Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Pebble spoiled me with an always on display. I'm not asking for the whole thing with all the colors to be lit up, just a simple 9:13AM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

How often (or when?) does the move goal update in the activity app? I’ve gone over it for the past 9 days and I was expecting it to change to make the goal more difficult.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

How often (or when?) does the move goal update in the activity app? I’ve gone over it for the past 9 days and I was expecting it to change to make the goal more difficult.

Well it depends. If you beat it every day for 7 days (Monday - Sunday) on Monday morning it will ask you if you want to up it. If you don’t beat it on Monday morning it will suggest that you keep it the same.

It can be easy to miss the alert but it’s always Monday morning with in the first hour of putting the watch on. It gives you a weekly summary.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can move it on your own by force-touching the screen in in the app.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Are Apple watches fine to use in salt water? I’ve got a series 2 if that changes anything.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah. Turn on the water mode if you're going to be in it for awhile, but I've had both my S0 and my S2 in the ocean without any issues.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Pebble spoiled me with an always on display. I'm not asking for the whole thing with all the colors to be lit up, just a simple 9:13AM.

There are plus signs for that, but I’m the opposite, I don’t think I could go back.

But I’m talking to random customers for my 8 hour work shifts, and when I had a pebble I had to deal with occasional people just snooping on the watch. Also I would be talking to customers and my wife would send something like “this person I’m talking to is a loving idiot” and I’m trying to keep something non Politically Correct from being seen.

The “watch only lights up when it detects you are looking at it” is a great compromise.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

There are plus signs for that, but I’m the opposite, I don’t think I could go back.

But I’m talking to random customers for my 8 hour work shifts, and when I had a pebble I had to deal with occasional people just snooping on the watch. Also I would be talking to customers and my wife would send something like “this person I’m talking to is a loving idiot” and I’m trying to keep something non Politically Correct from being seen.

The “watch only lights up when it detects you are looking at it” is a great compromise.

You kind of swerved around what he was saying with just the time being the always on information. Retain the notifications for the gesture activation.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

buglord posted:

It’s not really a compromise in the strict sense of the word but my solution to a similar conundrum ( I wanted to be able to glance at the watch without lifting it to my face) was to cue up the ‘X-Large’ watchface. A slight rotation of the wrist is all I need to trigger the display and I can peep at it in my peripheral vision easily.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Any tips for saving battery life on the s3 lte? A ~1hr workout using GPS today drained more than 40% of my battery for some reason. My watch is <2 weeks old.

Things I’m trying:

1) Reducing watch brightness to minimum
2) Uninstalling unused apps
3) Turning off notifications that I don’t use

Anything else? Does removing complications from my watch face matter? I had my phone with me on the run, so I’m pretty sure it’s not the LTE that’s causing the drain, but I could also try turning that off?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Oh and thanks for all he tips on getting the HR monitor to take more reading during workouts. Mine has been working great ever since I realized that I needed to (1) start the workout from the watch rather than my phone and (2) move the watch up my arm about ~1 inch.

iSmoothRun is great, highly recommended!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tonic posted:

Any tips for saving battery life on the s3 lte? A ~1hr workout using GPS today drained more than 40% of my battery for some reason. My watch is <2 weeks old.

Things I’m trying:

1) Reducing watch brightness to minimum
2) Uninstalling unused apps
3) Turning off notifications that I don’t use

Anything else? Does removing complications from my watch face matter? I had my phone with me on the run, so I’m pretty sure it’s not the LTE that’s causing the drain, but I could also try turning that off?

Ok if you had your phone with you it definitely should not be doing that. With my S3 I can run for a long rear end time and it doesn’t drop below 70%.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I did a 1.5 hr 16k run the other day and ended at 90% on an s3 gps. Maybe it's working really hard to lock satellites?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

cowofwar posted:

I did a 1.5 hr 16k run the other day and ended at 90% on an s3 gps. Maybe it's working really hard to lock satellites?

He had his phone with him too so shouldn’t it also be using that for gps?

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

He had his phone with him too so shouldn’t it also be using that for gps?

But I started the run using the app on the watch, not sure if that matters.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

tonic posted:

But I started the run using the app on the watch, not sure if that matters.
I start my runs and rides on the watch as well (strava). Not sure which app you're using.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I start my runs and rides on the watch as well (strava). Not sure which app you're using.

iSmoothRun

Honestly it seems like my battery is just draining really fast in general— I wish there was a way to figure out what is causing it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I would think it would use the phone GPS if it's at all connected to the phone, even if you start the workout on the watch, no?

But if you didn't have your phone, LTE and GPS will absolutely melt your battery, especially if you're streaming music. 35-40% per hour is super normal in my experience, if you're using LTE/GPS.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

I figured out that the HeartWatch app from the AutoSleep devs was draining my battery super fast—removing it from the watch fixed my issue :D

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

Does this sound standard for S3 LTE battery life?

After 24 hours, battery was down to 28%. This included a 1 hr GPS workout, light usage throughout the day (no music/LTE usage) and then ~8 hours in theater mode asleep.

From what I’ve read this seems low, but maybe I’m expecting too much from the battery.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Took advantage of eBay's 15% off everything coupon today and bought an open-box Series 3 42mm for $280 from a supposedly reputable seller according to the seller ratings. If things check out and I'm happy with what I bought, I obviously need to look at bands. I've only skimmed a few search results but came across Monowear Design. I like most of the styles they have on offer. Anyone have their bands that can chime in? Any other makers I should be looking at?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I vaguely recall people saying good things about them. As for others, I think a lot will be predicated on what price range you're looking at. Bunch of cheap knockoffs on the lower end (and I'd guess all from the same sources), then a bunch of random third parties like Monowear, then a bunch of custom/handmade ones on Etsy, to the fancier commercial stuff like Coach and Hermes and what not. Just image searching for Apple Watch bands brings up a bunch of random stuff too.

There's also the option of getting DIY lugs and whatever watch band you want if none of those options float your boat.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
4.3 is out with this list of changes:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Thank gently caress they've brought back music controls

Kristneder
Jul 21, 2006

:siren:This is my first post.:siren:
I hope the horrific delay when opening the activity app is gone.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Kristneder posted:

It is. Thank you Tim.

tonic
Jan 4, 2003

What’s up with this update taking like an hour to install? Are all updates this slow?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

tonic posted:

What’s up with this update taking like an hour to install? Are all updates this slow?

YUP. The watch hamsters work slowly.

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

tonic posted:

The preparing phase, or the “watch is on Apple logo with progress ring” phase?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

tonic posted:

Yeah they've always been slow on the watch.

Also I think they poached the team responsible for progress bars from Microsoft - mine keeps jumping about 'About 16 minutes remaining', 'About 2 hours remaining', 'About 10 minutes remaining', 'About 1 hour remaining', "About 16 minutes...

HiredGun
Sep 3, 2004

Obesity loves company

Kristneder posted:

Just updated my series 0 and the delay seems to be fixed. Hope it stays like this.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Actually, the midnight fog loop looks pretty cool. Thanks Apple!

Dugong fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 30, 2018

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Dugong posted:

I wish I didn’t go for a black watch. The majority of bands look so much better on the silver version.

Counterpoint: nah, they don’t.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Braincloud posted:

Counterpoint: nah, they don’t.

quoted for truth
space black superiority

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Dugong posted:

Actually, the midnight fog loop looks pretty cool. Thanks Apple!

Bullshit. My sport loops look mad dope on my black watch.

Also there are new Spring collection loops out. They look great. Really really good. I gotta have those loops!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Tougher to pair a leather strap with black, though. Imo.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Tougher to pair a leather strap with black, though. Imo.

This is true.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The watch is 90% black most of the time anyways.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

black like all our hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

black like all our hearts
:omarcomin: