Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
Slavery is slavery, closing the loyalty centers is eradicating that form of it. But yeah, the world sucks so bad that who even knows what they'll do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

General Dog posted:

but we have no reason to take his word for it that this represents meaningful change. Wade has his head up his rear end.

Except that he's not a real person in a real world, he's an expositioning character speaking an epilogue. The only authority we have on what happens next is the epilogue itself. If they release a Ready Player Two: This Time It's Personal about how poo poo got worse, then yea.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I'm sure people will like this and I'm not gonna snipe at them, it just ain't for me. I saw a clip that looked like a good chase scene at least. But please, somebody tell me.

Does anyone call out the Iron Giant and his loving laser eyes in the film. Is there at least context? Some dick in the film thought he looked cool (because face it, he does) but didn't actually see the film or something?

Also if you must have the Iron Giant kicking rear end, at least go all the way and give him all his mad weapons from the film. Did they do that?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

No. He’s just there. Like most of the Easter eggs.

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014
I sat trough it and yes it's watchable but man it really is just a lovely SUPAR CROSSOVER fanfic from fanfiction.net put to film.

It's the worst part of nerd culture and if this earns enough cash expect the concept to be clone stamped to hell as every company scrambles to print some cash out of this.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

I did not know what to expect but that was a hell of an entertaining movie. The story was ok and there were definitely some very forced references and cheesy dialogue but it was a lot of fun on the surface.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Favourite bit was the camera movement during some of the Overlook hotel stuff, even if it's mostly CGI just the fluid swooping and spinning around without it being all jump cuts and impossible to follow. The rest kind of "eh", my kid enjoyed it, which was the main thing, as I probably wouldn't have seen it otherwise.

The thing which really stood out to me was the complete lack of authenticity in all the relationships in the film. It just felt there was nothing there, and not just between main characters... anything related to family history or motivations or anything like that. It all just seemed so sanitized and inconsequential. A glaring example of that, to me, was "the rebellion", who simply ceased to exist except for Olivia Cooke after they were rumbled, but there are loads of other examples. This sort of stuff used to be Spielberg's bread and butter, even up until fairly recently. Character's lovely lives/families/situation have an emotional impact and character's actions have an impact on the lives around them. Here people just said it, or it happens and seems to have zero impact, or there's nothing at all. It made what could have been a fun action film seem particularly bland to me.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Haven’t read the book and never will.

Fun movie, all the real life stuff was kinda meh in comparison to the actual movie. That Shining sequence had me grin from ear to ear, I recently rewatched it and I must say, I was very impressed with the look of it all. But no “Here’s Johnny!” which is just...what?

Also, a very obscure Bruce Springsteen song was the least I expected to hear. GG.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

No. He’s just there. Like most of the Easter eggs.

Oh, what I expected and nothing too awful then. Thank you

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Saw it today. I liked it, I felt they managed to get much of the overall themes the book conveyed into the movie.

I did feel like the romance part was ham-fisted and should have been pushed much further back in the story, and they wasted Simon Pegg's talents. The references were fine IMO, many were just there without having someone point to them and say "LOOK THERE'S TRACER, LOOK AT THIS, HERE'S THIS" like so many other movies do. Some references are emphasized but a TON of them are just there to be spotted by the fans. I also liked one major change in the book, gundam instead of ultraman for the big fight. I wouldn't nominate it for any awards but it was a very fun way to spend a couple hours, and I'll happily watch it again to see how many references I missed.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Why were there so many goddamn Battleborn character easter eggs in this movie and like, one from Overwatch? :iiam:

CainFortea posted:

Did the Holy Handgrenade blow up after 4 seconds? I was too involved to count.

No it didn't.

And if you were truly involved this would have ruined your immersion immediately like it did for me. :colbert:

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
They didn’t even have the Rabbit of Caerbannog, what a waste.

Wow can you imagine if they had some 2D Gilliam animation in this? Would’ve been the best.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

McDragon posted:

I'm sure people will like this and I'm not gonna snipe at them, it just ain't for me. I saw a clip that looked like a good chase scene at least. But please, somebody tell me.

Does anyone call out the Iron Giant and his loving laser eyes in the film. Is there at least context? Some dick in the film thought he looked cool (because face it, he does) but didn't actually see the film or something?

Also if you must have the Iron Giant kicking rear end, at least go all the way and give him all his mad weapons from the film. Did they do that?

What most people don't seem to get, even though its painfully obvious, is that any reference in the film is an avatar and not an actual character.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.
Loved the book, and I kinda loved the movie. I went in with low expectations, and was surprised at how much I liked it. It was restructured, and there were many, MANY, substitutions, but overall, I felt like it captured the book...in a relative way The 3 keys, and the epic shield battle. The Shining sequence was outstanding.

Conal Cochran
Dec 2, 2013

I was hoping when I saw the trailers and all the controversy over Iron Giant being a gun and all that, that it would turn out its what the villain uses in the final battle to show how he doesn't appreciate the true meaning of these works.

It would have been the, "Pacman's a bad guy?" moment of RP1.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, I really enjoyed the hell out of this movie. I went in ready to be disappointed because I heard they removed the entire Tomb of Horrors, and bunch of other things. It was almost entirely different, but it was still good somehow! It felt like I was reading the book for the first time all over again. Brand new 80s nostalgia that kept up with the book.

And they kept the Gundam in the movie. Holy poo poo yes.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Tommy 2.0 posted:

Spielberg absolutely should not have been the person directing this.

The book was full of low-hanging fruit after my feels and I LOVED it. I didn't care. And even though this was a movie BASED on a book, as long as it got the feel right, I would have been happy.

It did not get the feel right.

Spielberg was way to out of touch as to what made people gush after the book. Sadly, this was a huge misstep and stuff like Scott Pilgrim did it way better.

The Shining was seriously badass though. The book was full of stuff like that. Don't know how they missed doing that for most of the movie.

How old are you

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I'm not the poster you asked, but I'm an old who cut my teeth on Atari 2600 and first edition D&D. I loved the book, because it was essentially a love letter to the 80s, but I also enjoyed the movie and completely understand why they made it have more general appeal. "Old poo poo: The Movie" would have flopped, and they still paid a lot of respect to that particular era while acknowledging other nerdy times also.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tezzeract posted:

...if you are ever interested in the internal lives of gaming nerds/otakus, this movie is a great entry point.

i'll take "things no one should ever be interested in" for $500, alex

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Bottom Liner posted:

This movie is proof that Steven Spielberg can polish a turd. It wasn't great, but it was better than it had any right to be. All over the place tonally and it was at least half an hour too long. Mark Rylance made chump change of the rest of the cast with his acting.

that's kind of mark rylance's thing

it is really funny to have watched him do the best richard III i've ever seen onstage and know he's making way more money with two days of work in the spielberg monkeycheese movie

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I'm not sure I have ever seen a thread with so many "This book/movie is responsible for the fall of western civilization" posts and undertones before, jesus

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I'm not sure I have ever seen a thread with so many "This book/movie is responsible for the fall of western civilization" posts and undertones before, jesus

the causation is backwards: ready player one is merely a sign of the apocalypse, not the cause of it

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
Movie would have been better if the motorcycle chick he fell in love with was actually a dude living in his mom's basement and he ended up hooking up with his machine shop bro in the end anyway. - since the whole relationship thing was bad subplot.

If there weren't any pop culture references or "cameos" this would have been a bad movie.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m not a product of the 80s and didn’t get half the references (wtf is bonsai buckaroo) so it annoyed me that somehow in the fifty years these kids know references that people my age have no clue about

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Buckaroo Banzai is a terrible 80s movie but has an odd cult following like anything out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdanCNK4ayo

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene

Empress Brosephine posted:

I’m not a product of the 80s and didn’t get half the references (wtf is bonsai buckaroo) so it annoyed me that somehow in the fifty years these kids know references that people my age have no clue about

It's another thing the book explained better than the movie. In the book, there was no "car race" for the first key. No one had even the slightest clue where it was, so egg hunters boned up extensively on Halliday's interests (the 80s) trying to find some clue as to where the key could be found. In fact, the whole department at IOI that keeps track of 80s poo poo seems totally pointless in the movie, as none of them are going to help win a car race.

The race kind of makes the whole thing fall apart IMO, because by sheer numbers, IOI should have been able to brute force that solution through their infinite resources.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Through The Decade posted:

Holy poo poo I’m pretty sure I cringed nonstop through the whole movie.

However I’m wondering if anybody else noticed a glaring lack of musical score throughout the movie. I had to go see it at a lovely theatre because of timing and the sound was overall pretty quiet there because of overtired speakers. So I’m curious if there was a whole sound channel missing that made the whole thing feel like those Big Bang Theory videos that people edit the laugh track out of. Or if perhaps that feeling was just by design.

I saw this yesterday and I just wanted to say I'm glad someone else noticed this. I thought the sound mixing was atrocious. The score was barely audible when it was even there, and it felt like there were multiple scenes that played out without anything backing them when there definitely should have been. Nothing in this movie got me emotional invested in any of the characters, and I just didn't really care what ended up happening. They enter the zero-gravity club and Depeche Mode is playing or some poo poo and the characters are kind of mock-yelling at each other to have a conversation, except they are the only thing you hear in the scene. The "loud" club music is barely audible behind them and it's just sort of weird. There was a lot of weird things in this movie.

physeter
Jan 24, 2006

high five, more dead than alive
It was better than the lovely book for sure. The best thing I took from it was that Spielberg did an amazing job of integrating a persistent virtual world with the "real" world throughout the narrative. Amazon's Snow Crash series will have no excuses now.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I greatly appreciated the multiple shots of people doing cool poo poo in the Oasis and looking completely ridiculous in the real world.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

https://twitter.com/bafeldman/status/980804086584020993

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

This movie is getting really weird reactions (reading social media threads on it). You have a contingent of people that seem to get really mad at pop culture being referenced in any media, apparently, and just hate it based on that - and then book readers who haven't figured out film is a different medium and just complain about it not lining up exactly.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I enjoyed the book AND the movie and I think there's no way they could have done a straight adaptation of the book. Who wants to watch the kid play Joust for days?

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
It’s pretty funny to see nerds on the internet insult Ready Player One for being a movie where a boring milquetoast white boy gets everything he wants in life for knowing a lot about the 80’s, and then will immediately turn around and praise Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kazoo Reverb posted:

I enjoyed the book AND the movie and I think there's no way they could have done a straight adaptation of the book. Who wants to watch the kid play Joust for days?

Bless you for being completely unaware of Twitch.

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
lol what plot point in Guardians focused around Peter Quill's 80s knowledge?

Sir Kodiak posted:

Bless you for being completely unaware of Twitch.

Sorry, I meant people likely to leave their basements IE the demographic of movies in theaters

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

There wasn't a single reference or nod to any of the 3D adventure games from Sierra On-Line which loving sucked, but I guess that's because Halliday was a dirty Atari console gamer and never became part of the fledgling PC master race until he was designing VR worlds.

loving poser.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Pirate Jet posted:

It’s pretty funny to see nerds on the internet insult Ready Player One for being a movie where a boring milquetoast white boy gets everything he wants in life for knowing a lot about the 80’s, and then will immediately turn around and praise Guardians of the Galaxy.

get this: they're both bad

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Pirate Jet posted:

Source your YouTube comment section quotes brah

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

R. Guyovich posted:

get this: they're both bad

I agree, I wasn’t saying RPO is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scoops My Goops
Dec 3, 2004

by Reene
I still don't see how knowledge of the 80s being key to the plot is the same thing as having been born in the 80s, but here we are

• Locked thread