Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ImpAtom posted:

I mean like 4 different people survived suicide attacks in this arc alone, including Vegeta.

It's definitely an arc-wide lame thing along with sacrifice eliminations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I want Frieza to live

I know it's in character for him to get killed again but it just seems like such a waste

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't believe how much super loves android 17, holy poo poo. that's the one thing that consistently surprised me about this whole tournament

I've been kinda down on parts of this arc but that ending was awesome and superbly animated. lol at anyone that doubted the zenos. I'll miss this show while it's gone

Blockhouse posted:

It's definitely an arc-wide lame thing along with sacrifice eliminations

yea the death fakeouts got old real fast

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Oxxidation posted:

i doubt toriyama had much to do with anything except the broadest outlines of this whole arc, otherwise the fukken mess that was jiren would be enough proof that the man's probably better off not writing again for a while

He probably didn’t, but that doesn’t change anything. Like what do you think an outline is.

Though Jiren is explicitly his fault.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

At least have 17 end up with his hand like the Terminator or something.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Surprised they revived Freezypop in the end, not surprised they forgot about the concept of the MVP wish.

Pretty sweet ending, coulda been better, coulda been worse.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Oxxidation posted:

i doubt toriyama had much to do with anything except the broadest outlines of this whole arc, otherwise the fukken mess that was jiren would be enough proof that the man's probably better off not writing again for a while

In an interview they said Toriyama was the one who passed the memo with the elimination order to Toei which could either mean:

a) Toei going "look, it's what the author wanted" as a failsafe to fall back into if they write something that turns out to be unpopular

b) Toriyama trying to troll Toei, Toei not realising it, and pulling through spectacularly anyways

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

17 surviving his suicide attack was where he became such a blatant creator's pet that it let a lot of the air out of the climax for me

if someone surviving a suicide attack was shocking then hello, welcome to your first anime ever

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So uh, good thing like nobody else besides U7 won or all of existence would have been erased, huh?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I loved the ending, and was impressed by how many thematic beats they were able to cover. Felt like a great close to Dragon Ball Super and felt a lot less abrupt than I'd been expecting.

Goku and Freeza in their Namek forms fighting side by side was a big "wow we've come a long way" moment and also a nice callback to one of the series' high points, if not THE high point. I also liked how the Tournament of Power ended on some of the most brutal, exhausted fight sequences we've seen in all of Super, again reminding me of some of the early DBZ fights. Even the fighters themselves were surprised they were still standing by this point.

I thought Jiren getting the My Bulma Vegeta power-up tied the character up nicely. Jiren learned at an early age that friends were weaknesses and that he should only believe in himself. So it was a good moment to see him finally accept friendship at a time when his belief fails him, and take strength in a personal connection. Ultimately what defeats Jiren is Goku's very character. Whereas Jiren is about being invulnerable and unsurpassed, Goku is all about finding and surpassing limits. The characters articulate this earlier in the arc and Goku says "what's the difference? we both want to get stronger" but the difference is Goku values strength for his own sake, whereas Jiren wants strength to protect himself. Because of this Goku wants everyone he fights to be stronger too, including his rivals, so that they're better challenges for him. It's this pure excitement of Goku's that wins over even Freeza's respect in the end and gives U7 the final push they need.

The Angels and Zen-ohs doing this tournament as a test to see if mortals were worth saving was a cool thematic callback to the Zamasu arc. Going in I expected the ending to be a "we erased all the universes!!! ... from the stickerbook ipad, don't worry everyone is fine" twist sorta like the Battle of Gods ending. I agree with whoever said earlier it would have been more interesting and tense if Freeza was in 17's position and had to make that wish, but I'll take the Goku/Freeza tag team and be happy.

As far as Freeza goes, I don't expect him to be babysitting Pan anytime soon, but one interesting thing about Freeza to keep in mind is that he spent most of his life peerless, nobody was strong enough to touch him and anyone getting close had their planet blown up. Freeza never had a reason to respect another person as an equal before Goku showed up, but now he's had some time to get used to the idea, and this episodes shows he's capable of some measure of respect for others.

Finally I was a huge fan of 17 when I was a kid and I'm glad he got tons of love in the TOP. Here's hoping they bring back Cell in Dragon Ball Ultra and give him some love too.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

bobjr posted:

This also means one other thing.

I legitimately love him

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Honestly I came away liking Jiren a lot more once it all ended. His aloofness makes sense in retrospect seeing as how he’s a giant rear end in a top hat who hadn’t ever been beaten before

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Carlosologist posted:

Honestly I came away liking Jiren a lot more once it all ended. His aloofness makes sense in retrospect seeing as how he’s a giant rear end in a top hat who hadnt been beaten in a really long time

another inverse of goku, who jackie chun beat early on specifically to teach him humility

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
King Kai is loving seething right now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

being dead doesn't actually seem to bother him much though

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

lezard_valeth posted:

In an interview they said Toriyama was the one who passed the memo with the elimination order to Toei which could either mean:

a) Toei going "look, it's what the author wanted" as a failsafe to fall back into if they write something that turns out to be unpopular

b) Toriyama trying to troll Toei, Toei not realising it, and pulling through spectacularly anyways

There's a screen cap making the rounds on a DBS super threads with one of the series directors/producers that is pretty much just him gushing about how awesome 17 is. If is real and no just something someone pulled out of their asses, it would explain quite a bit.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

on the one hand, it wasn't goku that revived him

on the other hand, he's got friends that could apparently do this with the wave of a hand

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Someone go back in time 3 years and tell everyone that Android 17 would be Hero of The Multiverse.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

on the one hand, it wasn't goku that revived him

on the other hand, he's got friends that could apparently do this with the wave of a hand

Not even that, think about it

Before Goku even knew who Whis was he showed up to King Kai's planet and seemed like he was on cordial terms

He could've done this the entire time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Someone go back in time 3 years and tell everyone that Android 17 would be Hero of The Multiverse.

Dr. Gero, technically.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Basically the thing that saved the multiverse?

Hating Goku

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Someone other than Trunks.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

17 can be rivals with Piccolo now that they’ve hooked back up.

17 is the Hero of Creation.

Piccolo can be a ‘bad’ guy again.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm just glad everyone had a happy ending. :unsmith:

Well, except for all those people on that planet Freeza's about to conquer, but that's the way the cookie crumbles I guess.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Also finale was solid and felt good, makes sense Goku can’t UI when he isn’t pushed to ‘Fight For The Universe’s Survival’ levels of raw gently caress, bet he can go Sign still if he has to fight something super nasty though

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I can't believe Vegeta was relegated to being a pompous witness

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Black August posted:

Also finale was solid and felt good, makes sense Goku can’t UI when he isn’t pushed to ‘Fight For The Universe’s Survival’ levels of raw gently caress, bet he can go Sign still if he has to fight something super nasty though

I do like that UI is a form that can only ever be achieved when Goku is pushed to his absolute limit. It's not like the super saiyan bargain sale.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Now the real question is if Vegeta can still go Royal Blue which is basically Sign level and Destroyer tier because if yes

...Vegeta may have actually ended up a little ahead of Goku.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I'm bummed out we never actually got to see 17's family.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea the death fakeouts got old real fast
Honestly, as long as the regular ol' dragon balls are a thing then the sacrificial attacks will always lose a lot of their dramatic impact regardless of their outcome.

Had 17 actually died, you'd have just gotten another brief scene in the epilogue where Goku & Friends revive him. Or poo poo, a scene where Whis revives him alongside Frieza since that's a thing he can do now. Sacrificing yourself only really has a lot of punch if there's actual consequences, and we're at the point where death in the Dragon Ball universe is just something that eats up your weekend.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Black August posted:

Now the real question is if Vegeta can still go Royal Blue which is basically Sign level and Destroyer tier because if yes

I thought the prince of all sparkles was Vegeta's answer to kaioken blue, not UI.

Azathoth256
Mar 30, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Honestly, as long as the regular ol' dragon balls are a thing then the sacrificial attacks will always lose a lot of their dramatic impact regardless of their outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk1oPhkUZFw

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

frieza goku fastball special was hype as gently caress

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

dragon ball super owns owned

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I love how the last shot of Goku and Vegeta is them going, "alright, now let's get even stronger." Motherfuckers, you've already surpassed the gods themselves. What more do you want?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxNjYs63RD8&t=102s

Need an update to this for Frieza

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Whole episode owned, couldn't have wished for more. Freeza and UNDISPUTED MVP 17 working together was great, Freeza and Goku even better. A real shame it's the end of the series (for now) when there's actually a lot of potential plot on the table.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Jiren going "so that's what trust is," while Goku and Freeza double team him was a pretty great ironic line. Like, Freeza just attempted to murder Goku and betray his universe an hour ago.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
That was a surprisingly strong closer all things considered. I think we were all pretty worried about the pacing since so much had to be covered, but they did a drat good job at it.

As far as Super as a whole goes, I liked it a lot. The main problem with every arc but the Universe 6 tournament was pacing though, and you could probably trim at least a dozen episodes of content while making the quality go up. The only blatantly terrible thing I can think of was the mafuba seal garbage, and Future Trunks not having a universe anymore because that was some poo poo. Otherwise, while the writing may have been inconsistent at times it was still enjoyable to watch.

Other than Trunks not having a universe anymore (which is real bad) I don't know what else in this series could really be seen as the lowest of the low. Watching Buu Kai lately shows that god drat was the whole Gotenks/Gohan vs Super Buu stuff bad. You want lowest lows, go watch that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Black August posted:

I think the idea was that Royal Blue and Ultimate Instinct were things they were only able to do because of the immense pressure they were under during the tournament, rather than being able to just pull that poo poo out willy nilly like all their other transformations. I don't think they'll never be able to use them again, just don't expect to see those forms being used literally all the time.

I mean hell, the only times Goku activates Ultra Instinct are... well, instinctive. So the only time you'll ever see that power-up is when he's in serious poo poo.