Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Legit good and interesting study on the NY Times site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
if the new york times is reporting on racism, it must not exist right

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
It’s good when they let the occasional good piece of reporting happen. Shame about the dogshit op-eds and starting the Iraq War

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

GalacticAcid posted:

It’s good when they let the occasional good piece of reporting happen. Shame about the dogshit op-eds and starting the Iraq War

The NYT did 9/11 so they could publish op-eds that provided the final crucial push to war

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

a david brooks has a column titled “speaking as a white male...” which seems to conclude wih an argument against any sort of ideology whatsoever but idk i’m high and skimmed it and it’s brooks

such a great brooks title though, just instant classic

https://twitter.com/nytopinion/status/977011997006065671

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
This thread is becoming an RSS feed for David Brooks columns and I don't know if that's sad or Mission Accomplished

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

bari’s been quiet lately and brett hasn’t had a hot one in a while

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
bari’s gonna write a glowing piece about bolton after he publicly demands bombing iran

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

did the failing new york times tell lies to start the spanish american war or just the war on terror

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
no really we don't talk enough about the shitbirds in management (baquet, bennett, etc)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whoa the atlantic makes a bold move to acquire some of the failing nyt's marketshare

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/976942778834935808

honestly this is the more logically consistent position for abortion opponents who actually believe their hype and aren't just flinging it around as a culture war issue based around forcing women to suffer consequences for sex

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.
NY Times has a strong op-ed against Bolton. Their evidence that he is a crazed warmonger? A NY Times op-ed.

https://nyti.ms/2pz9SnY

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
lmfao

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

whoa the atlantic makes a bold move to acquire some of the failing nyt's marketshare

https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/976942778834935808

I always think of that rear end in a top hat eviction proceedings column he wrote

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

This thread is becoming an RSS feed for David Brooks columns and I don't know if that's sad or Mission Accomplished

https://mobile.twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/977162107048415233

also, on a non-NYTimes note, WaPo gave an opinion slot to David Thweatt, superintendent of Harrold ISD, to talk about how his policy of arming teachers has secured his school against shooters. oddly enough, the article didn't mention any of the other security measures he's put into place, like preventing transgender students from using the bathroom of the gender they identify with (which he justified by claiming that a dangerous transgender terrorist might somehow use that to bypass their access-controlled doors and 1-2 ratio of security cameras to students)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DavidKlion/status/977196830785265664

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

the PSA dorks keep a token conservative around lol?

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

The Kingfish posted:

the PSA dorks keep a token conservative around lol?

this fits perfectly with their Brand, why not

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it would be cool if they kept a conservative nerd around to bully and berate like fox news used to do with alan colmes

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/veryimportant/status/977238223436107776

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

GalacticAcid posted:

it would be cool if they kept a conservative nerd around to bully and berate like fox news used to do with alan colmes

whenever he’s on one of their podcast they introduce his segment as “the cuck zone” or some poo poo like that to try and make light of the fact that they’re lending their platform to someone who holds 95% of the positions of trump and the gop

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

they introduce his segment as “the cuck zone”

lmfao is this real

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

gradenko_2000 posted:

:same:

On the one hand, it means more people are hatereading his column, on the other, he's one of the most egregious examples of everything that is wrong

Earlier this week I checked out what Friedman was doing, and he wrote a column saying Trump was not a real Republician and like Putin, he doesn't give a poo poo about anything aside from his own aggrandizement, the whole thing was so in a really mild sense generally reasonable it gave me a brief existential crisis

quote:

Busy fighting communism and fascism, people back then emphasized individual reason and were deeply allergic to groupthink.

the 1940s and '50s, the height of critical thinking, when people resisted the idea that cigarettes gave you cancer and the dominant model of psychological health was based on conformance with gender roles

quote:

We don’t think this way anymore, and in fact thinking this way can get you into trouble. I guess the first step was the rise of perspectivism. This is the belief, often traced back to Nietzsche, that what you believe is determined by where you stand: Our opinions are not guided by objective truth, because there is no such thing; they are guided by our own spot in society.

Brooks loving up philosophy isn't surprising, but his fuckups in this case are illuminating, at least. Brooks is gonna infer a false dichotomy between good conservative virtue vs. "those people", but good conservative virtue in this case is objective truth, IE truth or reason unconstrained by perspective. Brooks even gets one thing right about perspectivism: that it denies that such a truth could ever exist. Brooks then conflates perspectivism with other stuff he intends to criticize, which isn't too surprising, and of course has the point of *why* people started thinking like this flies way over his head.

The actual start of perspectivism was - Charles Darwin publishing The Origin of Species. It's immediate, enormous impact got philosophers thinking about its implications as to where things like our basic concepts, like truth, logic, or language actually come from. (Previously musings along this line had a distinctly religious tinge to it, since God created everything and had imbued humanity with unique intellectual powers, which wasn't exactly a "hey, don't worry about it" from God, but was functionally pretty close.) Nietzsche was a perspectivist in his late writings (in his earlier writings he hasn't quite figured out what he thinks, moving between pragmatist and post-modern denials of truth) which is a distinction naturally lost. Pragmatism/perspectivism BTW is a place where American philosophy in particular really shines - with C.S. Pierce, William James, and John Dewey, who called their perspectiveism pragmatism. Influential in their day, the 1940s and 50s Brooks waxes so fondly about mostly forgot about pragmatism, much to its determent.

I don't know if Brooks has anything in this beyond saying "NOT MY VIEW, TF BAD." TBH as a practice I don't think his flavor of conservatism is affected very much at all. What it does affect of course is authority, since it means he becomes not the unquestionable rational voice of authority, but just another - person - who can be blindsided by bad thinking and bias just like all the other people out there. The notion that there can be no better thought than a white man "thinking rationally" is I think a major part of why the new atheists went so bad. They treated "reason" as a blank check to ignore their own biases and soon enough, justify their own prejudice. There being no one true way in a world of endless complexity is a pain in the rear end too, from a political perspective, since you'd have to freely concede that you screw up and get it wrong all the time. I think this is the major factor here, as well as why J. Petersen assholes have such gigantic, yet inarticulate problems with pragmatism. Not only does such thinking destroy political absolutes, it destroys the throne of white male privilege they are accustomed to speaking from. That can't explicitly justify it - that would make them look like assholes. At the same time, they love their privilege desperately, and try to hold onto it with handwaving about FREE SPEECH (the right for white privilege to say what it wants and not be criticized by 'those people') or (where Brooks is going with this, the HOLY SANCTITY OF REASON (IE his reason) and the tribal attacks of 'cultural Marxism' IE anybody who points out his bias or prejudice.

I have no idea if this is a deliberate rhetorical defense, or hand-waving because to realize the very existence of the privilege throne is to destroy it

Speaking of cultural Marxism :nallears:

quote:

Then came Michel Foucault [can I just point out he treats Foucault exactly like Jordon Petersen does, as a devious Frenchman Marxist (who neither of them has ever read) and who's philosophical work was about the destruction of the 'objective' as detailed above, one who furthermore minced no words in describing actual post-moderns who thought 'truth does not exist, and that is a truth' as bunko artists?] and critical race theorists and the rest, and the argument that society is structured by elites to preserve their privilege. Beliefs and culture are part of the structure elites use to preserve that inequality. This led, in the common parlance, to the assumption that your beliefs are determined by your group’s privilege or lack of privilege, by where your group is within the power structure.[...]We’ve shifted from an emphasis on individual judgment toward a greater emphasis on collective experience. I notice that even in my own line of work. When I started, it was very important for opinion writers to never think of themselves as a Republican or a Democrat. We were individual inquirers, not polemicists for some political team. Over the years, many people stopped making that distinction.

quote:

When you read discussions of op-ed writers you see that we’re often not thought of as individual thinkers, but as spokesmen who are here to represent a point of view. People get upset when a certain group is not represented on the page.

C'MON CSPAM DO BETTER

What else...oh yeah, lol

quote:

And there are other times when collective thinking seems positively corrupting. Why are people’s views of global warming, genetically modified foods and other scientific issues strongly determined by political label? That seems ridiculous.

writes the man who sees literally everything through the lends of partisanship

quote:

Our whole education system is [ed note: maybe for richers, but not for anyone else] based on the idea that we train individuals to be critical thinkers. Our political system is based on the idea that persuasion and deliberation lead to compromise and toward truth. The basis of human dignity is our capacity to make up our own minds. One of the things I’ve learned in a lifetime in journalism is that people are always more unpredictable than their categories.

But the notion that group membership determines opinion undermines all that. If it’s just group against group, deliberation is a sham, beliefs are just masks groups use to preserve power structures, and democracy is a fraud. The epistemological foundation of our system is in surprisingly radical flux.

That's David Brooks there, saying 'partisanship is stupid, just be atoms OK'

Or maybe "do as I say, not as I do"

This has been David Brooks missing the point - special to CSPAM

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 19:02 on Mar 23, 2018

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 19 days!)

I haven't read a single David Brooks column since my undergrad days when I had to for a paper. I decided then he was an idiot who is always wrong about everything, and that hasn't failed me yet.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Tewdrig posted:

NY Times has a strong op-ed against Bolton. Their evidence that he is a crazed warmonger? A NY Times op-ed.

https://nyti.ms/2pz9SnY
just a reminder that the nyt pushed the iraq war with above the fold front page news articles

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I haven't read a single David Brooks column since my undergrad days when I had to for a paper. I decided then he was an idiot who is always wrong about everything, and that hasn't failed me yet.

but have you really considered the possibility that under-education about italian cold-cuts is the driving force for anxiety among the American working class?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

LGD posted:

but have you really considered the possibility that under-education about italian cold-cuts is the driving force for anxiety among the American working class?

The one good thing about David Brooks's columns is you can tell how loving stupid they are just from the titles and intro paragraphs.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

david brooks is pure distilled nyt and has historically been the worst part of the paper

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/ekingc/status/977191574462435329?s=19

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Editorial: We Stand With The Students and also with a bunch of midwestern Trump voters who think they're dumb punk kids and who are the only people who will let us interview them any more.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/977710424052436994

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I can't believe I agree with Oliver Willis.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
string every boomer newspaper editor from the nearest streetpole

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I can't believe I agree with Oliver Willis.

The power of the NYT

I've never heard of Oliver Willis, who is he?

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nebakenezzer posted:

The power of the NYT

I've never heard of Oliver Willis, who is he?

shareblue in his bio, so he is bad.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/adamjohnsonNYC/status/977764857289338881

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The breathless takes about The New Model For Student Protest make me twingey and cringey because MY first protest was against the Iraq War and my second significant invovlement was Occupy, and kids let me tell you a little something about what happens when the dems decide to punch left on your particular hobby horse issue:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Willie Tomg posted:

The breathless takes about The New Model For Student Protest make me twingey and cringey because MY first protest was against the Iraq War and my second significant invovlement was Occupy, and kids let me tell you a little something about what happens when the dems decide to punch left on your particular hobby horse issue:

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I remember in high school AP Literature (I think 2003) our teacher had us read two op-eds, with one intended to be liberal and other intended to be conservative, I guess for "balance" or something. The two op-eds were by Maureen Dowd and George Will. I remember they were both bad.