Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Snoo posted:

god bless

What a chubster :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so, what do you all use for your cage substrates? I've been experimenting and can't find the right thing.

My goal is to keep ammonia and food dust low, not so much even for me but because it irritates their little snoots.

I've tried:
1. Full-cage coated wood; collected piss real fast, awkward to clean
2. Full-cage fleece; collects dust from food etc, difficult to clean without pulling the whole lot out
3. Partial-cage fleece; one or two of the rats will throw it out of the cage
4. Bare bars; still collects some piss, neither hard nor easy to clean, concerns about bumblefoot
5. Partial-cage perspex sheets; collects lots of piss from floors above, similar issues to the wood, easy to clean but needs doing at least daily

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

since our cage had bare wire and no trays or anything, I cut pieces of vinyl flooring to size to cover the wire, and use fleece pads I made to fit the cage that are fleece on top and a wicking fabric on the bottom, which we clean poop off of daily-ish and change every 3 days. they love to move it around a LOT but it's weighed down in a couple of corners with their bricks and some heavier houses.

still lots of pee!!! pisssss

edit: I was at work when I wrote this earlier but uh my girls haven't had any (noticeable) respiratory issues outside of the first day we brought them home and finky almost died bc they were both sick before we got them :shepface: but we do change the liners frequently and they have a huge cage for two rats, so there's more space for pee. I change their main hammock once a week and I have fleece scraps and small pads I switch out with the liners for their hanging basket that they love.

as for food, the cage has two plastic platforms and one food bowl is on one of those, and the other food bowl is on their brick next to the water bottle. so those are easy to brush/wipe the food dust off of!

snoo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 4, 2018

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

The Snoo posted:

my silly rat crew gangtag is available if anyone wants it! :v:

my girls had their first outing (in a 'small' dog carrier, at my parents' place for the day bc they were doing pest control poo poo at our apartment) and they did extremely well, they're not afraid of the carrier despite all of that excitement and i'm very proud of them

Hello, I'm the moderator of ADTRW and I'm here to say thank you, for a great tag, I love it!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

The Snoo posted:

edit: I was at work when I wrote this earlier but uh my girls haven't had any (noticeable) respiratory issues outside of the first day we brought them home and finky almost died bc they were both sick before we got them :shepface: but we do change the liners frequently and they have a huge cage for two rats, so there's more space for pee. I change their main hammock once a week and I have fleece scraps and small pads I switch out with the liners for their hanging basket that they love.

I'm probably pushing a bit too far in the clean cage direction since I'm reasonably sure it's what lead to them all having a myco flareup a couple of weeks after arrival, and one can't seem to shake it.

The Snoo posted:

as for food, the cage has two plastic platforms and one food bowl is on one of those, and the other food bowl is on their brick next to the water bottle. so those are easy to brush/wipe the food dust off of!

The problem is they like to carry the food to odd places before they eat it. Right now they mostly eat in the litter trays so that's fine but previously they would eat in cosy spots which for one or two of them meant wrapped up in the fleece.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.

Scholtz posted:

What, in your opinion, is the cutest rat behavior?

My favorite is when my girls already have a mouth full of food, but still try to shovel even more food into their maws, even resorting to using their front paws.

When they were younger my dumbos would fall asleep in the hood of my jacket :3: Cookie fell asleep in my lap a couple of weeks ago after tiring herself out and it was unbelievably precious.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

The Snoo posted:

my silly rat crew gangtag is available if anyone wants it! :v:

my girls had their first outing (in a 'small' dog carrier, at my parents' place for the day bc they were doing pest control poo poo at our apartment) and they did extremely well, they're not afraid of the carrier despite all of that excitement and i'm very proud of them

How do I get the location for this gang tag? cant find it for some reason.

Content: My little pearl has a hurt (sprain?) rear left foot, but just yesterday I noticed she has some weird blackish gross bump on her rear right foot. Seems pretty okay, might be a cyst? Time to see what vets charge to look at a rat.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm probably pushing a bit too far in the clean cage direction since I'm reasonably sure it's what lead to them all having a myco flareup a couple of weeks after arrival, and one can't seem to shake it.

The problem is they like to carry the food to odd places before they eat it. Right now they mostly eat in the litter trays so that's fine but previously they would eat in cosy spots which for one or two of them meant wrapped up in the fleece.

haha, my girls will eat their oxbow triangles at the food bowl, but anything else (no matter how big) they'll drag into a hammock/under the liner/etc. :nallears:

I hope your one rat improves :( after our initial non-myco respiratory issues, we got extremely anxious about keeping things clean for them so I get it!

a lot of people don't recommend fleece when it's used alone, since it doesn't actually... do anything but let the pee just sit under it. I did find some washable pet 'underpads' that other rat websites recommended, meant to absorb pee, that I would consider buying and sewing fleece on top of for aesthetics and softness, tbh

Paladine_PSoT posted:

How do I get the location for this gang tag? cant find it for some reason.

I'm an idiot and not entirely sure what you're asking but here's the link you'd add to your custom title text!!

code:
[img]http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/ratcrew.gif[/img]

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Hi rat thread. After a brief flirtation with owning mice, a couple of years ago I eventually convinced myself (through the aid of this very thread) that upsizing to rats was the way to go. I have never looked back since, they're such gorgeous and gentle little things.

Here, let me share with you a picture of my girls.

Sorry, that one didn't quite work let me try again.

Ah fuggit, nevermind.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I see your ratto has mastered the classic hammock improving technique of the ratkind.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

I see your ratto has mastered the classic hammock improving technique of the ratkind.

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’ve no idea what you’re talking about

Awwww geeez.
That is so perfect. :kimchi:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Content: My little pearl has a hurt (sprain?) rear left foot, but just yesterday I noticed she has some weird blackish gross bump on her rear right foot. Seems pretty okay, might be a cyst? Time to see what vets charge to look at a rat.

Update: pearl has a sprain on her right leg and a little abscess on her left. Antibiotics and antiinflammatories for her!

Also she is barely 200g full grown, tiny little squeeker.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Update: pearl has a sprain on her right leg and a little abscess on her left. Antibiotics and antiinflammatories for her!

Also she is barely 200g full grown, tiny little squeeker.

Gosh! My juvies weigh more than that. Hope she recovers well.

Having another go at the fleece. Rex here always liked it the most.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Thanks to whoever got me the gang tag! I'll love it forever! :D

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
All these rat snoots are making me :3: IRL.

As for cage lining, I used Blue Buffalo's walnut cat litter and that worked out really well re:controlling odor.

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

:siren: WE HAVE NEW RATS! :siren:

We're still quite stumped on what to call them. We're currently using Mäy and Nana as project names.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan posted:

:siren: WE HAVE NEW RATS! :siren:

We're still quite stumped on what to call them. We're currently using Mäy and Nana as project names.

I love those tiny beans. :3:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Grubbelina and Tootsmin

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses beer boxes in rat cages

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I will have you know that we only use the finest general purpose alcohol delivery boxes sanctioned by the finnish alcohol monopoly in our cages :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I don't drink so mine get Monster boxes.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Amazon shipping boxes work really well too! (And for the geekier among us, LootGaming boxes add a cute bit of whimsy to the cage...for approx 5 minutes before they are chewed to oblivion redesigned.)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

I move to henceforth refer to all rat cages as "Chaos Factories".

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Mine are currently destroying a puppy pad so I'd back that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Would explain the constant munchies

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

I dunno if I want to be a man anymore I'd rather be a rat who smokes 100,000x their bodyweight.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
this site doesn't deserve my cute pet pics

Guy Mann fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 24, 2019

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

father... please, release us

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Scholtz posted:

I love those snoots. :kimchi:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Scholtz posted:

Food trek 2: the rat of Khan

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, is that a sunflower seed?"

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I'm glad my rats can bring other people any amount of the joy they bring me. :kimchi:

By the by, if anyone else has a Critter Nation, Milk Bone Mini's are the best thing ever because the bars are spaced just enough to put one in, twist it, and leave it stuck there. I love leaving the peanut butter ones as surprises for my girls.

e:

We just hit the 12 year anniversary of our gang tag's inspiration!

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 15, 2018

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

:golfclap:

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
I'm trying to find an alternative food for my rats since most rat mixes have those alfalfa pellets that my boys seem to just think is their poo poo because they kick it outside their cage and make a mess. I got some bird food since it seems to be mostly kibble, nuts, and seeds which are great but it also has dried red peppers in it. They look like the spicy kind, will my rats uhh eat them and die?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

It won't kill them, but it might make them uncomfortable. Rats can't belch or puke, so spicy foods can give them upset tummies.

Have you tried a food pellet? There's a lot less waste, and they make a good foundation for a diet. I usually go with this brand, but I've heard great thing about Oxbow as well (though my own experience with those has been mixed.)

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I want that framed inside my house.

Vhak lord of hate posted:

I'm trying to find an alternative food for my rats since most rat mixes have those alfalfa pellets that my boys seem to just think is their poo poo because they kick it outside their cage and make a mess. I got some bird food since it seems to be mostly kibble, nuts, and seeds which are great but it also has dried red peppers in it. They look like the spicy kind, will my rats uhh eat them and die?

Mazuri also makes good rat food and there's also Harlan Tekkad lab blocks. I heartily recommend Oxbow's food.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I feed mine primarily this stuff, and they seem to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jaded Burnout posted:

I feed mine primarily this stuff, and they seem to love it.

Yeah, my ratters were quite picky and after a few different brand choices they seemed to only like that one.