Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

So It Goes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/87h2uf/patrick_rothfuss_released_the_name_of_the_wind_11/?st=JF9ZTB7L&sh=a8030292

I actually forgot what the average conception of Rothfuss books were lol. “An absolute masterpiece”.

There is a weird fascination with the books that I succumbed to for a while as well. I remember giving to a friend who reads way more and much more diverse books then I do (same person who gave me a copy of Shadows & Claws) and he said it wasn't great which really surprised me at the time. It make sense now that someone who seeks out and reads things like Book of the New Sun, Gormenghast, and good nonfiction books too would have a pretty good sense of the real quality of fantasy writing.

Looking back, the body of work he had to compare it too paints Rothfuss as a low level talent who's writing books that appeal to people's basic desires for what they want from a book and doing it well. It's like a typical OC Mary Sue fanfiction where nothing bad ever happens to the main character who also somehow is a charming rogue who can do everything he tries and has tons of "then everyone stood up and clapped" moments where he dunks on 1-dimensional villains who do things like bringing the girl the Kvothe is crushing on to his musical performance, then try to sabotage the performance, only to have Kvothe pull out a master level reversal and show how great he is.

The books are fun if you like them, but they cannot stand up to to an average level of critical discourse. They are basically the harlequin romance equivalent of fantasy books, where it ticks off all the things people want to read without challenging or upsetting them for a more complex overall narrative.

If you actually read some of the comments further done, many of them are "yeah NOTW was great when I read it, but WMF wasn't and all of a sudden looking back NOTW isn't that good" so its pretty likely that in 10-15 years Rothfuss is just another mid level fantasy writer with 2(maybe 3) books to his name that never made waves or brought something new to the genre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

pentyne posted:

There is a weird fascination with the books that I succumbed to for a while as well. I remember giving to a friend who reads way more and much more diverse books then I do (same person who gave me a copy of Shadows & Claws) and he said it wasn't great which really surprised me at the time. It make sense now that someone who seeks out and reads things like Book of the New Sun, Gormenghast, and good nonfiction books too would have a pretty good sense of the real quality of fantasy writing.
You know BravestOfTheLamps personally?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

So It Goes posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/87h2uf/patrick_rothfuss_released_the_name_of_the_wind_11/?st=JF9ZTB7L&sh=a8030292

I actually forgot what the average conception of Rothfuss books were lol. “An absolute masterpiece”.

quote:

Well I think it's a masterpiece OP. If something has that much of an effect on you personally it is.

The internet was a mistake.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

At least people in that reddit thread are getting hung up on the fairy sex and Adem sections. Those were the parts that made me stop. However I definitely did enjoy Name of the Wind on a first read.

Either my English major failed me or I failed it.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Name of the Wind works if you shut your brain off and enjoy it as fantasy trash.

It really only became widely hated in response to Rothfuss' pretentiousness and Wise Man's Fear.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
NOTW is garbage that turns the average nerd into an overly defensive sadsack and that's a lot more interesting than the actual book.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Name of the Wind works if you shut your brain off

why do people keep saying stuff like this as if it's a good thing

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
tastes great if you cut out your tongue

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

ukonvasara posted:

why do people keep saying stuff like this as if it's a good thing

What makes you think I think its good?

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Ya know this is pretty good if i make myself dumber on purpose

Ostiosis
Nov 3, 2002

I read name of the wind trying to figure out what I was missing because it was recommended so much. I even started the second one but there was a part in the library where he makes a lame joke at his rival and there's a litteral "and then everyone laughed and clapped" part lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ostiosis posted:

I read name of the wind trying to figure out what I was missing because it was recommended so much. I even started the second one but there was a part in the library where he makes a lame joke at his rival and there's a litteral "and then everyone laughed and clapped" part lol

The best part of that joke was that they had to explain it to the reader because Rothfuss couldn't think of a clever enough joke not to be based on the color of a tunic and a fake disease. Even Shakespeare wasn't above "Yeah? Well I hosed your mom" jokes.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
So is the new book out yet?

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah it's really good.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
My uncle does editing for DAW books and he got me an advance copy and I read it and it's really good you won't believe what hijinks Kvothe is up to in this one boy howdy.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

SpacePig posted:

My uncle does editing for DAW books and he got me an advance copy and I read it and it's really good you won't believe what hijinks Kvothe is up to in this one boy howdy.

Let's just cut to the chase. How much money does he have and when, exactly, does he have or not have it? Don't leave out any detail! :allears:

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Let's just cut to the chase. How much money does he have and when, exactly, does he have or not have it? Don't leave out any detail! :allears:

If you have never shitpost on the internet you couldn't possibly understand.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

SpacePig posted:

Paragraph on becoming the king killer, but you wouldn't be interested in hearing that story. 400 pages of fairy sex.

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
In the Ready Player One movie, there's a minor character who looked a hell of a lot like a cleaned up Rothfuss and I had a mild attack of annoyance thinking that he would have scammed his way into a Spielberg movie.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Captain Hotbutt posted:

In the Ready Player One movie, there's a minor character who looked a hell of a lot like a cleaned up Rothfuss and I had a mild attack of annoyance thinking that he would have scammed his way into a Spielberg movie.

A cleaned up Rothfuss still just looks like a well-fed homeless person.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

Captain Hotbutt posted:

do you mean the aunt's abusive boyfriend?

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

HIJK posted:

do you mean the aunt's abusive boyfriend?

I think he means the guy who works for IOI as a pop culture expert, the guy who the redhead lady kisses at the end for no reason

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

mp5 posted:

I think he means the guy who works for IOI as a pop culture expert, the guy who the redhead lady kisses at the end for no reason

Ohhhh him. Of course the big difference between that guy and Rothfuss is that actor actually delivered what he was supposed to, on time! :lol:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

HIJK posted:

Ohhhh him. Of course the big difference between that guy and Rothfuss is that actor actually delivered what he was supposed to, on time! :lol:

:iceburn:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
RPO and King Killer actually feel pretty similar in terms of the audience they're pandering to and certainly in terms of how they throw women at their main characters as rewards.

light for the lost
Apr 1, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
i drop my pants and my rear end falls off

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
The comments are more or less what you'd expect.

quote:

Hapless Morty and genius mad scientist Rick have traveled to parallel dimensions and other planets, but this might be their most incredible journey yet: They’re going into Dungeons & Dragons in a new comic book crossover miniseries from IDW Publishing and Oni Press. And who better to guide them on their campaign than inveterate D&D player and fantasy author Patrick Rothfuss?
https://www.tor.com/2018/04/09/patrick-rothfuss-rick-and-morty-dungeons-dragons-crossover-comic/

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
:getin:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I'll be honest - this isn't quite how I expected book 3 to be.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Remember when we were cracking jokes in this thread about how Rick would talk about being poor if he were a Rothfuss character?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I wonder how good Morty's going to gently caress the space fairy they meet before they get to the planet of Fuckos, the aliens that love to gently caress.

3DHouseofBeef
May 10, 2006

There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man PICKLE RICK!

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I see he has a co-writer. Good move on the publisher's part if they ever want to see that book in print.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Patrick Rothfuss, a Grown Man posted:

I love Rick and Morty with a powerful love, and I’ve played D&D since the 5th grade. So when they approached me about writing a story with both of them together? That’s some serious you-got-chocolate-in-my-peanut butter $#!& right there. I’m in. I’m all the way in. I’m gettin’ that chocolate all up in the peanut butter. Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious.

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Jesus Christ

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Rothfuss often treads the thin line between prose and poetry, and fortunately it's excellent poetry that he brushes up against.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The good part of peanut butter and chocolate isn't the stickiness! This guy... he likes good things, but the wrong way.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
"Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious: the Patrick Rothfuss Thread "

Alternately,

"Like, deep in. All the way in. It’s going to be sticky and delicious: A Namer's guide to the Fae"

spandexcajun fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 15, 2018

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

You know Rothfuss would be the creepy DM who sticks sex poo poo all over his players, you just know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
There's no homeless people in Rothfuss's town because he eats them.