Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Bringing home baby!

'94 Honda Magna 750, which was my first bike. I had to sell it back in the day, and have been looking for another - finally found one that wasn't overpriced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

The_Raven posted:

Bringing home baby!

'94 Honda Magna 750, which was my first bike. I had to sell it back in the day, and have been looking for another - finally found one that wasn't overpriced.

Nice! I've been waiting for a reasonably priced one to pop up. They're good bikes but not worth the $3k+ most people are asking. Ergos are more standard than the typical "flying starfish" cruiser positioning and the v4 is smoother and more powerful than higher displacement potato-motor bikes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
What? Those later model Magnas definitely have a splayed-out riding position with forward controls. The earlier ones have you more tucked in though. My wife had a 1984 VF500F and it was pretty rad. It could walk away from my 1300cc l/q efi Vstar.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'll definitely take yall's word that they're good performing bikes, but boy are they boring looking.

lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IGDuO3anBY

lolol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMqhxiYAOik

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 6, 2018

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I think it's ok to tell people not to force a passion on themselves. Motorcycling seems like something some people force themselves to keep wanting to do because they'd be seen as a pussy if they didn't like it. It's ok to not like something. live and do nothing forever and ever amen.

I don't like dan in that video

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

How does someone like that get actual subscribers? Sounds like he's just got a bunch of buddies to do all the work for him. And he stripped his oil plug and rode it while it was leaking so he could make his tryhard video. What a tool.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

The_Raven posted:

Bringing home baby!

Very cool. That was also my first bike. The suspension and brakes are an adequate for that motor and crusing around. I quickly outrode both and needed an upgrade. Still a really interesting cruiser.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

clutchpuck posted:

What? Those later model Magnas definitely have a splayed-out riding position with forward controls. The earlier ones have you more tucked in though. My wife had a 1984 VF500F and it was pretty rad. It could walk away from my 1300cc l/q efi Vstar.

Splayed out? Not from where I'm sitting... They aren't rearsets to be sure, but you aren't tickling the front tire with your toes like on, say a Shadow. I have no problem getting up on the pegs without having to haul myself up by the handlebars.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Gorson posted:

Nice! I've been waiting for a reasonably priced one to pop up. They're good bikes but not worth the $3k+ most people are asking. Ergos are more standard than the typical "flying starfish" cruiser positioning and the v4 is smoother and more powerful than higher displacement potato-motor bikes.

Yeah, they've been $3K forever it seems, but the going rate seems to have dipped to around the $2K level. Got this for $1200, and it's exactly what I would expect at that price - a little scruffy cosmetically, and a couple of bits of mechanical "character", but it still goes like hell. My other bike ('09 Royal Star Venture) is also a V4, I love the smoothness and linear power delivery.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Here's my FZ6 Fazer (with the optional fairing). Bought this used last July with 4k miles on the clock. Now has 7.8k miles

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Put some luggage and a small screen on the MT-10 awhile back.

Poker run, a balmy 8c in Korea today. Just some of the bikes we have.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Azza Bamboo posted:

Here's my FZ6 Fazer (with the optional fairing). Bought this used last July with 4k miles on the clock. Now has 7.8k miles

Nice.

A shame I only ever rode the Learner restricted version of that here. It completely hosed the engine/gearbox and made shifting bloody awful and put me off having one which is a shame because its a nice looking bike, and I'm sure the unrestricted ones are fine.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

nullscan posted:

Poker run, a balmy 8c in Korea today. Just some of the bikes we have.

Ohhhh neat! Would love to hear more about riding in Korea.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Furnace creek, Death Valley. Same spot where the DR650 swallowed a valve in 2015.

2200mi trip spanning the southwest. rolled 10kmi on the ktm since purchase, AT at 6kmi.
CNT branded pump (motherfucking PO said it was a Carter) died in Death Valley, bypassed it and rode to Pahrump without a fuelpump on 87 octane. 950s a beast.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

cursedshitbox posted:

Furnace creek, Death Valley. Same spot where the DR650 swallowed a valve in 2015.

2200mi trip spanning the southwest. rolled 10kmi on the ktm since purchase, AT at 6kmi.
CNT branded pump (motherfucking PO said it was a Carter) died in Death Valley, bypassed it and rode to Pahrump without a fuelpump on 87 octane. 950s a beast.

Where all you headed?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Infinotize posted:

Ohhhh neat! Would love to hear more about riding in Korea.

Lane splitting / white lining is expected. Always assume that Korean drivers will do the dumbest possible thing and you won't be surprised. A lot of winding country roads, lots of mountain twisties, just spoiled by a lot of speed bumps.

You have to get creative when going long distance because we're not allowed on the main toll roads, and city traffic is usually pretty congested. But I've been riding here for six years and loving it.

The club culture is pretty good, no 1%ers and while most clubs are American military, contractors or government workers, there's quite a few Korean Harley or BMW clubs. It's pretty funny, as you'll be on the highway and see a formation of 20 GS1200s fully geared out or a shitton of Harleys all 100% decked out in custom leather work and stuff.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
New bike, 2004 Yamaha Fz6n. It's has done 28k miles. PO lost interest and had done like 4 trips the last 2 years. In his late 20s with family and renovating his house... It was pretty cheap, but it was also not pretty, has been sitting uncared for.
PO has plastidipped it matt black and used what looks like permanent marker to darken his front indicators. maybe he had a rebel/ murdered out look phaze.

Some earlier owner installed leo vince slip ons, de-catted it. I didn't see a power commander in there, but there was an mystery small connection from the battery that ran backwards under then air box that I gotta trace.
It has a tidy tail + led rear indicators and brake light. It has adjustable aftermarket levers and fot pegs that was actually ok. Bagster tank cover and solo seat cover.

I've installed heated grips and cyclops 7k lumen led light. Ordered Givi top box mount + soft side bags rails. The givi mount is on this model is not a heli landing platform, it's not that far back.

Things to do:
  • Some kinda wind defectors for the hands. I ride bikes near freezing, they help.
  • Brake fluid, looked kinda dark
  • Inquire about shop price for a valve check. It's a 24k mile item, it has not been done.
  • Change other fluids, fork oil and coolant. oil was done last year.
  • Change oil, oil filter and spark plugs because POs lie.
  • Remove all the crap plastidip.
  • order new tires, they had some wear left, but not that much, contemplate how street vs adventure I want them.
  • Replace brake lines with stainless, lookes like original rubber+fiber mesh lines.
  • Get more keys made, PO had only the red master key with the immobilizer code source..

It's pretty drat fun to ride a bike with so much rpm to work with. I've never owned a proper inline 4 before.

And gently caress fairings forever, I got proper waterproof klim gear. Clean air rules.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 8, 2018

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s a good bike™️

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I was ogling an '04 Fazer 6 on holiday last month, it's a good looking bike, congrats. Love that tidy undertail exhaust.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Renaissance Robot posted:

I was ogling an '04 Fazer 6 on holiday last month, it's a good looking bike, congrats. Love that tidy undertail exhaust.

It warms my butt at high revs. Lifesaver in the winter. Mine's an 07 S2, but not ABS.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

lollers, spare keys are 100 usd a pop(with local tax etc) + whatever the dealer charges to code them.

Someone claims you can do the chip coding yourself http://cruiser.mototribe.com/discuss/yamaha-chipped-key.

Have anyone here done that?

Edit: there was a period in the url.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 9, 2018

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Link works now. Good to know when shopping for auction bikes. Not having the red key is a very costly affair.

Nitrox fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 10, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I go for not losing the keys. It has worked out thus far. I'll definitely keep this in mind if it does happen. It's worth a shot for a few bux

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Apr 9, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

So which brothel did you stay at? :v:

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

Supradog posted:

lollers, spare keys are 100 usd a pop(with local tax etc) + whatever the dealer charges to code them.

Someone claims you can do the chip coding yourself http://cruiser.mototribe.com/discuss/yamaha-chipped-key.

Have anyone here done that?

Edit: there was a period in the url.

The service manual for my bike even includes instructions for coding your own keys, so it's definitely possible.

Someone tried to steal my Yamaha and ruined the ignition barrel, I looked at every option I had to keep my immobiliser and ECU, replacing the barrel and getting it cut to match my existing keys, getting a new barrel and keys cut/coded etc. but in the end it was cheaper/easier for me to just replace the lot. I got an ignition barrel, immobiliser, ECU and petrol tank cap with all the keys off eBay for something like £100. The only downside is the key to get the back seat off is still my old one :shrug:

ArcticZombie fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 12, 2018

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

ArcticZombie posted:

The service manual for my bike even includes instructions for coding your own keys, so it's definitely possible.

Which bike is that? It is a Yamaha right? I can probably use the same process if it's from the same era(mid 2000), as I doubt they have many different immobilizer systems.

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
It's a 2006 Yamaha MT-03. The service manual is shared with the XT660R/X/whatever. If you can't find it online I can post the instructions after work.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

Thank you! I found it, it's the same process as described in that webpage. I'll test it tomorrow after I get the physical keys cut at the locksmith.

Edit: Yes, worked after some fiddling. the bit about starting the engine first then waiting for the immobilizser to kick in after 30 secs was the important bit.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 13, 2018

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Oh hey. I bought a tractor today.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Damnit stop moving your poo poo around I'm trying too compliment your bike :argh:

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Damnit stop moving your poo poo around I'm trying too compliment your bike :argh:

Sorry! I fixed it!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Got some great riding in yesterday, I think around 450 miles. The corbin is worth every red cent

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

M42 posted:

Got some great riding in yesterday, I think around 450 miles. The corbin is worth every red cent

Cool biek. :rock:

I had a Sargent I really liked on my other SV and I've been trying to hold put for a used one to pop up on ebay. I really need to just get another new one. And a lil windscreen. That's all it really could use!

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
After an interesting turn of events involving the horn being possessed by an electrical short and going off at 1 AM, my baby (well, the two-wheeled one) is back on the road. Also I have a bit of a theme with my eternal projects.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I had a Sargent I really liked on my other SV and I've been trying to hold put for a used one to pop up on ebay. I really need to just get another new one. And a lil windscreen. That's all it really could use!
Take the plunge and just buy it. I had an ebay alert for sargent/corbin for 2 years and it never tripped. Once people buy them, they keep them.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The fazer I posted earlier is my first proper bike.

The bike has only got heated grips and that lower fairing. Everything else is stock, but I don't intend to keep it that way or to "hold value" on this machine. I love the bike and I think I'll be its last owner.

I find I have a blast going out for rides on country roads and I rarely ever go long distance on it. I also use it to commute/get around on journeys of no more than an hour long. I'm considering some mods:

An air filter I can hose down.
Brighter lights, and maybe a mod to have a dipped beam on both lights.
Connect the heated grips at somewhere other than the battery, maybe the taillight.
I'm considering an exhaust because I love the way the engine screams when it's going, but I wonder if I'll end up regretting it given that I use this to get to work. When I'm pissed off after having rushed breakfast again, not wanting to be awake, do I want the bike shouting at me?

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Is there any big difference between the Corbin and Sargent? I saw a Sargent for 125ish on eBay not too long ago and I kind of regret not grabbing it.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
Depends on the bike? I happened to try a buddy's vstrom that had a Sargent and was amazed. They're slightly cheaper so I didn't bother and trying out the Corbin.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Sargents are usually taller than oem and corbins are lower. Additionally the sargent’s butt cuppin’ area is farther back. I’d say sargents work better for taller people and corbins for shorter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Not the best picture but I finally took the tuono out for the first time since probably October since it was 81 degrees today in PA. So glad i took out the battery for the winter and tendered it. I changed the oil and instantly fired it up. A lot more metal on the mag plug than I would have liked but the last 3 changes I didn't even remove that little plug so oh well.

Bike fired right up and took it out all day. drat its fast, loving love this bike.

Only registered members can see post attachments!