Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I mean even if that's a very good candle, which is extremely unlikely, it's going to burn down to the hook and fall into the tub in about two hours. Probably much faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

The Bloop posted:

I mean even if that's a very good candle, which is extremely unlikely, it's going to burn down to the hook and fall into the tub in about two hours. Probably much faster.

It's just a proof-of-concept for when he ties an butane torch to the showerhead.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This may be the gooniest thing I've ever seen.

I appreciated it.

The topic was bathing and hygiene, so probably not the gooniest.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Bloop posted:

Failsafe to force people out of the shower by automatically turning off the hot water! :eng99:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Brother bought a home that turned out to be a mobile home finished in a way to hide that fact.”

quote:

My brother bought a home, on a foundation, that was made to appear as a regular home. The previous owner went to great efforts to hide the fact the home was a mobile home on top of a foundation. Even the inspector didn't mention it. Though, after we found out through further inspection of our own, the inspector said he had suspicions, but not enough to warrant mentioning it.
The appraiser said similar, but that she noticed it was a mobile home and that we were paying about 50k above what the home would normally go for, but that 50k could be considered the high-end of the appraisal and didn't warrant special attention. When we contacted her again after finding out about the mobile home, she said if we wanted to sell the home that we would probably lose 35-50k because of this fact.
I was just wondering if the previous owner was legally required to disclose this information, and/or does he have any recourse due to the new findings of the house being a mobile home?
Thank you very much for taking the time to read and answer my question.

quote:

You really wouldn't believe the lengths the owner went to in order to make it appear as a raised ranch. Stucco over the entire exterior, a complete kitchen, living room, and dining room remodel. The bedrooms don't look as much were done to them, but I can't tell a mobile home bedroom from a regular home's.
The giveaway was the furnace, the garden tub in the master bath, and upon further inspection the attic crawl space.
We're unsure when the updates were made, but it doesn't look like all of them were done right before the sale, as there is some weathering. Though, intentional for the sale or not, my brother and his family have immediately suffered a massive loss in home value. I would imagine that if he were to sell, knowing that it's a mobile home, he would have to disclose such information. Being the honest guy he is, he would disclose it anyway.

Zillow listing with photos

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Platystemon posted:

“Brother bought a home that turned out to be a mobile home finished in a way to hide that fact.”

For a scam, that looks incredibly well finished.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

That's actually pretty impressive.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Mobile homes aren't a thing here so can someone please explain why they're inherently lovely? Is it just their association with poverty, or do they come alive at night and eat your children?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I think that house stretches the definition of "mobile" quite a bit.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

quote:

Even the inspector didn't mention it. Though, after we found out through further inspection of our own, the inspector said he had suspicions, but not enough to warrant mentioning it.
Either that's the laziest inspector ever ("gently caress it, can't be bothered mentioning I think it's a mobile home") or they didn't notice either and just pretended they did.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That can't possibly be a mobile home. It has a FINISHED BASEMENT.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
It's probably just the realtor pictures doing their job, but I honestly wouldn't mind living there. Maybe not at 280K but 200, perhaps.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I want that basement bar.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, it's not a "Queen of my Double Wide Trailer" mobile home, but a manufactured home that's been upgraded quite a bit.

GotLag posted:

Mobile homes aren't a thing here so can someone please explain why they're inherently lovely? Is it just their association with poverty, or do they come alive at night and eat your children?

Historically they're not as high quality, and the association with poverty. These days you can get a stud framed house that's built in a warehouse and trucked to the site in pieces that's not too far off quality-wise from a site-built house. You're obviously more limited in floor plan when building that way, but the finished product isn't necessarily that far off from an economy built ranch on a slab.

EDIT: And honestly, it's not too hard to tell that home is a manufactured home. The obvious seam running down the middle of the house, the 26 foot width, relatively low ceilings in all the rooms, and the lack of an attic are pretty dead giveaways.

EDIT 2: It's also not really so much a "hidden mobile home" as it is a "well finished manufactured home".

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 22, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Historically they're not as high quality, and the association with poverty. These days you can get a stud framed house that's built in a warehouse and trucked to the site in pieces that's not too far off quality-wise from a site-built house. You're obviously more limited in floor plan when building that way, but the finished product isn't necessarily that far off from an economy built ranch on a slab.

EDIT: And honestly, it's not too hard to tell that home is a manufactured home. The obvious seam running down the middle of the house, the 26 foot width, relatively low ceilings in all the rooms, and the lack of an attic are pretty dead giveaways.

EDIT 2: It's also not really so much a "hidden mobile home" as it is a "well finished manufactured home".

Yeah, some manufactured homes are pretty nice, but I've also been inside some doozies that meet or exceed the stereotypes associated with them.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

This could almost be some weird piece of urban art. Put an artist's nameplate on it and no one would bat an eye.

First of May
May 1, 2017
🎵 Bring your favorite lady, or at least your favorite lay! 🎵

I wish I could afford something as nice as that here in Silicon Valley. $280 and it's $50 over valued, jfc. 😣

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

GotLag posted:

My great aunt lived in a mobile home for about 30 years of her life before she broke her hip and went to a nursing home. Her house was immaculate and full of plants and flowers. She was well known for her African Violets. It looked like a grow op on her back room with all the violets under grow lights. She had a very nice flower and vegetable garden. The outside did get ratty but was repainted several times, I re-decked her deck twice, the trailer had to be re-roofed once. The plumbing was atrocious. Still, it was always nice. Some of her neighbors in the park, less so.

I think the issue is just that mobile homes are made very light and non-durable. It takes a lot of work to keep them in good repair.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
It definitely looks like a mobile home, but not a particularly lovely one. The inspector/appraiser should have said something but it's not overall a bad looking place. The ceilings, corner whirlpool tub, seams, and walls are a dead giveaway. Why does it seem like every mobile home has one of those giant corner whirlpools? The mobile home I grew up in didn't have one, but I've been in/looked at many manufactured home layouts and it seems like a much higher percentage of them have corner tubs than compared to a regular house. I think that modern high end manufactured homes are vastly different than the decaying 40 year old ones you see in trailer parks, but I understand the negative connotations.

Speaking of inspectors, my partner is buying a house and despite my warnings went with the guy the realtor suggested. I really didn't know anyone better, so I didn't have an alternative. I'll be present for the home inspection, but what do I need to be keeping an eye out for?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fashionably Great posted:

It definitely looks like a mobile home, but not a particularly lovely one. The inspector/appraiser should have said something but it's not overall a bad looking place. The ceilings, corner whirlpool tub, seams, and walls are a dead giveaway.

As another person who had a grandparent live in a mobile home for decades, the panel walls with the pieces of trim sticking out to cover the gaps in the panels are another dead giveaway that it's a mobile home.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Mobile homes and manufactured homes are not the same thing.
https://www.cascadeloans.com/difference-between-mobile-and-manufactured-homes/

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

This may be the gooniest thing I've ever seen.

I got outgooned. Thank you for that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"...and that's why you should feel OK taking out a 200k+ loan on these totally not trailers" - a company that makes money off people taking out 200k+ loans on trailers

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

It's a semantic thing. While technically they're not the same thing, in common usage they totally are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

It's a semantic thing. While technically they're not the same thing, in common usage they totally are.

Perhaps, but when we're talking about someone "intentionally hiding" that a home is a manufactured home vs. a mobile home, it makes a difference. Manufactured homes are often intentionally designed to not look like a manufactured home. I think the previous owner probably should have disclosed it, but them putting on stucco and stuff isn't necessarily intentional fraud.

Splicer posted:

"...and that's why you should feel OK taking out a 200k+ loan on these totally not trailers" - a company that makes money off people taking out 200k+ loans on trailers

I googled and took a quick result but you'll get the same info from tons of different sources. There's a persisting stigma from mobile homes becuase they were garbage, and manufactured homes can be garbage too, but they're not necessarily, and can be done well.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Platystemon posted:

This is an external issue, right? And not something that happened to a goon sibling? Tax assessed value of lot 14K, of structure 50K--total of tax assessed value: 64K. Sale price $280K. There are so many people that would be in trouble for allowing this to happen. Banks do not like being fooled. Depending how amiable the parties involved are to making the buyer whole the list of people that could lose their licenses/be censured is long: both Realtors (ethics violation for the listing agent and professional violation for the buyer's agent) , the appraiser, the inspector, the closing attorney, and perhaps the the title insurance company. If it happened to me, the first two calls I would make would be to my Realtor/buyer's agent and the bank holding the mortgage.

There are steps you can take to convert a manufactured home to a single family dwelling. But two things happen--#1 the tax assessed value of the structure dramatically increases. And #2 you can't conceal the material fact the dwelling was once a manufactured home.

There tend to be three classifications for property: 1) mobile/manufactured/single-wide/double-wide (all words for the same thing) 2) Modular home 3) Site built/stick built/single family dwelling--your standard home.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HycoCam posted:

This is an external issue, right? And not something that happened to a goon sibling? Tax assessed value of lot 14K, of structure 50K--total of tax assessed value: 64K. Sale price $280K.

That's pretty standard. Looks like tax assessed value is 25% or 33% or whatever of fair market value in that area.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I'm visiting my parents in California and American showers are so bad, gently caress this crystal knob and shower curtain :thumbsup:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

peanut posted:

I'm visiting my parents in California and American showers are so bad, gently caress this crystal knob and shower curtain :thumbsup:

You probably have a badly-made low-flow shower from old California droughts, before we figured out how to make high-pressure low-water-use shower heads. We can do a lot better these days, and replacing a shower head is dead easy.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

peanut posted:

I miss Japanese showers so much since coming back from my visit. Having a whole room that you can sit down in is awesome, and it makes stuff like leg shaving so much easier. If we had public bath houses like that here I'd go at least twice a week.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
More disguised mobile home photos: https://imgur.com/a/IGdSd

:thunk:

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
That picture is all you need to see to know it's a mobile home. Check vents on sink drains instead of vent pipes, "wallpaper" pre-applied to the wall panels, and cabinets made of the thinnest materials they can get away with.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

HycoCam posted:

This is an external issue, right? And not something that happened to a goon sibling? Tax assessed value of lot 14K, of structure 50K--total of tax assessed value: 64K. Sale price $280K. There are so many people that would be in trouble for allowing this to happen. Banks do not like being fooled. Depending how amiable the parties involved are to making the buyer whole the list of people that could lose their licenses/be censured is long: both Realtors (ethics violation for the listing agent and professional violation for the buyer's agent) , the appraiser, the inspector, the closing attorney, and perhaps the the title insurance company. If it happened to me, the first two calls I would make would be to my Realtor/buyer's agent and the bank holding the mortgage.

There are steps you can take to convert a manufactured home to a single family dwelling. But two things happen--#1 the tax assessed value of the structure dramatically increases. And #2 you can't conceal the material fact the dwelling was once a manufactured home.

There tend to be three classifications for property: 1) mobile/manufactured/single-wide/double-wide (all words for the same thing) 2) Modular home 3) Site built/stick built/single family dwelling--your standard home.

Even if you convert it to real property it is considered a manufactured home on a permanent foundation and will be treated differently than a stick built home by lenders.

Many lenders will treat modular as stick built since it is assembled on-site by a local builder to local buding code. If it came on a steel chassis then it will always be a mobile/manufactured home.

therobit fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 23, 2018

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

More disguised mobile home photos: https://imgur.com/a/IGdSd

:thunk:

lmao is that an internal vent stack?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

therobit posted:

Even if you convert or to tell property it is considered a manufactured home on a permanent foundation and will be treated differently than a stick butt home by lenders.

Many lenders will treat modular as stick built since it is assembled on site by a local builder to local buding code. If it came on a steel chassis then it will always be a mobile/manufactured home.

I’m sure that was an autocorrect error, but i like it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’m sure that was an autocorrect error, but i like it.

All homes are stick butt homes if you have a stick in your butt.

That'll teach me to walk and shitpost at the same time.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

HEY NONG MAN posted:

lmao is that an internal vent stack?

It's an "air admittance valve". They're supposed to be used for fixtures that would be difficult or impossible to run an actual vent to.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, I sure wish sunken-tub mold-farm joist-cutter guy was willing to come back and post a trip report, I wanna know what's up with that thing.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Pretty sure he got a job doing plumbing installs...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My friend bought a house that started as a "high end" mobile home and was then renovated and expanded to the point where maybe only 30% of it was the original mobile home frame. It was even insured as a house. But after she bought it the insurance company asked a bunch of questions and determined to reclassify it as a mobile home. I'm sure even if you ended up replacing the mobile home portion entirely over the years it would turn into some sort of grandfather's axe situation where it's foreverally a mobile home.