Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

In the OP there's a guy (likely a future teammate) with a unicorn-horned Barbatos wielding some sort of big hammer/pincer thing and what looks like a shoulder mounted mortar. It's actually not that flashy, kind of sand-coloured.

E: Fuckit, here's a screen.

I'm glad the Obari pose has ascended beyond swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Kuvo posted:

i would watch a gundam show set in UC 0085 about some dude in the R&D section of Anaheim. Themes could include the political changes after 0083, the ethical implications of constructing progressively more insane suits, and the sisyphean effort of getting HR to sort out his 401K situation

I want to see this scene from Pentagon Wars but with giant robots instead.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I want to see this scene from Pentagon Wars but with giant robots instead.

So the story of the ZZ?

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
so uh, anyone got an absolute stage 1 beginner painting tutorial?

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

BizarroAzrael posted:

This and the preview suggest a team element yes, that guy, the ninja girl and the the school friends we've met. He looks kind of interesting, like an elf mage that pilots a more brutal version of the most brutal suit from the most brutal Gundam show.

The team element is literally what killed Build Fighters Try, so that just makes me immediately wary of the show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I found Warhammer TV's tutorials really helpful, even if they are for a different kind of model

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAUUIZZ8X0w

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The team element is literally what killed Build Fighters Try, so that just makes me immediately wary of the show.

First episode already has me really cautious. The team play was okay but I'm worried about how the world is set up.

Regardless the suits are, as always, cool. So it doesn't matter a whole lot

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Diabetes Forecast posted:

The show has been very clear about there being a broad range of mission types. It's likely to be less 5v5 every time and more like 1-2 of them get in on the fight of the current episode(s).

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

Bits and pieces still missing, but enough to notice that I've made the rear end-end entirely too long:

Dainsleif in its little known dual-fire configuration, never seen on-screen:

Also affirming my long-held belief that (bootleg) Figma stands are the pinnacle of action stands.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The show has been very clear about there being a broad range of mission types. It's likely to be less 5v5 every time and more like 1-2 of them get in on the fight of the current episode(s).

Probably going to vary. I mean, the Big Tournament they focused on in the preview was ten on ten. Guessing there'll be a few full team battles, a couple focus fights for supporting characters, and a lot of fights for the lead and maybe one or two other characters. Variable setup should work at least a little better.

In theory, I mean.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

http://otakurevolution.com/content/laymans-gunpla-guide is a great start for information.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's a new gashapon line launching alongside Build Divers. The gimmick is that they combine into, uh, something. This.

Or you can combine them with Gunpla, if you want to, for some reason.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hey, this is useful, thanks!

Also, jokes about painting not being fun aside, it's frankly not what I'm interested in for now. I use kits as pleasant 3D puzzles, so to speak, and while I like using my gunpla marker to add in panel lines, I'm not interested in adding more detail. Also, while I paint with acrylics to make art, transferring these kits to that studio and back would just be... nope. Too much extra effort. (And extra cost, and extra time, etc etc)

So I appreciate you guys trying to sell me on it, but nah, I'll stick to the basics for now.

On a happier note, thanks to guys pointing out good Overwatch-y kits, my friend has bought her second kit. :D

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

More shots of the Leo are out, mostly the same. There is a good shot of the new Evolve point for this one, though:

This is the "Easy disassembly for painting" that they talked about, and I think it looks pretty legit. The foot will still require a bit more disassembly, but otherwise it looks pretty simple to paint each of those pieces without anything more.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

EVGA Longoria posted:

More shots of the Leo are out, mostly the same. There is a good shot of the new Evolve point for this one, though:

This is the "Easy disassembly for painting" that they talked about, and I think it looks pretty legit. The foot will still require a bit more disassembly, but otherwise it looks pretty simple to paint each of those pieces without anything more.

The fact that they are taking easy unassembly into consideration for painting is such a great idea.

It's one thing to have an idea in your head on how you want to paint it. But being able to easily pull it apart after building without resulting to modifying all the pegs or opening the holes would be a godsend.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Guy Goodbody posted:

There's a new gashapon line launching alongside Build Divers. The gimmick is that they combine into, uh, something. This.

Or you can combine them with Gunpla, if you want to, for some reason.

Gunpla is FREEDOM, okay

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Build Divers and Gunpla Battle in general makes me wish that they'd create a tabletop battle system so I can really like out my SET YOUR GP BASE fantasy.

There's a battle system on reddit but I'd like something official and sanctioned. Would really get me going with custom builds.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Zodack posted:

Build Divers and Gunpla Battle in general makes me wish that they'd create a tabletop battle system so I can really like out my SET YOUR GP BASE fantasy.

There's a battle system on reddit but I'd like something official and sanctioned. Would really get me going with custom builds.

There's a game that goes with the 1/400 Gundam Collection capsule toys but it's never been translated as far as I know.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The problem is that most Gundam models would make trrrible game pieces.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

High grades on action bases are about the size of knight titans in 40k and people play armies of those, so a gundam game based around small scale skirmishes of like 2-4 kits a side would be totally doable on a standard 4x4 or 4x6 TTG table.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Goodbody posted:

My Battletech group said I couldn't bring my 1/48 Mega-Size Zaku 2 :(

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Are MGs or any kits for that matter supposed to be super wobbly on stands? I have the two I built on a cabinet and they shake like mad whenever I open or close a door.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

My Battletech group said I couldn't bring my 1/48 Mega-Size Zaku 2 :(

Obviously, they're objecting to you bringing the wrong scale. Try something closer to 1/200.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

EVGA Longoria posted:

I hope the black pieces are a softer plastic because otherwise those leg hinges look like they'll wear out pretty fast with repeated use.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

High grades on action bases are about the size of knight titans in 40k and people play armies of those, so a gundam game based around small scale skirmishes of like 2-4 kits a side would be totally doable on a standard 4x4 or 4x6 TTG table.

Knights and Titans are fixed pose and glued to the stand. Gundams are full of articulation. To use a HG as a game piece like a Knight, you'd have to glue all the joints. Otherwise they'd be flopping around and falling over as you picked them up and moved them throughout the course of the game.

Here's an Imperial Knight, in case people don't know

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Guy Goodbody posted:

Knights and Titans are fixed pose and glued to the stand. Gundams are full of articulation. To use a HG as a game piece like a Knight, you'd have to glue all the joints. Otherwise they'd be flopping around and falling over as you picked them up and moved them throughout the course of the game.

You either have incredibly bad luck with model joint tolerances or are an extremely rowdy tabletop player, because Ive proxied gundams as models before in other games and never had a problem with kits flopping everywhere.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Romes128 posted:

Are MGs or any kits for that matter supposed to be super wobbly on stands? I have the two I built on a cabinet and they shake like mad whenever I open or close a door.

If you use the included stands yeah, they are super generic and not designed for specific kits and the kits sit too far forward of the centre of gravity.

Action bases are heaps better as you can manipulate them to move the centre of gravity.

However if you glue some weights to the included stands they are ok.

IronCastKnight
Jul 27, 2013

EVGA Longoria posted:

Oh my yes, this is what I hope all future kits do, particularly for curvier suits like the Qubeley. I had to saw the internal arm parts in half, replace the lost material with plaplate, then glue them in afterwards just to airbrush the arm armor, which was still less of an impossible nightmare than painting in as stock would have been.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mordja posted:

In the OP there's a guy (likely a future teammate) with a unicorn-horned Barbatos wielding some sort of big hammer/pincer thing and what looks like a shoulder mounted mortar. It's actually not that flashy, kind of sand-coloured.

E: Fuckit, here's a screen.

Looks like it might be a Dainsleif rather than a mortar, considering it's IBO. A nasty blend of the Flauros amd Gusion Rebake Full City.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The nub marks on this are killing me.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Looks like it might be a Dainsleif rather than a mortar, considering it's IBO. A nasty blend of the Flauros amd Gusion Rebake Full City.

If you're right then I can't wait for horrendous anime MMO warcrimes in a Gundam for children. :unsmigghh:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordja posted:

If you're right then I can't wait for horrendous anime MMO warcrimes in a Gundam for children. :unsmigghh:

They already have "Let's Build a Solar Ray!" as a game mode.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Guy Goodbody posted:

Gundam needs an official minis or hex-and-chit game. I'm not sure if I'd want to use HGs as game pieces though.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

1/144 gunpla would make fantastic game pieces if you had a cool city street terrain setup.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Anyone know of any place I could buy ABS spheres of a similar size to that of an HG sized arm connector that would sit in a polycap?

I don't really want to buy another Hugo to scavenge parts just for this. (Or do I? 6 legs arms????)

I realised that I completely over-complicated the current connection as I should have basically just found a part to glue to the end, instead of sanding down the part to the right diameter. It sits in but any movement causes the arm to fall out.

I've got no other spares in any of my completed kits that would fit. Or long shot, any Aus goons have two spare arms to suit from any trashed kits they'd be willing to part with?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If HLJ is an option for you, Wave and Kotobukiya sell packages of various size balljoints. With a drill bit + xacto you can cut off the damaged joint and drill a hole to slot the new joint into.

Alternatively you can use superglue or epoxy putty to thicken the existing joint.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Yeah I've just spotted those Koto ball and peg joint pack, which would be great but they don't have any measurements.

Basically in my pic I need another set of arms I can use to cut the ball end off and attach to the part in the bottom right.

The ball and pin kit would be perfect if I could find one that's 4mm in diameter.

I reckon I've got a good chance with this http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10291708

Puddin fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Apr 5, 2018

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://hlj.com/product/gsc93573

MODEROID God Mars is up for pre-order.

Tsubasa2004
Feb 14, 2003

Puddin posted:

The ball and pin kit would be perfect if I could find one that's 4mm in diameter.

According to the CAD drawing on Koto's site, that pack contains 3mm, 3.5mm, 5mm, 6mm, and 8mm balls. For 4mm balls, I think you want Wave's BJ-04

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

TaurusOxford posted:

https://hlj.com/product/gsc93573

MODEROID God Mars is up for pre-order.

I hope this means their Mazin sold well, we really need more super robot kits.