Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Atropha posted:

And I don't think Nilbog was supposed to actually be wise, just come across that way. Some of that is probably because we're seeing things from Dot's perspective in that Interlude. Riley does seem to agree with him, but I think that's because they both seem to buy into their connection to their shard to a crazy extent. That's pretty much what he's getting at (in his own crazy way) when he tells Amy that she's supposed to act like the Red Queen. He's telling her to indulge her shard and you can almost see how that could be reasonable because Amy does tend to make herself miserable by keeping the lid on her powers. Of course we've also seen what happens when she does let loose, so this whole scene felt very much like establishing that Amy is hanging out with these people who think going hog-wild with their bio-bullshit powers is awesome and see it as art or kind of a mythological philosophy. I think framing Nilbog as being seen as this Great King from Dot's point of view serves to make us nervous about Amy talking to him and 'adopting' Dot at the end.

Basically by seeing things from the perspective of someone who is hard-wired to listen to Nilbog and putting Amy into that context it primes the reader to think about the possibility of Amy listening to him like he's some wise old king, which would be tremendously bad and I can't wait for that payoff.

That's a good point; I think part of why I didn't think of things from that perspective is that I had just assumed we were supposed to consider Amy's character arc mostly complete with the whole "she seemingly chilled out and got tattoos and poo poo" stuff (and the same to some extent with Bonesaw/Riley), though it obviously doesn't make sense logically for that to fix her issues. Speaking of which, she mentioned working with Marquis, right? How does that work, since I'm pretty sure Marquis is still a villain?

The idea of Amy suffering from her interaction with Riley is an interesting direction for things to go. There are a bunch of potential vectors for future conflict; off the top of my head, the following come to mind:

- Aforementioned "something bad with Amy" (our protagonist being Victoria contributes to this possibility to some degree)
- Whatever is going on with the living machines
- Whatever Teacher is up to
- Conflict with other worlds (folks like Goddess, etc)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atropha
Nov 17, 2010

I figure the amnesty probably allows for her to hang with her dad, which seems to have been good for her mental health while she was in the Birdcage but also probably isn't great in the long run? At the same time she's reconnected with Carol so she's somewhat tapped into the side that is literally writing the law. There's a lot to resolve there that all ties into Victoria's trauma so that's 100% going to be a thing in some form or another. Also, more Dot, that Interlude was fantastic and I love that little thing, genocidal tendencies of spreading the robo-plague aside. But yeah, there is so much stuff being slowly set up everywhere that it's hard to figure out what is background fluff and what is foreshadowing. Or, hell, what's going to happen int he background while Victoria does other things. I wonder if Teacher is involved with the other world having Parahumans pop up in their leadership.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, what is up with the machine plague anyways? I guess it makes sense for there to be some sci-fi "humans have been around a few thousand years longer" Earth variant, though such an earth could easily crush the others, parahumans or not.

Speaking of humans fighting Parahumas, was the reason they never just rolled tanks/Apaches into Nilbog's domain related to Cauldron? Because I have trouble understanding why it would be so insurmountable to defeat him. A bunch of big monsters are strong, but not "could gently caress up a modern military" strong*.

* The most dangerous parahumans when it comes to being a threat to greater society have always been folks like Strangers, certain Masters (like Valefor or something), and Tinkers capable of creating things like dimensional portals or plagues, rather than people like Alexandria. Or stuff like Regent's sister's ability (is that a Master ability?), which was frankly ridiculous and almost impossible to defeat unless you're immune to emotion powers or have Bonesaw's bullshit abilities. She could literally make people remotely kill themselves, lol.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Ytlaya posted:

I'm curious about how things are going to go with Tristan. I'm doubting he's actually an outright sociopath (since Byron seems to doubt it's the case*, and there isn't really anywhere to go with his character if that were true), but it's obvious that the situation mentioned by Moonsong is going to happen to some degree later, and she probably isn't wrong that he's going to try to use Rain or Sveta or something at some point.

Also, after reading the Dot interlude, I'm a little confused by what the gently caress is going on with Riley/Bonesaw. In general I've always found her post-S9 character kind of confusing. Like, I understand that she did all this horrific stuff while under the heavy influence of her shard/Jack, but I don't really understand how a remotely sane human being could continue to exist with the memories of having done the sort of stuff Bonesaw has done. I also don't really understand why it seems we're supposed to perceive Nilbog as really wise? Like, the guy was a pretty bad person who just used his ridiculously powerful ability to take over a city and kill anyone who tried to take it back (or were rude to him or whatever). I don't know how "ruling over a bunch of life forms that seemingly worship you by default" gives a person great wisdom.

* Though he didn't rule out the possibility

The other guys covered the dot stuff better than I probably was. I can't sum up Riley well, but yea she isn't sane and probably also constructed the entire Bonesaw persona to off-load a lot of that poo poo onto. Not having Jack around to constantly negatively reinforce her probably helps a ton too.

There's some subtle subtext about Moonsong's character that kind of puts her view on whatever the situation was into .. if not doubt then heavily colored. Tristan spoilers ahead! Tristin is gay, and Byron is not. Based on glo-worm text stuff it is kind of implied that she likes Byron (no clue if she knew them pre-trigger, but would also make sense) and her whole thing with Furcate makes it likely she is at least a bit homophobic.

We got a peek at "why didn't they roll through Nilbog's place" in an interlude, and he sort of hosed 'em up. Infinite smart troops that can be rigged to have all sorts of crazy poo poo is hard to beat. Instead they went "well we can just bottle him up and throw some surveillance to make sure he doesn't leave and call it a day" because that was a ton cheaper in terms of lives and materials and we've got things like Endbringers to worry about. The machine army is implied to be something similar: hosed up thing they just walled up and left alone, till Scion breaking poo poo across the world let it out.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ytlaya posted:

I'm curious about how things are going to go with Tristan. I'm doubting he's actually an outright sociopath (since Byron seems to doubt it's the case*, and there isn't really anywhere to go with his character if that were true), but it's obvious that the situation mentioned by Moonsong is going to happen to some degree later, and she probably isn't wrong that he's going to try to use Rain or Sveta or something at some point.

Also, after reading the Dot interlude, I'm a little confused by what the gently caress is going on with Riley/Bonesaw. In general I've always found her post-S9 character kind of confusing. Like, I understand that she did all this horrific stuff while under the heavy influence of her shard/Jack, but I don't really understand how a remotely sane human being could continue to exist with the memories of having done the sort of stuff Bonesaw has done. I also don't really understand why it seems we're supposed to perceive Nilbog as really wise? Like, the guy was a pretty bad person who just used his ridiculously powerful ability to take over a city and kill anyone who tried to take it back (or were rude to him or whatever). I don't know how "ruling over a bunch of life forms that seemingly worship you by default" gives a person great wisdom.

* Though he didn't rule out the possibility
My impression I got from Tristan is that usually he's bad at other people's boundaries and that gets worse the more he wants stuff because he gets tunnel vision, and that all exploded out in his Ward days into... hiring a hitman to take out a teammate that got something he wanted? Which is an extreme conclusion but also reminds me a bit of Colin, where Colin ended up doing a lot of hosed up stuff because he got super into his own head and his own perspective and didn't take the time to slow down and think through the morality and long-term consequences of his choices. And I think his situation with Byron plays into that, because Byron isn't there to pull him out of it the way he needs, neither of them can get alone time or blow off steam in healthier ways, and Byron is really loving exhausted with being Tristan's anchor. I suspect they had a healthier relationship before they shared a body, because it's hard to see how it could have been as unhealthy or worse.

Dot perceives Nilbog as super wise because she's (descended from) a creation of Nilbog and there's an innate love and trust there. Like how she shifts how she refers to people based on how he refers to them. He's not actually super wise, he's super messed up. A big part of the conflict with the end of that interlude is he's trying to tell her something similar to that and she just can't process it.

As for Riley... yeah, I don't think she's that sane or stable. At best, I think she's on similar unsolid ground that Ashley is, but that's a best-case scenario since Ashley didn't actually personally do a lot of the stuff that's in her head. She's not a good person but I think she's trying to be a more ethical person, and I think part of how that plays out is that neither her shard or Jack are very ethical, so restricting herself by societally accepted rules for moral behavior and the greater good is a way to get some distance to try to build up her own sense of identity again. I have no doubt she'd still really enjoy doing a lot of hosed up things, but also part of her earlier enjoyment was the pressure forcing that on her... I think at her core she just wants to do interesting things and when external pressure pushes her towards doing that more morally she will.

EDIT:

Ytlaya posted:

By the way, what is up with the machine plague anyways? I guess it makes sense for there to be some sci-fi "humans have been around a few thousand years longer" Earth variant, though such an earth could easily crush the others, parahumans or not.
Man I'm super interested in this. My best guess is that there was a tinker with self-replicating technology speciality and things went really really wrong.

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of humans fighting Parahumas, was the reason they never just rolled tanks/Apaches into Nilbog's domain related to Cauldron? Because I have trouble understanding why it would be so insurmountable to defeat him. A bunch of big monsters are strong, but not "could gently caress up a modern military" strong*.

* The most dangerous parahumans when it comes to being a threat to greater society have always been folks like Strangers, certain Masters (like Valefor or something), and Tinkers capable of creating things like dimensional portals or plagues, rather than people like Alexandria. Or stuff like Regent's sister's ability (is that a Master ability?), which was frankly ridiculous and almost impossible to defeat unless you're immune to emotion powers or have Bonesaw's bullshit abilities. She could literally make people remotely kill themselves, lol.
As far as I can tell the reason is it was easier to wall it off since Nilbog wasn't going to expand once he got his kingdom, and by the time he might have wanted to when the resource limit bothered him enough he was sealed off. Nilbog is actually extremely lazy in many ways, he doesn't want to rule the world, he just wanted his own little corner... and he could have gotten and maintained it if he hadn't used an entire small town as raw material. Like... there were much smarter ways to go about it but he wasn't thinking in that frame.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 2, 2018

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

PetraCore posted:

Man I'm super interested in this. My best guess is that there was a tinker with self-replicating technology speciality and things went really really wrong.

Theres a WoG that strongly hints at it being this. Like as a comparison to Nilbog (but with robots) in the rankings of class-S threats.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

PetraCore posted:

As far as I can tell the reason is it was easier to wall it off since Nilbog wasn't going to expand once he got his kingdom, and by the time he might have wanted to when the resource limit bothered him enough he was sealed off. Nilbog is actually extremely lazy in many ways, he doesn't want to rule the world, he just wanted his own little corner... and he could have gotten and maintained it if he hadn't used an entire small town as raw material. Like... there were much smarter ways to go about it but he wasn't thinking in that frame.

I remember reading a WoG about this (I think the poster had asked WB why they didn't firebomb Nilbog's kingdom), and at least in pre-GM world he said that the PRT had an entire army of high-level Thinkers running analysis for them, and every day they'd have each thinker run through a battery of questions along the lines of "For each S-class threat currently being monitored, what if we: blow it up, burn it, kick it, spit on it, leave it alone," and so forth. For a lot of threats, thinker analysis regularly indicated that leaving it alone was dramatically safer than any of their casual options for destruction.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
The cult of WoG is such a fascinating thing.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Milky Moor posted:

The cult of WoG is such a fascinating thing.

A Silmarillion by any other name...

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

what's wog?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Lone Goat posted:

what's wog?

Word of God. Wildbow constantly posts things on various forums, subreddits, and comments sections with extra setting information and explanations not given in the actual text. These are technically canon (although you could make a Death of the Author argument that it can be ignored) and is referenced thoroughly in fan discussions and on the fan wiki.

It’s kind of obnoxious that there’s an extra source of information that I don’t have access to because I don’t obsessively read Worm subreddits and SpaceBattles threads, but I’m also glad that this isn’t getting shoved into even more interlude chapters that aren’t directly germane to the plot.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Ward 5.12: I feel stupid being unsure of whether the Speedrunners deliberately betrayed Snag's group or got Valefored off-screen because I'm not sure if the story expects this to be the most obvious thing in the world or a complete misreading of the chapter. I did go back and re-read the start of the commotion a few extra times and I'm struggling to read it in a different way but it seems kinda random.

Other than that, I'm thinking this was probably not the Fallen plan A because even though it's a powerful move in general, it puts Mama in a pretty drat precarious position here. I guess team March might have screwed things up for them by incapacitating her to such an extent? Speaking of March, I was kinda expecting the Undersiders to show up with Rain's cluster and having the double-whammy of cluster-animosity be what ruined things, but it's never too late I suppose.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Personally, I don't understand the disdain some people have for Word of God type info dumps. I think it is important to note regarding the WoG stuff that this isn't just Wildbow (or any other web serialist who provides such errata) producing story relevant info and proactively posting blogs about it outside of their text. Wildbow, and other authors who interact with their fan communities, comment on questions which are posed either to them directly or speculatively amongst the community itself. It is a symptom of the much greater level of connection between creator and consumer in the digital age, and I personally think it is great. Complaining about fans interacting with creators in this way is living in the past instead of embracing the medium for what it is.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Yeah... personally I treat WoG as a suggestion rather than canon, especially since Wildbow's changed things writing them down from what he had said on the side before, I'm pretty sure. The Thinker thing makes sense but it really comes down to the fact that Nilbog was able to be contained and that directly fighting him would give him a motivation to escalate further, I feel like. Once he's already 'processed' the town there's nothing more that's lost by sealing him in... everyone is already dead.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I think even wildbow specifically said that anything outside the text itself shouldn't be taken as canon, so I guess that's WoG resonance serving as a canceler?

While we're on the topic, Nilbolg is probably the subject of my least favorite WoG thing ever- I know WB does absurd amounts of planning/worldbuilding that never makes it into the story, as evinced by a lot of the awesomest parts of the setting never being expanded on (I seriously wish I was reading a story about the machine army from Amy and Riley's perspective right now), and a lot of his WoG stuff is just "Oh yeah, here's something relevant that I never found a way to bring up in-story". That having been said, I remember someone bringing up the fact that Nilbolg makes zero sense in the setting because his behavior doesn't fuel his shard's conflict drive, and the official explanation was that his particular shard is part of a backup plan to create a biological reserve in case the target species wipe themselves out early. I suppose that technically makes sense, but it sounds like such an asspull that it convinced me to explicitly stop paying attention to WoG stuff unless it was super-duper interesting.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

By the way, the reason I thought Nilbog was portrayed as wise wasn't Dot's reaction to him, but rather the fact that Amy didn't seem to think what Riley's opinion was ridiculous. The main issue with my reading is that I overlooked the fact that Amy is still probably a very troubled person.

edit: You know, I was just thinking - is there any reason Amy can't just replicate Nilbog's power? She can create life, after all (like the big beetle Taylor used was technically alive, even though she didn't give it much of a mind). Maybe it's just too hard for her to create a sapient mind or something? I can obviously understand why she wouldn't want to, but it seems like it should technically be possible.

Omi no Kami posted:

I remember reading a WoG about this (I think the poster had asked WB why they didn't firebomb Nilbog's kingdom), and at least in pre-GM world he said that the PRT had an entire army of high-level Thinkers running analysis for them, and every day they'd have each thinker run through a battery of questions along the lines of "For each S-class threat currently being monitored, what if we: blow it up, burn it, kick it, spit on it, leave it alone," and so forth. For a lot of threats, thinker analysis regularly indicated that leaving it alone was dramatically safer than any of their casual options for destruction.

The main reasoning I can think of for not dropping bombs on Nilbog is that it's very possible he could just send a bunch of things out to wreak havoc if it seems like he was doomed (and I think his organisms probably survive even if he dies). So as long as he's not attacking anyone, it's the easiest option to leave him be.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Apr 3, 2018

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Ward 5.12: I feel stupid being unsure of whether the Speedrunners deliberately betrayed Snag's group or got Valefored off-screen because I'm not sure if the story expects this to be the most obvious thing in the world or a complete misreading of the chapter. I did go back and re-read the start of the commotion a few extra times and I'm struggling to read it in a different way but it seems kinda random.

Other than that, I'm thinking this was probably not the Fallen plan A because even though it's a powerful move in general, it puts Mama in a pretty drat precarious position here. I guess team March might have screwed things up for them by incapacitating her to such an extent? Speaking of March, I was kinda expecting the Undersiders to show up with Rain's cluster and having the double-whammy of cluster-animosity be what ruined things, but it's never too late I suppose.

I think the text is presenting it as ambiguous, but I'm having a hard time imagining an established, non-insane group willingly working for the Fallen. At worst they tried to sell them out to the Fallen for a quick buck and got mind-whammied then. This definitely isn't plan A for them, or B, or C... I'm not even sure if they actually have a plan at this point aside from making this hurt as much as possible, I think they're just sort of self-destructing, which makes sense given the whole, y'know, death cult thing.

So, Snag is probably dead, or at least about to be? Is that what knocked the rest of them unconscious? Gonna be fun if the survivors get kicked into the mindspace, see that there are only four spaces now, and take a long, hard look at the 'empty' space.

So, now that vision and speech are out, what's next for Valefor? Charades-based mind control? Interpretive Dance?

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I think the text is presenting it as ambiguous, but I'm having a hard time imagining an established, non-insane group willingly working for the Fallen. At worst they tried to sell them out to the Fallen for a quick buck and got mind-whammied then.

Yeah it is a bit out of nowhere, but I reread it again just in case and there's no way to read what happens as anything but the Speedrunners helping MaMa/Valefor at that point. Secondhand catches her, and both Last Minute and Final Hour's powers are protecting Valefor when Vicky strikes him. In addition to that they're clearly the fastest to react of all the heroes/villains and manage to do so in coordination no less, and also conspicuously strike at the heroes rather than the Fallen.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Insurrectionist posted:

Yeah it is a bit out of nowhere, but I reread it again just in case and there's no way to read what happens as anything but the Speedrunners helping MaMa/Valefor at that point. Secondhand catches her, and both Last Minute and Final Hour's powers are protecting Valefor when Vicky strikes him. In addition to that they're clearly the fastest to react of all the heroes/villains and manage to do so in coordination no less, and also conspicuously strike at the heroes rather than the Fallen.

I was slightly confused, I though that Last Minute or whoever tossed the repeatedly-exploding bomb into the middle of the Hollow Point group (which would be a pretty clear sign that they aren't in their right minds), but that paragraph is imprecisely worded and could be referring to the heroes. So, on second read, this still could be the Speedrunners doing what Snag & co (but presumably not Prancer) want... or they could be Valefor'd and creating chaos as a distraction so they can get Mama to safety. Either one is interesting!

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

I was slightly confused, I though that Last Minute or whoever tossed the repeatedly-exploding bomb into the middle of the Hollow Point group (which would be a pretty clear sign that they aren't in their right minds), but that paragraph is imprecisely worded and could be referring to the heroes. So, on second read, this still could be the Speedrunners doing what Snag & co (but presumably not Prancer) want... or they could be Valefor'd and creating chaos as a distraction so they can get Mama to safety. Either one is interesting!

It is plausible that Snag&Co's plan is actually quite different from what we've been led to believe so far, and they want Mama/Valefor alive and in their own hands for whatever reason. Either way, it's clear the Speedrunners want that at the very least.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Isn't Valefor's "updated" ability basically an objectively superior version of Canary's that doesn't require singing?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I think Canary's is more direct and immediate when it comes to giving orders? Also she can do D&D bard things like inspire groups of people and increase morale and that sort of stuff, from what I understand.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

edit: You know, I was just thinking - is there any reason Amy can't just replicate Nilbog's power? She can create life, after all (like the big beetle Taylor used was technically alive, even though she didn't give it much of a mind). Maybe it's just too hard for her to create a sapient mind or something? I can obviously understand why she wouldn't want to, but it seems like it should technically be possible.
The reason Amy would be a less efficient Nilbog is she'd have to very consciously plan everything out, including instincts and stuff. I get the impression Nilbog comes 'pre-loaded' with mental templates and the like. Depending on how weird he can make his guys, he could be a bit of a knockoff Amy with the potential to create plagues and the like, as well. Of course he can't heal anyone other than his own creations and I can't remember how well he can heal them. I'm not sure how small he can make things either, like, COULD he make a plague?

Dot establishes Nilbog's creations are able to reproduce viably even if abandoned by him, so if he felt threatened he could absolutely have sent out a bunch of small, easy to miss, fanatic biological weapons that can create more of themselves and that worship him so deeply if he dies they will never stop taking revenge. I think that's what pushes him to S-class. If they couldn't reproduce then you'd just have to wait for them to die of old age, at the worst.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 3, 2018

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Isn't Valefor's "updated" ability basically an objectively superior version of Canary's that doesn't require singing?
Mmmm... I'd say the one flaw is that people need to believe Valefor is referring to them, whereas I'm not sure if Canary has that restriction. But I don't think not requiring singing makes his better, anyway, since it does require speech. Like, Canary is a professional singer, singing is not a restriction to her.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Also Canary's doesn't explicitly require singing, she told her ex to go gently caress himself for example and I doubt she sang that.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Silynt posted:

Personally, I don't understand the disdain some people have for Word of God type info dumps.

By having what amounts to 'secret knowledge' to understand the whole story, it encourages this idea that any given story is perfect, without flaws, plot holes, oversights or errors. It reinforces the idea that creating something is a once and done process that springs fully formed from the mind of the author and not an iterative one where things change. But, I mean... Is there a WoG for why Tattletale gets how tinkers work entirely wrong early in the story?

It's like Star Wars where there has to be this idea of only seeing an entire universe through a little letter slot view (again, it's no coincidence that the term WoG comes from Spacebattles), that there's a whole other world of information out there that the author imparts like an oracle or documentarian as opposed to weaving on the fly. People need to believe, like Omi does a few posts up, that there's reams and reams of worldbuilding info that we just don't see. Things like Sleeper's power and Parian's true power, for example. There's something about the thought that both of them are inscribed on some .doc somewhere that seems to give people comfort.

But it's just marketing (and I bet people would pitch a fit if I said WB was a very canny marketer.) Very few authors are going to reply to a fan question with little more than 'I don't know' or 'I got that wrong' or 'I could handle that better in the next draft' or 'I never considered that beyond that one mention'.

Instead you get 'My five year arc never changed', 'Dumbledore is gay' and 'the PRT has thinkers saying that the plot had to go this way'.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

The Shortest Path posted:

Also Canary's doesn't explicitly require singing, she told her ex to go gently caress himself for example and I doubt she sang that.

Canary's power is that she sings first, then anyone who listens become extremely prone to suggestion. I think the longer they listen the better it works? It also doesn't have to be her giving the suggestion or command, as long as they got whammied by her song first.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

By having what amounts to 'secret knowledge' to understand the whole story, it encourages this idea that any given story is perfect, without flaws, plot holes, oversights or errors. It reinforces the idea that creating something is a once and done process that springs fully formed from the mind of the author and not an iterative one where things change. But, I mean... Is there a WoG for why Tattletale gets how tinkers work entirely wrong early in the story?

I mean, first off, it's not "secret knowledge", it's not hidden or particularly difficult to find. And second off, I'm incredibly loving tired of the mindset that goes into finding "plot holes". Maybe it's going too far to pretend that stories are perfect and flawless, but it honestly feels like a fair price to me for dispensing with the plot hole people. "Fan theories" written by dumb people can be annoying, but not nearly as annoying as "plot holes" found by dumb people. True, sometimes a story just isn't that deep, and the author didn't really think something through that well. But in general, if your immediate reaction to being confused by something in a story is to assume that the author doesn't know what they're doing, you're a really bad reader (particularly if you're very dumb and get confused easily). If the author has an explanation for something, I don't really care whether they came up with it before or after writing the story, because the point is that there is an explanation for it, breaking the plot hole mindset of "anything I don't understand literally right now is an oversight on the part of the author and proof that this is a very bad story".

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

21 Muns posted:

If the author has an explanation for something, I don't really care whether they came up with it before or after writing the story, because the point is that there is an explanation for it...

This says it all, really. Like I said, there's a need to have everything explained as if from an oracle (literally Word of God). Not sure what's with the strange screed about dumb people and plot holes, though.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 3, 2018

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i have found, personally, that it's best to pay as little attention to milky bore as possible

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Milky Moor posted:

This says it all, really.

The author doesn't even really need to explain it; if it can be explained, it's not a plot hole. It being the author just means that when you say "no that's bullshit gently caress you" it's even less credible than if you dismissed anyone else who'd come up with the same explanation. Plot-hole-seekers are just bored miserable cynics who have no joy in their life and probably use Something Awful dot com.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So, now that vision and speech are out, what's next for Valefor? Charades-based mind control? Interpretive Dance?

In Worm 3, he'll use sign language to command legions of deaf capes until one of Rachel's dogs bite his hands off. In worm 4 he'll stomp out commands in morse code until someone cuts his legs off, and so forth... what I'm getting at is that Valefor is basically just monty python's black knight, and this is going to continue until he's a particularly angry stump reduced to using pantomime to order around an army of mimes.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

21 Muns posted:

The author doesn't even really need to explain it; if it can be explained, it's not a plot hole. It being the author just means that when you say "no that's bullshit gently caress you" it's even less credible than if you dismissed anyone else who'd come up with the same explanation. Plot-hole-seekers are just bored miserable cynics who have no joy in their life and probably use Something Awful dot com.

You're misreading Moor here. When they say "there is a need", they don't mean "this material requires further supplementary material to 'make sense', it is insufficient in itself", they mean "people have a need" for lore, background etc.- they want the author to explain their work to them. The important part of that sentence is "as if from an oracle".

The criticism isn't about the content of the work- "there are plot holes in this story"- it's about the manner in which people relate to the media they consume.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Autonomous Monster posted:

You're misreading Moor here. When they say "there is a need", they don't mean "this material requires further supplementary material to 'make sense', it is insufficient in itself", they mean "people have a need" for lore, background etc.- they want the author to explain their work to them. The important part of that sentence is "as if from an oracle".

The criticism isn't about the content of the work- "there are plot holes in this story"- it's about the manner in which people relate to the media they consume.

That wasn't what I was responding to; Moor edited in that part of their post later. I was clarifying Moor's own misread of what I said, as he was implying that I support authorial explanations because I want things to be explained. In reality, I was coming from nearly the opposite place. I was pushing back on his opposition to authorial explanations because he sees it as a cheat to cover up plot holes whereas I think that a "plot holes"-centered approach to criticism has historically proven extremely counterproductive precisely because people want explanations for everything spoonfed to them.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

21 Muns posted:

That wasn't what I was responding to; Moor edited in that part of their post later. I was clarifying Moor's own misread of what I said, as he was implying that I support authorial explanations because I want things to be explained. In reality, I was coming from nearly the opposite place. I was pushing back on his opposition to authorial explanations because he sees it as a cheat to cover up plot holes whereas I think that a "plot holes"-centered approach to criticism has historically proven extremely counterproductive precisely because people want explanations for everything spoonfed to them.

This is incredible to me because 'plot holes' was a late addition to my post and I did it over the screaming in my head that told me someone would go nuts about those two particular words. Literally two words in a post that wasn't about plot holes at all, and much more about how people consume media and what they expect from authors.

It's also weird because I never said it was a cheat. I said it is marketing and that no author is going to be truly honest about their own work. I think you're a tad defensive and/or imagining me as the CinemaSins guys.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Pussy Quipped posted:

Canary's power is that she sings first, then anyone who listens become extremely prone to suggestion. I think the longer they listen the better it works? It also doesn't have to be her giving the suggestion or command, as long as they got whammied by her song first.
She can also do stuff as she sings, since Taylor uses her as a morale booster in the final fight, or something. Considering she didn't get in trouble for people re-enacting the lyrics of her songs or anything I doubt it works the same way as her post-song commands. So yeah, Valefor has the objectively stronger power, Canary might be more versatile depending on how her stuff when singing works.

EDIT: I should probably reread Worm some time but that's going to take forever.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think I’d agree with the interpretation of non-work WoG stuff being essentially marketing, although in the way additional works in the same universe are marketing. It promotes the initial work primarily by having people who are already fans ‘hold’ their fan status for longer, by receiving additional content they crave. I think it can also be fun for the author because a lot of work does go into writing that you don’t get to use, so it’s a convenient way to recycle that while also creating new content.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 4, 2018

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Tanz! posted:

I think I’d agree with the interpretation of non-work WoG stuff being essentially marketing, although in the way additional works in the same universe are marketing. It promotes the initial work primarily by having people who are already fans ‘hold’ their fan status for longer, by receiving additional content they crave. I think it can also be fun for the author because a lot of work does go into writing that you don’t get to use, so it’s a convient way to recycle that while also creating new content.

Yeah its behind the scenes poo poo and its fun.

I dont even interact with other fans beyond this thread, but the occasional link to some detail or whatever is a nice little thing. Harmless or mostly harmless.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like in practice it's a form of marketing, but not necessarily consciously so. Like it isn't exactly difficult for me to believe that wildbow just enjoys thinking up this setting and all its details.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Smilies in PHO posts? :unsmigghh:

blastron posted:

Word of God. Wildbow constantly posts things on various forums, subreddits, and comments sections with extra setting information and explanations not given in the actual text. These are technically canon (although you could make a Death of the Author argument that it can be ignored) and is referenced thoroughly in fan discussions and on the fan wiki.

I don't think he's the WoG maniac you make him out to be? He abandoned SpaceBattles entirely multiple years ago, and the wikia is full of fanon and shouldn't be trusted. The way I see it, he doesn't constantly post so much as he gets constantly bugged about stuff and sometimes adds some context, then fans go nuts about it or people write fanfics, sperg out, and waste gigabits of bandwidth talking about it and referencing it as justification, as if it mattered more than the text or narrative. But then it looks like he's making constant pronouncements on the story from the point of view of people who are interested in the background but don't care to find every last scrap of information.

EDIT: not that he doesn't sometimes indulge in that exposition anyhow, just that it's not the bulk of it IMO

---

Entirely unrelated though, I love your translation work on Honzuki. If I could pay to get more translations sooner, I would, though it sounds like you'd burn out if you didn't pace yourself as you do. Given that you don't want money (according to your tumblr) or anything, I want to at least say thanks and ask if there's anything non-monetary (i.e. technical) I can do to help. Also, the table of contents is out of date.

Doctor w-rw-rw- fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 4, 2018