Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I always thought hwaet! was like word up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stuporstar posted:

I always translate "Hwaet!" as "Listen up, motherfuckers!"

Shibawanko posted:

I always thought hwaet! was like word up

Also legit translations I'm sure

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so anyway guess Fagles is a good choice, then?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

I like following Emily Wilson on twitter cos she puts up cool threads about her translation process and she seems to know her poo poo about other translations and their respective shortcomings. Enjoyed Fagles when I read the Odyssey though, and there are good intros to the Penguin editions of Homer

Everybody knows the best translation is Ulysses anyway though

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

ulvir posted:

so anyway guess Fagles is a good choice, then?

I mean I like Fitzgerald if only because he also did the Aeneid so you can read all three Trojan Epics in the same voice

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Isn't there a Fagles Aeneid translation?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

There is cause its sitting on my shelf right now.

I loving love Homer

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Lattimore's a very nice odyssey imo

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

hwaet should be translated as the noise Tim Allen makes in the opening to Home Improvement

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so three safe/good choices then (though IIRC Lattimore never did The Iliad?)

I’ll be a lazy twat and go for whoever’s available in stores here in town.

e: seems like Lattimore did both, must be Vergil he never translated

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

CestMoi posted:

hwaet should be translated as the noise Tim Allen makes in the opening to Home Improvement

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

CestMoi posted:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
get a feeling so complicated

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

CestMoi posted:

Tree Goat posted:

I'm hollering about this dude, but also about weapons.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I was looking up Danish translations of Bjovulf & came across this:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/listen-beowulf-opening-line-misinterpreted-for-200-years-8921027.html

I can't speak to his authority but from a lay-person's reading of the first strophe & word-order, it makes sense that it's more a "How have we not heard ..." style intro than a "Wassup! We've heard ..."

Thoughts?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Krankenstyle posted:

I was looking up Danish translations of Bjovulf & came across this:
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/books/news/listen-beowulf-opening-line-misinterpreted-for-200-years-8921027.html

I can't speak to his authority but from a lay-person's reading of the first strophe & word-order, it makes sense that it's more a "How have we not heard ..." style intro than a "Wassup! We've heard ..."

Thoughts?

It's interesting, and I certainly don't have the credentials to dispute that guy's reading, but it seems oddly in line with the downplayed "So." of Heaney's translation. It's a guy starting a story: "So. Funny thing happened. . .

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
yeah none of scholars i know still read hwaet as an exclamation on its own (like 'Lo!' or 'Listen!') but as part of the sentence that follows. Heaney's 'So' is pretty good, but even then it's probably more dramatic than the original text.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maybe "well," would be a good opener

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
so i wrote a thing, ...

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Tree Goat posted:

so i wrote a thing, ...

TRIGGERED

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I wrote a thing... so?!

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
Well, the stranger is really great so far. But it's making me worried a bit cause it's totally me re not caring about anything and just floating through life like a soulless automaton

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

The Stranger is super fantastic, and terrible. Like a child I knew what was going to happen before it did and it did and it was bad. And after the man was dead, the methodical recounting of all that happens after, and so on. I liked it very much while it made me feel bad.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Celine is better than Camus.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Maybe, but Celine was a fascist

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
Fascists Write Good

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

WatermelonGun posted:

Fascists Write Good

Been reading mishima and can confirm

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

derp posted:

Well, the stranger is really great so far. But it's making me worried a bit cause it's totally me re not caring about anything and just floating through life like a soulless automaton

its good but i think the plague and the fall are better. the stranger, to me, felt so indebted to crime and punishment that it had a real hard time stepping out of its shadow.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

found the penguin classics of The Iliad with Fagles' translation, at least. I’m considering ordering Lattimore's Odyssey online, so I can sort of compare the two in a way.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I picked up Svetlana Alexievich's The Unwomanly Face of War yesterday for a stupid price. It's not fiction, but she is a Nobel Laureate for literature. I read an extract of it online (cunningly published to coincide with the new edition release and get people like mt to buy it.) The prose was different and good.

I also picked up a Northern Irish lit mag and read it all in a day. And another Kafka book, The Trial. I still have to finish The Castle but I was reading it during a strange time in my life so we'll see how The Trial goes. As my father said of The Castle, when he read it in his twenties it sent him mad. Kafka is like that, I guess.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Tree Goat posted:

I'm hollering about this dude, but also about weapons.

Go on.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
the castle has the best ending

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

fridge corn posted:

the castle has the best ending

I was reading it while recovering from a mental health issue that had already shook my thoughts quite a bit. I was seeing my own life mapped out, to a degree, in both K's steadfast following of his purpose and not recognising where he was in his life, and the futility of his circumstance and certainty not being recognised from the other people in the village. It was a little bit destabilising for me at the time, but also there was a lot of benefit for me in finding some mad purpose in the story.

I think I stopped reading it because it seemed like Kafka was playing a trick on his readers. That the point and message had been written in the opening few pages, and every situation following his arrival was a repeating of what had already been. I was "winning" by stopping reading having realised the futility of the situation. That K would never learn, grow or better himself. And in essence, by continuing to read you had become a reflection of K's obstinance and failure to comprehend his situation. Then I found out about the great ending when I looked up a synopsis a few weeks later and felt entirely justified. All in all, it was a good, mad trip.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

derp posted:

lol

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

The Trial is less good than the Castle, because my copy of the Trial has a pull quote from a review that says "a terrifying vision of the horrors of bureaucracy" or some poo poo and it makes me angry thinking about how boring you have to be for that to be what you take from the Trial

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Yeah i hate dumb allegorical readings of Kafka.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah i hate dumb allegorical readings of Kafka.

But drawing a conclusion about Kafka, then being told that you're horribly wrong (and wrongly horrible) is the essence of Kafka.

(USER LEAPT FROM A BRIDGE FOR THIS POST)

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

The Trial is less good than the Castle, because my copy of the Trial has a pull quote from a review that says "a terrifying vision of the horrors of bureaucracy" or some poo poo and it makes me angry thinking about how boring you have to be for that to be what you take from the Trial

the elfriede jelinek book i finished the other day was pretty good, but i didn't really think there needed to be a quote on it that literally said 'jelinek gives the reader a lot to think about'

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

the face of a man with an achy breaky heart