Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Warming my piece of poo poo heart by burning my horrible books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alloy you wouldn't let babyfucker be botm because you were afraid it would be seen as condoning pedophilia and I won't bring it up in other threads but everytime you stop by in the lit thread I am gonna roast you on this forever

I also said seems like a gimmick book -- how many people in here have actually read the thing? Is it actually good, or just a pseudoliterary troll? Have you read it?

That said y'all really have no conception (unless you follow it actively) of how much weird and bizarre anti-SA fuckery there is out there; multiple SA mods have gotten doxxed for no reason at all beyond "was SA mod", and my boss getting a bunch of 3 AM calls because of my online book of the month club is the last extra thing I need to deal with.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

If you don't trust me by now I'm not sure you deserve to know why I think it would make a good book of the month.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

I haven't read Dandelion Wine, but a few of his other stories and books are "heart-warming" by the end.

I really like Dandelion Wine and it does a good job of capturing the wonder of childhood. I wouldn't have picked it as "heart-warming" necessarily, but it does sort of go in that direction. Of the ones there I've read Ella Minnow Pea is the most confusing selection as a heart-warming book.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Ben Nevis posted:

I really like Dandelion Wine and it does a good job of capturing the wonder of childhood. I wouldn't have picked it as "heart-warming" necessarily, but it does sort of go in that direction.

The one that came to mind was Something Wicked. It's quite horrific and nightmarish throughout, but I'd say the ending is legitimately heart-warming. Which seems to be enough for that list-maker.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
babyfucker is made BOTM

hieronymous gets dethroned by an angry QCS mob for pro-pedo sympathies

i become TBB mod

blood flows in the streets

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I also said seems like a gimmick book -- how many people in here have actually read the thing? Is it actually good, or just a pseudoliterary troll? Have you read it?

If I read it i wouldn't want it to be BotM because who the hell wants a book they already read to be in a book club

That said y'all really have no conception (unless you follow it actively) of how much weird and bizarre anti-SA fuckery there is out there; multiple SA mods have gotten doxxed for no reason at all beyond "was SA mod", and my boss getting a bunch of 3 AM calls because of my online book of the month club is the last extra thing I need to deal with.

These are all interesting and valid points but I would like to present my counter-point of "u a bitch"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

if you're worried about being doxxed for a thread about a book called babyfucker then why is this thread, which has sat in the forum you moderate for years and has a title that is a joke about having sex with children, still here?

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

A human heart posted:

if you're worried about being doxxed for a thread about a book called babyfucker then why is this thread, which has sat in the forum you moderate for years and has a title that is a joke about having sex with children, still here?

It says "Quit Being a loving Child and Read Some Real Literature," you doofus.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Sure if you count "parents: eaten by rhinoceri" as heart-warming

I thought that was Roald Dahl.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Is babyfucker really the hill you people wanna die on

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i don't want to read it because i don't want to tell people im reading a book called babyfucker or add it to my goodreads list of books ive read and if no one knows i read a book then what's the point of reading it AMIRIGHT GUYS

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
quit being a babyfucker and read babyfucker

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fridge corn posted:

quit being a babyfucker and read babyfucker

Quit Being a loving Baby and Read Babyfucker

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Alloy you wouldn't let babyfucker be botm because you were afraid it would be seen as condoning pedophilia and I won't bring it up in other threads but everytime you stop by in the lit thread I am gonna roast you on this forever

Can you really blame him after Aatrek

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Chamberk posted:

Can you really blame him after Aatrek

Ah yes, Aatrek, the man who was unfairly accused of pedophilia after posting the title of a book

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Some of y'all getting too mad about Alloy not wanting to do babyfucker.

Like, I am just teasing him a little but some of you are turning this into a moral crusade drat

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Some of y'all getting too mad about Alloy not wanting to do babyfucker.

Like, I am just teasing him a little but some of you are turning this into a moral crusade drat

Wait but who tho?

derp posted:

i don't want to read it because i don't want to tell people im reading a book called babyfucker or add it to my goodreads list of books ive read and if no one knows i read a book then what's the point of reading it AMIRIGHT GUYS

This is admittedly dumb as hell of me, but I am super anal retentive about this kind of stuff so it does kind of make me feel itchy that I will probably have to have to hole in my goodreads history, because I really don't want to have the same conversation everyone is correctly predicting will happen once I put that I am reading babyfucker

But CestMoi has never steered me wrong, he rec'ed The Book of the City of Ladies and also helped me understand some philosophy he rec'ed so by book barn rules I owe him a life debt. I will probably read it after the current crop of stuff I've gotten from the library.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
botm is for making people eat their vegetables / moving the mountain to muhammad, imo. so babyfucker would not be a very useful thing to put as botm because it would not evangelize well.

if i were mod i would not want to include it as a nom for that reason alone. but if i were a mod then i would also wish, with keening sincerity, to not be a mod.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I would wish for three more wishes.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

CestMoi posted:

I would wish for three more wishes.

oh so this is a "the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the forums of the world" kind of deal

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

just put the babyfucker thread in a dust jacket from crime and punishment or harry potter or something

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Helluva sorry to derail from the pedophilia chat, but has anybody in here read The Bone People by Keri Hulme?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

this has been discussed several times already, but any good recs for The Best Tranalation of The Oddyssey and Iliad? verse, not prose.

I’ve only read the ones that’s in public domain on Gutenberg and the like.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
as i lay dying was a 'good book,' i wanted more vardaman.
i gave up on madame bovary though, sad to say. havent done that since proust. maybe i just don't like french classics? can't win them all

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

ulvir posted:

this has been discussed several times already, but any good recs for The Best Tranalation of The Oddyssey and Iliad? verse, not prose.

I’ve only read the ones that’s in public domain on Gutenberg and the like.

As far as I know, the Fitzgerald translations are pretty universally acclaimed, especially for the Odyssey. I don't remember much about the Fagles versions, but they're also supposed to be quite good. More recently, I've read good things about Emily Wilson's Odyssey, but I haven't gotten around to reading it yet.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
emily wilson's Odyssey is Bad. it is very not good

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Huh. I'd read some raving reviews but I've not seen a single verse from it. What's so bad about it?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
like any text, there's a lot of debate over how certain key words in the Greek ought to be translated. one of the most important (not least because it shows up in the first line) is πολύ-τροπο, polytropos. here's how fagles translates the opening line; i've bolded where he's translating polytropos:

Fagles posted:

Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns

here's wilson talking about that word in an interview with the NYT:

Wilson posted:

“One of the things I struggled with,” Wilson continued, sounding more exhilarated than frustrated as she began to unpack “polytropos,” the first description we get of Odysseus, “is of course this whole question of whether he is passive — the ‘much turning’ or ‘much turned’ — right? This was —”

“Treat me,” I interrupted, “as if I don’t know Greek,” as, in fact, I do not.

“The prefix poly,” Wilson said, laughing, “means ‘many’ or ‘multiple.’ Tropos means ‘turn.’ ‘Many’ or ‘multiple’ could suggest that he’s much turned, as if he is the one who has been put in the situation of having been to Troy, and back, and all around, gods and goddesses and monsters turning him off the straight course that, ideally, he’d like to be on. Or, it could be that he’s this untrustworthy kind of guy who is always going to get out of any situation by turning it to his advantage. It could be that he’s the turner.”

and in all of this she is correct. however, this is how she ended up translating the opening line:

Wilson posted:

Tell me about a complicated man.

gently caress off immediately

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 5, 2018

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Yeah OK I can see how making the Odyssey the theme song from Shaft might not be great

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

as per this I see people has translated it as "cunning" and "resourceful" as well. Complicated isn't the worst of them, imo. but they all do seem to kind of remove some of the allure from polytropos

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I mean, meaning or not, "Tell me about a complicated man" is just ugly sounding for a loving translation of the Odyssey

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
I'm hollering about this dude, but also about weapons.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

War Nerd Iliad is the best Iliad.

I have not read War Nerd Iliad. I'm a Chapman purist.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

The Fagles is also better as it implies the narrator is asking about a specific guy infamous for his crazy journey, not just the generic "tell me a story about someone complicated"

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I don't think she necessarily meant to compete with Fagles, as her approach is very different, and I don't think it's without merit. She has a certain rhythm and flow that's different to Fagles', and quoting just the first line out of context is a bit silly. Probably not a version to use to study the poem, though

Fagles posted:

Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns
driven time and again off course, once he had plundered
the hallowed heights of Troy.
Many cities of men he saw and learned their minds,
many pains he suffered, heartsick on the open sea,
fighting to save his life and bring his comrades home.
But he could not save them from disaster, hard as he strove—
the recklessness of their own ways destroyed them all,
the blind fools, they devoured the cattle of the Sun
and the Sungod blotted out the day of their return.
Launch out on his story, Muse, daughter of Zeus,
start from where you will—sing for our time too.

Wilson posted:

Tell me about a complicated man.
Muse, tell me how he wandered and was lost
when he had wrecked the holy town of Troy,
and where he went, and who he met, the pain
he suffered in the storms at sea, and how
he worked to save his life and bring his men
back home. He failed to keep them safe; poor fools,
they ate the Sun God's cattle, and the god
kept them from home. Now goddess, child of Zeus,
tell the old story for our modern times.

but I don't know any ancient Greek, so I can't say if to a guy in Athens who was listening to a bard singing the Odyssey, the line used was closer to "Sungod blotted out the day of their return" in terms of obscurity of the vocabulary and the roundabout way of saying it, or was it a much more straightforward: "god kept them from home"

Burning Rain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 5, 2018

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I read it in Greek in school :lofty:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
On that Sungod note, for most of classical times it was a sign of literary erudition to refer to gods and heroes by roundabout ways, so for example Apollo might just be called "the archer son of Delos", which the reader would obviously understand, and one of the things translators battle with is whether to retain this (and thus make a huge sacrifice on readability) or just call him Apollo (which obviously drastically changes rhythm)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, meaning or not, "Tell me about a complicated man" is just ugly sounding for a loving translation of the Odyssey

It sounds like she's trying to do what Seamus Heaney did by translating the opening "Hwaet!" of Beowulf as "So" : going for the gruff plain introduction.

Problem is she doesn't sound like Seamus Heaney.

Her translation doesn't seem incorrect but she doesn't seem to exactly be competing with Chapman for poetical ear either.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Apr 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

It sounds like she's trying to do what Seamus Heaney did by translating the opening "Hwaet!" of Beowulf as "So" : going for the gruff plain introduction.

Problem is she doesn't sound like Seamus Heaney.

I always translate "Hwaet!" as "Listen up, motherfuckers!"