operating temperature, it might be believable. Batteries drain faster at lower temperatures, but they should also degrade less I think?

Antarctica is a desert, so a laptop would probably be fairly safe from moisture. It's possible they had the charger (or a compatible one) on hand as well.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This isn't the last episode is it? :cry:

Shuffle
Feb 3, 2011

DEA Sloth!
No Fast Movements!

Electric Phantasm posted:

One more next week

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Electric Phantasm posted:

One more.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wonder what we're in for next week? This felt like it largely finished the last real hanging plot thread in Antarctica, and a full episode feels like a long time to spend on epilogue...

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wonder what we're in for next week? This felt like it largely finished the last real hanging plot thread in Antarctica, and a full episode feels like a long time to spend on epilogue...

My speculation, and my speculations are typically inaccurate, is that the dangling plot thread is Shirase's relationship with Gin. There was a specific moment where Shirase considers her mother with Gin in the Snowcat, that seems to be a reminder of that.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mm. Maybe.

Feels like Kimari might be due for something big, but I can't say what that might be. She started off as our protagonist, but she's felt a whole lot like a support character since the trip started. An important support, but still.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

After some Shirase + Gin I think we'll get some Kimari development since so far all the characters have had at least two episodes focused on them and their personal problems, except her.

Hinata: Passport episode and the new year broadcast
Yuzuki: Her first episode and the one with the friendship contract.
Shirase: She has been a part of almost every episode but she's the one who set up the whole thing in motion so it makes sense. I think the passport episode and this one are the ones where she gets the most character development though.
Kimari: Same as Shirase but her strongest episode so far was when she forgave her friend. That's a lot of episodes without her being the main focus.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Much like Violet Evergarden last week you knew this was coming from episode 1 but it still hit like a hammer. Strong stuff

I suspect we'll get a Kimari epilogue next week or bits of the main cast when they get back home. It seems for the most part we should be done in Antarctic for the main plot

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
who got all this dust on the episode.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

paragon1 posted:

who got all this dust on the episode.

Cold, dry winds will def. make your tear channels ramp up production.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I couldn't handle a single thing about the end of this episode.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
what a loving episode, jesus

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
The scene where Shirase lays out each of her bills and says what she did to get it was a hell of a powerful scene.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
The password was Shirase's Birthday for those wondering.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

ah god I'm a fuckin wreck

Good stuff.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
Goddamn, that was the most emotion I've felt from an anime episode in a long time. Full body chills when Her emails keep piling up and she absolutely breaks down .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
jesus loving christ that episode was amazing and sad