Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Nazzadan posted:

Okay new Kalmah actually bangs, Evil Kin is just a hilariously bad song

I disagree about that song, I think it's fine, but on first listen yeah I agree this album is pretty boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Kvlt! posted:

What does everyone think of Pungent Stench? Just discovered this song and it is pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TlBRl8ax5Sw

Never did listen to them much, despite being a big fan of Martin's other project, Hollenthon. I should fix that at some point.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Gonna blah blah ignore list chat and demonstrate my obviously superior taste with Aseitas.

https://youtu.be/1F7XCE40HkA

Think a less willfully abstract modern Gorguts. Been waiting for this debut for months. Good poo poo.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BurningBeard posted:

Gonna blah blah ignore list chat and demonstrate my obviously superior taste with Aseitas.

https://youtu.be/1F7XCE40HkA

Think a less willfully abstract modern Gorguts. Been waiting for this debut for months. Good poo poo.
gently caress it, I'm sold. Somebody recommended Replicant a few days (a week, maybe?) earlier, and holy poo poo, I think a switch got flipped in me. More of this, please! :dance: :rock:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nordick posted:

What, are you gonna stuff me into a locker and steal my lunch money otherwise

Yes.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IEfi8CURY0&t=180s

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

Wark Say posted:

gently caress it, I'm sold. Somebody recommended Replicant a few days (a week, maybe?) earlier, and holy poo poo, I think a switch got flipped in me. More of this, please! :dance: :rock:

Do you know Sunless?

https://youtu.be/5VA0MVbFwLo

Don't know if your tastes run the same as mine, but dissonance for the sake of dissonance doesn’t really work for me. You have to have some groove in there. That’s why I like Aseitas and Sunless particularly.

Also Replicant is pretty loving cool. Thanks.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

I've been listening to the Flame Acausal demo from two years ago and its really good, like early bathory with a heavy dose of speed metal doing buzzsaw attacks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jvo1-ipLls

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
I woke up this morning and remembered how much I love Body Count. Then I was sad because of all the political metal I know, a good chunk of it is Nazis or otherwise rightward leaning bullshit, a good chunk of what's left is merely lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying "Let's kill the oppressors," and the majority of what's left after that is crossover thrash. Obviously I'm not against crossover thrash (if I was making lists like y'all, Body Count's self titled would be up there and not just because of affirmative action), but it shouldn't be the one holdout for leftist metal that's only grandfathered in because it was punk first. What am I missing? And nobody say Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down, of course I know who the gently caress they are and they're covered under "lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying 'Let's kill the oppressors.'"

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Alvarez IV posted:

I woke up this morning and remembered how much I love Body Count. Then I was sad because of all the political metal I know, a good chunk of it is Nazis or otherwise rightward leaning bullshit, a good chunk of what's left is merely lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying "Let's kill the oppressors," and the majority of what's left after that is crossover thrash. Obviously I'm not against crossover thrash (if I was making lists like y'all, Body Count's self titled would be up there and not just because of affirmative action), but it shouldn't be the one holdout for leftist metal that's only grandfathered in because it was punk first. What am I missing? And nobody say Rage Against the Machine or System of a Down, of course I know who the gently caress they are and they're covered under "lamenting how bad poo poo is instead of saying 'Let's kill the oppressors.'"

Grindcore dude

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Dawn Ray'd come to mind

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Alvarez IV posted:

Bit obscure, but you might like a band called Napalm Death.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Thou

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Also Iskra, and echoing Dawn Ray'd.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also if you follow Kim Kelly on twitter and wait for the next metal musician that’s revealed to be a Nazi, she’ll usually respond to the story by dropping like a hundred bandcamp links to left wing metal bands

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BurningBeard posted:

Do you know Sunless?

https://youtu.be/5VA0MVbFwLo

Don't know if your tastes run the same as mine, but dissonance for the sake of dissonance doesn’t really work for me. You have to have some groove in there. That’s why I like Aseitas and Sunless particularly.

Also Replicant is pretty loving cool. Thanks.
Yes, that was loving yummy! I actually like newer Gorguts (meaning Colin Marston and Kevin Hufnagel) more than older Gorguts, but Replicant, Aseitas and now this Sunless fellows scratch that itch really nicely.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Oh yeah Pyrrhon's latest album probably isn't quite what you're looking for but it has a great takedown of the free market (The Invisible Hand Guides the Whip). The lyrics on that album are overall great.

e: Wark Say, I assume you've tried Ulcerate and Demilich. You might like Pyrrhon too, they're a bit more chaotic though. There's also stuff like Artificial Brain and Ingurgitating Oblivion leaning in a slightly proggier direction.

e2: oh yeah, left wing metal - Dying Fetus

quote:

Time to punish the few who succeed
Level the playing field, claim your equity
Shown by the organizers is proof enough
Possessing the knowledge that they're hosed up
The goal of disorder and the notch of arrest
Fills your back-story and who you detest
Will there be a time to pay for this poo poo?
Maybe after the earned professorship

The flames of discontent
Now they will burn
Instigate, occupy
Bedlam is here

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Apr 8, 2018

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Slugdge are a bunch of human respecting god damned liberal slimes

Also Panopticon. Very awesome dude, very awesome music. New double album just came out.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
The new La Armada album whips rear end and also is lefty thrash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TM8NdGw6Y

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

The new La Armada album whips rear end and also is lefty thrash https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9TM8NdGw6Y

Maybe the best band in town

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Saw them a few nights ago and they put on the absolute best show

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

That La Aramada album is great.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

COOL CORN posted:

Saw them a few nights ago and they put on the absolute best show

tour with screaming females? that's coming through here soon, guess I should go

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

kumba posted:

You should because both Thou and Screaming Females own

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

overt politics in metal are usually lame imo. like i dont want a guitar guy rasping lyrics about how enver hoxha was right about everything even though it's absolutely true

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Alvarez IV posted:

just listen to crust punk

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

A human heart posted:

overt politics in metal are usually lame imo. like i dont want a guitar guy rasping lyrics about how enver hoxha was right about everything even though it's absolutely true
Being brutally honest, I like it when I (at least partially) agree with the politics because I get all pumped up about smashing the system or whatever. I wouldn't want all metal to be about politics but it's nice to have the option.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

Being brutally honest, I like it when I (at least partially) agree with the politics because I get all pumped up about smashing the system or whatever. I wouldn't want all metal to be about politics but it's nice to have the option.

Same. Also Body Count owns and that last album they released was really good.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Body Count rules because it’s exactly what you hear in your head when you think about Ice T making metal. That last album was great.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Kilometers Davis posted:

Body Count rules because it’s exactly what you hear in your head when you think about Ice T making metal. That last album was great.

Yeah that sums it up perfectly. The cover of "Institutionalized" is still one of the funniest cover songs I've ever heard, and video makes it 100x better.

https://youtu.be/X9jXnZS3ouU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Hot Diggity! posted:

That's some tasty drumming. Any similar bands you'd recommend?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

il_cornuto posted:

Oh yeah Pyrrhon's latest album probably isn't quite what you're looking for but it has a great takedown of the free market (The Invisible Hand Guides the Whip). The lyrics on that album are overall great.

e: Wark Say, I assume you've tried Ulcerate and Demilich. You might like Pyrrhon too, they're a bit more chaotic though. There's also stuff like Artificial Brain and Ingurgitating Oblivion leaning in a slightly proggier direction.
Will check Pyrrhon out, then! :)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

A human heart posted:

Tbh I would listen to this without a second thought if it exists

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

kumba posted:

Yeah, both bands were incredible. Thou didn't do any covers like they normally do (they do great Nirvana covers) but were still irresponsibly heavy.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
If you're bitter and disillusioned with politics, listen to Megadeth. This has been the protocol for like, 30 years. The only thing that's changed is you now have to listen to Megadeth from 30 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEupVsL07E

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

30 years ago Dave Mustaine was insulting gay people and suggesting the USA should build a giant wall along the Mexican border, and he's got more conservative since then.

quote:

In 1988, in response to the British government's criticism of homosexuality, Mustaine said: "More power to them. It says in the Bible that men should not lay with men like they lay with women. I mean I don't wanna gently caress up and not go to heaven." In an answer to a question about Judas Priest having an overt homosexual image, "I don't wanna talk about this. The last thing I need is a bunch of homos picketing us." In 2012, on KIRO-FM he was asked if he supports gay marriage and replied: "Well, since I'm not gay, the answer to that would be no." He was then asked if he would support legislation to make gay marriage legal and said, "I'm Christian. The answer to that would be no."

In a confrontational 1988 interview with Sounds journalist Roy Wilkinson, Mustaine spoke against illegal immigration, and stated that he would "build a great wall along the Mexican border and not let anybody in..." if he were President of the United States

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 8, 2018

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I think you missed the "listen to Megadeth" part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrH87Ml5zz8

The crowd singing along to the riffs is really cool.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm just saying it's a weird band to suggest for people who are disillusioned with politics.

As for singing along to riffs, I'm not even a big fan of Iron Maiden but this is great:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epYKVcHrVr0

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Zodijackylite posted:

If you're bitter and disillusioned with politics, listen to Megadeth. This has been the protocol for like, 30 years. The only thing that's changed is you now have to listen to Megadeth from 30 years ago.

The 30 years ago part is key for another important reason: If you buy the remastered versions you might not survive to the end of the album.

The audio balance is better in some ways, it fits in a little better with modern tastes, but the composition changes they made are loving amateur bullshit.

Put in the effort to hunt down pre-remaster CD's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Megadeth remixes are awful because of the loving triggered snare and for using garbage outtakes of tracks. Completely ruins what made the original mixes good.