Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Every day I get to go home without some shrill harpie having taken my eyeballs out is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

Every day I get to go home without some shrill harpie having taken my eyeballs out is a good day.

Oh, are you on lunch? Well let me tell you about how lovely the service in your store is starting with you since you are 'on lunch' and not treating me witg the respect i deserve.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I eat lunch behind the register and throw croutons at people who are dicks about it.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

I eat lunch behind the register and throw croutons at people who are dicks about it.

One day one will catch that crouton with thier rear end cheeks and asseat in front of you. It will be... disturbing.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheAsterite posted:

I only worked at a small local MtG and Sports card shop and Subway for a couple months before that as far as retail goes. Wasn't too bad.

Subway is terrible and I hate it, a lot

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

I worked at an Old Navy before the bookstore, and a farm supply store before that.

I’ve seen people be let go because they got sick and didn’t have the money to go to a doctor for a note.

I’ve driven back to work for the mandatory holiday meeting in a literal blizzard that took my 6 hours to get through. And they cancelled the meeting without calling me.

I apologize for confusing you with the other poster, but seriously calm down. You don’t have to defend the retail industry.

You live in America, dude. Which industries, exactly, do you think don't do these things? I'm in a unionized profession composed entirely of individuals with college degrees. We also have relatively strong legal protections and a large amount of inherent credibility, and these things you're describing are still present there.

I thought I was exceptionally annoyed last night because I was drinking, but even sober today, you strike me as insufferable. rear end kissers get small, short term promotions and moves up. The foolish, weak, shortsighted, and those with inflated opinions of their own ability get upset by this. People with competence and spines are the ones that truly move up the ladder.

We can wave anecdotes at each other, but I think it's pretty evident that you're a loser with the mentality of a loser. Christ, I'd take ten more Lord Budes in this thread than one more whiny bitch.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

For someone who’s advice is “chin-up” you really don’t seem to have a sunny disposition.

I’m just going to put you on ignore since you don’t really contribute to the thread. Instead you seem to be content in making GBS threads up.

And judging by your rap sheet you do this a lot so no loss.

Beastie fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 12, 2018

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Beastie posted:

For someone who’s advice is “chin-up” you really don’t seem to have a sunny disposition.

I’m just going to put you on ignore since you don’t really contribute to the thread. Instead you seem to be content in making GBS threads up.

And judging by your rap sheet you do this a lot so no loss.

A tuck-tail and flee kind of man. Thanks for offering your advice on how to advance in a competitive career field!

And my advice is hardly "chin-up." It's don't be a defeatist bitch like this turd. Competence and work are rewarded in every field, even if this pathetic specimen didn't manage it.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Seriously dude. gently caress off.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

litany of gulps posted:

Competence and work are rewarded in every field.

Lol.

Imagine pretending to know about how retail works, and then posting this.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zenithe posted:

Lol.

Imagine pretending to know about how retail works, and then posting this.

Imagine being so pathetic that you can't even comprehend this truth. I don't know what shithole corporation you worked for, but I'd say a good 60-70% of the Wal-Mart ASM/Shift Manager/Store Manager people that I knew didn't even have a college degree. Even the new ASM's, worked to the bone and probably making no more than 12-15 an hour, if you really calculated it out, had a higher take-home salary than most households in this country. Nevermind anything beyond that.

Sure, there were 350 employees at peak time in the store. Maybe 10-12 had a solid middle or upper class wage, but the fact was that those people were strong. Their strengths were varied, but it wasn't based around race or class or education. It was based around merit. No mere rear end kisser was making more than a lower class wage in some dead end CSM or bullshit hourly manager position. Our district managers and vice presidents weren't rear end kissers or well educated rich kids. They were angry, hungry people that fought their way to the top.

Bitch and whine about the unfairness of everything. Move to another industry and play Nintendo all day. Shitpost with your one-line trash about how ignorant everyone else is, but you can't dismiss reality. If you aren't a garbage person, you can actually make a real career and shocking amounts of money in retail. Fact is though, most people are trash. You probably are.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
This is the worst derail.

For content of some type, I finally got a chance to read a bunch of articles the Economist had on AI and how it’s going to affect a shitton of areas, especially customer service facing roles. The only real bright spot is that so far customers still want some form of personalization and actual person interaction. But it’s going to be a combo of big data and big brother, and it’s probably going to be a big impact over the next 3-5 years minimum for most of us.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Buddy, if competence and hard work is what gets you to the top, Donald Trump wouldn't be President of the loving United States

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

litany of gulps posted:

Imagine being so pathetic that you can't even comprehend this truth. I don't know what shithole corporation you worked for, but I'd say a good 60-70% of the Wal-Mart ASM/Shift Manager/Store Manager people that I knew didn't even have a college degree. Even the new ASM's, worked to the bone and probably making no more than 12-15 an hour, if you really calculated it out, had a higher take-home salary than most households in this country. Nevermind anything beyond that.

Sure, there were 350 employees at peak time in the store. Maybe 10-12 had a solid middle or upper class wage, but the fact was that those people were strong. Their strengths were varied, but it wasn't based around race or class or education. It was based around merit. No mere rear end kisser was making more than a lower class wage in some dead end CSM or bullshit hourly manager position. Our district managers and vice presidents weren't rear end kissers or well educated rich kids. They were angry, hungry people that fought their way to the top.

Bitch and whine about the unfairness of everything. Move to another industry and play Nintendo all day. Shitpost with your one-line trash about how ignorant everyone else is, but you can't dismiss reality. If you aren't a garbage person, you can actually make a real career and shocking amounts of money in retail. Fact is though, most people are trash. You probably are.

Retail is great, look at Walmart's working conditions as an example of how the industry is a success - an actual person, 2018

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Litany of Dumbassery, more like

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Duckman2008 posted:

This is the worst derail.

For content of some type, I finally got a chance to read a bunch of articles the Economist had on AI and how it’s going to affect a shitton of areas, especially customer service facing roles. The only real bright spot is that so far customers still want some form of personalization and actual person interaction. But it’s going to be a combo of big data and big brother, and it’s probably going to be a big impact over the next 3-5 years minimum for most of us.

Can't wait to spend an extra 15 minutes trying to bypass an obstinate robot in order to get to a human being without any real power every time I call up insurance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Imagine digging through someone's post history so you can use their hobbies to make a dig at them in a retail venting thread.

I had a friend who busted rear end at Walmart, constantly making up for work other people weren't doing, dealing with chronically being understaffed, etc, and they got nothing but burned out to the point of basically having an emotional break.

Maybe some other walmarts are better, but lmao at the idea that it's a true meritocracy. It's like any other retail - yeah, you can claw your way up the chain but it's rarely based on hard work alone.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

MC Hawking posted:

Can't wait to spend an extra 15 minutes trying to bypass an obstinate robot in order to get to a human being without any real power every time I call up insurance.

It took my store like six months to get some replacements for our broken pallet jacks. We still have like three broken ones. One of the replacements doesn't work because of a safety feature which makes it useless for its intended purpose.

These jacks cost around three hundred dollars each, brand loving new.

I'm sure the five-thousand dollar stock-bot will be promptly replaced when a drunk pushes it over for not telling him what aisle the playing cards are on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I will never understand the mindset of being so cheap about repairing or replacing stuff that you actively harm your business.

Working at a Subway I just remember feeling like we had a broken AC for the longest time - maybe there was a legitimate problem getting someone along to repair it, but I'm pretty sure the boss was just a cheapass with the condition of many other things in the store. It'd be fine if this was just a manner of mild employee discomfort, but it basically meant doors were left open so the place didn't turn into a sauna when the ovens were operating. Open doors in the middle of summer means insects. Seriously, we had loving flies just wizzing around while we were trying to put sandwhiches together. I can't tell if it was maybe not as bad as I remember it, or if teenager me was just not nearly horrified enough at how messed it was and came to terms with it through copious amounts of apathy.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
The money to fix things or replace parts comes out of our SM's bonus so...yeah

Our hand wash sink leaks and one espresso machine wont stay calibrated but his bonus!!!!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I will never understand the mindset of being so cheap about repairing or replacing stuff that you actively harm your business.

Being penny wise and pound foolish is a universal pitfall. See: IT services being underfunded then a B suite exec bitching about things being broken.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

MC Hawking posted:

Being penny wise and pound foolish is a universal pitfall. See: IT services being underfunded then a B suite exec bitching about things being broken.

It very reliably happens to any company whenever Accounting gains power over anything. The Spreadsheet is your god and you will genuflect before it.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Oxyclean posted:

Working at a Subway I just remember feeling like we had a broken AC for the longest time - maybe there was a legitimate problem getting someone along to repair it, but I'm pretty sure the boss was just a cheapass with the condition of many other things in the store. It'd be fine if this was just a manner of mild employee discomfort, but it basically meant doors were left open so the place didn't turn into a sauna when the ovens were operating. Open doors in the middle of summer means insects. Seriously, we had loving flies just wizzing around while we were trying to put sandwhiches together. I can't tell if it was maybe not as bad as I remember it, or if teenager me was just not nearly horrified enough at how messed it was and came to terms with it through copious amounts of apathy.

This sound horrible. If I walked into an eatery in the summer and there was no AC it would have to be pretty loving amazing food to make up for it. If flies were buzzing around the deli meat I would walk right the gently caress out.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

This is the same reason we haven't had LPG fuel for a week and a half. This this used to get fixed within one weekday, but when I asked one of the managers about it, I was told we don't sell much. That's probably true, but that fuel is mostly used by cab drivers, and it's pretty bad for your long term health as a business to give them a reason to change their habits.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Recently I've noticed our produce fridge has been about 15 degrees warmer then it should be, and the explanation was simply "oh its heating up". If that is the case I hate to see July... Anyways, yesterday we had the health inspector come and visit. Suddenly our fridge is back to being 15 degrees cooler. Yeah, sure thing, I'm sure you guys save a bunch of money not cooling the fridge down all the way in the hotter months.

As an aside, the health inspector bitched at us for having our cupped fruits stacked 2 high. Cupped fruits. That are pasteurized. And don't need to be refrigerated.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

It very reliably happens to any company whenever Accounting gains power over anything. The Spreadsheet is your god and you will genuflect before it.

I genuflect before the altar of my register every day. My actions feed its never ending desire for meaningless consumption.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

MC Hawking posted:

"We spared no expense!"

A coworker of mine was bitching about teachers whining and needing to have their pay cut or outright fired if they went on strike. Keep in mind she has been grandfathered in under an old old pay scale so she makes about $16 an hour. To run copy machines. And most people, even the ASMs, make about $13 tops.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Minimum wage should be 20 bucks an hour, no exceptions.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

therobit posted:

Minimum wage should be 20 bucks an hour, no exceptions.

A living wage would probably be better, but given you can’t even get the Gov to raise minimum wage to $10 a loving hour, that’s basically a pipe dream.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Last summer, our store's AC broke. Cue two months of wrangling between corporate and our mall over whose responsibility it was. Meanwhile, it's summer in Oklahoma and we don't have air conditioning in our fitting rooms.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
It's super cool when your district manager slashes the store's hours two days before the end of the week so you go from 35 hours to like 15.

After I get that nice bit of news I check the schedule for the next couple weeks and the salaried managers both have 45 hours a week, and the remaining employees have like ten hours each. Motherfucker why even schedule me for a three hour shift? Just dont schedule me. This is almost as bad as when I was at gamestop, jesus christ.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Three hour shifts are retail management's way of letting employees know that they are surplus to requirements

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'm starting to notice that. Me and one other guy who's leaving to go back to school in a few weeks are the only shift supervisors there. I'm hoping against hope that when he leaves I'll get some of his hours for a while, but I know they're just gonna hire someone from another store and keep me at like 15 hours a week.

I know I need to find another job and I'm sending out resumes right and left but to be one of the best employees there and be rewarded with 15 hour weeks when I have bills to pay is a slap in the dick.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Yeah I'm starting to notice that. Me and one other guy who's leaving to go back to school in a few weeks are the only shift supervisors there. I'm hoping against hope that when he leaves I'll get some of his hours for a while, but I know they're just gonna hire someone from another store and keep me at like 15 hours a week.

I know I need to find another job and I'm sending out resumes right and left but to be one of the best employees there and be rewarded with 15 hour weeks when I have bills to pay is a slap in the dick.

Good luck! You're not getting those hours. Ask me how I know,

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
If you want hours, just get every one else to quit!

I'm part time. I have 46.5 hours this week. The boss wants me in early tomorrow. Everything hurts.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Am I Being An rear end in a top hat Manager?

Usually when I hire new people I make sure to tell them however many hours they'll initially get, typically somewhere around 15-25hrs or so. But it seems like the last few times I've hired anybody I've immediately had to have them fill in for sick people or last minute vacations or whatever. So instead of 15hrs they instantly get like 30-35hrs. Then everything calms down again and they're back to 20ish hours per week like we initially discussed.

I haven't ever really been in the position of depending on at least X number of hrs to pay my bills, I've been pretty lucky in my work and living situations. So I'm wondering if this weird kind of yo-yo situation with expectations might screw with my new hires. It is a pretty difficult and stressful position which is almost never exactly how they expected it to be. Over the last few years it seems like just the reality of the job has weeded out people who aren't capable of doing it, but I'm also curious if maybe the swing in hours is causing people to get frustrated and leave.

Of our 11 employees (counting us managers) I have 5 who have been around for 3+yrs, 3 with over 2yrs, and the rest are just a rotating bunch of new hires. I expect a certain amount of turn over, but I wonder how much the inconsistency in hours is really affecting people. I try to sit down and talk with my guys as much as possible, but I get the feeling they just want to tell me whatever they think I want to hear rather than try to talk about anything that's frustrating them.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

Fluctuating shifts absolutely 100% gently caress with people's financial stability to the point where people will worry they can't pay rent.

One of the benefits of getting a part time contract is you have some stability versus being a casual, so I'm not sure how this is even a question. It should be self-evident that stability is better than no stability. People don't want full time contracts for the shiny title, they want the stability.

Going from 30 hours down to 20 is the difference between me being able to afford bills+food versus just barely covering my rent.

If my current job cut me back that much, I would immediately start contacting managers I know at other stores to arrange a transfer out, and would give my current managers no notice at all because if they don't owe me anything, I don't owe them anything either.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

lol there was a time in the store when hours were slashed so bad that there was a week i went from 40 the week before to a whopping ilke 5 because i wasn't full time

i think that was like right before i got promoted to shift supervisor so they could give me hours again, a fake title at the time because someone else ruined it by being lazy and pointing at the words on her nametag

Relatedly I'm still really mad about ~ * ratios * ~ and some oft quoted statistic that it costs 4000 to replace and train a part time employee in direct and costs but benefits for full time are more expensive

Why the gently caress we optimize for payroll instead of store function, quit it you jackoffs

I need to get out of corporate retail

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Apr 13, 2018

Odonata
Nov 5, 2009
Nap Ghost

Inspector 34 posted:

Of our 11 employees (counting us managers) I have 5 who have been around for 3+yrs, 3 with over 2yrs, and the rest are just a rotating bunch of new hires. I expect a certain amount of turn over, but I wonder how much the inconsistency in hours is really affecting people. I try to sit down and talk with my guys as much as possible, but I get the feeling they just want to tell me whatever they think I want to hear rather than try to talk about anything that's frustrating them.

Hello fellow oppressor of the masses! I also have a staff of 11 people. 4 of us are 10+ years, 3 are 3+, and the remaining positions seem to be unending new faces. I'm also in a mythical land where hours are consistant week after week. I think there is always going to be a certain amount of turnover from vaguely unsatisfied peoples. My last new hire stayed all of 4 weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Shugojin posted:

Why the gently caress we optimize for payroll instead of store function, quit it you jackoffs

Because labor costs are vastly easier to quantify and evaluate than store function to bottom line profitability.

You might be right that store function is better "bang for your buck," but it's really hard for management to justify that, whereas labor is dollars and hours, ez pz.